Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2010, 15:31   #1726
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Verna 2007 July, 65k done.Was bought for 5.5lac. Has ABS but not sure if its SX.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:27   #1727
Senior - BHPian

My friend was searching for a Swift diesel and he found one car. It is an August 2008 model VDi with ABS. It has run around 40k kms and is supposedly in excellent condition. The owner has quoted around 4.8 L for it.

Do you guys think it is a fair price? Btw, this is in Bangalore.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:34   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
My friend was searching for a Swift diesel and he found one car. It is an August 2008 model VDi with ABS. It has run around 40k kms and is supposedly in excellent condition. The owner has quoted around 4.8 L for it.

Do you guys think it is a fair price? Btw, this is in Bangalore.
Seems to be a good price. A 2008 Vdi goes for the same price in Kerala. Since taxes are higher in Bangalore, the price seems to be fine. Do check out the car thoroughly though.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:44   #1729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Seems to be a good price. A 2008 Vdi goes for the same price in Kerala. Since taxes are higher in Bangalore, the price seems to be fine. Do check out the car thoroughly though.
No matter how well it is maintained, being a maruti car the following needs to be changed after 60k kms:

Suspension
Clutch
Tyres
Battery

Take the above into consideration, 4.8 lakhs is way too high

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 26th May 2010 at 16:45.
Old 26th May 2010, 16:51   #1730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
No matter how well it is maintained, being a maruti car the following needs to be changed after 60k kms:

Suspension
Clutch
Tyres
Battery

I haven't seen the car yet. I'm told that it is in a very good condition and not at all used roughly. I guess I will get a better idea after I take a look.

What do you think is a fair price for this car (assuming it is in good condition)?
Old 26th May 2010, 23:46   #1731
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
This sounds good. Is it in Delhi ?
No its in Nagpur, probably sold by now.
Old 27th May 2010, 10:27   #1732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post

Suspension
Clutch
Tyres
Battery

I don't buy this. You mean you say that all Marutis need to get those things replaced every 60k. You got to be kidding buddy.

Suspension - Need not be changed after 60k though a lot depends on the road condtions and how the car is being driven. The suspension of my Maruti 800 is as good as new (no squeaks/rattles) after 52k kms. I don't anticipate a replacement of even the bushes at 60k kms given the current condition.

Clutch - Again depends a lot on the driver and partly on traffic conditions. My 800 is still on its original factory fitted clutch after 10 years and 52k kms on the odo. Don't anticipate a replacement at 60k given its current condition.

Tyre - Tyre life specified by the tyre manufacturer is 40k max be it Maruti or Hyundai or any other car of that matter. For SUV's it could be even lesser. This is dependent on the tyre brand and has got nothing to do with the car manufacturer. My 800's original JK tyre was good for 51k kms.

Battery - This again is dependent on the battery manufacturer and nothing to do with the kms covered. I have replaced my car battery 3 times in the past 10 years so that's a n average of 3.3 years per battery.

Last edited by longhorn : 27th May 2010 at 10:31.
Old 27th May 2010, 21:09   #1733

Hi...

I am a total novice about cars. I used to drive but now I cannot because of a problem with my eyes. So, I will need a driver. When I say I am a novice about cars, I mean, technically, I have no idea how to evaluate a car.

Also, having moved to Bangalore very recently, I don't know too many people and the people that I do know are (in my opinion) as clueless about cars as I am.

I am looking to buy a used car. Preference is a Santro (though the basic consideration is FE and reasonably low maintainence). I also have to factor in that a driver is going to be driving. I expect the car to be driven for about 1000 kms per month within the city.

Given this, I have two questions:

(1) Though I have checked out the Carwale website and have read through the forums here, I find quite a bit of the information confusing. There are so many opinions - some conflicting with others. So, how do I know which car is good to buy and what is a fair price for it? I have read that dealers often overclock the odometer and so their ads are quite misleading. In other words, it is difficult to trust a dealer. I stand to be corrected of course on this.

(2) Secondly, assuming I find a Santro (with an AC) whose odometer says it has done around 45,000 kms, it is a 2005 car and has a single owner with Karnataka plates, and the price being quoted is 2.6 lacs, would this be a fair price? If not, for a car of that profile, what would be a ballpark price (on road)?

Sorry for the really newbie questions, but honestly, about cars I am clueless though I now seem to desperately need one.

Thanks
Old 28th May 2010, 12:19   #1734
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristalsoldier View Post

(1) Though I have checked out the Carwale website and have read through the forums here, I find quite a bit of the information confusing. There are so many opinions - some conflicting with others. So, how do I know which car is good to buy and what is a fair price for it? I have read that dealers often overclock the odometer and so their ads are quite misleading. In other words, it is difficult to trust a dealer. I stand to be corrected of course on this.

(2) Secondly, assuming I find a Santro (with an AC) whose odometer says it has done around 45,000 kms, it is a 2005 car and has a single owner with Karnataka plates, and the price being quoted is 2.6 lacs, would this be a fair price? If not, for a car of that profile, what would be a ballpark price (on road)?
I think your choice of car is good enough based on your requirements. You could also consider a WagonR.

Re. the car selection process - there are no clear cut answers there. Remember we are talking about used cars here which do not have a fixed price like new cars and hence everything is quite subjective.

Dealers do fiddle with odos (and a lot else) that is why you should be looking for a car with a good clean service history. The history is available at authorized service centres so check with the seller about it.

Re. the particular Santro you are talking about IMO a price around 2.25 should be more like it. Considering a similar car would go for around 1.8ish in the NCR area, 2.25 should be a good enough price for it in Bangalore.
Old 29th May 2010, 17:04   #1735
Senior - BHPian

I came across a 2009 Ford Fiesta S that has run for 20000 kms. The owner is asking between 6.5 to 7L.

The car is in Bombay and I am yet to see the car, what do you feel would be the approximate rate for the car? I remember GTO mentioning a Fiesta S for around 4.75 but that I think was a distress sale. Hence the low price.

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards
Old 29th May 2010, 23:01   #1736
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
I came across a 2009 Ford Fiesta S that has run for 20000 kms. The owner is asking between 6.5 to 7L.

The car is in Bombay and I am yet to see the car, what do you feel would be the approximate rate for the car? I remember GTO mentioning a Fiesta S for around 4.75 but that I think was a distress sale. Hence the low price.

Looking forward to your replies.

Regards
Get it for 5.25/5.5L since 1.6S is having poor resale value !
Old 29th May 2010, 23:30   #1737
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Get it for 5.25/5.5L since 1.6S is having poor resale value !
Wow! Thats a killer price.

Thanks Mithun!
Old 30th May 2010, 15:53   #1738
BHPian

1.6 S costs only 7.25 on road in chennai. If the owner is asking for 7 for a car that is one year old and run 20,000 KMs is costly.

If you can bring it down to 5 to 5.25 then it is good price, not more than that.

Last edited by Pr_007 : 30th May 2010 at 15:55.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:40   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
1.6 S costs only 7.25 on road in chennai. If the owner is asking for 7 for a car that is one year old and run 20,000 KMs is costly.

If you can bring it down to 5 to 5.25 then it is good price, not more than that.
How does it cost so less in chennai? I called up SC Ford in Bombay and they mentioned an OTR price of 8.3L, this includes a discount of 30k towards free insurance. No more discounts and S is a made to order car, so a waiting period of 1 month.

I cannot believe that there is a difference of 1L between Bombay and Chennai prices unless you guys are being offered discounts.
Old 31st May 2010, 14:20   #1740
BHPian

how much to pay for a 2009 Aug i10 Sports A/T

hi,
a friend of mine was interested in buying an I10 Auto in Hyderabad

These is a 2009 Aug i10 Sports A/T Blushing red available for sale.
It has done only 8100Kms.
Insurance is going to expire on 6th July 2010.
It has only 1 dent which is not that bad.

The car in general, is very Clean.

SO what should i pay for this car.

Sorry didnt take any pics...

Most Viewed