Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2018, 17:56   #12706
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
My suggestion: Stay away from this. This is going to be a white elephant if you buy it, can't sell it easily, and the resale price will go down exponentially. Look for a Fortuner.
You can get a new or lightly used top end Scorpio or Xylo at this price range. 10-15 lakhs will get you a rather old Fortuner with over a lakh km on the clock.
Old 17th April 2018, 18:47   #12707
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions folks. My priorities though make these options less than ideal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Look for a Fortuner.
The previous gen fortuner which I can afford is low on safety tech (no rear disks, 2 airbags etc.) plus not that comfy. Of course reliability and resale value is unquestionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
You can get a new or lightly used top end Scorpio or Xylo at this price range.
I wouldn't be happy with the ride quality and safety tech on these Mahindras. XUV might be better but I somehow personally didn't like it that much.
Old 17th April 2018, 21:14   #12708
BHPian

Now that chevrolet has shut shop in India, does it make sense to buy cruze AT 2012-13 model with 70-8000 ODO reading? Will the spare availibility and service be an issue?
How much should be the appropriate price?
Old 17th April 2018, 21:53   #12709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
I wouldn't be happy with the ride quality and safety tech on these Mahindras. XUV might be better but I somehow personally didn't like it that much.
I thought so too after seeing all the older Scorpio / Xylo office cabs and beaten up Zoomcar vehicles. Then I picked up a 2015 S10 Scorpio (top end).

Climate Control, 2 Airbags, Front and rear suspensions with coil not leaf springs, an anti roll bar, ABS / EBD but no Brake Assist, ESP, Hill Hold etc - if you want all those extras spring for a newer Endeavour, not even a Fortuner.

But bang for buck a newer Scorpio is going to be quite decent, the build quality is also quite well improved from the previous generation.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 22:28   #12710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a used 7-seater with AT and good safety features (6+ airbags, ESP). I came across Chevrolet Captiva 2012/13 LTZ 2.2 AT AWD models that are quoting 10-15 lacs in Bangalore. What would be a good price for this assuming 80-100k mileage? Would there be good spare part availability?

A dream car would be the Volvo XC90 (2012 or later) and these are quoting at 25lacs +. Is this a good price? How about spares availability and maintenance costs for 5+ year old volvo cars?
Chevy had terrible service, even when they were in the market, I never usually say this, but AVOID AT ALL COST!

Volvo's are know to be very reliable, you can go for the XC90 if you can spend huge sum in maintenance(General), also will be too hard to sell it off once the time comes.

Recommendations from my side:
1.XUV 5OO : Ticks all the boxes(even crash tested), new one will be reliable enough.
2.TATA Hexa : Comes loaded with features, reliability in long term won't be too bad, mechanically strong, well built.
giri1.8 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2018, 23:34   #12711
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a used 7-seater with AT and good safety features (6+ airbags, ESP). I came across Chevrolet Captiva 2012/13 LTZ 2.2 AT AWD models that are quoting 10-15 lacs in Bangalore. What would be a good price for this assuming 80-100k mileage? Would there be good spare part availability?

Would the AT unit last another 100k km?

A dream car would be the Volvo XC90 (2012 or later) and these are quoting at 25lacs +. Is this a good price? How about spares availability and maintenance costs for 5+ year old volvo cars?
Captiva even when in production had spare part issues. Now it's out of the question.

Volvo's though reliable are pretty expensive to maintain. Nearly there with the German brands. I know this because my friend owned both the xc60 and xc90 and he used to share his service bills with me. He sold his xc60 with 90k on the clock for around 14lacs though.

If you're looking for a reliable 7seater at a good price I'd suggest a rexton. You'll get it at a fairly decent price and it's a no hassle ownership experience. You can read about it from my experience shared in one of the threads on this forum. Ofcourse if you leave aside our enthusiast ears to pick on even the minutest issues for eg my service centre is pretty fed up with how I pick up even the smallest of issues. (Incase you're interested in a very well maintained one you can pm me mine is in the market now even though I love it and id willingly let it go to a fellow enthusiast for a little lower than IV advertised it for too &#128540
rugsrags is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 03:49   #12712
BHPian

Quote:

Would the AT unit last another 100k km?

You might just find a used mint Hexa (based on my findings of Delhi market) if you up your budget a little. Except ESP, it has all your needs. Keep your eyes open you might just encounter a GX AT Innova Crysta if you can slightly bump your budget. These would be better alternatives to the Captiva.

I would say to avoid Captiva at all costs. Brilliant car letdown by incompetent aftersales.
RoadGlide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:13   #12713
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
if you want all those extras spring for a newer Endeavour, not even a Fortuner.

But bang for buck a newer Scorpio is going to be quite decent, the build quality is also quite well improved from the previous generation.
Will check it out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugsrags View Post

(Incase you're interested in a very well maintained one you can pm me mine is in the market now even though I love it and id willingly let it go to a fellow enthusiast for a little lower than IV advertised it for too &#128540
Thanks for the notes on the Volvos. I do have the small matter of first selling my 2011 Punto 90HP. I will look into the Rexton and ping you if I shortlist it

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Recommendations from my side:
1.XUV 5OO : Ticks all the boxes(even crash tested), new one will be reliable enough.
2.TATA Hexa : Comes loaded with features, reliability in long term won't be too bad, mechanically strong, well built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
You might just find a used mint Hexa (based on my findings of Delhi market) if you up your budget a little. Except ESP, it has all your needs.
If Tata had integrated their ESP unit with the XTA, I would even have sprung up the cash for a new one! I don't know how they expect someone to pay nearly 22 big ones and not give this. As a shareholder and a prospective customer I wish instead of pouring money into stuff like Racemo they had invested in further product improvements.

Thanks for all the inputs folks!
puntOOs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2018, 10:42   #12714
BHPian

Hey puntOOs,

From what I have understood till now you are more inclined to own a premium SUV and not much interested in the entry level. May I suggest you the Nissan X-trail, hard to come by (depends on your city), but it is a fantastic car, very reliable and it may fall in your budget. There may be issues with parts availability but I am sure that they won't be as much as the Captiva.

If you are open to Petrol then you can get CRV or the Outlander too.

Last edited by Mr.mitsuvolk : 18th April 2018 at 10:43.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 15:04   #12715
BHPian

Asking on behalf of a friend. He is looking to buy a Hyundai Verna directly from the owner

Hyundai Verna SX(O) 1.6 Diesel (Top end with button start)
2013 Year
55k kms
First Owner Bangalore Registered Car
Insurance valid till Dec 2018 (but its mentioned as SX(O) AT in insurance. Owner mentioned it's done to increase IDV)

-The car is well maintained with new set of tyres (ran <4k kms) and an year old Amaron Battery
-Recent full servicing done with entire clutch set replaced and miscellaneous (bill of Rs.38K)
-Car comes with Pioneer Touch screen system, Amplifier,Sub woofer and LED Light Bar fixed in front bumper grill. All these has been installed with proper relay etc.
-The owner said suspension is made "tight" by adding spacers.
-Damping done on all doors
-Rat Prevent Device(Kind of a rectangular box which apparently gives out some kind of a sound -prevents rats from coming in engine bay)

Checked the service records with Hyundai and there has been no accidents, ODO is genuine and services done on time

Now my questions are:

1. Should we really go ahead with car considering it has run 55k and has so much extra accessories? Dont know where he got all these done.
2. If we decide to go ahead, what is the best price we can pay? OBV says 7.4L to 7.8L. Seller asking 7.3 with accessories and 6.8L without accessories(he will get stock HU fixed)

Last edited by akhil_007 : 19th April 2018 at 15:06.
Old 19th April 2018, 16:42   #12716
BHPian

Hi folks,

What can be the maximum price that I should think of shelling out for a honda city 2014 V-MT variant with close to 48K on the ODO.

The vehicle has minor scratches or dent and is otherwise is in good condition. The insurance on the vehicle is about to expire in about 2 days which means I will have to buy a new insurance all together.

The vehicle is being sold by pride honda showroom at madhapur. What can be the maximum price I should think of ?

OBV suggests price of 6,91,111 - ₹ 7,33,861 for vehicle in good condition.

Any inputs folks? Also specifically what all things should I be looking into before making my decision? (Like Tyres, battery, Oil, Suspension etc?)

Thanks
Old 19th April 2018, 18:51   #12717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil_007 View Post
1. Should we really go ahead with car considering it has run 55k and has so much extra accessories? Dont know where he got all these done.
2. If we decide to go ahead, what is the best price we can pay? OBV says 7.4L to 7.8L. Seller asking 7.3 with accessories and 6.8L without accessories(he will get stock HU fixed)
Based on my knowledge, both the OBV and the seller quote are a tad high(about 30k), but may be well worth the purchase as it appears that the owner maintained the car with passion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijay.s View Post
OBV suggests price of 6,91,111 - ₹ 7,33,861 for vehicle in good condition.

Any inputs folks? Also specifically what all things should I be looking into before making my decision? (Like Tyres, battery, Oil, Suspension etc?)
Thanks
For the price suggested by OBV ideally Tyres, battery, Oil, Suspension etc should have been taken care. Also, assuming that it is a Honda certified car, the price could be on the higher than OBV quote.
Old 22nd April 2018, 14:10   #12718
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions folks. My priorities though make these options less than ideal.

The previous gen fortuner which I can afford is low on safety tech (no rear disks, 2 airbags etc.) plus not that comfy. Of course reliability and resale value is unquestionable.

I congratulate you for making safety the top priority.
One suggestion from my side is the Skoda Yeti. It is a little small but is quite premium and has ESP and hill hold assist. I believe it might come with side and curtain airbags as well. These are quite cheap now with 2013 models going for 5 to 8 lakhs in Delhi.

Another option is a large car like Skoda Superb or Passat if you can make do with a 5 seater non SUV. These can be bought fod a good price and contain all required safety features.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2018, 15:28   #12719
BHPian

What should be a good price for a used 2012 Accord 2.4 Elegance AT driven 65000km. Owner saying costs 20k for annual service and mileage is 9-10...current quote is 8 lac.
Old 24th April 2018, 18:59   #12720

Hi guys. I am looking to buy a second-hand car under 3 lac that is relatively new and hence, looking at Tata Nano as my first choice.

There are a few 2014 XT (top-end) models that've run 20-25k km. Cars are in a decent condition. First owner. What should be the ideal price I should pay?

Most Viewed