Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 19:39   #14116
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

In Pune, there is an unused first gen Harrier (BS4) available for sale. The car is pre-registered, so on paper, the buyer will be second owner.

Asking price is 18 lakh. Is that a good deal?
Old 7th October 2020, 22:21   #14117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudo_coder View Post
In Pune, there is an unused first gen Harrier (BS4) available for sale. The car is pre-registered, so on paper, the buyer will be second owner.

Asking price is 18 lakh. Is that a good deal?
I am no expert, just my opinion.

When spending 18lakh, why not just add another 3-4 lakh for a BS6 Harrier, which is a better car with many of the niggles removed by Tata. A 2nd hand car will not give that newer feel, you have to compromise for the paint, reduced resale, no loan. I am not against Used cars, when you are paying 18lakh and the newer one was just 3-4 lakh away, why take the risk.

My opinion, Used cars can be best bought between 4-6 years of usage when the value reduces by 50%.

Last edited by SKC-auto : 7th October 2020 at 22:25.
SKC-auto is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 05:04   #14118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
I am no expert, just my opinion.

When spending 18lakh, why not just add another 3-4 lakh for a BS6 Harrier, which is a better car with many of the niggles removed by Tata. A 2nd hand car will not give that newer feel, you have to compromise for the paint, reduced resale, no loan. I am not against Used cars, when you are paying 18lakh and the newer one was just 3-4 lakh away, why take the risk.

My opinion, Used cars can be best bought between 4-6 years of usage when the value reduces by 50%.
Agree. Some points:

1. It is not a used car. Just a pre-registered one. Has less than 200km on the odo.
2. 18 lakh is the quoted price. Due to low demand, a good discount should be possible.
pseudo_coder is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 09:59   #14119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. It is not a used car. Just a pre-registered one. Has less than 200km on the odo.
2. 18 lakh is the quoted price. Due to low demand, a good discount should be possible.
This can be a good deal at 16 lakhs. But be prepared to face and fix minor niggles that'll crop up during your ownership.

Make sure you're not getting a test drive car with a rigged odo. Tata dealers are not to be blindly trusted upon, so check the car thoroughly and proceed carefully.

Last edited by self_driven : 8th October 2020 at 10:04.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:12   #14120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agree. Some points:

Buying the base variant of the new Harrier will be a better decision than buying the older higher variant. Stay away will be my advice.
2000rpm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 20:59   #14121

Bhp-ians, I need a humble advice. I am out to buy a pre-owned car. Based on my requirement, I have short listed two cars out of which I need to choose one.
1) Volkswagen Cross Polo 1.5 tdi 2014 Model Black Colour. 2nd Owner exquisitely maintained. New Goodyear upgraded tyres, 45000km on the ODO, service due in around 10 days (or 11000 km). Have an after market driver hand rest and better headlights. Asking Price is 50k less than 2nd option.

2) Skoda Rapid Style 2015 model 1.5 tdi Black edition Silver colour with black roof. 2nd owner seems well maintained (no further details). 37000km on the ODO and next service due only after a year (or 14500km). Everything stock. Tyres have run the kms in the ODO (I think it will run 10000km max). Blackened alloys, headlamps, roof..etc as per black package. Asking rate is 50k more than the 1st option.

I live in Trivandrum, where I have heard the Volkswagen service is better than the Skoda. But there are good private workshops too. Please advice on which is the better buy?
Azharumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 22:10   #14122
Senior - BHPian

How much should I pay for a Baleno VVT 1.2 Delta, April 2016 model done 82K Kms. Car is a single owner car. Broker is quoting 4.5 Lakhs.
Old 9th October 2020, 01:11   #14123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
This can be a good deal at 16 lakhs. But be prepared to face and fix minor niggles that'll crop up during your ownership.

Make sure you're not getting a test drive car with a rigged odo. Tata dealers are not to be blindly trusted upon, so check the car thoroughly and proceed carefully.
Yes, 16 lakh is what I have in mind.

Hmm, demo car with rigged odo is possible. Will check the registration date, tyre condition etc if they agree for 16 lakh.
Old 9th October 2020, 06:21   #14124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
How much should I pay for a Baleno VVT 1.2 Delta, April 2016 model done 82K Kms. Car is a single owner car. Broker is quoting 4.5 Lakhs.
Mate, are you looking at the same ad on olx for the red delta?

Regarding the price, since you’re dealing with a broker, he has added 50,000 as his commission because for a 80,000kms + Suzuki, the price shouldn’t be more than 4L tops (in great condition, low mileage, etc).

Most modern Suzuki’s don’t age well, let alone something that has run 82,000. It will surely be full of rattles and you’ll be looking at a major suspension overhaul in the near future (we have owned 7 Suzuki’s in the past). Also from the pictures in the OLX ad, it looks like you’ll require new tyres too.

Besides the fact that we have a Jazz VX CVT, I would rather you have a Jazz for a little more money than the new Baleno, because with a MT, you won’t have to deal with the sluggish transmission.

https://www.olx.in/en/item/honda-jaz...iid-1598756509

Don’t be fooled by the low maintenance promise from Suzuki because just last month when we went to service the Ignis at Chowgules at Borda, the bill was almost 8000 for a 30,000km service. The Jazz, a car which costed twice as much as the Ignis, the service & labour was lesser by 1500.

I’d rather have a Jazz than a Baleno just for the service costs alone.

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 9th October 2020 at 06:38.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 07:19   #14125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Make: Volkswagen
Car: Vento
Variant: All-star
Colour: Carbon Steel
Had posted this earlier, however got missed by all. Reposting it so can get some thoughts from all of you on the fair price I can expect.
Make: Volkswagen
Car: Vento
Variant: All-star
Colour: Carbon Steel
Transmission: Manual
Fuel: Petrol
Engine: 1.6 MPI
Manufacturing Month and Year: August 2017
Registered Month and Year: September 2017
Odometer: 35K Kms
Company Warranty: September 2021
Condition: Mint
Service History: Detailed service history at VW Service Center
Loan: No
Owner: Single
Minimal scrathes, No mechanical issues, No insurance claims and No warranty claims.

What can one expect on Vento with above given information?
As per Cars24, they don't have a price for All-star 1.6 MPI however for Highline 1.6 MPI they have quoted as below.
Attached Images

Last edited by VWAllstar : 9th October 2020 at 07:20.
Old 9th October 2020, 08:38   #14126
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had posted this earlier, however got missed by all. Reposting it so can get some thoughts from all of you on the fair price I can expect.

What can one expect on Vento with above given information?
As per Cars24, they don't have a price for All-star 1.6 MPI however for Highline 1.6 MPI they have quoted as below.
Any reason for selling the car so early, a 3 year old car will be a depreciation disaster as seen by the prices quoted. Also fair price cannot be in the 5 Lakh range, you should expect more till around 7-8L for a 3 year old car!

All-Star is based on the highline itself right?
Old 9th October 2020, 10:04   #14127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
Any reason for selling the car so early, a 3 year old car will be a depreciation disaster as seen by the prices quoted.
I own two diesel cars which are used more. Especially in Mumbai, prefer driving the hatch or compact sedan over Vento. Long drives are done on Ameo DSG for the ease of an automatic transmission and turns out very economical.
Quote:
Also fair price cannot be in the 5 Lakh range, you should expect more till around 7-8L for a 3 year old car!
As per VW dealers the price of the car is less than 5 Lakhs. Checked with OLX Cash my Car, they quoted approximately 5 Lakhs. Reasons mentioned are VW, Petrol (VW Diesels have more demand) and mid variant.

Quote:
All-Star is based on the highline itself right?
It is based on comfortline with additional alloys, all black interiors and special fabric seats (gimmick)

Last edited by VWAllstar : 9th October 2020 at 10:05.
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:29   #14128
BHPian

Quote:

As per VW dealers the price of the car is less than 5 Lakhs. Checked with OLX Cash my Car, they quoted approximately 5 Lakhs. Reasons mentioned are VW, Petrol (VW Diesels have more demand) and mid variant.

It is based on comfortline with additional alloys, all black interiors and special fabric seats (gimmick)
The VW dealers and OLX are not reliable sources for getting price range. Unfortunately it seems like a cartel pricing when it comes to reaching out to most of these sources. I have a very good condition 2013 Vento 1.6 petrol Highline AT run 57k kms for which the dealership gave a price of 2.5. I already have received a 4L from a private buyer, but I am holding on as I think it is worth more.
click is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:38   #14129
knp
BHPian

I agree. last year, I have paid. 6.4L for 2015 Comfortline TDI Manual Vento. So, yours should be around 7L to 7.5L.
knp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 11:49   #14130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Mate, are you looking at the same ad on olx for the red delta?
Yes the same one. I stay close to his showroom.

Quote:
Regarding the price, since you’re dealing with a broker, he has added 50,000 as his commission because for a 80,000kms + Suzuki, the price shouldn’t be more than 4L tops (in great condition, low mileage, etc).
That's his quoted price. No way I'm paying that much.

Quote:
Most modern Suzuki’s don’t age well, let alone something that has run 82,000.
Which Maruti ages well? Maybe the S-Cross is an exception.

Quote:
It will surely be full of rattles and you’ll be looking at a major suspension overhaul in the near future (we have owned 7 Suzuki’s in the past). Also from the pictures in the OLX ad, it looks like you’ll require new tyres too.
I have factored in a complete suspension overhaul with aftermarket parts, new alloys and tyres and upgrading the engine to 1.4.

Quote:
Besides the fact that we have a Jazz VX CVT, I would rather you have a Jazz for a little more money than the new Baleno, because with a MT, you won’t have to deal with the sluggish transmission.
Never been a fan of the Jazz. My friend had a 1st gen Jazz. Though practical, it was absolutely no fun to drive.

Quote:
Don’t be fooled by the low maintenance promise from Suzuki because just last month when we went to service the Ignis at Chowgules at Borda, the bill was almost 8000 for a 30,000km service. The Jazz, a car which costed twice as much as the Ignis, the service & labour was lesser by 1500.
With Maruti, once warranty is over I don't bother taking it to the dealer. Our Celerio has not visited the ASS for over 2 years now.

Quote:
I’d rather have a Jazz than a Baleno just for the service costs alone.
The purpose of this car is different. Jazz doesn't fit the bill. I'm looking at other Baleno's too. There are quite a few 1 year old examples for sale. Rather than the Delta, I'd go for a Zeta or Alpha.

BTW where are you from? I live in Fatorda.

Most Viewed