Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2020, 16:27   #13846
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

You want a reliable car. And you're going for a used DCT jetta? Good luck.

Scout around for a Jetta manual, that's pretty bulletproof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
I am looking for a used Jetta in Hyderabad and found a dealer selling one 2015 model for 11.20 lakhs. Is this a fair price? This is a blue color and Highline Automatic TDI model.

I was thinking of somewhere between 9.0-9.5 lakhs for a neatly maintained used Jetta. Please advise if I will face spares issue, as this model is discontinued. How reliable will a 5 years old Jetta will be? I do not want to continue if it will put a big hole in my pocket. Not a fan of frequent trips to workshop, looking for reliability and safety.

Any inputs are welcome.
hserus is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:05   #13847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

The model was DSG not DCT. I was told DSG is better in long-term than any automatic transmissions. I am unable to find any manual variants which are good.
Old 22nd July 2020, 18:48   #13848
BHPian

Quote:
The model was DSG not DCT. I was told DSG is better in long-term than any automatic transmissions. I am unable to find any manual variants which are good.
DSG is just Volkswagen speak for DCT transmissions as far as i know. All the accounts of reliable long term Jetta's that I have heard of typically are manual transmission ones.

Best of luck on your car hunt.
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 17:48   #13849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am looking for a used Jetta in Hyderabad and found a dealer selling one 2015 model for 11.20 lakhs. Is this a fair price? This is a blue color and Highline Automatic TDI model.
It would be on the higher side given it is almost 6 years old and discontinued in the market. You haven't mentioned the odometer age but even if it has just run 40k or 50k km, I wouldn't pay more than 9-9.5 for it if I was hell bent on getting one now.

Quote:
Please advise if I will face spares issue, as this model is discontinued. How reliable will a 5 years old Jetta will be? I do not want to continue if it will put a big hole in my pocket. Not a fan of frequent trips to workshop, looking for reliability and safety.

Any inputs are welcome.
A resounding YES to spare part issues While the Jetta was a fantastic preowned buy until recently, the scene has been seeing some deterioration in terms of service experiences.
I know three friends owning Jettas and all are facing spare part issues with something or the other. One had issues procuring a bumper and taillamps after a bus bumped into him in city traffic. Another one had his front windshield shattered and had to wait for a month to procure that, etc. VW isn't tending to the Jetta very well at the moment, so I personally feel it is more of a hassle owning this car right now if you plan to use it for another few years, because the spare parts situation will only get worse from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post

The Diesel Jetta came with the DQ250 6 speed DSG which is pretty bulletproof, unlike the DQ200 which is infamous for transmission issues. In fact manual Jettas had a lot of premature clutch replacement complaints in the initial days, while the automatic guys have been driving around happily

Last edited by KarthikK : 23rd July 2020 at 18:00.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 18:31   #13850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
It would be on the higher side given it is almost 6 years old and discontinued in the market. You haven't mentioned the odometer age but even if it has just run 40k or 50k km, I wouldn't pay more than 9-9.5 for it if I was hell bent on getting one now.
It is 2015 Highline TDI Automatic variant, 32k odo, used by some retired guy. It is in such an immaculate condition that it barely looks used.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd July 2020 at 19:58. Reason: Typos.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:57   #13851
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Company maintained 2008 Civic Ivtec Automatic. Company owned. 65000 kms clocked. Asking price 3.25l Bangalore. I'm guessing 2.75 is a fair price. What to do?
Old 24th July 2020, 09:30   #13852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Company maintained 2008 Civic Ivtec Automatic. Company owned. 65000 kms clocked. Asking price 3.25l Bangalore. I'm guessing 2.75 is a fair price. What to do?
As per cars24.com, correct price would 2.3 to 2.6 lakhs, get a good mechanic and check the condition or take the vehicle to Honda service center.

I purchased manual civic of 2011, paid 2.75 lakhs in mumbai,odo of 60 K
dsnaveen21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 09:35   #13853
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
In Bangalore the resale value is slightly on the higher side always. If the vehicle is single owner and maintained well with no immediate expenditure needed, 2.75-3L seems like a good middle ground to settle for.

Verify the service history once with a Honda service centre. Some of the older Hondas had tampered odometer readings which got caught by a verification at the service centre. Since this particular car seems to be company maintained that may not be the case but still, better to be careful .
Old 24th July 2020, 10:18   #13854
BHPian

I'm looking out for a Hexa AT variant (XTA / XMA) in Bangalore. I have two offers as of now.
1. A XTA in 6seater configuration (captain seats in mid row), about 26k Kms on the odo and May17 registration. Asking price is 14lakhs
2. A XMA with about 12k Kms on the odo and June19 registration. Asking price is 15lakhs.

I'm looking forward to have this car for atleast next 5-7 years.

What would be the recommendation on these two? Which one should I pick?

Last edited by Thumping Soul : 24th July 2020 at 10:20. Reason: Missed some points.
Old 25th July 2020, 01:14   #13855

I was looking to buy an automatic in Bangalore and spotted a used Elantra, 2013 model, diesel top end automatic, with 80k on the odo. Dealer claims he has all service records? The dealer is quoting 6.5 lakhs which I can try and negotiate on. What would be a fair price for this? and is it worth buying the Elantra in this range?

Mostly will use for trips to home town and on weekends in the city.

Help from all you experienced Team BHPians would be much appreciated to a new buyer like myself.
Old 26th July 2020, 05:52   #13856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead101 View Post
I was looking to buy an automatic in Bangalore and spotted a used Elantra, 2013 model, diesel top end automatic, with 80k on the odo. Dealer claims he has all service records? The dealer is quoting 6.5 lakhs which I can try and negotiate on. What would be a fair price for this? and is it worth buying the Elantra in this range?

Mostly will use for trips to home town and on weekends in the city.

Help from all you experienced Team BHPians would be much appreciated to a new buyer like myself.
This is a 2 generation old (2013-15), 7-year-old Elantra which has clocked 80k on the odometer. The price may be OK but do you want to buy a car which has clocked 80k? Ideally, you want to go with "great car with a good deal than with a great deal with a good car". You can easily pay 1L more and get a 2015 Elantra with 45k on the odometer. I remember seeing them on OLX sometime back.

Many dealers put a ridiculous price on Olx Bangalore like 14L for 2016 Elantra but they rarely get sold for those prices.

FYI, I had bought a 5-year-old Verna with 22k on the odometer for 7 lakh in 2016. It had all clean records.
how_you_doing is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 11:20   #13857
BHPian

Quote:
It is 2015 Highline TDI Automatic variant, 32k odo, used by some retired guy. It is in such an immaculate condition that it barely looks used.
I wouldn’t pay more than 7 to max 8 lakhs for a 5 year old vehicle. Here in Delhi you can find them for as low as 5 lakhs. I have had two Jettas, one DSG, and they have both been very reliable. However a 5 year old car would need some work every so often. As it gets 7 plus years old you would have to change the odd part every so often.
Lobogris is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 12:06   #13858
BHPian

Hyundai i10 Automatic Asta 1.2 with Sunroof from 2010, single owner, 35000kms (Genuine). Getting it for 2.30Lakhs here in Mumbai. Is the pricing right? there doesn't seem to be any work in car. the car hasn't been used since the past 3 months so had to jump start the car but cranked in a single self.
Old 26th July 2020, 19:34   #13859
Senior - BHPian

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamz_mak View Post
Hyundai i10 Automatic Asta 1.2 with Sunroof from 2010, single owner, 35000kms (Genuine). Getting it for 2.30Lakhs here in Mumbai. Is the pricing right? there doesn't seem to be any work in car. the car hasn't been used since the past 3 months so had to jump start the car but cranked in a single self.

Overpriced in my opinion. Just to give you an example. My i20 Asta 2011 has been getting quotes of in and around that number. If I can sell my car for that amount (~2.30l) I will be overjoyed. It's PDo is at 69k kms though. This in Kolkata.

Ideally i10s of this vintage go for less than 1.80L. That's been my experience.

Last edited by Pancham : 26th July 2020 at 19:47.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:58   #13860
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
1. A XTA in 6seater configuration (captain seats in mid row), about 26k Kms on the odo and May17 registration. Asking price is 14lakhs
2. A XMA with about 12k Kms on the odo and June19 registration. Asking price is 15lakhs.
Hi, I am also looking for a used car in Bangalore and Hexa is one of the models in my radar. My thoughts on the options that you have given above are:

1. I was offered a 25K Kms 2018 XTA from individual for a final price of 15L in Dec 2019. I had seen a 50K Kms 2017 XTA in Feb 2020 for 12.5L from Spinny (with full inspection report and they give 1-year insurance + warranty). All these were before the corona lock down too. I believe the quoted price of 14L is high for 2017 XTA, but this might be 'before negotiations'.

2. I would skip XMA if buying used. XTA for slightly more in used market is very much worth it. A year-old model's depreciation will also be very less. Last year, there were lots of sweet discounts on new Hexa too. Mid spec versions generally should have lower resale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by how_you_doing View Post
Many dealers put a ridiculous price on Olx Bangalore like 14L for 2016 Elantra but they rarely get sold for those prices.
Most dealers do not seem to care. They are happy waiting.
I can see 2 VL AT Corollas (2017 24K Kms for 16L and 2018 3K Kms for 15L-20L) on sale for more than year. The 2018 one has been doing rounds across 4 or 5 dealers in Bangalore for the past year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthmadhava View Post
What would be a fair price for a Toyota Corolla Altis VL Automatic Petrol, March 2017, 21K Kms in Bangalore?
This is a showroom test drive car in Black colour, now with Toyota U Trust.
Had a very short drive (before the Covid lock down) with the car and it felt good. The AC was chilling. The warranty would have expired by March. They had invited me to visit the showroom and test drive the vehicle after I quoted 12 lakhs, but later the executive told that the final price would be 16 lakhs.
Saw this car's quoted price being reduced to 14.5L (from the initial advertised price of 16.5L) around June first week and after a few weeks it’s not available anymore. I am guessing it got sold for 13.5-14L.

Noticed that dealers like Spinny and Precarmart have reduced prices compared to last week (by 1-1.5Lakhs for some models). Some examples I saw are:
2015 50K Kms VL AT Corolla from Spinny (from 11.5L to 10.33L).
2017 7K Kms ZX AT Innova from Precarmart (22.45L to 20.99L).

I still find them on the higher side though (may be just for me). I guess I will have to buy new
srikanthmadhava is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed