Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 16:23   #8686
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hi guys,

Does buying a pre-owned Hyundai Verna 1.6 petrol (previous gen., non-fluidic model) make sense with a budget of 3 lac rupees, extendable to 3.25 lacs if the vehicle is in excellent condition? The location is Chennai. Would parts for this discontinued model be easily available for the next 3-4 years?

Since the daily usage is going to be quite less, fuel efficiency does not matter much. The variant also doesn't matter. Though ABS would be nice, I doubt if it would be available within that budget.

Are there any alternate cars I should consider in that budget? I'm looking at petrol, since diesels seem to have much higher residual value. Requirements are comfortable seats and a good A/C, ride quality in the city, reliability and low repair/upkeep costs.

Does anyone here have experience in buying a car from either T S Mahalingam & Sons or Jains' Car Shoppe? How trustworthy are these chaps?

Last edited by RSR : 17th December 2013 at 16:28.
Old 17th December 2013, 17:14   #8687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Does buying a pre-owned Hyundai Verna 1.6 petrol (previous gen., non-fluidic model) make sense with a budget of 3 lac rupees, extendable to 3.25 lacs if the vehicle is in excellent condition? Are there any alternate cars I should consider in that budget??
Hello,

previous generation Hyundai Verna are no doubt good cars but recently there are reports of their service (spare parts) being very costly.

If you are looking for a Petrol sedan with budget of Rs. 3 to Rs. 3.25 lacs, I will suggest to look at SX4, Linea & Honda City. When it comes to reliability & low maintenance costs Honda City & SX4 would be the best choice.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 23:17   #8688
BHPian

Quote:

Does anyone here have experience in buying a car from either T S Mahalingam & Sons or Jains' Car Shoppe? How trustworthy are these chaps?
Both the dealers you have mentioned are quite reliable but they are a little more expensive as well. I would say look for an individual selling the car as you will probably get a much better deal, considering the petrol vernas dont have a very good resale vale.
prithvi53 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 15:17   #8689
BHPian

"USED" M3 Price Check

Background: My friend is looking to buy a used M3 available with BMW's pre-owned-vehicles division. It’s a 2009 model and is loaded with after-markets. I have never seen more beautiful M3 before. You can drool at it here:
http://www.carwale.com/used/cars-in-...mw-m3-D478824/

The trouble is that they are quoting 80 Lakh for this and when asked why? they say it is loaded with aftermarkets worth more than 1 Cr. I find this hard to believe and thus I turn to experts like yourself to get an approximate idea. We tried hard to get the list of aftermarkets. Of course we only have high level details but I think it is enough for you guys to tell me whether it can cost as much as they claim. The list is as follows:
  • Bonnet
  • Both Fenders
  • Both Bumpers
  • Boot
  • Both Mirrors
  • Both Seats
  • Suspension
  • Acrapovic Exhaust
  • In engine Modification Is done
  • Both Seat
  • Rear Spoiler
  • Alloy Wheels
  • Low Profile tyres

Of course we will negotiate hard once we are convinced and we will request some expert to accompany us for the test drives as well. Before we do that, I request all you knowledgeable people to throw some light. Used M3s are available from 45 Lakh onwards so is this car work the 35 lakh premium?

@ecksreturns It took me days to go through your thread and I thoroughly enjoyed reading what is a dream-world for many. You are most qualified to share your knowledge on the above query. Kindly do so.

Note from Support: Pictures have been added incorrectly. Please ensure you follow this procedure for uploading pictures to Team-BHP : link

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2013 at 15:58. Reason: Please see the note at the end of your post.
ashtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 15:55   #8690
Team-BHP Support

Re: "USED" M3 Price Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
Background: My friend is looking to buy a used M3 available with BMW's pre-owned-vehicles division. It’s a 2009 model and is loaded with after-markets. I have never seen more beautiful M3 before.
The ex-owner is a BHPian. Read from this post onwards, for the next 2-3 pages - There's a lot of pricing talk for this car in particular.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...ml#post3145856

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th December 2013 at 16:00.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2013, 16:04   #8691
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for your replies and suggestions, Jignesh and prithvi53! I'm basically looking at a car to replace my seven year-old Indica Xeta, which is beginning to fall apart. Not literally, but I'm sure you understand. Repairing it is like putting money into a sink-hole.

Buying a new car would mean having to bear high interest rates and sizable EMIs for years. This is where the value in pre-owned cars makes lots of sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello, previous generation Hyundai Verna are no doubt good cars but recently there are reports of their service (spare parts) being very costly.

If you are looking for a Petrol sedan with budget of Rs. 3 to Rs. 3.25 lacs, I will suggest to look at SX4, Linea & Honda City. When it comes to reliability & low maintenance costs Honda City & SX4 would be the best choice. Thanks,
The cost of spares of the old Verna is a very valid concern, since the model was discontinued some time ago. The Linea is one solidly built car, though I'm not fond of its driver's seat comfort, long travel clutch & large turning circle.

I'll add the City and SX4 to my list. SX4 is still in production (will be replaced next year) plus it's a Maruti, so cost of spares shouldn't be a worry. Only the 2nd gen. City/City ZX should be available for that price. It may have just become two generations old, but it's a good, comfortable and reliable car nevertheless.

The petrol DZire (previous gen.) also begins to make sense, I think. A boot is not an absolute must. A hatchback is also fine, as long as it has split-folding rear seats so that three persons & four large + two small suitcases can travel to and from the airport, just like in my Xeta. Based on this, the Getz Prime, Ritz and Wagon R (all petrol) also suit the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi53 View Post
Both the dealers you have mentioned are quite reliable but they are a little more expensive as well. I would say look for an individual selling the car as you will probably get a much better deal, considering the petrol vernas dont have a very good resale vale.
I agree that the best deals and cars are with individual sellers.

The dealers also offer some advantages, such as examining many cars side-by-side in a detailed manner, completing the registration transfer/paperwork and doing a touch-up and polish job on small dents and scratches. But the premium they ask for this can be high.

I'm wary of fly-by-night operators who try to palm off vehicles in pathetic mechanical condition or even major accident involved vehicles on unsuspecting buyers.

These two guys (TSM and Jains) have been around for quite long and seem to have built a decent reputation for themselves. I can only hope they would not indulge in nasty practices such as selling off totalled-and-repaired vehicles. Even then, I think due diligence by potential buyers is required.

So, the list has been been expanded - City, DZire, Getz, Ritz, SX4, Verna & Wagon R (all petrol), either from TSM or Jains or an individual, if possible. Once again, thanks for your valuable inputs, friends!

Last edited by RSR : 18th December 2013 at 16:12.
Old 18th December 2013, 16:28   #8692
BHPian

Re: "USED" M3 Price Check

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
The ex-owner is a BHPian. Read from this post onwards, for the next 2-3 pages - There's a lot of pricing talk for this car in particular.

R
Rehaan this is awesome piece of info. Thanks much!
Old 19th December 2013, 11:29   #8693
BHPian

Hello TBHPians,

Any pointers for a respectable resale value for Toyota Altis (1.8G - Petrol - Some golden champagne colour) with mfg date as Dec- 2008 (but bought in Feb-2009 from the dealer). The car has done just 25000 Kms and in excellent condition.

I was getting different quotes on the TBHP value check (from 4.31 - 5.0 Lakhs) and on carwale site (from 5.47 - 5.98 Lakhs).

By the way this car is of my boss (first hand owner) who wants to sell it directly to a person without any dealer/ broker in between. Kindly guide me what price he may quote when he hits the market to sell his car.

Cheers,

Rahul
Old 19th December 2013, 12:27   #8694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A boot is not an absolute must. A hatchback is also fine, as long as it has split-folding rear seats so that three persons & four large + two small suitcases can travel to and from the airport, just like in my Xeta. Based on this, the Getz Prime, Ritz and Wagon R (all petrol) also suit the purpose..[/i]
Hello,

If you are OK with Hatchbacks & your budget is Rs. 3 to Rs. 3.25 then you certainly need not look beyond current generation Maruti WagonR. 2010 / 2011 Models of the current K10 series are easily available for approx Rs. 3 lacs.

Also previous generation Maruti Swift will be a good option if you like its looks. But in my personal opinion WagonR will be the first choice.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:36   #8695
BHPian

Had my stint with the car yesterday :
1. From the VIN it seems to be a 2009 December manufactured car(Punto Dynamic 1.3) registered on 28th March 2010. 35500kilometers on the ODO.
2. Shod with 4 month old Tyres and 2 month old OE alloys.
3. It was very low on engine oil and the color was rather darkish, found a can of engine oil in the boot!!!
4. The car has always been owner driven. Elderly gentleman at the verge of his sixties.
5. Clutch and rear suspension overhauled at 30k kilometres!!!
6. Left front door replaced after an accident which the owner claims did not really call for a door change.
7. Regularly serviced at A.S.S.
8. No signs of abuse on the body and the interiors.
9. New Battery
10. Test drive in the city was alright, the car handles bad roads really well. No real rattles or thuds. Engine sounds healthy too. Are Diesel Puntos a little sluggish off the track?
11. All electricals in working order.
12. Insurance valid till 28.3.14 and tax paid upto 28.3.2015.

Experts take on this please.
Old 19th December 2013, 13:05   #8696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulk2510 View Post
Hello TBHPians,

Any pointers for a respectable resale value for Toyota Altis (1.8G - Petrol - Some golden champagne colour) with mfg date as Dec- 2008 (but bought in Feb-2009 from the dealer). The car has done just 25000 Kms and in excellent condition.

I was getting different quotes on the TBHP value check (from 4.31 - 5.0 Lakhs) and on carwale site (from 5.47 - 5.98 Lakhs).

By the way this car is of my boss (first hand owner) who wants to sell it directly to a person without any dealer/ broker in between. Kindly guide me what price he may quote when he hits the market to sell his car.

Cheers,

Rahul
Rahul
The car wale site is relatively more accurate in this case. I would suggest to go with a price of 5Lakhs. The fact that the car is from a known source is a plus. assuming your boss has taken good care of it.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 13:15   #8697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi2n View Post
Had my stint with the car yesterday :
1. From the VIN it seems to be a 2009 December manufactured car(Punto Dynamic 1.3) registered on 28th March 2010. 35500kilometers on the ODO.
2. Shod with 4 month old Tyres and 2 month old OE alloys.
3. It was very low on engine oil and the color was rather darkish, found a can of engine oil in the boot!!!
4. The car has always been owner driven. Elderly gentleman at the verge of his sixties.
5. Clutch and rear suspension overhauled at 30k kilometres!!!
6. Left front door replaced after an accident which the owner claims did not really call for a door change.
7. Regularly serviced at A.S.S.
8. No signs of abuse on the body and the interiors.
9. New Battery
10. Test drive in the city was alright, the car handles bad roads really well. No real rattles or thuds. Engine sounds healthy too. Are Diesel Puntos a little sluggish off the track?
11. All electricals in working order.
12. Insurance valid till 28.3.14 and tax paid upto 28.3.2015.

Experts take on this please.
Something seems wrong here. Either the owner has been taken for a ride by A.S.S or he is trying to dupe you.
At 35,000, why does it have two new tyres and alloys? One can assume alloy damage maybe.
however, the biggest problem is low engine oil. In 93,000kms, I've never had low engine oil. The last service ought to have been around 30k. You need to figure out why the car is running low on oil? Further, a suspension and clutch overhaul at that mileage is ridiculous.
Get a good mechanic to thoroughly investigate the car before you take a decision

And yes, diesel puntos are sluggish owing primarily due to a short 1st and 2nd.

Last edited by sukrit7 : 19th December 2013 at 13:17.
sukrit7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2013, 22:58   #8698
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
So the i20 Asta 1.4 deal did not happen. Apparently, some one else bought the car while I was thinking the price would come down. Anyway, I am getting a Honda Jazz Active 2010 model run for about 15K for 5.25L. I am obviously gonna bargain to get the price down. What would be a good price for this car? Also, would the running costs for a Honda be higher than a Hyundai? I mean maintenance wise and fuel costs.
Just read skanchans ordeal with his Hyundai i20 and I am having second thoughts in buying a Hyundai.
Sorry for the long post but please do reply. Thanks.
15k jazz for 5.25? bargain hard!! a gem of a car and forget the stereotype of high maintenance. an absolutely maintenance free car
Old 21st December 2013, 15:20   #8699
BHPian

Guys - Em in the market for a used Zen (2004 - 2006 model) my old love. I always wanted it and now decided to buy one. From a cursory search on the net the range seems to be between 80K to 150K, with around 70000 - 80000 kms on the odo in "good condition".

I would think anything above 1 lakh is high, would you guys agree ? Or do I need to shell out a little more (keeping that for any 'work' that the car may need )
Old 21st December 2013, 16:13   #8700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alter.e.go View Post
Guys - Em in the market for a used Zen (2004 - 2006 model) my old love. I always wanted it and now decided to buy one. From a cursory search on the net the range seems to be between 80K to 150K, with around 70000 - 80000 kms on the odo in "good condition".

I would think anything above 1 lakh is high, would you guys agree ? Or do I need to shell out a little more (keeping that for any 'work' that the car may need )
If you want my opinion, go for True Value cars, they might be pricier than others but they come with warranty. We bought an 800 did not regret, a friend bought a Zen, did not regret so much so, when I think used Maruti, I think True Value

Most Viewed