Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2014, 23:55   #9766
BHPian

Hello all, I was looking for a car and a friend of my uncle is selling his may 2013 registered Verna 1.6 SX for 8 lac. The car has done 27k kms and is in pretty good state. The price is 8 lac as he was offered the same from one of the car dealers. Any ideas?
Old 18th September 2014, 02:06   #9767
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Thanks for the response mate. The car looks well maintained. Tyres reached end of their life already. definitely need a new set of shoes.
Full service history is available with the owner and seems legit.

Seal the deal for 2.4 lakhs and buy a new set of shoes for the car. Thoroughly check the car before you seal the deal. All the best.
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2014, 08:57   #9768
Senior - BHPian

Guys
I'm planning to sell my Vista. Details as under. If I get a reasonable resale value will upgrade to the Zest. Else plan to keep it longer

Model : 2009 december Aqua Qjet
Kms : 41500kms
Colour : Aquamarine
Overall condition : good
Owners: I'm the 2nd owner. Previous was a relative of mine. I bought it from him at around 23500kms
Tyres have another 15k life
Battery changed last month
I'm expecting 3.1-3.15kms. Arrived at this figure based on various listings in Sulekha for Vista and other models like Swift, Ritz, Figo. Have pegged this at a substantial discount to similar vintage Swift,reasonable discount to Ritz and Figo and moderate discount to other Vistas
Old 18th September 2014, 21:51   #9769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I'm expecting 3.1-3.15kms. Arrived at this figure based on various listings in Sulekha for Vista and other models like Swift, Ritz, Figo. Have pegged this at a substantial discount to similar vintage Swift,reasonable discount to Ritz and Figo and moderate discount to other Vistas
Given the resale value of the Vista as compared to Swift, Ritz and Figo, I think 3.1 to 3.15 may not work out for a good deal. You may expect anything between 2.5 to 2.8.

Did you check with any of the dealers apart from the websites?
JoseVijay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2014, 15:52   #9770
BHPian

Friends,
Quick help needed. I'm in lookout for a user car in 2L price range and came across a Tata Vista in classifieds today. Below are the details of the car. Please let me know whether it is advisible to buy a 4 year old Vista TDI and will there be any maintanance related issues in near future. Also, help me arrive at a fair price to seal the deal.

Details of the car:

Car : TATA Indica Vista TDI
Year : 2010
Kms done : 32000 kms
Color : Red
Single owner
Price quoted : Rs.2,60,000 (Negotiable)
Car looks to be well maintained from the photos. Real condition yet to be checked.
Old 21st September 2014, 20:45   #9771
BHPian

Been exploring a few used examples of Volvo XC90 and Montero. Given that there are hardly any good examples in Bangalore, plan to buy one from Delhi and get it transferred.
Came across couple of XC 90 D5 , 2010 model asking 19 Lakhs and 2012 Montero AWD( 200 bhp) asking around 25 Lakhs. All of these have been driven between 60-80 K KMS. Any pointers on Delkhi /NCR used prices for XC 90 and Montero..
Old 22nd September 2014, 07:57   #9772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kablu View Post
Friends,
Quick help needed. I'm in lookout for a user car in 2L price range and came across a Tata Vista in classifieds today. Below are the details of the car. Please let me know whether it is advisible to buy a 4 year old Vista TDI and will there be any maintanance related issues in near future. Also, help me arrive at a fair price to seal the deal.

Details of the car:

Car : TATA Indica Vista TDI
Year : 2010
Kms done : 32000 kms
Color : Red
Single owner
Price quoted : Rs.2,60,000 (Negotiable)
Car looks to be well maintained from the photos. Real condition yet to be checked.
I feel that you should raise your budget a little if you are hunting for a well maintained diesel hatchback. With your current budget you should stick to petrol cars only.
And if you strictly require a diesel car you can look up chevy Beat diesel in the market, you will probably get a more recent car, but still you will have to raise your budget.
I hope you are aware of the fact that tampering with the odometer is very common especially in diesel cars which have very high odo readings, so make sure you verify that the car you buy has a genuine odometer reading.
All the best
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:47   #9773
BHPian

Guys,

I'm being offered a used Maruti SX4 ZXi (Dec 2007, done 57,000 km). The asking price is 2.7 but negotiable. I think he'll agree on 2.5.

What should I look for in a TD? Any issues specific to ageing SX4s?

The car has new tyres (done 5k km) but I figure I'll most likely have to spend some money on a few or all of these things -- battery, clutch, suspension, shockers -- sooner or later. Might even install a CNG kit.

Is 2.5 a fair price or should I bargain further?

Please advice

Last edited by naru : 22nd September 2014 at 14:48.
Old 22nd September 2014, 15:33   #9774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.mitsuvolk View Post
I feel that you should raise your budget a little if you are hunting for a well maintained diesel hatchback. With your current budget you should stick to petrol cars only.
And if you strictly require a diesel car you can look up chevy Beat diesel in the market, you will probably get a more recent car, but still you will have to raise your budget.
I hope you are aware of the fact that tampering with the odometer is very common especially in diesel cars which have very high odo readings, so make sure you verify that the car you buy has a genuine odometer reading.
All the best
Thanks Mr.mitsuvolk for the response. Actually, I'm hunting for a well maintained petrol hatch in my budget of 2L. The car in question here looked to be well maintained and suited my budget. That's why I though of giving it a shot. Otherwise, a petrol hatch would be my choice.
Old 22nd September 2014, 17:10   #9775
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruv45in View Post
Hello all, I was looking for a car and a friend of my uncle is selling his may 2013 registered Verna 1.6 SX for 8 lac. The car has done 27k kms and is in pretty good state. The price is 8 lac as he was offered the same from one of the car dealers. Any ideas?
Any recommendation on this guys?
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:12   #9776
BHPian

This is going to be a long post.

I bought a used Swift as my first car- basically to learn driving without pinching the pocket too much. Spent about 2.2L for a 2006 Swift VXi with a 1.3 engine. While the car drives good, I have still not been able to come to terms with the manual gearbox. I am always apprehensive in start-stop traffic and inclines- especially inclines. I bought the car when it was showing about 74K on its odo and today it's at ~85K.
Given this and the constant minor niggles, I am thinking of selling the Swift and buying a used sedan with an autobox. Sedan primarily because the family has increased.

So, I have three primary questions related to the use of the new (used) car.

First, the current car is used by my dad to travel to and fro from office accumulating about 68kms per day. That's 408 kms in six days. The car is filled with 33.44 ltrs of petrol every seventh day. The mileage works out to be ~12.36kmpl.
If I buy an autobox, will this figure be affected radically? I am looking to buy a 2009-2011 Honda City Automatic which has a torque based autobox and not a CVT.

Second, The SWift can easily handle rough terrain (read potholes, misaligned pavement blocks et al) without breaking a sweat. Will the Honda City be a match for the Swift in such conditions? Or will it require regular garage visits?

Third, the auto box. I haven't yet heard a Honda City auto box go kaput a la Skoda, but I have an affinity of being unlucky. God forbid, but if the autobox does blow, what kind of maintenance costs am I looking at?

Now, about the cars. Regarding the used cars I'm checking, below is a list that I think I can look at.
  • Honda City S AT 2009 42K for 5.45L
  • Honda City V AT 2009 45K for 5.75L (Why the 30K premium for a V AT?)
  • Honda City V AT 2010 55k for 5.77L
  • Honda City V AT 2010 42K for 6.30L (This guys price sounds way inflated)
Talking to my friends, I understand that the dealers usually quote a price but if you bargain hard on valid points, then the price can come down substantially. I haven't done that before so I don't know how much of it is true. My max budget is 5 to 5.25L- nothing more.

Buying a used Honda City that has run an average of 45K minimum, is it worth it? How much life can I expect out of such a car, especially considering that the autobox might be a potential risk?

I'd really appreciate if fellow members can take some time out to read my post and offer their advice/suggestions/insight. Also, if you know or have experience with dealing with reputed, trusted used car dealers, a reference would help. Thanks.
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:08   #9777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post
This is going to be a long post.

I bought a used Swift as my first car- basically to learn driving without pinching the pocket too much. Spent about 2.2L for a 2006 Swift VXi with a 1.3 engine. While the car drives good, I have still not been able to come to terms with the manual gearbox. I am always apprehensive in start-stop traffic and inclines- especially inclines. I bought the car when it was showing about 74K on its odo and today it's at ~85K.
Given this and the constant minor niggles, I am thinking of selling the Swift and buying a used sedan with an autobox. Sedan primarily because the family has increased.
I personally feel that you should rethink about going for an automatic. Are your difficulties really worth the premium you will be paying for an automatic car + lower FE and probably lower fun in driving ( I feel manual is a better option). This is just an opinion. If you frequently encounter heavy traffic then automatic Is the way to go.

Quote:
Second, The SWift can easily handle rough terrain (read potholes, misaligned pavement blocks et al) without breaking a sweat. Will the Honda City be a match for the Swift in such conditions? Or will it require regular garage visits?
The Honda City is a very comfortable car and you will never complain about bad roads, but contrarily the low ground clearance of a City may worry you.
With full load It is very likely that the city may scrape its bottom frequently at even medium sized breakers, although that won't cause any serious damage until the speeds are very low (read : crawling speeds).
For the garage visits you will have to thoroughly check the service history and the present condition of the suspension and other parts.

Quote:
Third, the auto box. I haven't yet heard a Honda City auto box go kaput a la Skoda, but I have an affinity of being unlucky. God forbid, but if the autobox does blow, what kind of maintenance costs am I looking at?
A thorough checkup at the HASS will help you in ensuring that the gearbox is in perfect condition or not.
Other city AT owners will be able to tell you more about it.

Quote:
Buying a used Honda City that has run an average of 45K minimum, is it worth it? How much life can I expect out of such a car, especially considering that the autobox might be a potential risk?
You just can't go wrong with a Honda, they are very reliable, and also hold their value well.
Mr.mitsuvolk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 13:08   #9778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
Been exploring a few used examples of Volvo XC90 and Montero. Given that there are hardly any good examples in Bangalore, plan to buy one from Delhi and get it transferred.
Came across couple of XC 90 D5 , 2010 model asking 19 Lakhs and 2012 Montero AWD( 200 bhp) asking around 25 Lakhs. All of these have been driven between 60-80 K KMS. Any pointers on Delkhi /NCR used prices for XC 90 and Montero..
I hope you have considered the cost of ownership transfer and also the higher road tax here in Karnataka that you have to pay before you decide on getting the car from Delhi.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 14:24   #9779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4nd3r50n View Post

I'd really appreciate if fellow members can take some time out to read my post and offer their advice/suggestions/insight. Also, if you know or have experience with dealing with reputed, trusted used car dealers, a reference would help. Thanks.
My wife drives a late 2012 Honda City V A/T . Its done about 53k Kms in less than 2 years , so from that experience i can tell you the gearbox has been completely trouble free . The car still drives the way it did when it was bought.

It is a very spacious car and the ride is also not that bad . The handling on the other hand is not the best .

I do have a couple of grouses with that car though and i think you also might have the same with it if you went ahead . The mileage we get in city use is between 8-10 KMPL and on the highway between 12-14 KMPL. It is very sensitive to the way you drive and in a city like Mumbai i am assuming the traffic is going to be chaotic.

Honda has the reputation of bullet proof reliability and we haven't faced anything untoward with the car . The scheduled maintenance costs around 10k .

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th September 2014 at 09:13. Reason: Trimmed quoted post for benefit of mobile users.
zombiedriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2014, 23:12   #9780
BHPian

Car: I10 Asta (Petrol)
Model: 2008

How much worth is the above car? The owner is quoting 2.45 lakhs for the same. Need some urgent advice. Is it worth the quoted price?

Most Viewed