Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2010, 20:43   #2041
BHPian

Hey all,

After going through the lateral upgrade thread I have made up my mind to go for a used SUV.I hvae a budget 15-17Lacs.I have seen a 2007 pajero GLX (mh 04 cd 999 vip no ) run 38000Kms and the dealer is asking for 15Lacs.I searched in carwale and there are three cars for the same price.Is it a good price??
I am also considering a used captiva/outlander/endy. If someone know a good used dealer in Mumbai do let me know.

Thanks in advance!!
Old 9th July 2010, 22:59   #2042
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperfect View Post
Thanks for all the replies!
Just curious, what other equipment does the RS offer?
how much do RS alloys cost?
xenons,spider alloys 16 inch (about 15 grand a piece from the A.S.S), sunroof, recaro part leather seats, nice front bumper, vrs embroidery, cruise control, climate control, discs at the rear etc.
Old 10th July 2010, 09:29   #2043
BHPian

@fordprefect:A scan should cost you around 2k.Should take an hour or so.They just scan the car using a software called VAGCOM for any engine error codes and stuff.In addition the service history of the car would also help ascertaining its genuinity.

Although 30k seems a little early for a tyre change, in case of the 1.8 TPi/RS, thats pretty normal.Reason being the amount of power being put down through the wheels.Even I got my tyres changed at 26k odd.They were good for another 5k or so.
Old 10th July 2010, 11:46   #2044
BHPian

Guys, I'm toying with the idea of picking a used optra.I wanted a budget car between 1-2.5lakhs.This is basically for my sister who has come down to India and will be staying with us for about a year.Her running might not be much.The used optra prices for a 2004-2005 model are about 3 lakhs.

1.8 LT A/T
Have seen one second owner automatic lt with 42k on the odo.asking price is 3.3 lakhs negotiable.
What are the things i should be wary of?Also the mileage of this car?

1.8 Ls
This is a single owner manual with 38k on the odo.New tyres and well maintained.it's a 2004 model registered in 2005.the asking price is 3 lakhs.

Please help me decide.I'm more inclined towards the Optra LT model.I would like some punch and decent fuel economy(10kmpl).

Also advice if i could look for other cars.I'm not able to find any low mileage OHC's.Please enlighten me about the other options i should look for.
Old 11th July 2010, 15:09   #2045
BHPian

What do these cars cost on the used car market in south India(specifically Kerala)?

- W124 Mercedes Benz E-Class
- Hyundai Sonata Embera Crdi
- Mitsubishi Cedia
- Hyundai Elantra Crdi
- Toyota Corolla 1st Gen
- Chevrolet Optra (with airbags)
- Ford Fiesta (1.6 maybe)
- Ford Mondeo DuraTorq (I haven't seen any here yet)
Old 11th July 2010, 15:32   #2046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashnerd View Post
What do these cars cost on the used car market in south India(specifically Kerala)?

- W124 Mercedes Benz E-Class around 4-7L
- Hyundai Sonata Embera Crdi 5-7
- Mitsubishi Cedia No idea
- Hyundai Elantra Crdi 3-5L
- Toyota Corolla 1st Gen 2.5+L
- Chevrolet Optra (with airbags) Saw one for 3 L 2years back
- Ford Fiesta (1.6 maybe) 3-5L
- Ford Mondeo DuraTorq (I haven't seen any here yet)
4-6L

Prices In chennai

Quote:
I am also considering such cars for my future upgrades.Out of the lot i like the MONDEO a LOT !!! Just love the superb quality interiors and back seat leg space

GUYS PLEASE SUGGEST ME A GOOD PETROL CAR IN 2-2.5

ALSO LET ME KNOW THE PRICE RANGE OF GETZ 2003-2006 MODELS

Last edited by joshguy : 11th July 2010 at 15:35.
Old 11th July 2010, 23:24   #2047
BANNED

@smashnerd, somebody here has purchased a used Cedia red sports edition. There is a review somewhere here.
Old 12th July 2010, 09:32   #2048
JLN
BHPian

Verna CRDI price check in bangalore

Guys,

What is a good price to pay for a Dec 2008 Hyundai Verna SX ABS in Bangalore.

Driven just 3500 kms (genuine as confirmed by Advaith Hyundai service desk)
Mint condition - was garaged and kept - so looks brand new.
Additions: Lenso alloys with Bridgestone Potenza 15 inchers. Roof LCD system.
Cars drives beautifully - new car smell still there in the plastics.

owner is asking 8.5. Is 8 lakhs a good price for such a new car (though it is more than 18 months old technically).
Old 12th July 2010, 09:42   #2049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLN View Post
Guys,

What is a good price to pay for a Dec 2008 Hyundai Verna SX ABS in Bangalore.

Driven just 3500 kms (genuine as confirmed by Advaith Hyundai service desk)
Mint condition - was garaged and kept - so looks brand new.
Additions: Lenso alloys with Bridgestone Potenza 15 inchers. Roof LCD system.
Cars drives beautifully - new car smell still there in the plastics.

owner is asking 8.5. Is 8 lakhs a good price for such a new car (though it is more than 18 months old technically).
+

New verna models are out - so probably the old one will have less demand now. Also she is 18months old, so even 8 Lakhs seem high imo.?
If you are willing to pay 8 Lakhs for a old car, why dont you consider buying a new one by paying some more money ?
Old 12th July 2010, 10:07   #2050
lsp
BHPian

Query Regarding CNG endorsement

I had posted this in Maglev CNg conversion thread , but I think it makes sense to post it here as well, as the car in question is a used one.
Mods: Please remove if u think otherwise.
---------------------------------------------

I have a query. Sometimes one comes across cars which have CNG but its not endorsed on the RC.

How easy/difficult it is to get the CNG endorsed on the RC, at a later point of time?

Someone told me that each CNG kit comes with a number which is used for endorsing it on the RC and this can be done only when the Kit is installed. As in within those first few days and not at a later point of time. Why I am asking this is that while looking for a used car I came across a couple of cars whose CNG was not endorsed. Does it make sense to buy such a car and then get the CNG endorsed yourself?

Does it make sense to go for a used car whose CNG is not endorsed and then do the endorsing yourself???

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 12th July 2010, 12:35   #2051
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjith_pm View Post
Guys, I'm toying with the idea of picking a used optra. This is basically for my sister who has come down to India
Go for the Optra LT Automatic. She will find it easy to drive.

Quote:
Her running might not be much. I would like some punch and decent fuel economy(10kmpl).
10 kmpl? Not a chance. My old Optra 1.8 LT manual used to give 8 kmpl in the city with AC on. Expect the automatic Optra 1.8 to give 7 kmpl. But seriously, this shouldn't be an issue since your sister won't be driving the car too much.

Quote:
1.8 LT A/T
Have seen one second owner automatic lt with 42k on the odo.asking price is 3.3 lakhs negotiable.
What are the things i should be wary of?
Seems like a decent price. 42k on the odo is not an issue - you will only have major maintenance issues close to 70 - 80k on the odo. Things to watch out for -

- See if the car has a service history. Else, check from the dealer where he got the car serviced.

- Optra suffers from wheel alignment issues. During your test drive, take the car to an open road. At around 40 kmph, take your hands off the steering wheel to see if the car pulls to the left or the right. Also, when you turn the car and release the steering, it should coming back to the centre position.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:40   #2052
lsp
BHPian

Saw a couple of cars on Sunday n Monday morning

--------------------------

2005 Wagon R, LXI, 53k kms, aftermarket power windows, central locking, gear lock, bumpers painted to body color. Asking price 2L non negotiable. No music system and original tyres which needed to be replaced ASAP.

Although the car was fine, well maintained by an IFS officer and drove well, the asking price was high IMHO. I gave a quote of 1.75L looking at the immediate expenses (Tyres & ICE).

2007 Santro, XO, 33k kms (yeah right!!). Checked the car out and outright could make out that it had been repainted. CNG which wasnt endorsed on the RC. Seemed a dealer car as it was heavily done up for the sale. Drove it and the engine sounded like it had clocked more than 80K kms. Left the car. The asking price was 2.25L.

A genuine Santro XO 2007 model with 33k kms would not be found below 2.5L in Delhi. It would not even enter the market as someone known to the seller would pick it up.

The market in Delhi is flooded with crooks whose only aim is to swindle you to the highest degree.

Last edited by lsp : 12th July 2010 at 16:46.
Old 12th July 2010, 16:49   #2053
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
I had posted this in Maglev CNg conversion thread , but I think it makes sense to post it here as well, as the car in question is a used one.
Mods: Please remove if u think otherwise.
---------------------------------------------

I have a query. Sometimes one comes across cars which have CNG but its not endorsed on the RC.

How easy/difficult it is to get the CNG endorsed on the RC, at a later point of time?

Someone told me that each CNG kit comes with a number which is used for endorsing it on the RC and this can be done only when the Kit is installed. As in within those first few days and not at a later point of time. Why I am asking this is that while looking for a used car I came across a couple of cars whose CNG was not endorsed. Does it make sense to buy such a car and then get the CNG endorsed yourself?

Does it make sense to go for a used car whose CNG is not endorsed and then do the endorsing yourself???

Single word, NO. Two points to remember 1 CNG cannot be endorsed to RC if the Invoice of CNG fitment is more then 15 days older and 2 As a rule of thmb, Never pickup a cng fitted car. Always try to procure good car and fit CNG by yourself only.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
Saw a couple of cars on Sunday n Monday morning

2005 Wagon R, LXI, 53k kms, aftermarket power windows, central locking, gear lock, bumpers painted to body color. Asking price 2L non negotiable. No music system and original tyres which needed to be replaced ASAP.

Although the car was fine, well maintained by an IFS officer and drove well, the asking price was high IMHO. I gave a quote of 1.75L looking at the immediate expenses (Tyres & ICE).

2007 Santro, XO, 33k kms (yeah right!!). Checked the car out and outright could make out that it had been repainted. CNG which wasnt endorsed on the RC. Seemed a dealer car as it was heavily done up for the sale. Drove it and the engine sounded like it had clocked more than 80K kms. Left the car. The asking price was 2.25L.

A genuine Santro XO 2007 model with 33k kms would not be found below 2.5L in Delhi. It would not even enter the market as someone known to the seller would pick it up.

Good Decision for both cars, spl the Santro

The market in Delhi is flooded with crooks whose only aim is to swindle you to the highest degree.

So true, ultimately this is why one should purchase with eyes wide open.

My answers in BOLD
Old 12th July 2010, 19:54   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
For those who are interested in a pre-worshipped Innova, here's a bit of useful info-->
A friend of mine sold his 2006 registered Innova for 7.10 lacs a week ago.

With the Tata Aria launch around the corner, I feel it's worth waiting a couple of months before buying used MUVs, as I feel that used MUV prices might just drop a bit

Interesting pics and discussion on the thread below :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1970346

Last edited by mooza : 12th July 2010 at 20:03.
Old 12th July 2010, 20:19   #2055
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
+

New verna models are out - so probably the old one will have less demand now. Also she is 18months old, so even 8 Lakhs seem high imo.?
If you are willing to pay 8 Lakhs for a old car, why dont you consider buying a new one by paying some more money ?
new one in bangalore come to 10+ lacs onroad. bangalore prices are crazy - both new and used.

Most Viewed