Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 12:53   #2431
BHPian

NAMASKAR

Tell me one thing guys...I really love all the old car like Amby, Padmini NE, Old maruti suzuki...So I was wondering should I go for one? Do anyone of you own a car this old? Tell me your experience about it and how much do you spend to maintain it? My personal choice is an Amby. But info/suggestions about Premier NE or Suzuki Standard will do too.
Old 11th November 2010, 13:50   #2432
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
Guys need you input to decide on a car for my wife.

Option 1 - Maruti Zen Vxi 2002 model 60K KM done, new Bridgestone tyres, and 1year old battery. Vehicle in stock condition no dents or scratches, but lost the shine (hope polishing will bring the shine back). Only issue is the current owner is 2nd owner (Purchased in 2005 from Maruti True value). The first owner had driven close to 30K.
asking price 1.6L (price coated when asked for maruti exchange 1.5L and 10K bonus). Owner is my dad’s friend. Reason for sale buying a new Swift.

Option 2 - 2002 Daewoo Matiz (model without body colour bumpers) - Single owner, 40K KM done till date, in stock condition. headlight is lost the shine. tyres in fair condition. Few scratches on the doors (happened at parking lot). Car self driven at Mysore daily from house to hospital and back home. Might be maximum of 8 to 10 long drives (about 300Km max).
Asking price 75K. Owner is my uncle. Reason for sale buying a new Ritz.

The price quoted is the price from by the Maruti true value dealers.

My wife still needs to learn how to drive and will be used mainly in Bangalore city.
I think you should go for the Zen. The price is reasonable considering the battery and tyres. It's a Zen afterall.

The Matiz is ages old now; it would be difficult maintaining the car (read : spare parts and accessories). Also, if you plan to sell it, there would not be any takers for this car anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
The Zen has the company fitted kenwood cassette player. I did take a test drive there was no problem except the rear parcel tray use to rattle at bumps. engine sounds very new.

I cannot negotiate with the price because the price mentioned is offered by Maruti true value.

I will surely let you know the details if i drop the plan.
Matiz will be available only in Jan 2011, because Maruti has given a delivery period for Ritzs on Jan 2011.
Do not worry about the rear parcel tray; it's a thing with my Zen too! Every time I give it for servicing, I ask the mechanic to tighten the nuts and stuff some packing near the hinges. This simply solves the problem. Take this from a Zen owner, don't consider it an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
NAMASKAR

Tell me one thing guys...I really love all the old car like Amby, Padmini NE, Old maruti suzuki...So I was wondering should I go for one? Do anyone of you own a car this old? Tell me your experience about it and how much do you spend to maintain it? My personal choice is an Amby. But info/suggestions about Premier NE or Suzuki Standard will do too.
Before you actually give these cars a thought, please keep in mind the following;

- all these cars would be older than 15 years so you'd need to get the Fitness Certificate issued by the RTO from time to time. Do you really wanna go through the hassle?
- given the time these cars were out of production, finding spares and accessories could be a problem.

Given the fact that you are considering these cars probably it doesn't matter much but also think about luxuries like power steering, air bags, company fitted a/c etc in newer cars.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:11   #2433
BHPian

Yep. You're right. So now I'm back to my previous two choices...either to go in for a used WagonR or a used Santro??
Old 11th November 2010, 14:20   #2434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Yep. You're right. So now I'm back to my previous two choices...either to go in for a used WagonR or a used Santro??
Either of the cars are good. So, depends on the deal you get. Consider factors like yr. of manufacture, engine condition, body/chasis condition, mileage, tyres/battery etc when you are checking out options.
Old 11th November 2010, 14:57   #2435
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
- given the time these cars were out of production, finding spares and accessories could be a problem.
Hey, spares for the Amby are not hard to find at all. The best part is that you can take it to any local mech, pretty simple mechanicals.

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-amby.jpg

Whatsay??
Old 11th November 2010, 15:06   #2436
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hey, spares for the Amby are not hard to find at all. The best part is that you can take it to any local mech, pretty simple mechanicals.

Attachment 451902

Whatsay??
Well, I was speaking in general. Amby spares might be available since almost all govt. cars are Ambys. But I doubt the same is the case with 118NE and old Suzuki.

Even if spares are indeed available, they'd be locally made, not OE.

Also, one would need to consider things like headlights/tail lamps, other accessories.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th November 2010 at 15:10.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:01   #2437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
Came across a Zen in Bangalore. Model LXI, 2004, 50000 kms, Single owner, Music system, New tyres.
Owner is quoting 2lakhs.
What would be the best price I can pay for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I think upto 1.7 lakhs is a good deal; 1.75 lakhs if you're very happy with it overall..
Quote:
Originally Posted by shishir_bn View Post
Nathan, as libran also mentioned for ZEN the quote will be almost 1.7 to 1.8L giving the condition of the car as "good".
The car condition is good.
But, the owner is not ready to come below 1.95 lakhs.
What shall I do guys?

Note: The music system is Cassette player.
Old 11th November 2010, 16:18   #2438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
The car condition is good.
But, the owner is not ready to come below 1.95 lakhs.
What shall I do guys?

Note: The music system is Cassette player.
If you are happy with the condition of the car w.r.t. engine, body (paint and chasis), go for it; considering you've been searching for a Zen since a long time!

What about the battery? Other things like floor mats, mud-flaps, window tinting there? Insurnace valid?

Ask him who would get the RC change done? If he agrees to it, I think you could go forward with it.
Old 15th November 2010, 20:27   #2439
BHPian

Price for Ford Ikon 2007

What price can one offer for a Ford Ikon Flair Dec 2007 Model? It has 28k on the odo with all the service records.

-Pallavi
Old 16th November 2010, 11:30   #2440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
What price can one offer for a Ford Ikon Flair Dec 2007 Model? It has 28k on the odo with all the service records.

-Pallavi
Pallavi, IMO you can expect around 2.4L to 2.6L keeping in mind that the vehicle in in good condition. Max another +/- 10k to 20k
Old 16th November 2010, 13:04   #2441
BHPian

Zen Estilo Lxi

Hi all,
Need an advice on my Zen Estilo Lxi model

Car model is Mar 2010.
Make is Zen Estilo Lxi with K-series engine, power windows only in the front.
No audio systems, ac comes default in LXi

Car has been used very sparingly( about to touch 1900KM) since I use my SX4 mostly.

Rear bumper needs to be replaced.
Slight, but visible dent on the backside.

KA registration. How much can I expect price for this?
If I get some idea, I would like to put it in T-BHP classifieds.

Main reason for selling this is that I am moving to a new apartment and for 2nd car, I need to shell out 1750000/- for parking.

Thanks in advance,
Warm regards,
BR
Old 18th November 2010, 15:16   #2442
BHPian

help

There is a car for sale on classifieds 1993 Daihatsu Charade, Diesel, Auto transmission. The car is in Borivilli

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-.../Charade.html/

I stay in Bangalore and need help from any team-bhp member to do a test drive and know if its worth the asking price. Would be a car for city jaunts for my wife, since I have sold my Santro AT recently.

Thanks and hoping to see a reply.. Not sure if I have posted on the correct thread.
Old 18th November 2010, 16:09   #2443
Senior - BHPian

^^ why do you want a car for which you might not even get spares easily? If your wife has to drive this, shouldnt it be a dependable vehicle which can be easily repaired within the city in case anything goes wrong?
Plus its MH registered and re registering it in Bangalore will cost you a nice amount, if it happens.
Do you think it will be worth the price and headache?

Last edited by sammyboy : 18th November 2010 at 16:12.
Old 18th November 2010, 17:09   #2444
BHPian

Is there a good website to research discontinued cars in India?
I wanted to check the specifications of older gen Zen. I tried TBHP and Carwale.
Can somebody help?
Old 18th November 2010, 17:18   #2445
Senior - BHPian

nathan,
What year zen?

Most Viewed