Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 01:15   #706
BHPian

Hi Team,

Looking for a used Maruti Swift Vxi, came across this deal. Will be checking the car
along with a mechanic this Saturday, but before even going that far the individual is not willing to go below the quoted price. This would be my first car, so looking ahead for valuable suggestions from Senior Bhpians, whether or not to go ahead.

Carwale Quotes:
Car Condition Excellent Good Fair
Car Value (Rs.) 3,60,500 3,47,200 3,28,000

Car Model : Maruti Swift Vxi with ABS/ RED colour
Year : April 2006
Kms Done : 23,000
Reason for sale : Buying a bigger car
Expected Price : 3.85L
No Accident History
Adittional Fittings:Original Swift alloy wheels and Pioneer Mp3 system

...Regards
Old 11th April 2009, 17:44   #707
BHPian

Hi Bhpians,

No replies, I wanted to update the information about the car. First and foremost I would like to thank all the Car Gurus for creating the help section, threads on how to purchase a used and value the same. I'm just a bacha (Kid) in this field, but with a good pickup :-).

Went and inspected the car as directed by the Gurus, and the individual selling was actually shocked to see the level of detail I was going through while the standalone inspection and also during the drive. Now to the details
1. The interiors of the car is very good, no torn seats from anywhere (has in housed seats no mods) , it has an Pioneer ICE with 2 rear Kenwood speakers,smooth gear shift, no wear and tear in the clutch,brake and accelerator pedals,all power windows work fine, central locking is fine, the basic controls work fine.
2. Now to the exterior, the red looks great as usual nothing new, there are scratches on top of the left rear wheel, there is a small scratch in the front and one on the right hand door side. The owner has not claimed the insurance so far and has also extended his insurance for another one year, so the same is valid through April 2010. The tires look great as he drives mainly in the city and occasionally drives it to Coorg, the threads look all used and waiting for the new owner, correct me if thats how you judge the tires.no issues with the wind shields, 2 mirrors.
3. Opened to bonut to check any leaks and just saw at a high level, things looked ok to me, again I'm no expert so was a little ignorant here. Started the car and check below the car for any leaks.

4. The car starts fine with no delay, took a small test drive, braking is smooth, pickup with and without A/C is proper, A/C cooling is fine, stereo works fine but not that great. Overall great "Feel Good" factor.

5. Verified the service book and he has also maintained a copy of 3 paid service bill, which has mainly basic oil changes and stuff. Claims no other servicing has been done. Has paid 6K for the insurance last week which would now be valid through next year.
Price: The price he is quoted is 3.85L. I have taken 2 days time to get back to him with my pricing.

My Usage: City driving and occasional long trips but within 200 KM max. Would be using it for 1.5 to 2 years.

Guess have almost covered everything that I'm aware of while buying a pre-owned car, since this is my first hand experience in buying a second hand car would be great if BHP gurus and other senior members of Team BHP throw some light here about how much would a good buy price would be.

I'm really sorry for not taking any picz, would have given a much better view.

Hope to receive a reply soon!!!
Old 11th April 2009, 19:06   #708
BHPian

Which Car to Sell ? Emotions Vs. Reality - What would you do ?

Hi All

While this forum is for which car to buy, Here iam posting a query for which car to sell ! Iam in a fix for im caught between my emotions vs. practicality over the sale of some cars . I thought it would be best to have some unbiased and independent opinion from people who might have been in similar situation and may be able to guide better.

To better explain the situation - iam outlining the issue against each case i own

Esteem 125000km
- 2000 Model and With over 125000 done, this car is still running fine. It has CNG Installed and runs most of the time for day to day work. However with recent overheating issues coming back again & again, iam considering selling it off but for all the time it has been with me, i just feel i should'nt sell it and let it be there. Driven avg. 100 KM per day

Baleno 72000km - 2005 Model and very well maintained and Still my Favourite but ever since Accord has arrived, it is used say 100-200 KM Per week that too when Accord sits idle or i have to go to cramped places in old city etc.

Indica 63000km
- 2003 Model with the daily usage is such that either esteem is used or Indica so either of them rests and one clocks 100 KM per day but they both dont run at the same time.

SX4 45000km - 2007 Model This is with my GrandMa and must have ! Dedicated for her use.

Accord 37000km - 2006 Model and Stays with me most of the time and does 300 - 400 KM in a week

Karizma 1400km
- 2007 model and It never went for 2nd service even and has been standing for atleast past 3-4 months.

Another fact is that My brother would be arriving real soon in town and he would need a car to drive too for day to day basis.

Now my question is, Is any of my car really lying Idle ? Shall i just sell Esteem or Indica or Even Baleno Off ? What would the Experts out here Say about this ?

My emotional side says keep them all but in Reality, i somehow feel they're loosing value each day and would be scrap.

I must however mention that all these cars are well maintained, given a wash every 2500 KM and Oil etc. changed every 5000 KM, the RPMs have never crossed 3000 Line in extremes and are driven around 1500-2000 Marks at the most in all gears. They all get a waxing job done every 15 days and look as good as new. I do spend a great amount of money maintaining them but of late, i ask myself , is it really worth it ?

So who wins ? Emotions Or Reality ? The ball is in your court and i await reactions from all of you out there !

Thanks & God bless !
Old 13th April 2009, 00:25   #709
BHPian

Hi Team,

Without inputs and approval from you I would not be in a position to go ahead with this deal. I need valuable suggestions from the whole team as this is going to be my first car and also it would cost me all my savings done so far and a little more.

What should be my maximum quote for this car? I would need to get back to him by tomorrow with the price I'm willing to buy at.

Awaiting comments from Seniors!!!

Thanks!!!
Old 13th April 2009, 18:58   #710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiz View Post
Hi Team,

Without inputs and approval from you I would not be in a position to go ahead with this deal. I need valuable suggestions from the whole team as this is going to be my first car and also it would cost me all my savings done so far and a little more.

What should be my maximum quote for this car? I would need to get back to him by tomorrow with the price I'm willing to buy at.

Awaiting comments from Seniors!!!

Thanks!!!
I guess a similar specification car would fetch somewhere around 3.20-3.40 here in Chennai. Bangalore prices are bit on higher side in comparison, so you can keep another Rs.15-20k cushion to it.

My guesstimate is in between Rs.3.40 to 3.60 Lakhs, depends on the condition of the car and the temperament of the seller. If this is from a direct seller, always you can pay some premium as direct owners generally do not tamper anything.

I don't think VXI (abs) comes with an alloys. Most probably that would be an additional fitment. All the best
Old 13th April 2009, 19:54   #711
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiz View Post
Hi Bhpians,

Has paid 6K for the insurance last week which would now be valid through next year.

Hope to receive a reply soon!!!

Though I am not sure, I doubt if it can be transferred to your name, being comprehensive insurance. Somebody knowledgeable in this regard please clarify.
Old 13th April 2009, 20:17   #712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
I guess a similar specification car would fetch somewhere around 3.20-3.40 here in Chennai. Bangalore prices are bit on higher side in comparison, so you can keep another Rs.15-20k cushion to it.

My guesstimate is in between Rs.3.40 to 3.60 Lakhs, depends on the condition of the car and the temperament of the seller. If this is from a direct seller, always you can pay some premium as direct owners generally do not tamper anything.

I don't think VXI (abs) comes with an alloys. Most probably that would be an additional fitment. All the best
Thanks a lot Surprise, it was indeed a great surprise :-). Have been refreshing this page since morning, probably the first car exitement. Appreciate your help.

That's right the the alloys are an extra fitment and have costed him 16K.

So going by what you have mentioned and also that its from a direct seller I could start quoting the price at 3.3L to go max upto 3.5L and it would be a good deal right?

Thanks!!!
Old 13th April 2009, 20:20   #713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitha View Post
Though I am not sure, I doubt if it can be transferred to your name, being comprehensive insurance. Somebody knowledgeable in this regard please clarify.
Thanks janitha for the inputs, awaiting a reply from the other members!!!
Old 13th April 2009, 20:45   #714
BHPian

Upped my budget to 4L, used car needed!!!

Hi all,
I had started a topic earlier about a good second hand car for around 2.5L. I almost bought a baleno before I lost it to a guy who offered more money than me. Anyways I ve upped my budget now to about 4L and am looking at a slightly higher segment. I came across a 2003 H2 toyota corolla with 57K on the odo for exactly 4Lacs and also a honda city 1.5 Gxi 2004 model for around 4.25L. Are these good deals? Please also suggest other models in this range. I m in urgent need of a car so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 13th April 2009, 21:51   #715
Distinguished - BHPian

Bought a Honda City EXi Jan 2005 last week for a relative, 25k km genuine on the odo, no accidental damage except both ORVMs needed changing. 3.6L. Good Elantra GLS, June 2005, 29k km, mint condition, 3.9L. Would suggest the Elantra - a great car going cheap in the used car market. Or the Honda NHC - really holds its resale value even with 2nd or 3rd owner.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:19   #716
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Bought a Honda City EXi Jan 2005 last week for a relative, 25k km genuine on the odo, no accidental damage except both ORVMs needed changing. 3.6L. Good Elantra GLS, June 2005, 29k km, mint condition, 3.9L. Would suggest the Elantra - a great car going cheap in the used car market. Or the Honda NHC - really holds its resale value even with 2nd or 3rd owner.
Thanks for the reply. Used car prices in delhi seem to be very low compared to chennai. I havent ever come across a 05 city for within 4L. same goes for the elantra.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:21   #717
BHPian

Also does antbody know if there are any problems with buying a car registered as a tourist vehicle, for personal use.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:28   #718
Distinguished - BHPian

If buying from True Value, that slightly higher price is to be expected - but worth it for that peace-of-mind since they throw in 1 year warranty/services too. Else, if private seller, your last offer should not exceed 3.6.

I would suggest you do a complete look-up through service records of the car to see it detailed service history. Any accidents that have not been revealed would show up in this lookup, assuming the current owner had it done thru a MASS.
Old 13th April 2009, 22:28   #719
Distinguished - BHPian

@ confusedguy: Check for an Elantra GT if you don't get a GLS in your budget at Chennai. And never, ever, buy a tourist vehicle for personal use. Don't even think about it...
Old 14th April 2009, 00:22   #720
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I would suggest you do a complete look-up through service records of the car to see it detailed service history.
Thanks Mag, this deal is from an private seller, as suggested by all would go ahead starting with 3.3L up to max 3.6L. Would update all tomorrow. Hoping for the best :-)

In case I would want to do a look-up through the service records, would the MASS be willing to share the details? The car was bought from Pratham Motors.

Most Viewed