Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2009, 15:53   #1051
Senior - BHPian

3 Lac would be the best price. Does it have Climate Control? If yes, then may be 10 K more.
Old 3rd September 2009, 17:04   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
I think he was asking about the bangalore prices .Something in the range 3.5 lakhs tops would be ok depending on the condition, insurance validity and accessories.
Rightly said Riju,
Bangalore prices are quite high when compared with rest of India.
Negotiate it 3.30L if possible
Old 4th September 2009, 15:30   #1053

Thanks for the replies

All,

Thanks for the replies.. I am not sure to go for the car... Here is why:

1. The owner is quoting 4 lacs for it.
2. There are way too many modifications on the car, which have now been removed, leaving useless switches here and there (like a DVD system, rear camera, etc.)
3. There is something called an auto-clutch that has been installed (I noticed it in the engine bay), where apparently if u switch the car into that mode, we dont need to engage the clutch when changing gears. Just throw it into different gears without engaging the clutch. And in case we come to a dead stop, the car shifts into neutral automatically. Not sure how effective this is. Also, am wondering if it has any downsides to this - like wear and tear of parts and overall damange to any of the parts.
4. The doors felt too "soft", and not having the solid feel to them when opening and closing. Also, what I observed was that the doors were not opening while intermittently stopping. Like when we open the doors of new cars, they stop at different angles before completely opening... It was not happening here. Does it mean anything?
5. Although it is a VXI, it didnt have Climate Control. I thought that was a standard feature on all the VXIs.

Besides, after reading the Karnataka Road Tax forum, I just realised that I can happily drive me car for atleast a year in Bangalore, without being hassled by the Traffic Police (am hoping I am correct in this assumption) - as long as I preserved my toll tax receipts. If that is the case, I might do a serious rethink on the new car. Will plan for one in a year from now...
Old 6th September 2009, 00:27   #1054
BHPian

i am looking out for an Ohc VTEC but cant find a clean one..now am tired of hunting down and have thought of getting myself a an exi-s version..can you guys tel me what should be the price of 1.5exi sep 2003 55000 kms driven first owner car in mumbai..i went through some threads here but couldnt come to a conclusion aboutr the diff between an exi and exi-s model..n did the exi come only in 2002 bcos ive come across 2 and both were 2002..n will i get a white colour in either exi or exis..
thanx
Old 6th September 2009, 12:08   #1055
BHPian

Buying my first car: Need Expert Help

This will be my first car. I used to be complete illiterate about cars and has been gaining knowledge since last 1-2 months(thanks to TBHP). Also, taking my driving classes and learning very fast (I don't take test-drives when I go to see a car, which is very odd for the seller and at times they take me for a noob and try to take me for a ride).
Well peripheral stuff apart. I wish to buy a used-sedan. I have a budget of ~3L. After a lot of though-experiments I chose Ikon Flair. Although people say that there are reliability issues with Ikon as compared to Accent and Baleno (It seems people ignore the difference between Ikon Flair and Ikon 1.6 in areas like FE and A.S.S.). Anyways this is my logic/assumption to select Ikon Flair.
My Budget: ~3Lacs.
My options:
2007 Ikon Flair,<25K Km in 3.2Lacs
2005 Accent ~40-50K km in 3Lacs.
So, for similar model-cars, 2-yr old car is very likely to be a good catch than a 4-yr old car(considering the used car market)
And personally I feel:
[1] Accent looks are slightly Uncle types[Ikon:Accent = Pulsar:Unicorn in bikes]. And I like the looks of Ikon.
[2] Baleno: I am not a big fan of Maruti cars and Baleno is out of production.
[3] Ikon Flair has the max mile-age among Accent, Ikon, Baleno,Lancer etc.
[4] Was considering Lancer, but available ones are pretty old and I don't want increase my risk by taking a very old car.

And hence my choice. Your inputs/criticization/ratification etc are heartily welcome. Your inputs is very valued considering my naivety.
[Benny, SammyBoy do give your experienced insight.]
Thanks in Advance.
Old 6th September 2009, 12:21   #1056
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey fourbytes,
A few questions to ask you:
- What are your requirements? As in how much are you going to use the car and for what purpose? (Eg: weekend drives on highway, or daily office commute with x ppl)
- What do you want from the car? (Power, looks, FE, VFM?)
- Are you open to hatchbacks or need the trunk space?
- How long do you intend on keeping the car and is the budget flexible?
Old 6th September 2009, 12:50   #1057
BHPian

@lamborghini
Thanks for replying
- What are your requirements? As in how much are you going to use the car and for what purpose?
Ans: I don't have any fixed utility/need for the car. I am just buying one as I want to buy one . But I am a wanderer and hence most probably I will use it for weekend drives and once in a while to office which is minuscule 9Km both ways. (I also want to make atleast one round trip to my home town Calcutta ~2000Km one-way)
Ans: Since this is my first car and I just learnt driving I know I am gonna (unwittingly) misbehave with it and it will take at least 1 yr to become a seasoned driver. So, FE and VFM are imp than a tad more power(I am assuming that difference in power for similar priced/range cars is very less. CMIIW). Looks matter a lot for me.
Ans: Sorry but I abhor hatchbacks, it's a personal thing.
Ans: 3 yrs then I will send this car to my folks back East and probably they will use it forever. Budget is 2.5-3L already stretched 3(+.25)L, but if it's a deal that I don't want to miss I can shelf-out 3.5L and that is a max.

Also for the same money I would want to buy as less old as possible a car, because I feel until the initial 2-3yrs of usage the car is as old as new. Again CMIIW.
Thanks
Old 6th September 2009, 15:02   #1058
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey fourbytes,

Looking at your needs, the Ikon seems a very good choice.
She is a very tough car (we had 2 in the past), can withstand abuse, is loads of fun to drive, and the new Rocam engines in the Flair is pretty peppy as well.
Also, since you plan on giving it to your parents later on, the rear seat comfort is excellent.
Also, another point of the Ikon, which is really helpful to new drivers, is that visibility is very good in the front, though the boot is quite high making reversing a pain. However, that can be sorted with parking sensors.

Avoid the Accent, but do look at Balenos. Drive one and you will instantly fall in love with it!
Very comfortable, fast, FE, VFM!

Edit:
Was just browsing online and saw these ads:
Used 2005 Maruti Suzuki Baleno LXi for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : D170815 - CarWale.com
Used 2006 Ford Fiesta 1.4 EXi for sale in Bangalore - Profile Id : D168091 - CarWale.com

Last edited by lamborghini : 6th September 2009 at 15:16.
Old 6th September 2009, 16:40   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Yes and I'd like to add that even though the Baleno is out of production you'll still easily get spares for the next decade. Plus, an out of production car is more VFM in the used market. Good luck!
Old 6th September 2009, 18:03   #1060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four.bytes View Post
@lamborghini
Thanks for replying
- What are your requirements? As in how much are you going to use the car and for what purpose?
Ans: I don't have any fixed utility/need for the car. I am just buying one as I want to buy one . But I am a wanderer and hence most probably I will use it for weekend drives and once in a while to office which is minuscule 9Km both ways. (I also want to make atleast one round trip to my home town Calcutta ~2000Km one-way)
Ans: Since this is my first car and I just learnt driving I know I am gonna (unwittingly) misbehave with it and it will take at least 1 yr to become a seasoned driver. So, FE and VFM are imp than a tad more power(I am assuming that difference in power for similar priced/range cars is very less. CMIIW). Looks matter a lot for me.
Ans: Sorry but I abhor hatchbacks, it's a personal thing.
Ans: 3 yrs then I will send this car to my folks back East and probably they will use it forever. Budget is 2.5-3L already stretched 3(+.25)L, but if it's a deal that I don't want to miss I can shelf-out 3.5L and that is a max.

Also for the same money I would want to buy as less old as possible a car, because I feel until the initial 2-3yrs of usage the car is as old as new. Again CMIIW.
Thanks
from your requirements i would recommend hyundai accent! its cheaper to maintain compared to Ford!

trust me accent will give your peace of mind as well as less trips to service centers compared to the Ford!
Old 6th September 2009, 21:10   #1061
Senior - BHPian

As this is going to be your first car and you going to give the car to your folks, I feel you shouldn't go for Ford. I know this through various friends that Ford maintenance generally becomes expensive ( similar to FIAT) from the 4th year onwards. I feel the best bet for you is to get a Maruti. Since this is your first car, I suggest the ESTEEM. Cheap to maintain and run. And spares will be available in plenty, anywhere, anytime
Old 7th September 2009, 00:41   #1062
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHC VTEC View Post
i am looking out for an Ohc VTEC but cant find a clean one..now am tired of hunting down and have thought of getting myself a an exi-s version..can you guys tel me what should be the price of 1.5exi sep 2003 55000 kms driven first owner car in mumbai..i went through some threads here but couldnt come to a conclusion aboutr the diff between an exi and exi-s model..n did the exi come only in 2002 bcos ive come across 2 and both were 2002..n will i get a white colour in either exi or exis..
thanx
Not sure about this,but i think Exi-S was there in Type I OHC,Type II came only in Exi & Dx[few 1.3s]. I have seen few white OHCs but all were 1.3s.
Old 7th September 2009, 02:06   #1063
BHPian

How much would my August 2008 Hyundai santro GLS(top variant) 6.5k kms done, Without a single scratch(not even swirl marks!) and paint work and shine in showroom condition fetch? Bought it for 4.1lks, The condition of the car is Excellent.

Last edited by akshay_b : 7th September 2009 at 02:11.
Old 7th September 2009, 09:43   #1064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
How much would my August 2008 Hyundai santro GLS(top variant) 6.5k kms done, Without a single scratch(not even swirl marks!) and paint work and shine in showroom condition fetch? Bought it for 4.1lks, The condition of the car is Excellent.
3.4 TO 3.5L would be my estimated price for such a car.
Old 7th September 2009, 10:44   #1065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnaganathan View Post
My brother's Santro LS (2001) model is up for sale. He is the second owner and the car has done 21000kms (first owner had used it sparingly). I am interested in buying the car. It does need some tinkering and may need a clutch overhaul as well. 4 tyres are original and one was changed recently. What is the best price I can offer? He has given me the privelege of first denial.
Did he always use the car with full load? Otherwise I dont see reason for clutch overhaul and tyre change at just 21k kms. My Santro LP is 2001 model, run 40k and the tyres still look pretty good with no major works done yet, except for the battery replacement done last year. It was driven everyday in short city trips.

My car was quoted 1.2 lacs by dealer when I tried for a swap. But I didnt take that as I thought I can get better price outside. I think 1.3 to 1.4 lacs should be decent price.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks