Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2010, 19:03   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: How to Identify good petrol pumps on Highway or in new Cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
This maybe funny but i generally tend to follow my nose in this issue. I usually just try to sniff for stronger petrol odor few steps around a particular bunk. The bunk that has the strongest petrol odor is the winner. I generally found speed petrol bunks better than the indian oil ones in this regard.
I think you are somewhat right in this regard. But how to look out for a good diesel out-let? (I can't stand the smell of diesel, but love petrol's smell)
Old 26th December 2010, 19:50   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think you are somewhat right in this regard. But how to look out for a good diesel out-let? (I can't stand the smell of diesel, but love petrol's smell)
really no clue of testing diesel. I just use usually IBP. Hope they're good, fingers crossed :-P
Old 27th December 2010, 14:54   #63
BHPian

I avoid filling up diesel on highways, because there, the number of customers are less as compared to cities and that too are not fixed, so the chances of adultration/less quantity are more as compared to the pumps in cities where the customer is fixed and the pump owner is beware of getting notorious for malpractices in the region.
This is my general assumption, and exceptions are everywhere, but IMO it will work 80-90% times.
Old 27th December 2010, 18:54   #64

Well I look for two things:

1. Company: I like to enter fuel bunks which are owned by reputed companies, which invite you to test their quantity and quality.

2. Air: I like to ensure my tyre pressure is monitored on the highway, because of changing temperatures, altitudes, highway speed is higher than the city speed, continuous driving etc. It is very disheartening to note that even the best fuel stations in the city care very little for the complimentary services. So I believe if it is a quality fuel station, run meticulously - it will not compromise on the free services.
Old 28th December 2010, 04:50   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikonik View Post
Well I look for two things:

1. Company: I like to enter fuel bunks which are owned by reputed companies, which invite you to test their quantity and quality.
Reputed companies such as ??
Old 30th December 2010, 23:42   #66

Such as Bharat Petroleum - Pure for Sure, Hindustan Petroleum - Club HP, Shell etc.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:23   #67
BHPian

Hi Druva
unfortunately there is no single sure shot way,except for the trusted method of trial and error. Have tried to find out on the same lines but to no use, except that check out for parked trucks/vehicles as against vehicles that are getting fuelled and moving out which is an indicator of good trust for the bunk. best option is to tank up at startpoint for a better mileage return. Normally highway drvg does not impact too much fuel consumption.
Old 19th February 2013, 20:36   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Just in case it has not been posted earlier:

List of IOC COCO's :
http://forest.delhigovt.nic.in/ioil.htm
http://www.petrolpump.co.in/oil-comp.../Rajasthan.htm
Old 20th February 2013, 21:17   #69
BHPian

As others have said, my order of preference

- Tried and tested petrol bunks when driving in my own city.
- When in a new town, go to the petrol bunk which has some crowd..
- Avoid filling up in highways.. heard of stories where fuel was adulterated with water and vehicles stalled midway
- If i have to fill up in highways search for one which has trucks filling up.. They usually know which petrol bunks are good.
- If i have to fill up on highways, avoid using credit card at all costs.. Use cash..

And finally a bit of look and feel matters too.. Unkept petrol bunks with shabby looking employees generally give you the impression that they are out to loot you..

Doesnt mean that the vice-versa is true of course.. Some one could rip you off by smiling directly at your face..
Old 25th June 2013, 22:30   #70
BHPian

Now that I own a Diesel car, it scares me every time i fuel it up on highway.
There is no real way to access the fuel quality. It would be so unfortunate if
the engine and injectors are damaged by bad fuel.
Old 25th June 2013, 22:47   #71
Senior - BHPian

I have done a lot of highway driving over the last 7 years of owning two diesel cars and I follow a very simple method.
1. Always look for a fuel station, which has a sunshade/rooftop. This would ensure that the outside temperature has minimal effect on the fuel.
2. Look for COCO outlets and avoid the the ones which have many AUTOWALLAS queued up. I believe and prove me wrong if anyone can is that these guys who run their auto's on the highways are least bothered about the quality of fuel and more about the cost of fuel. So, they would 'normally' prefer going to palces where they can make a quick buck while filling up.
3. I prefer the ones which are closer to the next approaching city/town or the one which is just outside of a just passed city/town. No particular reason for doing so, but somehow these have worked.
4. Someone here said dont pay by credit card, but I have always made payments on my card, I walk with the attendant to make sure its taken care of and I ama lways standing near the pump when the diesel is filled in. I dont talk to the attendant even when they try to strike a conversation. I just give them a smile. I do get cashback on my card for fuel, so why miss it?
Old 25th June 2013, 23:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I have done a lot of highway driving over the last 7 years of owning two diesel cars and I follow a very simple method.
1. Always look for a fuel station, which has a sunshade/rooftop. This would ensure that the outside temperature has minimal effect on the fuel.
2. Look for COCO outlets and avoid the the ones which have many AUTOWALLAS queued up. I believe and prove me wrong if anyone can is that these guys who run their auto's on the highways are least bothered about the quality of fuel and more about the cost of fuel. So, they would 'normally' prefer going to places where they can make a quick buck while filling up....
Thanks, but how do I check/know if the fuel station is COCO..?
Old 26th June 2013, 13:16   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
Thanks, but how do I check/know if the fuel station is COCO..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkk View Post
If its a company owned, it will be displayed in some huge hoarding which cannot be missed.
Hope that helps.

Prior to the journey, is there any way to obtain the information of the COCO pumps that will fall on the way.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2013, 13:37   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
....and stand by checking on fuel quality when refuelling is on. I stop refuelling if I suspect quality of fuel.
Thanks - this is new!
You pour it into a bottle first? Intrigued.
Old 27th June 2013, 13:58   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Thanks - this is new!
You pour it into a bottle first? Intrigued.
1. Smell - I grew up in a kerosene stove household
2. Colour - Diesel has its colour
3. Measure - reset at beginning & filling to my requirement till the pump is turned off

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks