Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 19:59   #3691
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

DMV - 9.99 seems a little low price for a one year old Corolla which enjoys great resale value; Carwale suggest close to 12L; please check the vehicle thoroughly for any damages/odo tampering. If everything is in order this sounds like a good deal.

Last edited by vishygk : 21st October 2011 at 20:00. Reason: grammar
Old 22nd October 2011, 18:55   #3692
dmv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishygk View Post
DMV - 9.99 seems a little low price for a one year old Corolla which enjoys great resale value; Carwale suggest close to 12L; please check the vehicle thoroughly for any damages/odo tampering. If everything is in order this sounds like a good deal.
Thanks Vishygk.
Its closer to 2 yrs old (well, about 21 months now).
Odo reading is probably ok since Nandi toyota confirmed last service at 22K in Feb 2011 and its been on dealer lot since Aug end.
Not sure how to check for damages though, especially if any work was done outside official Toyota workshops.

Price did seem a little low, but used petrol sedans dont seem to be having a good time right now and folks may not be willing to shell out that much cash (seeing the high used car loan rates). Still, I dont want to fool myself into thinking that everything's ok just because I liked the car.
Thats the main reason for this query on Team-BHP. A reality-check !!
Old 22nd October 2011, 23:25   #3693
BHPian

I'm sure you have seen the "how to buy a used car" thread, if not please go thro', gives you the lowdown.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...car-india.html

Coming back to your question, I suggest the following

- Get a thorough checkup done from any Toyota dealer; from what I know they are fairly reliable. This is money well spent considering you are very close to purchase.
- Check if you can get extended warranty (I think car is still under warranty <2 yrs), so this will buy you peace of mind, haggle hard and see if the dealer can cover this within the total price!

I do think this is a good price (petrol or not!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmv View Post
Thanks Vishygk.
Its closer to 2 yrs old (well, about 21 months now).
Odo reading is probably ok since Nandi toyota confirmed last service at 22K in Feb 2011 and its been on dealer lot since Aug end.
Not sure how to check for damages though, especially if any work was done outside official Toyota workshops.

Price did seem a little low, but used petrol sedans dont seem to be having a good time right now and folks may not be willing to shell out that much cash (seeing the high used car loan rates). Still, I dont want to fool myself into thinking that everything's ok just because I liked the car.
Thats the main reason for this query on Team-BHP. A reality-check !!
Old 23rd October 2011, 00:02   #3694
Senior - BHPian

Guys looking for a used Santro Xing in Bangalore and after searching have finalised these two, need your opinions on this:

1. Aug-2009 car, done 11,100km, first owner, owner is quoting 3,10,000. Reason for sale is due to him going abroad, serviced only at advaith. ONLY third party insurance.

2.Mar-08 car, done about 32k km, first owner, quote is 2,90,000. Reason for sale is upgradation, serviced only at trident on IRR, comprehensive insurance.

On the face of it, the first appears better but it has very low mileage and may be a 'garage queen', so i'm a little hesitant.

Also, is it a good idea to get the car checked by another service station(other than where its been serviced) prior to purchase ? We've not owned any hyundai cars in the past, so if any member can refer me to a SA whom they've been happy with, it'll be of great help!
Old 23rd October 2011, 09:03   #3695
Senior - BHPian

Why is the Aug 09 car having only third party insurance? One of the reasons could be that in the third year the owner already decided to sell it and so has saved money on a comprehensive insurance. But still it's better to check with the insurance company or Advaith Hyundai regarding any accidental claims. The car has run, on average, less than 400kms a month, which may not necessarily warrant a 'garage queen' title. So check up on the third party insurance matter.

For any car you are buying used, it would always make sense to get the car checked from an 'independent' garage or mechanic. So your thinking is good.
Old 24th October 2011, 01:33   #3696
BHPian

Guys I need help here. Planning to buy a 2005 Skoda Superb 2.8 V6. Its well maintained single owner with no accidents. Done around 60K Km. How much do you think the car's worth paying?

Last edited by shekhar_gogoi : 24th October 2011 at 01:35.
Old 24th October 2011, 09:57   #3697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi
Guys I need help here. Planning to buy a 2005 Skoda Superb 2.8 V6. Its well maintained single owner with no accidents. Done around 60K Km. How much do you think the car's worth paying?
Hi shekhar

A friend of mine in chennai was negotiating for a similar one, had a few minor scratches. The rate was around 8.5. He settled on an accord, I think as he heard that there are some gearbox issues with superb old versions.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:21   #3698

Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy an Optra Magnum 2008-09 Diesel version, just yesterday I had checked one LT of May 2008, The Car was good, not accidental, although the rear bumper was repainted and the right side morror indicator was slightly damaged and a few sq. inches of dry denting job done. Got it checked from a reliable mechanic. The dealer on telephonic conversations asked for 5 lacs, after my checkups jumped to 5.25, now it is a 07 manufactured car registered in may 2008, I told him 4 Lacs as last price and walked out. How much it is really worth? help
Old 24th October 2011, 11:33   #3699
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiteshAgnihotri View Post
Hi Friends,

I am planning to buy an Optra Magnum 2008-09 Diesel version, just yesterday I had checked one LT of May 2008, The Car was good, not accidental, although the rear bumper was repainted and the right side morror indicator was slightly damaged and a few sq. inches of dry denting job done. Got it checked from a reliable mechanic. The dealer on telephonic conversations asked for 5 lacs, after my checkups jumped to 5.25, now it is a 07 manufactured car registered in may 2008, I told him 4 Lacs as last price and walked out. How much it is really worth? help
I aint no expert, but it seems WAY too much.
especially for 07, and even if small, accidental.
have you checked on carwale?
and whats the mileage?
Old 24th October 2011, 11:48   #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
I aint no expert, but it seems WAY too much.
especially for 07, and even if small, accidental.
have you checked on carwale?
and whats the mileage?
Checked at carwale, it is 4.5 lacs for a dealer car, if the condition is excellent with mileage of 65k (on ODO, although I & my mechanic are 200% sure that it is tempered by at leat 30K). I have got another quote from a Chevrolet certified outlet for 5.5 L for a 75K (genuine) top end LT. What say?
Old 24th October 2011, 11:55   #3701
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekhar_gogoi View Post
6.5L - Keep some reserve cash (1.5L) towards maintenance and any thing major that could go wrong in the next 2 years. - mentioning a low price as this will be a fuel guzzler (like the accord V6 of the same vintage that too goes for less, but the skoda is likely to also require more expensive maintenance.

Last edited by ACM : 24th October 2011 at 11:57.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:14   #3702
BHPian

Quote:
You should get it around 7.25 - 7.50 lacs. Do get the engine condition checked from Skoda A.S.S. or some good mechanic. Skoda charges Rs. 1250 for complete check up of car.
Old 24th October 2011, 12:57   #3703
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psathya View Post
Hi shekhar

A friend of mine in chennai was negotiating for a similar one, had a few minor scratches. The rate was around 8.5. He settled on an accord, I think as he heard that there are some gearbox issues with superb old versions.
Drove the superb 2.8 V6, accord 3.0l V6 and the 3.5l V6. Found the superb autobox to be the best of the 3! Also the 7 speed DSG gearbox is the more problematic one. Also 8.5 is a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
6.5L - Keep some reserve cash (1.5L) towards maintenance and any thing major that could go wrong in the next 2 years. - mentioning a low price as this will be a fuel guzzler (like the accord V6 of the same vintage that too goes for less, but the skoda is likely to also require more expensive maintenance.
Well even 6.5 is a bit too much! Am getting 1 in much less. And its coming with a awesome music system. 2 Kenwood 1100W sub, 2 Xplod amps and unbelievable 10 pioneer speakers! And I already have a diesel so a gas guzzler is no problem. Anyways there are plans to modify it more!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky_1605 View Post
You should get it around 7.25 - 7.50 lacs. Do get the engine condition checked from Skoda A.S.S. or some good mechanic. Skoda charges Rs. 1250 for complete check up of car.
After what you guys are quoting, what I am getting sounds a steal! And I trust my knowledge more than the skoda service guys. It comes from my 3 years experience from owning my Octy!
Old 24th October 2011, 13:02   #3704
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiteshAgnihotri View Post
Checked at carwale, it is 4.5 lacs for a dealer car, if the condition is excellent with mileage of 65k (on ODO, although I & my mechanic are 200% sure that it is tempered by at leat 30K). I have got another quote from a Chevrolet certified outlet for 5.5 L for a 75K (genuine) top end LT. What say?
65k plus another 30k .
close to a lac.
you want to go in for such a huge mileage car?
plus, 1 lac point would involve a big service.
but you wouldnt know whether to get it done or not, since youll never know how much it has been tampered with , the odo.
If you do, well and good, if not you may have bits and pieces failing, looking for lifts home.
May want to explore more options, no?
Old 24th October 2011, 13:10   #3705
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Drove the superb 2.8 V6, accord 3.0l V6 and the 3.5l V6. Found the superb autobox to be the best of the 3! Also the 7 speed DSG gearbox is the more problematic one. Also 8.5 is a lot!

Well even 6.5 is a bit too much! Am getting 1 in much less. And its coming with a awesome music system. 2 Kenwood 1100W sub, 2 Xplod amps and unbelievable 10 pioneer speakers! And I already have a diesel so a gas guzzler is no problem. Anyways there are plans to modify it more!

After what you guys are quoting, what I am getting sounds a steal! And I trust my knowledge more than the skoda service guys. It comes from my 3 years experience from owning my Octy!
Yep hesidated while mentioning 6.5 but yes 5.5 - 6 would be the right price anything lower is questionable. The thing is one does not wish to mention too low a price as finally it is all subject to the condition of the car. The Skoda built in sound system is quite nice by itself for most purposes. If the plan is to modify it significantly then it is obviously best to get it at the lowest price point like planned by you.

The megatronic unit in the DSG itself is 1.5L with the authorized guys and the turbo + intercooler another 1.3L (though it costs only 70K in the grey market)

The new 7 speed DSG is supposed to be better (read reliable) than the original 6 speed. But there are two varients in the 6 speed DSG as well - one of which is more problematic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks