Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2010, 12:08   #1816
Team-BHP Support

If a car has sold less, then there is a proportionately smaller number of cars to choose from in the used car market. Supply-demand economics works here too, and this pushes up the pre-owned car prices to "normal" levels.

I found this the hard way when I was looking at a pre-owned Hyundai Tucson.
Old 10th June 2010, 13:13   #1817
Senior - BHPian

More to come

Quote:
That's a tough one. Simply because very few Captivas would have been traded in the used car market (because few were sold in the first place). If I had to make some sort of an educated guess I would say somewhere around 12-13L depending on the car condition/odo reading. I am basing my estimate on the Endy of a similar vintage which would go for around 11.

However DL plates could now be costlier because of the hike in road tax (which would have easily added 1L+ to on-road price of Captiva).
Hmm! I was hoping to check if there may be something available for around 10 or so. In that case, my funding would have been easier. If it crosses that mark, it may be a stretch for me. This is so as I may plan to sell my cars to fund this purchase and add a couple of lakhs to it. I will still land substantially short of my target price. In that case, I may have to go for a used car loan, which has very high interest rates. If I have this SUV rules out, my search will narrow down considerably. Although I haven't done any actual survey as of yet.

Tell me this then: How much will a decently maintained CIVIC cost in NCR, if I plan to buy this car around the same time frame i.e. 4-5 months later. The CIVIC may have either DL or HR number. It may be '06 or '07 model. It may be S-MT or V-MT! It may have 20k to 40k kms. I see cars listed at Carwale staring 6.2 as well. remember, I need to buy after 4-5 months, not now! Right now, I am only looking for ball park figures.

If you see, I am doing sequential surveys. All this will contribute to my car buying decision.

I am also active on the VW VENTO thread

I also need atleast two cars

Any co- relations? Well, After I have done my surveys (both from tbhp and market), I will give you guys very interesting scenarios to choose from. VERY SOON guys....First give me the CIVIC estimations!
Old 10th June 2010, 13:21   #1818
BHPian

These are the kind of areas where the dealers make a killing. If you go for selling the car they will quote a rock-bottom price saying that the car has very small demand, very few were sold etc. etc. If you go to them as a buyer they will quote an insane price saying very difficult to find a good one, very few were sold etc. etc.

There can be a big difference if one can source these kind of cars directly from the seller rather than from the dealer.

@Abhi

Let's get you 2 estimates at the bottom and top-end of your range (assuming a good condition car with around 30-40k clicks on the odo)
2006 Civic S MT HR registration - around 6.5
2007 V MT DL registration - around 8
These figures should broadly hold with a +-5% deviation.

Last edited by Cesc : 10th June 2010 at 13:27.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:45   #1819
Senior - BHPian

I'll come back with specifics!

Cesc,

Thanks buddy! I think thats a fair estimate. Okies, so whether I sell my cars or retain one of them, I will need a SEDAN/SUV and a HATCHBACK. One of them needs to be a diesel/CNG for low running.

Basically the CIVIC (used) will be competing for the sedan's spot very soon. Once I drive the VW VENTO and LIENA T-JET, I will have shortlisted my sedans. We can then ponder on what to do for the hatchback.

Net net! I will post (and be open to suggestions) for the combination of vehicles that suit my needs (and passion too; for e.g. I will never consider Verna no matter how good it may be). I'll be back once things unfold in a separate thread. Trust me, it may be fun for you too to choose vehicles for me!
Old 10th June 2010, 15:30   #1820

My search for a Baleno/OHC 1.5EXI/OHC VTEC in Hyd

I've been on the lookout for a well cared for Baleno or an OHC 1.5EXI (or a VTEC) in Hyderabad for almost a month now and it has been a painfully slow process to say the least!

Hyderabad, to its credit, has a very reasonable used car market unlike other cities in the south. My budget of 2.5lacs seemed reasonable given the cars that I’m looking at!

However, finding decent used cars is becoming an increasingly painful exercise. My sources so far have been ads in online portals, recognized used car dealerships and newspaper classifieds. Here is what I like/dislike about each of them

Online portals
1. Carhyderabad.com - these guys seem to have an exhaustive list of cars in their database. However, the information available about the cars is sketchy to say the least and it is extremely inconvenient to find the recency of the listing. Besides, it is next to impossible to get the contact details of the advertiser. Every time I try I get the same message telling me that the advertiser did not have enough credit and therefore I cannot be given his/her contact details!

2. sulekha classifieds - sulekha too has an exhaustive list of cars in their database AND clearly states the date of the listing. This helps save time and effort on calls made to sellers who posted an ad months ago. Getting contact details of the sellers is a fairly straightforward process. The only problem with sulekha is the huge number of listings by brokers some of whom resort to posting false ads just to attract attention and make a quick buck.

Case in point being a used car dealership that calls itself "AutoIndia". On the 3rd of June there were 4 ads listed for balenos at unbelievable prices by the same individual. When I eventually called the contact number provided, I was informed that this was a used car dealership and that I was required to pay a "Registration" fee of Rs. 500 to avail of their services (which they said was showing me six cars that suited my requirements within one month!) What followed was incessant badgering over the next couple of days when they put an "executive" on my case to collect the registration fee. A few hours later, I received a call from them saying that there was a Baleno available and that I should get to secunderabad at the earliest to see the vehicle. It took me about tem minutes to make a few phone calls to reschedule everything else I had planned for the evening and just when I was done with that I got a call from the dealership telling me that it would be possible to see the vehicle only on the following day. They assured to call me and fix an appointment for the same. However it has been almost a week now and I am still waiting for their phone call (I’ve tried calling them but their phones are either busy or keep ringing endlessly so I have no option but to wait). On the one occasion that they answered my call, I expressed my displeasure at their poor quality of service only to be told that I was being unreasonable in expecting them to call me to keep me informed. I’ve written off the 500 bucks I paid them.

3. Dr Car – I find them to be the most professional of the lot. The level of detail available in the listings on their website is commendable. The inspection reports available for most vehicles are extremely helpful. I have noticed though that most cars have bonnet, fenders, doors, boot, etc. re-painted. I wonder if this is only a cosmetic bit (more so when the same inspection report also claims that the car has not been involved in any collision). The registration process is fairly simple and the support available on the phone subsequently is very good. Prices though seem to be a notch on the higher side in my opinion.

Newspaper classifieds
Though they carry a fair number of listings, my issue with newspaper classifieds is that they are available only once a week and that they are dominated by dealers and brokers who are very liberal with the use of superlatives when they describe the car.

I once saw an ad for an “immaculate” OHC in “scratch-less condition” that was “fully loaded” with alloy wheels, audio system and central locking. When I did get around to inspecting the car I was shocked. The paint work though scratch-less had completely faded away in patches. The interiors were shabby to say the least and the test drive had me battling with the steering wheel to keep the car going in a straight line. REJECT!!!

Used car divisions of car dealerships
I have tried only two of these so far, Auto terrace (Honda) and Varun Motors (Maruti Suzuki). There seems to be a general dearth of used cars coming in through their doors. For some reason OHCs and Balenos are never making it back to used car divisions of these dealerships. I’ve been in touch with salesmen from Auto terrace and Varun Motors’ used car division for almost a month ago and am yet to make any headway in my quest for a decent set of wheels!

So, that’s the story so far. I’m hoping that the experiences outlined here will make the search for a used car easier for some of you. I’m also hoping (very desperately) that some of you would be able to help me in my search – advice, leads, anything! (Actually I’m hoping that there is something like a tooth fairy equivalent that will just plonk a nice car in my parking lot while I’m asleep!)

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th June 2010 at 15:36. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
Old 10th June 2010, 19:04   #1821
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey keep trying brah! Don't get hisheartened. Many of us finalise a dael after months of searching. 6-7 months to get a car is not abnormal. This is the period which makes you more passionate about the purchase and you tend to look after the car more seriously. Best of luck man! I am sure you will find a car of your liking for sure.
Old 10th June 2010, 23:15   #1822
BANNED

Folks what would be the right price for a 4 month old Linea emotion top end metallic car which has less than 8000 on the odo. In the NCR, I believe this retails at close to 9.2 lakhs for a new one, but one second thoughts, when me Dad told me about this car, I was wondering..why would a person sell a 4 month old top end model which I believe he would definitely purchased after lot of research/thoughts/effort..??
Old 11th June 2010, 00:15   #1823
BHPian

What should be the price of a Esteem LXI, 2006 model, with 22k on the odo.
Old 11th June 2010, 10:43   #1824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinthru' View Post
Folks what would be the right price for a 4 month old Linea emotion top end metallic car which has less than 8000 on the odo. In the NCR, I believe this retails at close to 9.2 lakhs for a new one, but one second thoughts, when me Dad told me about this car, I was wondering..why would a person sell a 4 month old top end model which I believe he would definitely purchased after lot of research/thoughts/effort..??
One such car is listed on TBhp's classifieds section as well (Linea top-end diesel from Gurgaon). The owner is asking 8.55L. Personally I feel that nobody is going to buy a used vehicle for 6-7% difference from the price of a new one. IMO the moment a sedan rolls out of the showroom, you can knock off 1L from it's price.

In any case if you are talking about a different car then you can make an honest offer to the owner. Tell him you will buy the vehicle by paying 5-10k over what the dealers are quoting for the vehicle (which I think is not going to be a rupee over 7.75l).
Old 11th June 2010, 11:13   #1825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
Congrats Hiren. Yours would officially be the shortest used car-hunt that I have ever come across!

Even though the price is a bit on the higher side, I honestly think it should not matter. You got what you liked and that is what matters. Plus the car has been verified as completely clean and with such few ticks on the odo, should serve you for a long time. Enjoy the ownership.
I know and I am still shell shocked!
Well I am ok with the price as the car is in very good condition and checked by Honda. Moreover, the car has had a 20k service done barely 400 kms ago and I plan to get the car serviced only once a year, so thats a bonus for me.

I am really looking forward to the car and its been 2 nights now that I've been unable to sleep well.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 11th June 2010, 11:46   #1826
BHPian

Hi Guys, I just checked an i10 Kappa (Magna) varient from carwale belonging to an IBM'er . The car has done 6k on the odo and was bought June 2009. He has also renewed the insurance till June 2011.Come with all basic accessories like basic mp3/usb system, seat cover and other stuff. What price should i quote? The car was taken as a lease from his company and he said would need to get an NOC from his company before we can sell it to me.

What would be a good price of this car.
Old 11th June 2010, 23:47   #1827
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
What should be the price of a Esteem LXI, 2006 model, with 22k on the odo.

Anything between 2.5-3.2 lakhs. Subject to condition of the car as well as location (city).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Hi Guys, I just checked an i10 Kappa (Magna) varient from carwale belonging to an IBM'er . The car has done 6k on the odo and was bought June 2009. He has also renewed the insurance till June 2011.Come with all basic accessories like basic mp3/usb system, seat cover and other stuff. What price should i quote? The car was taken as a lease from his company and he said would need to get an NOC from his company before we can sell it to me.

What would be a good price of this car.

First of all, why is he selling the car? Its hardly a year old. Check if it was involved in some mishap.

If all is fine, then keeping in fact that its a very popular car, 3.65-4 should be a safe bet.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 11th June 2010 at 23:53.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:01   #1828
BHPian

YC.Baleno - Thanks dude. He says he would be leaving abroad. Let me check it out tomorrow and would let you know.
Old 12th June 2010, 00:04   #1829
BANNED

Price for an Automatic Car

I am looking for

1) Maruti-800 Automatic- Anyone who can locate one such car for sale , appreciable and also its price

2) Maruti Zen Automatic - Got to know of a well maintained 1999 Auto-Zen priced at 1.35 lacs, is this a good buy?
Old 12th June 2010, 00:12   #1830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I am looking for

1) Maruti-800 Automatic- Anyone who can locate one such car for sale , appreciable and also its price

2) Maruti Zen Automatic - Got to know of a well maintained 1999 Auto-Zen priced at 1.35 lacs, is this a good buy?
800 auto? Never heard of one. Maruti never gave a auto box with the 800. It came with a 5 speed for sometime. Otherwise you have that standard 4 speed thing.

1.35 for a 99 Zen AX isn't really a bargain. Zen commands good resale value but AX version does not. Bargain a bit and see if it comes down.

Also you may like to look for some other vehicles with manual tranny and consider fitting an after-mart semi auto transmission. I heard about it half a decade ago but from what I know it wasn't really a bad option. Don't know if its still available. AFAIK even the Santro Zip-versions came with a semi -auto 4 speed box.\

@MutantX

Chances are he will quote close to 4 lakhs. Maybe more. But bargain hard. Keep in mind that he doesn't have really a lot of time in his hands as he is moving abroad. Unless the car is in terrific shape, do not go beyond 4-lakh limit.

Regards

Most Viewed