Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 15:22   #13876
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Thanks Raghav, your car was quite similar to mine. I will lower my expectations accordingly.

Thanks Kushagra. That is a really good price considering Raghav's post above. My car is a little newer and run less than your so should be worth more. Ehat variant was your alto?
Finally sold the 2007 Alto Lx done 88K KMs on 5th August to a buyer on OLX for Rs.82K.
Took an online appointment from Panchkula (Haryana) RLA and filled all the forms and payment was transferred via bank. Whole process took almost three hours (filling forms, making agreements, waiting in two separate lines first for token and then for the token to be called to the window) but it was good to get it done in a single visit.

It was good to see that status on Vahan portal showed the name of the new owner yesterday!! Just 6 days after selling! Working of the Government offices is improving!

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by guptavis : 12th August 2020 at 15:26. Reason: RC transfer on Vahan
guptavis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:30   #13877
BHPian

I am in the process of negotiation with a dealer for a used Volvo S90. Dealer claimed initially that the car has a clean history, but when I asked for the service records, I was informed that those have to be directly obtained from the volvo dealership.

For those who have done due diligence on buying used cars by checking their service history, any tips on how to do it? Are the volvo dealers (or dealers in general) under any obligation to provide service records on a vehicle that was bought or serviced at their location?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12th August 2020, 17:44   #13878
Senior - BHPian

Take the car there and pay them to appraise it for you, they'll do a full checkup as well as check their service records.

They don't typically want to turn down a new customer for their services so they won't deny it, but they will charge some amount for the check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavityavenger View Post
I am in the process of negotiation with a dealer for a used Volvo S90. Dealer claimed initially that the car has a clean history, but when I asked for the service records, I was informed that those have to be directly obtained from the volvo dealership.

For those who have done due diligence on buying used cars by checking their service history, any tips on how to do it? Are the volvo dealers (or dealers in general) under any obligation to provide service records on a vehicle that was bought or serviced at their location?

Thanks in advance!
hserus is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 17:52   #13879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Take the car there and pay them to appraise it for you, they'll do a full checkup as well as check their service records.

They don't typically want to turn down a new customer for their services so they won't deny it, but they will charge some amount for the check.
Thank you!

I would assume that the service records would be shared across all dealerships correct? So I would be able to get service records for a car serviced in Delhi from the Chandigarh dealership?
Old 13th August 2020, 21:27   #13880
BHPian

What would be a fair price for a 2011 Alto K10 Vxi, run approx. 18000 Kms. In Mumbai?
Old 14th August 2020, 10:35   #13881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
What would be a fair price for a 2011 Alto K10 Vxi, run approx. 18000 Kms. In Mumbai?
Before going any further, make sure that it’s the real mileage of the car. You need service records, or any other verifiable proof that the car has only run 18000kms in 9yrs.

If the mileage is indeed real, it’s a 9yr old car after all. Don’t pay too much of a premium over the market rate for a 9 yr old Alto K10. You don’t know what all is due for replacement. For eg. brake discs, pads, battery, tyres etc.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 16:35   #13882
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

I am looking for a beater car for my family + to teach my mother to drive and came across this Kwid Climber AMT.

Details
2017 November Registered
21K milage
Looks in pretty good shape internally, externally and mechanically
Ranchi - JH number (just for info, road tax here is low compared to mumbai/bangalore)
Asking price - 3.4 Lakhs

There is a catch though, the guy says he bought this car from auction a month ago and his purpose of buying was only to resell. He says this auction was for the cars that were seized by banks for non payment of loan. He also has all the papers and the car ownership will be transferred from the original owner to the person purchasing (I will be the second owner of this vehicle)

Now I have two questions
1. Is there anything fishy here?
2. If all else is good (as mentioned), is this a fair price?
shishir333 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:28   #13883
BHPian

What is a decent price to pay for a used Jeep Compass Limited Plus Variant? Details are below
  • Diesel 2.0 BSVI Engine
  • 2018 Manufactured & Registered
  • Limited Plus Variant
  • 4X2
  • Silver Color
  • 29,000 kms odo reading
  • Tires at 50%
  • No Insurance
  • May require battery change
  • Small dent on rear left side fender
  • Very neat and well maintained inside

Dealer asking price is 16 Lakhs. On-road price in 2018 was around 24 lakhs (approx).

Last edited by ramnaresh_2000 : 14th August 2020 at 17:29.
ramnaresh_2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 17:35   #13884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramnaresh_2000 View Post
What is a decent price to pay for a used Jeep Compass Limited Plus Variant? Details are below
  • Diesel 2.0 BSVI Engine
  • 2018 Manufactured & Registered
  • Limited Plus Variant
  • 4X2
  • Silver Color
  • 29,000 kms odo reading
  • Tires at 50%
  • No Insurance
  • May require battery change
  • Small dent on rear left side fender
  • Very neat and well maintained inside

Dealer asking price is 16 Lakhs. On-road price in 2018 was around 24 lakhs (approx).
Seems like a decent price for the Limited Plus variant. Here in Mumbai the asking price for Limited and Limited Option Petrol was in similar range when I checked.
rkv_hunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 20:08   #13885
BHPian

Quote:
[*]Diesel 2.0 BSVI Engine
Should be BSIV, BSVI was launched in early 2020.

Regarding price, 16 lakhs is a decent deal.
karan0009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 05:39   #13886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
Looks in pretty good shape internally, externally and mechanically.
Asking price - 3.4 Lakhs

There is a catch though, the guy says he bought this car from auction a month ago and his purpose of buying was only to resell. He says this auction was for the cars that were seized by banks for non payment of loan.

Now I have two questions
First things first. How do you know it’s in good shape mechanically? Are you a mechanic? Did you get the car checked by a mechanic/service centre?

As a rule of thumb, stay far away from auctioned vehicles unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure of what you’re doing.

I’ll let other members comment regarding the price, but before settling on the price, make sure the vehicle is not flood damaged, insurance write off which has been repaired, etc.

Tread extremely carefully before finalising this purchase.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 08:56   #13887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm not sure about Hyderabad prices but 33% depreciation is alright (not a steal) for a 2 year old Jeep.

15 lakhs would be a good price to start with. Try to close the deal under 15.25 lakhs because with a lapsed insurance and weak battery, you're looking at minimim 30-40k of immediate expenses.
self_driven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 16:22   #13888
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
First things first. How do you know it’s in good shape mechanically? Are you a mechanic? Did you get the car checked by a mechanic/service centre?

As a rule of thumb, stay far away from auctioned vehicles unless you are ABSOLUTELY sure of what you’re doing.

I’ll let other members comment regarding the price, but before settling on the price, make sure the vehicle is not flood damaged, insurance write off which has been repaired, etc.

Tread extremely carefully before finalising this purchase.
You are right, my assessment was based on my small test drive. And mostly an assumption based on how it looked internally/externally
Thanks a lot for your input. I will either stay away or examine this very carefully before going ahead.
Old 15th August 2020, 18:20   #13889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir333 View Post
Hi BHPians,

I am looking for a beater car for my family + to teach my mother to drive and came across this Kwid Climber AMT.

Details
2017 November Registered
21K milage
Looks in pretty good shape internally, externally and mechanically
Ranchi - JH number (just for info, road tax here is low compared to mumbai/bangalore)
Asking price - 3.4 Lakhs

There is a catch though, the guy says he bought this car from auction a month ago and his purpose of buying was only to resell. He says this auction was for the cars that were seized by banks for non payment of loan. He also has all the papers and the car ownership will be transferred from the original owner to the person purchasing (I will be the second owner of this vehicle)

Now I have two questions
Do negotiate a bit on the price. Rest otherwise, if the car is good, please go ahead. There's no problem in buying a car which is auctioned. Just make sure you have the NOC from the bank from which the car was auctioned and other forms of RC Transfer. Keep an eye out and take your time to go through the paper work. If you aren't able to ascertain the mechanical health yourself, consider getting it checked at an Authorised dealership or a mechanic who's trustworthy.
Varun_HexaGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:15   #13890
BHPian

How is the deal for getting an Innova Crysta Z AT 2017 model around 16 lakhs, which has done 36000 kms in three years.
The insurance is expired in July and there are minor scratches. The 2nd seat bottle holder on the side of the seat is broken.
Other than that, the condition looks good.

The suggestions are welcome.

Most Viewed