Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 19:33   #3346
BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon: Wise Choice or Folly?

Honeybee, the asking price of 1Lac for Ford Ikon which is 6-7 year old is decent. It depends on how the car is maintained also. I currently own a 2004 Ikon model and in the last 7 years I did not face any major problems with the vehicle.

First: are you paying the right price?
If you are paying 1L for the car it should come with all of the following:

- Tubeless tyres [original model normally comes with only tube tyres]
- It should have comprehensive insurance. [not just third party]
- Check for suspension should not make any squeezing noise [normally based on the driving behavior this must have already been reconditioned]
- Check if Aircon is working perfectly [Expensive if you have to make it functional].
- Check for brake pads [replacing it is costly]
- Make sure you check all electrical's. Just about an year back I had to replace my oxygen sensor. Damage to pocket around INR 5K. You can test this by checking how the car is starting - cold start once this is done take the car on a long drive under hot conditions or drive on high revs in 3rd gear. If the car doesn't stop then it should be working fine. [again we can only test.. but look out for this problem]

If all are in good condition than the asking price is reasonable.

Should you buy it?

About Ikon after 6years 10 month - 65K KMS

- Excellent ride and handling.
- Ride comfort improves greatly with tubeless tyres.
- Good front seat and back seat comfort.
- Engine is a delight [Ikon ROCAM Engine]
- Superb acceleration [retained even today]
- enough space for luggage.
- Your family will love it over your current santro.

If you want all of the above under 1Lac look no further. I know Ikons that have gone beyond 1.2 Lac KMS and are still going good.

Only suggestion is please upgrade head lamps if the previous owners have not done it. The original headlamps are not enough for night driving.
Old 20th August 2011, 21:05   #3347
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Thanks Nikhil for the feedback. What about the spares? I understand the maintenance would be higher than my Santro, but will there be any problems sourcing the spares?
Old 21st August 2011, 08:44   #3348
BHPian

I am keenly looking for an used SX4 AT.
I am banking on its low mileage stigma which I think can fetch me a good catch and will be my bargaining tool.
My current car has done 26K in 4yrs and 3 months and I don't think I would be driving anymore than this.

BUt there aren't many available.
I have had a look at a lot of used car websites. In addition have given my contacts to numerous dealers.

After a lot of search I founf this one on offer. But I think it is priced very very low. So am doubtful if something is fishy. I mean 1 yr old SX4 depreciating nearly 3-3.5L?
It is a 2010 model AT in sliver colour having 22K on odo. Insurance paid till Feb 2011.

BTW if anyone has any info of a decent SX4 AT pls PM me.

RGds.

Last edited by sindabad.sailor : 21st August 2011 at 08:45.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:21   #3349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sindabad.sailor View Post
I am keenly looking for an used SX4 AT.
I am banking on its low mileage stigma which I think can fetch me a good catch and will be my bargaining tool.
My current car has done 26K in 4yrs and 3 months and I don't think I would be driving anymore than this.

BUt there aren't many available.
I have had a look at a lot of used car websites. In addition have given my contacts to numerous dealers.

After a lot of search I founf this one on offer. But I think it is priced very very low. So am doubtful if something is fishy. I mean 1 yr old SX4 depreciating nearly 3-3.5L?
It is a 2010 model AT in sliver colour having 22K on odo. Insurance paid till Feb 2011.

BTW if anyone has any info of a decent SX4 AT pls PM me.

RGds.
2008 ZXI's are available in Kolkata between 390-410k, with about 25-35km's on the odo.
Old 21st August 2011, 09:22   #3350
BHPian

How much is a Logan 1.6 GLS 2007 with about 35km's on the odo worth?, car is in OK shape.
Old 21st August 2011, 13:43   #3351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee
Thanks Nikhil for the feedback. What about the spares? I understand the maintenance would be higher than my Santro, but will there be any problems sourcing the spares?
I love the Ikon but my suggestion stay away from used ones. The car will rip you off in service and part replacement; unless you are prepared for that.
Old 21st August 2011, 16:47   #3352
Senior - BHPian

Nitin, I am going to get it serviced outside, so the regular oil changes and such stuff wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. It's the parts that I am really looking to find more info about. To give an example, how much does an ORVM cost, or how much does the AC assembly cost?

I am intending to keep the vehicle with me for around two to three years.
Old 21st August 2011, 20:16   #3353
BHPian

How much for a mid-2006 Swift ZXi with ABS/airbags, with ~40,000 km on the clock? Thanks.
Old 21st August 2011, 22:01   #3354
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Nitin, I am going to get it serviced outside, so the regular oil changes and such stuff wouldn't cost me an arm and a leg. It's the parts that I am really looking to find more info about. To give an example, how much does an ORVM cost, or how much does the AC assembly cost?

the myth carries on, about ford spares.
Base service will cost you around the same outside, or at ASC.

But trust me, the level of service in ford is much better than anywhere else.

And you wont get parts outside, unless you are planning on doing the rounds for days and days outside.
Additionally, if you get it serviced outside, and some minor part is to be sourced, youll be stuck, and end up at ford itself.
Parts prices now are at par, pick any car in the same segment.
availability could be a probolem because of the defunct manufacturing status.
but that you would face in ford or outside, or say, even if you bought something like a baleno, or another similar spec car.

Last edited by mayankk : 21st August 2011 at 22:04.
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:50   #3355
BHPian

I am getting an offer for a 2005 May model Petrol Accent 1.6 GLS, 70k clocked, 2nd owner - for 2 Lakhs in Chennai. The car is in good condition, no repairs/changes required. Can somebody tell me whether it is worth it.
Old 22nd August 2011, 13:50   #3356
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

honey bee, I own an IKON, and trust me, the price of spares are almost always half cheaper than the Baleno and the Lancer. In some cases even the Accent. The oil filter costs just 150 bucks, same for the fuel filter.

IIRC, OE lower arm of the ikon costs ~2k, where as baleno costs ~4k. Same for lancer.

The OE AC evaporator coil of ikon costs ~4k, where in, baleno's costs a whopping ~20k, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong). Same with other parts, its all par or cheap than the competition, NOT costly.

A regular oil change will cost you under a grand, including the oil filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
The car will rip you off in service and part replacement
Nitin, could you please pin point which parts will rip you off, when compared to the competition?. It would be really helpful for prospective owners and existing owners like me.
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:23   #3357
BHPian

Quote:
Hi. Just test drive the car nicely before you arrive at a decision. Take a run on the highway. Try running it at good speeds. One of my friend bought a 2003 ikon for 1 lac in hyderabad. The car was temporarily fixed for a good test run, but after a month the engine mounting failed and he came to know that the fuel injectors were tampered with. He has spent 50k on repairing it. Kept it for one year. And something else has failed now. He is getting offer of 40k for it. So if you can, just take a known mechanic with you before you buy.

Vivek
Old 22nd August 2011, 14:41   #3358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs
honey bee, I own an IKON, and trust me, the price of spares are almost always half cheaper than the Baleno and the Lancer. In some cases even the Accent. The oil filter costs just 150 bucks, same for the fuel filter.

IIRC, OE lower arm of the ikon costs ~2k, where as baleno costs ~4k. Same for lancer.

The OE AC evaporator coil of ikon costs ~4k, where in, baleno's costs a whopping ~20k, it seems (correct me if I'm wrong). Same with other parts, its all par or cheap than the competition, NOT costly.

Nitin, could you please pin point which parts will rip you off, when compared to the competition?. It would be really helpful for prospective owners and existing owners like me.
Dear ,

I own a 7 yr old 1.6 as well which has clocked 65k on the odo. And I love the car.

The OE lower arm from the service center is 5.5k. A/c overhaul including evaporator coil is 8k. The ikon has a multiple-flow. Btw lancer is a 2 segments higher so the comparison doesn't make sense. The prices you seem to be quoting are probably not from authorized service centers.

In god we trust, rest should have data. My ikon was parked for an yr as I was traveling . The car needed 40k to start running and I am not complaining. And trust me my cars are always very well maintained - I take them as an extension of self.

My post was more to do with someone looking for a used car as a primary mode of transport will definitely feel ripped off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk

the myth carries on, about ford spares.
Base service will cost you around the same outside, or at ASC.

But trust me, the level of service in ford is much better than anywhere else.

And you wont get parts outside, unless you are planning on doing the rounds for days and days outside.
Additionally, if you get it serviced outside, and some minor part is to be sourced, youll be stuck, and end up at ford itself.
Parts prices now are at par, pick any car in the same segment.
availability could be a probolem because of the defunct manufacturing status.
but that you would face in ford or outside, or say, even if you bought something like a baleno, or another similar spec car.
Mayank - not sure if you are aware but for the last couple of months, ford doesn't have even a single service center in noida. Call up south Delhi ford to check
I own a 1.6 and don't intend to sell it but the service is way lackslidal sir.

Last edited by .anshuman : 23rd August 2011 at 12:05. Reason: Back to Back post within 30mins, Please use Multi-quote button when quoting more than one post. Thanks
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:09   #3359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin.rai View Post
The OE lower arm from the service center is 5.5k. A/c overhaul including evaporator coil is 8k. The ikon has a multiple-flow. Btw lancer is a 2 segments higher so the comparison doesn't make sense. The prices you seem to be quoting are probably not from authorized service centers.

The car needed 40k to start running and I am not complaining. And trust me my cars are always very well maintained - I take them as an extension of self.
Nitin, I really think your repairs were carried out atleast 2-3 years before. Because, as of Oct 2009, I got my LH lower arm replaced at PVS Ford, Calicut (Authorized Service Center) and I'm sure it cost me just about ~2k. Also, about 6 months back, I replaced the Evaporator coil at the A.S.S and it cost me ~4k.

Also, after Fords price reduction, I remember seeing a parts comparison chart in Ford ***, comparing the IKON, Dzire, and the Logan. It might be hard to believe, but, the IKON was the cheapest.

btw, what did you spend 40k on to get it started??. Starting problems might me due to fuel pump (~10k) and ignition coil (~4k), spark plugs (i guess 200 each), HT cables, Fuel Filter(150 bucks), battery (3k), starter motor(no idea, but I guess ~6k). Even if you replace ALL THESE, the total doesnt add up.

Could you please elaborate?
Old 22nd August 2011, 15:45   #3360
BHPian

Dhanushs, will shortly take a pic of the service receipt and upload from my Handheld.

The major ones were alternator (7600!); a/c, suspension (all 4), battery, fuel pump, labour. And this 40k does not include the Tyre cost
Btw, each wheel cap (OE) is 450 - after the price cut. And the work was done 6 months back.

As far as the competition comparison go, I had always take them with salt varying from a pinch to a sack - be it any.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks