Team-BHP - Some design thoughts – Cars sold in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Some design thoughts – Cars sold in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/93708-some-design-thoughts-cars-sold-india.html)

Getting into the year end, I am sitting at home, clearing off some annual leave. As usual the thoughts divulged into cars, and started thinking of the splurge of cars we had this decade.
Loads of cars have come and gone, some still surviving. In those cars, some looked like great designs when launched, some were controversial (read mixed reactions), some of them were flawed from the beginning, and some looked like extremely safe designs.
Here I am looking to list a few models in some broad categories (from the past and present):
  1. Not in production, but aged gracefully, and ooze character (still seen on road, but not in production)
  2. Some flawed designs
  3. Maybe touted as chic now, but could fade away in a few years.
  4. Best lookers in the current crop, and will pass the test of time in the next few years
  5. Refreshing new models

Interested to hear the thoughts from the fellow T-BHPians – with a list of around 3 cars (sold in India) in each category.

Please note that these are just personal preferences, and not to demean or glorify any specific models. As the saying goes – beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder :)

Here is my list:
  1. Previous Gen BMW 5-series – E60 (Bangled to perfection)
  2. Old Honda City (great proportions and a great car)
  3. Pre-facelift Ford Ikon - The 1.6 days (a show stopper when launched, and still retains the character)
  1. New Honda City (This was a shocker, especially as a replacement for the old Honda city)
  2. Swift Dzire (A case of misfired cosmetic surgery)
  3. Mahindra Logan (Retro looks – in the wrong way)
  1. Chevrolet Beat (A chocolate hero in the hatch family)
  2. Nissan Micra (Plastic overload)
  3. Hyundai Verna (Blown transformer)
  1. Skoda Laura (Simple lines, and so classy)
  2. Mercedes Benz C-Class Avantgarde (A handsome Merc!)
  3. Fiat Linea (Finest Italian espresso)
  1. Skoda Yeti (Love it or hate it, does command a second glance)
  2. Volvo XC60 (IKEA employs Steve Mattin)
  3. Facelifted BMW X5 (Simply the best looking SUV)

Ive added some of my submissions to your list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2175515)
Here is my list:
  • Not in production, but aged gracefully, and ooze character (still on roads, but not in production)
  3. Pre-facelift Ford Ikon - The 1.6 days (a show stopper when launched, and still retains the character)
  4. SKODA SUPERB - old (pre-2009 shape) - Truly Superb looking car.
  5. SKODA Laura L&K - old (pre-2009 shape) - Lovely looker indeed.
  6. FORD Mondeo - still looks like a killer car.
  • Some flawed designs
  1. New Honda City (This was a shocker, especially as a replacement for the old Honda city)
  4. ZEN Classic - what were Maruti thinking with all that disgusting looking cheap chrome?
  5. ZEN Estilo - what is that thing? Looks rubbish compared with the old Zen.
  6. RITZ - like an Auto crossed with a Car - an oddball egg shaped buggy.
  • Best lookers in the current crop, and will pass the test of time in the next few years
  4. Fiat Grande Punto - delicious and will always look stylish, the way an Italian car should do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vb-san (Post 2175515)
  • Some flawed designs

All these cars have quite a success in the Market. Dzire is no nonsense car & people have accepted it a lot. NHC was also well accepted by customers. Logan is not that popular due to Renault.

Dont know why all people keep talking about Dzire's looks. Agree that its not best looking but not that bad either. Its the most selling sedan in the market for last two years by the way ;)

Adding my bit:
  4. SKODA SUPERB - old (pre-2009 shape) - Truly Superb looking car.
  5. SKODA Laura L&K - old (pre-2009 shape) - Lovely looker indeed.
  6. FORD Mondeo - still looks like a killer car.
  7. Skoda Octavia
  8. Mitsubhishi Lancer (the first kind with the split grille) - still looks great
  4. ZEN Classic - what were Maruti thinking with all that disgusting looking cheap chrome?
  5. ZEN Estilo - what is that thing? Looks rubbish compared with the old Zen.
  6. RITZ - like an Auto crossed with a Car - an oddball egg shaped buggy.
  7. Hyundai Verna (Blown transformer)
  1. Chevrolet Beat (A chocolate hero in the hatch family)
  2. Nissan Micra (Plastic overload)
  3. Hyundai i20 (Too many cuts and lines)
  4. Fiat Grande Punto - delicious and will always look stylish, the way an Italian car should do.
  5. VW Jetta - elegant and classy
  6. VW Polo - understated German
  7. Honda Civic (One Jap that you'll drool at over and over again)
  1. Skoda Yeti (Love it or hate it, does command a second glance)
  2. Volvo XC60 (IKEA employs Steve Mattin)
  3. Facelifted BMW X5 (Simply the best looking SUV)
  4. The new 5-series (lines that just seem to flow)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aniketi (Post 2175860)
All these cars have quite a success in the Market. Dzire is no nonsense car & people have accepted it a lot. NHC was also well accepted by customers. Logan is not that popular due to Renault.

Dont know why all people keep talking about Dzire's looks. Agree that its not best looking but not that bad either. Its the most selling sedan in the market for last two years by the way ;)

Think he meant only the "design" part of the Dzire.
And when you say that "the Logan is not that popular due to Renault", maybe you could also look at the Dzire's success this way: Its the most selling sedan in the market for last two years only because it is a Maruti? :OT

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 2175548)
Ive added some of my submissions to your list.

Defintely agree Shankar - especially on the Zen classic and Estilo :)
And how can I miss the Mondeo!

Tried to keep my list to 3 each, and hence left out the Punto. For me, it is the best looking hatch we have.

Quote:

Hey Aniket, by no means Dzire is a bad car, I just mentioned on the odd design job of adding a boot to the good looking Swift. I do have a few relatives who are very happy with the car.
And for Logan - a very good case of excellent space management, but looks belong to the 80s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by one-77 (Post 2175916)
Adding my bit:

Agree with your take on the Lancer, i20, Verna and the Polo.
And you're spot on about the Civic. I will say it already aged quite gracefully, and look very fresh and young.

The new 5-series is a good looking car, but it does not have the kind of individuality or design flare of the previous 5. Looks so much like the 7-series - just my take :D

1. Baleno
  2. Old Honda City
  3. Accent
  4. Superb(09)
  1. New Honda City
  2. Swift Dzire
  3. Verna
  4. Wagon R 2010 (liked the 2008 better)
  5. Aveo U-VA
  6. Teana
  1. Chevrolet Beat
  2. Fortuner
  3. Civic
  4. Scoripo (Already loosing the wow factor)
  5. Fluence ??
  1. i20
  2. ANHC
  3. Cruze
  4. Accord
  5. C Class 11 (clean)
  1. Elantra 2011
  2. BMW X6 Crossover

Quote:

I guess the point was about looks and it is not really the best looking cars that sell the most. Sometimes a superb car in all manners may be a big flop (or not do that well) just on account of previous company reputation. - Eg Punto, while a lot of not so great lookers do well (happens all the while for Maruti models- though the swift is a great looker) just due to the company reputation and overall package that is offered.

The new Swift Dzire based on the new Swift may actually break new ground if the pervious feedback is considered and the rear looks well connected.

But then looks are overall a personal matter and not all of us buy the best looking cars.

vb-san,here is my contribution- as you mentioned,without prejudice or expertise-just a beholder with an eye for beauty. Corrections are gratefully welcome!!

Not in production, but aged gracefully, and ooze character (still on roads, but not in production)

Premier 118 NE
Maruti Esteem
Opel Corsa

Some flawed designs

Maruti Zen Estilo
Premier Rio
Tata Aria

Maybe touted as chic now, but could fade away in a few years.

Maruti A-star
Maruti SX4
Fiat Linea

Best lookers in the current crop, and will pass the test of time in the next few years

ANHC
Cruze
New Corolla Altis

Refreshing new models

New Fiesta
ANHV
B&W X1

1. Previous Gen BMW 3-series – E30
  2. Old Honda City
  3. Older Palios. (Double barrel headlamps on a hatch, anyone?)
  4. Old gen Accord.
  1. New Honda City
  2. Swift Dzire
  3. Indigo! Not the manza.
  4. Xylo
  5. Petra
  1. Chevrolet Beat
  2. Nissan Micra
  3. Punto
  1. Skoda, Any Skoda!
  2. Tata Safari
  3. Fiat Linea
  1. Skoda Yeti

Standard 2000! I cannot forget this car. Classic British design and the only affordable fastback in our country to date. What a design it would have been in its days? Deserved a better engine though.

This is quite a surprise. This thread was started exactly 7 months back, and suddenly seeing some action :)

Here goes my list
Not in production, but great looking: Tata Siera, Skoda Octavia, Skoda Laura
Bad ones: Hyundai Verna Transform, Maruti Ritz
Okays: Hyundai i20
Best: Honda Civic, Ford Fiesta Classic, Fiat Linea, Fiat Punto

The posts have covered almost all cars, but guys how could you miss the Contessa!?:Shockked:

Not in production, but great looking: HM Contessa - undoubtedly the best looking and the only muscle car in India.

hdnivara: Is the Superb not in production any longer!? I don't think so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by charthom (Post 2431453)
vb-san,here is my contribution- as you mentioned,without prejudice or expertise-just a beholder with an eye for beauty. Corrections are gratefully welcome!!

Some flawed designs

Maruti Zen Estilo
Premier Rio
Tata Aria

Not sure how you can say that Aria is a flawed design without Prejudice or Expertise :Shockked: but then there are enough folks right here in the forum who do agree that its a well designed and engineered product with a flawed pricing strategy

Quote:

Originally Posted by aravind.anand (Post 2431639)
Standard 2000! I cannot forget this car. Classic British design and the only affordable fastback in our country to date. What a design it would have been in its days? Deserved a better engine though.

Thinking about Standard 2000 an old joke comes to my mind.
A former Chief Minister of Kerala and a former Central Minister of Heavy Industry, late Shri K Karunakaran had a great fad for latest cars and fast drives. When the Standard 2000 was launched he got one as a state car, but immediately got fed up with it and the car was presented to Olympian PT Usha as a state gift for her achievements. The fun is she used to get out of the car and out run it to reach on time for her practice session, because of the car's impotent engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hdnivara (Post 2431654)
Here goes my list
Not in production, but great looking: Tata Siera, Skoda Octavia, Skoda Laura
Bad ones: Hyundai Verna Transform, Maruti Ritz
Okays: Hyundai i20
Best: Honda Civic, Ford Fiesta Classic, Fiat Linea, Fiat Punto

Add to it the Sipani Montana and the D1.