Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 08:39   #1951
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
Guys, how much would a 1 year old ANHC run for 20,000 kms command in the market ?
donarun, in chennai used car prices are a little high because of the dealers. I would say 8-8.25L would be the right price to get the AHNC. Look at the history of the car because you make the offer.
Old 25th June 2010, 09:15   #1952
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
donarun, in chennai used car prices are a little high because of the dealers. I would say 8-8.25L would be the right price to get the AHNC. Look at the history of the car because you make the offer.
I havent seen the car yet but i'm told its a well maintained car. It is a company car, used (self driven) by a general manger of a company. Does it depreciate only 1 - 1.4 lakhs even when the car has done 20,000 kms ?
Old 25th June 2010, 10:56   #1953
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by donarun View Post
I havent seen the car yet but i'm told its a well maintained car. It is a company car, used (self driven) by a general manger of a company. Does it depreciate only 1 - 1.4 lakhs even when the car has done 20,000 kms ?
Still nothing like a new car, I personally feel you should go for a new honda city. If you are opting for a pre-owned car loan, you would pay more for interest too.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 25th June 2010 at 10:57.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:24   #1954
Senior - BHPian

If I were you, I would put my money on a Baleno. Yes, the esteem is really outdated. Steer clear of the ikon, look for newer examples of a ikon if you are hell bent on it.
Old 25th June 2010, 12:45   #1955
Distinguished - BHPian

I just sold my 2003 Ford Ikon Nxt Rocam Engine with 71500 Kms done for 1.18L.

There is no way you should be paying 90K for a 2000 model Ikon. It comes with a Endura engine. Not a great one. Forget about this Ikon!
Old 25th June 2010, 13:25   #1956
Senior - BHPian

All the cars mentioned are high mileage cars.

The 2000 Ikon is the Endura spec one and is sluggish.

The Esteem is outdated and believe me, procuring the parts are not really easy.

My brother has a 2000 Esteem and the spare parts was a hassle, MGA north withstanding.

The spares of Baleno are prohibitively expensive.

Suggest that you look for lower mileage newer cars.

If your budget is this side of 1 lac, you could consider the Fiat Palio.
A great car to drive and own!!
Old 25th June 2010, 14:07   #1957
BHPian

It is like choosing from three dark horses

My opinion - look further and maybe you will find a better car. If you want only a sedan then try looking for a newer Esteem and a Ford with a Rocam engine. Else ponder over a Zen.

But if it HAS to be among the three you mentioned, then go for the Esteem - Maintenance woes will be lesser compared to the other two.

But if you want a "drivers car", go for the Ikon. Maintenance will be/could be a nightmare. Parts are expensive; but you will have that smile on your face when you take her out to an open road.

Initial price and later maintenace of the Baleno would greatly overshoot your budget.
Old 25th June 2010, 14:16   #1958
Team-BHP Support

@Mzone : Steer clear of the 2000 model Ikon. The Endura engine it came with makes for a non-interesting proposition.

Among the three, my vote is for the Baleno, but all parts dont come cheap since some are SGP over MGP.

If you want to go for an Ikon, extend your budget some more, and look around. With the not-so-happening resale values, you should be able to get better pieces in your extended budget.
Old 26th June 2010, 14:47   #1959
Distinguished - BHPian

Resale price of santro xing

We own a 2003 November Santro Xing XS(Top end) model.since we have bought a i20 we are selling the Santro.What is the best price i can expect?I am selling it to the hyundai showroom itself.

The car is in very good condition.just a few scratches on the front bumper.
60K kms done.Service done at 5K interval.Castrol Magnatec engine oil used since first service.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th June 2010 at 15:39. Reason: post moved to the correct thread.
Old 26th June 2010, 21:18   #1960
BHPian

Hey guys thanks for the replies, the ikon is out of the picture as the dealer is quoting 85k minimum for it which is really not worth it.

So now the choice boils down to the esteem or baleno.The baleno is an lxi and the last price I can get it for is 1.65.This is still above my budget so is it worth spending the money on the baleno? I am a new driver but over time I would want a car that is fun to drive.What is the main difference between the lxi and vxi? Anything important?

The esteem I'm not really sure about, but If I have to I guess that would be the best choice right?

What other cars can I expect in this price range? Sedans only.
Old 26th June 2010, 22:45   #1961
BHPian

as it is 04 model,in vxi you will get rear defoger,better seat fabric,and vxi badge.but i suggest you stay away from that car as it has run 90k.baleno spares are too much expensive.if you dont want to streach your budget find god esteem or spend little more and go for baleno.baleno is much better car to drive than esteem.
Old 26th June 2010, 23:03   #1962
BHPian

my 2 cents.
Since the choice is now between 2 Marutis, it is a matter of your preference.

AFAIK, Baleno will be more fun to drive due to the power quotient.

However, if I were you ( considering my needs of - more city drive and not highway drives, prefer a more practical/reliable/economical car even if I have to compromise on power), I would go for Esteem. Till couple of years back, it was winning the "most reliable" engine award.
Old 27th June 2010, 20:28   #1963
Senior - BHPian

If i were you and if its my first car i would stay away from both the ikon and baleno, both are very expensive to maintain. The esteem is the cheapest to maintain of the 3 and its very much bulletproof. As arnabchak mentioned, there is no issues with parts unless its a trype 1. A 2002 is a type 2 and MPFI, so is a fun to drive car, but make sure its atleast an LXI as an LX comes with a manual steering and manual windows and is tough to drive in city with a manual steering. I would suggest get a car directly from a party and avoid dealers if you hate surprises. Most of the dealer cars are well dressed but underneath might have a lot of issues, i became a mechanic after buying an esteem from a dealer, the very first day the battery died and soon the suspension packed up. It continued to trouble me till finally it was totaled in 2008. since you are a new driver have the car checked thoroughly.

Pramod
Old 27th June 2010, 23:40   #1964
JLN
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
We own a 2003 November Santro Xing XS(Top end) model.since we have bought a i20 we are selling the Santro.What is the best price i can expect?I am selling it to the hyundai showroom itself.

The car is in very good condition.just a few scratches on the front bumper.
60K kms done.Service done at 5K interval.Castrol Magnatec engine oil used since first service.
I would say around 1.75 would be a good price to expect from the dealer. I sold my 2002 santro AT (pre Xing version) 58000 kms in 2008 for 2.1 lakhs (dealers were offering 1.75). A friend of mine sold his 2000 santro 50K kms in 2008 for 1.75 to the Hyundai dealer when he bought his Verna.
Old 28th June 2010, 00:24   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Balenos are pretty reliable cars - My 2005 Baleno has not cost a lot to maintain till now - of course if you have an accident or change something than it is another story.

Of course the esteem parts would be way cheaper but then the Baleno is so much better to drive and provides significantly more space and comfort compared to the esteem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks