Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:10   #3556
Team-BHP Support

Evaluation - 2008 Feb Honda Civic

What would be the price one can expect for the following car :

Honda Civic 1.8S MT
Model : 2008
Kms : Appx 31,000

Car is on company lease, and in excellent mechanical condition. Few scratches on the bumper, but those can be taken care of.

Please let me know.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:50   #3557
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
If its a no-expense car like it has new-like tyres; Brakes, suspension, etc in good condition, 2.5 is a fair price for both parties. Expect to pay 10-15k more if the car has ABS.

Though I would suggest you skip this and look at the Baleno. Slightly expensive parts offset the initial purchase value. You would get similar vintage Balenos for 2.00ish. Its better than the Swift in almost every respect.
I'm not buying I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend whose dad wants to sell. Although I'm shocked to hear the price. I was under the impression, also reading this thread, that 40k runSwift VXIs command around 3-3.5L?
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:11   #3558
Senior - BHPian

40k is fine, but its a 5 year old car and we are in the last quarter of 2011. Hit or flop. Long or short, big or small - all cars would depreciate 50% at the end of 5 years. The higher segment mostly depreciate in 50% in a little lesser @ 4 years. This includes cars like Civic too. e.g : A 4 hour old Civic goes for about 7 -7.5 which is essentially a 14 lak car.

Note that new VXI (non-ABS)
costed your friend's dad 5.05ish OTR Bombay in 2006. Now the market has lot more competition. 3-3.5 IMO is too high for the same.
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:08   #3559
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I'm not buying I'm enquiring on behalf of a friend whose dad wants to sell. Although I'm shocked to hear the price. I was under the impression, also reading this thread, that 40k runSwift VXIs command around 3-3.5L?
I think I'd made that claim of the swift prices. Yes I do see the average prices for VXis in the range of 3-3.5L here in Bangalore. Considering this is a mumbai vehicle, it would be a little lesser, maybe around 3ish if its a first owner, but 2.5 is too low in my opinion. Try enquiring around in a few places, I am not 100% sure since it is Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen
40k is fine, but its a 5 year old car and we are in the last quarter of 2011. Hit or flop. Long or short, big or small - all cars would depreciate 50% at the end of 5 years. The higher segment mostly depreciate in 50% in a little lesser @ 4 years.
I beg to differ with the statement here. Going by this logic, all 5 year old Altos (with OTR price 3L) should be available for 1.5L. On the contrary, you will hardly find any 5 year old alto for lesser than 1.8-1.9L. Depreciation is not necessarily fixed at any value like 50% at 5 years. It is largely car specific (car condition, no. of owners, kms done, etc), market demand specific (popular cars have more demand and hence more resale) and brand specific (maruti, honda and hyundai among the best). Resale also depends a lot on whether the car was a hit/flop.

Quote:
Note that new VXI (non-ABS)
costed your friend's dad 5.05ish OTR Bombay in 2006
I'm not sure if it works that way. No one remembers the OTR price of a particular model in a particular month/year, so value doesn't directly become 50% of 5.05L (OTR price in 2006) = 2.5L. Used car dealers actually calculate the value using an average of selling prices here for a particular model. They do this by frequently keeping in touch with their network of fellow dealers, and frequently updating the average price of a particular model of particular age.

For example, if an average value for a 2006 swift is 3L, the used car agent will inspect the vehicle and if he doesn't find any major faults, he will ask a few questions- is it first owner? if not, reduce 10k. next - is the odo reading under 50k? if not, reduce another 5k. Is the insurance going to expire soon? reduce another 5k. There could be more places where there could be decrease/increase in value. If the car is a topend trim, he may add 10k for ZXi. If all answers are in the positive, he will give you the original 3L quote. If not he will say 2.8L (3L - 10k - 5k - 5k).

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd October 2011 at 23:18.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 00:33   #3560
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2008 SX4 ZXI - Was it a good bargain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksdotcom View Post
Hi to Gurus,

1. Hopefully my bargain at 4.1 lakh was not too costly; would request kind experts to validate !

though I understand it is a personal and subjective one, still I know that experts here are well known to answer objectively!
I believe 4.1 was a fair deal,both for you and the first owner ; since you say you know the first owner and probably also know how the car was handled, you have the machine's history available.

The battery could have gone on a little longer ; since you've got it replaced,you'll be fine for at least 3 years.

Overall,a good car with all bells and whistles ; the only point here is that the 2008 model sports the older engine,but it's OK
Old 4th October 2011, 15:27   #3561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2008 SX4 ZXI - Was it a good bargain ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksdotcom View Post
Hi to Gurus,

I am feeling awkward, still you know to satisfy my curiosity I request for your help.

the curiosity is :-

1. Hopefully my bargain at 4.1 lakh was not too costly; would request kind experts to validate !

2. Before going for this car I was thinking of going for Ford Figo or a Swift (petrol only, as I have this feeling that Diesels are costlier to maintain), but looking at the equipment level, opportunity to own a sedan (read - a big car) and given that it was well maintained, i convinced my wife for a pre-owned one. How you guys will rate my decision, though I understand it is a personal and subjective one, still I know that experts here are well known to answer objectively!

thanks to all, much appreciated.
I think it is a pretty good deal. I recently bought a Dec 2009 SX4 ZXI for Rs6.1 (It was from True Value). So your 4.1 sounds pretty good.

It is also a good decision to buy a pre-owned sedan (I may be little biased since I also got one ). But I personally feel the SX4 is a very good preowned buy, it has been overshadowed by all the other new launches and hence u get good deals on it, and there are still few things that it does better than all the new launches (ground clearance for example).

Enjoy your ride!!
Old 4th October 2011, 17:23   #3562
Senior - BHPian

Folks need your advice. I have a 2008 DZIRE VDI { bangalore regn} and have driven about 46k. I was just thinking that if I get a decent value I can sell it and look at a bigger car, say the Linea since it is on discount now. As it is I have no problems with my current car. I had been to the fiat show room in Whitefield, Bangalore and they had quoted a price of Rs.5 lakhs for my car and they said they will also add another 15k as exchange bonus. So all in all it works to 5.15 lakhs. I bought this for 6.6 in 2008, but the current OTR is 7.6. The issue is I have just spent about 35k on the vehicle { 25k for new michelin 185/70/14 tyres and 10k for amaron battery}, so I was hesitant on the value being quoted. My car is a single owned one and there are no issues. I have added reverse parking sensors worth rs.3500. What do you all say? I need to spend another 4.3 lakhs to get the Linea emotion, which has the same features of my car, only ABS seems to be an extra. It is not that I need the linea right now, but I wanted to capitalize on the good re-sale value of the dzire which is there right now, but may crash once the new dzire cs is launched.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:41   #3563
Senior - BHPian

@motorworks- Since you dont have problems with your current Dzire i would suggest you retain it for atleast a year more. Dont worry about the resale Swift/Dzire DDIS have good resale and buying a Linea when its sales are 140 odd nos. would not be the best idea unless you completely sold on it . Unfortunately its a market dud and its going to prove in its resale. My 2 cents would be retain your current car for time being.
Old 4th October 2011, 18:46   #3564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks
Folks need your advice. I have a 2008 DZIRE VDI { bangalore regn} and have driven about 46k. I was just thinking that if I get a decent value I can sell it and look at a bigger car, say the Linea since it is on discount now. As it is I have no problems with my current car. I had been to the fiat show room in Whitefield, Bangalore and they had quoted a price of Rs.5 lakhs for my car and they said they will also add another 15k as exchange bonus. So all in all it works to 5.15 lakhs. I bought this for 6.6 in 2008, but the current OTR is 7.6. The issue is I have just spent about 35k on the vehicle { 25k for new michelin 185/70/14 tyres and 10k for amaron battery}, so I was hesitant on the value being quoted. My car is a single owned one and there are no issues. I have added reverse parking sensors worth rs.3500. What do you all say? I need to spend another 4.3 lakhs to get the Linea emotion, which has the same features of my car, only ABS seems to be an extra. It is not that I need the linea right now, but I wanted to capitalize on the good re-sale value of the dzire which is there right now, but may crash once the new dzire cs is launched.
Dzire enjoys a great resale value as you already know. Selling this and going for linea might just not be the wisest decision.
Not is it going to be that much of an upgrade as they share the same engine (MJD) and linea has just a tad more interior space (if not the same).
You should go through that thread -" 5 year old car sell or retain." that will clear most of your doubts.
Cheers!
Old 5th October 2011, 12:00   #3565
Senior - BHPian

@ishilinea & Karan, thanks for your feedback, I too felt the same and even when I did a TD of the lInea I felt it was not that much of an upgrade from the dzire. So I have decided to retain my vehicle for now, may be at least hold on to it for the next 2 years, till I clock 80k or so.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:13   #3566
Senior - BHPian

My next door neighbour is selling his 2001 esteem VX with 84k kms on the clock. The car is in pristine condition with CNG since last 50k kms/3 years. I will not need to spend anything apart from AC service next summer. He was asking for 1.25lac outside and straightaway said that I pay 1 lac and take the car. The car has new exhust, major service done including belts (timing too), pioneer USB CD player with JBL speakers. No major accidents but because of small dents he got the car painted 6 months back.

I have purchased pre-owned cars in past, so I have checked all the necessary stuff but is there anything specific to esteem that I should check? Also, is 1 lac including CNG a good price for a good condition car?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 6th October 2011 at 02:14.
Old 6th October 2011, 02:18   #3567
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I think 1lac is a fair price.

Few check points:
  1. Check the area where the front aprons are connected to the chassis ; you'll need to get under the car.If there is severe corrosion there,say No Thanks
  2. Check if the engine sips oil(don't think so as the G SERIES is a lamba race ka ghoda) ; kajal at the exhaust tip is a tell-tale sign.
All The Best !!
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2011, 02:31   #3568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ I think 1lac is a fair price.
Thanks Vigsom

Quote:
Check the area where the front aprons are connected to the chassis ; you'll need to get under the car.If there is severe corrosion there,say No Thanks
I will certainly get the car on lift to check the chassis... thanks.

Quote:
Check if the engine sips oil(don't think so as the G SERIES is a lamba race ka ghoda) ; kajal at the exhaust tip is a tell-tale sign.
Ya, I usually check this when buying pre-owned but since the exhaust is brand new, I couldnt check it this way.. But I think I can trust the neighbours for the same..
Old 6th October 2011, 02:48   #3569

Hi guys, found an immaculately kept 2006 Hyundai Tucson deep green in colour. The car's original owner is a retired Royal Air Force (Britain) pilot who now lives in Ahmedabad. 66000 kms on odo. Almost new yokohama tyres about 4000 kms old. Car has been regularly serviced at Hyundai a.s.s. Car is Gj 18 regd, and all papers and original pair of keys are available and clear.
The catch is i found the car through the owner's neighbour's driver(?!) who in turn informed a chain of people ultimately leading to my father's driver. Phew! The brokerage for this chain of 5 people (excluding our driver ofcourse) is quoted as Rs 25k. My grudge is the bunch of 5 did nothing more than just pass info on to the next until it reached me. The loan, the negotiating with the owner etc was all taken care of by yours truly with not a word from these back door brokers.
Is their "brokerage" justified? Only one of them is a real dealer/broker. Rest are just informants for all intents and purposes of this deal. Also what should the car's price be? The only accessories include a parking sensor set with a small distance display on the dash.
Old 6th October 2011, 13:04   #3570
BHPian

Came across a 2009 Honda Jazz with 12k on the odo for sale here in Hyderabad.
Considering the recent price cuts of 1.75 lacs, what would be a good price for the car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks