Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2015, 15:49   #10261

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hi Guys,

Recently I checked out a Tata Aria (pleasure 4X2) on resale for 8.5 lacs. The car has run for 15K kms and is maintained decently. I checked the ownership reviews in TeamBHP and am a bit skeptical for the reliability part.
March/April 2014 Tata introduced a few changes to Aria line and must have been upgrades. But am not sure how is the reliability and if this is a good deal in terms of teh pricetag. I found the following two threads that made me wary -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-accident.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ownership.html

Any inputs with this regard is appreciated.
Old 15th March 2015, 20:46   #10262
BHPian

A few hours back I checked out a '99 Lancer GLXi (Petrol). Has 97,5xx on the odo.

Good:
Engine sounds very good. Very very rev-friendly.
No rust. Body is good.
Everything (power windows, locking, lights, AC) works fine.

Bad:
1) No service records, but owner claims to have serviced the car every 5000km at a nearby Maruti A.S.S.
2) Tires have tread that may last only for 3-4k km.
3) Car needs serious detailing. It was certainly not a 'daily-runner'.
4) Owner sounded like a 'fake' owner with the car still in the previous owner's name with a sign on the sale letter.

Owner is asking for 1.15 L(negotiable) in Bangalore. Considering its a 16 years old, its in a good shape.

My questions are:

1) Is Rs.90,000 good?
2) The tax is valid till 2019. Wasn't it supposed to expire in 2014?
3) Is there a website for KA RTO, like the http://keralamvd.gov.in for KL vehicles where we can check out the registration details of any registered vehicle using its license plate?
4) How easy/hard is it alter a digital odometer reading?
5) There is some oil around the oil cap, like its spilled overtime. Is it okay?

-TIA

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 15th March 2015 at 21:10.
Old 15th March 2015, 21:28   #10263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
A few hours back I checked out a '99 Lancer GLXi (Petrol). Has 97,5xx on the odo.

Good:
Engine sounds very good. Very very rev-friendly.
No rust. Body is good.
Everything (power windows, locking, lights, AC) works fine.

Bad:
1) No service records, but owner claims to have serviced the car every 5000km at a nearby MASS.
2) Tires have tread that may last only for 3-4k km.
3) Car needs serious detailing. Wasn't certainly a 'daily-runner'.
4) Owner sounded like a 'fake' owner with the car still in the previous owner's name with a sign on the sale letter.

Owner is asking for 1.15 L(negotiable) in Bangalore. Considering its a 16 years old, its in a good shape.

My questions are:

1) Is Rs.90,000 good?
3) Is there a website for KA RTO, like the http://keralamvd.gov.in for KL vehicles where we can check out the registration details of any registered vehicle using its license plate?
4) How easy/hard is it alter a digital odometer?
5) There is some oil around the oil cap, like its spilled overtime. Is it okay?

-TIA
Dear Friend,

Hello. Please walk away from any lancers beyond 10 yrs old. The car already has nerly 1lac on the odo. you will be spending another 20k for the tyres. may be another 20k for the clutch and pressure plate and bearing. another 10k for the brake pads, and may be around 20k for the brakes if the master cylinder needs replace or repair ( They usually need repair or replacement around after 10-15 yrs of running. ) Milage plays a role, but years too take its toll on the brake lining and seals, due to its highly corrosive nature). They can burst open if driving over 100km/ hr, and if suddenly brakes slammed hard. ) My colleague in jaipur was a lancer fan, and had bought a 2000 model around 2007 for around 2.5 lacs. He was happy and still owns it. But it is usually driven 1000km / yr, as he lives in US, and the lancer is used once every 12 months. ).

If you really are sold over that lancer, then do the following, to acheive a total peace of mind, and what numbers you are really going to spend, to get your lancer of your dreams.

1. Take it an A/C mistri, get a complete check up done, and ask for the total overhaul bill.

2. Take it to the mechanic or better still, the authorised mits. serv stn. and ask him you want a 1 lac service and repair done. including the clutch, engine compression, suspension and its bush kit, engine mount check up, brakes, including master cylinder and lining.
3. Ask the service stn's electrician, to check all the harnesses. and the battery. How many cells are still good and active, and when does it need replacement.

Lastly, ask them to hand over the price list of parts and labour. multiply the same by 0.66 you will get a tentative local market rate.

If you still, want that lady, hats off to you, you really have fallen for her. In my opinion, 50-55k is ok. without guarantee, and another 20-25 if the seller guarantees and signs off the list provided by the authorised serv. stn. in positive sense. Hope i have been clear.

I have always been a fan of lancer and gallant, but could not afford then. Now, i dont want it because of the above. HM has stopped production of the cedia, this month ( iread in the news paper). Moreover being a delhite, kashmere gate gave me the backing, to source all the parts, still, i have seen parts been a major part for the loyal lancer and cedia owners, who out of frustation had parted with their lancers and cedias.

All the best to you, happy hunting.

Regards,

dr. sen
dr. sen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 21:54   #10264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
Dear Friend,

Hello. Please walk away from any lancers beyond 10 yrs old.
All the best to you, happy hunting.

Regards,

dr. sen
Thanks Dr.Sen for taking the time out to reply and for the suggestions.

I have decided to walk away from THIS car, but I am still after a Lancer. Mainly because I feel that is the BEST car I can get in my limited budget of Rs.1.25 L. I won't feel happy in an M800/Alto (which is the best buy, thinking logically). My other option is a Type 2 City 1.5/1.3 which is over-priced in Bangalore used-car market.

I don't want a Hyundai because of how it ages.
I don't want an Ford Ikon for its expensive spares.
I don't want a Palio 1.6 because of the fuel consumption.

That leaves me with the Honda City and Lancer petrol. I do believe that a car older than 10 years can hold itself well if its well-built. Our '99 Uno and 96 W124 is holding themselves pretty good with not even a single rattle.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 23:36   #10265
BHPian

Quote:
======
That leaves me with the Honda City and Lancer petrol. I do believe that a car older than 10 years can hold itself well if its well-built. Our '99 Uno and 96 W124 is holding themselves pretty good with not even a single rattle.
How about a '05 or '06 Baleno? A decent run model could be bought for 1.2 lakhs. Baleno is a good handler and maruti parts are easy to get hold of. Look a vxi model.
Old 16th March 2015, 00:37   #10266
Distinguished - BHPian

Off-Topic:
Quote:
...but I am still after a Lancer....
Curious - What's the power output of the petrol Lancer - I belive it's a 1.8L? What's the FE?
Old 16th March 2015, 02:13   #10267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Off-Topic:

Curious - What's the power output of the petrol Lancer - I belive it's a 1.8L? What's the FE?
Lancer was commonly offered in 1.5L petrol, a not so common 1.8L automatic invec and the 2.0L diesel
thepilot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 09:46   #10268
BHPian

Quote:

I have decided to walk away from THIS car, but I am still after a Lancer. Mainly because I feel that is the BEST car I can get in my limited budget of Rs.1.25 L. I won't feel happy in an M800/Alto (which is the best buy, thinking logically). My other option is a Type 2 City 1.5/1.3 which is over-priced in Bangalore used-car market.

I don't want a Hyundai because of how it ages.
I don't want an Ford Ikon for its expensive spares.
I don't want a Palio 1.6 because of the fuel consumption.

Hello.

What you said about lancer, fiat, merc are true. mits are of greater value and age gracefully, hence are in premium, just like a nissan and toyota. Hondas are delicate and fine vehicles. They require care and love.

brother, why not stretch your budget by 25k, and go for a toyota corrola. Its bulletproof and will get you to your destination, day in day out.

Ever wondered, why these ISIS, AL QUIDA, LTTE, TALIBANS AND EARLIER THE MUJAHIDEENS, all drove the Toyotas. Its like, fill it, shut it and forget it.

If I were you, I would purchase a corrola, as i would get even a 2001-2002 with 50 -1000k on odo, for 1.25 to 1.5 lacs. Try Delhi. They are abundant, there.

Regards

dr. sen
dr. sen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2015, 12:47   #10269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr. sen View Post
If I were you, I would purchase a corrola, as i would get even a 2001-2002 with 50 -1000k on odo, for 1.25 to 1.5 lacs. Try Delhi. They are abundant, there.
Hi doc, you are right about reliability of a Corolla, but in Bangalore even a run down yellow board Corolla sells for a minimum of 2L. BTW Corolla was launched in India in 2003, anything earlier is an import and parts are a big problem. IMHO any car which is 10 years plus will require some major attention and change of several aged parts. My 2003 Corolla has now done 1.7L and in the last service it was rejuvenated almost to the extent of a new car, but the parts change started at 1.5L kms and in two years I have spent 80K including tyres which i have lovingly spent as i know it is not money spent but invested.

So if the budget is really tight buy a Lancer but be prepared to spend another 50K to make it lovable and fresh, without which you will never enjoy the car and if Corolla is what you want then you will not get anything decent below 3L. But you can never go wrong with a Corolla. Even at these prices 2.5-3L it is excellent VFM.

Lancer at the moment is really good VFM, it is better than Baleno and City in built quality, spare cost may be a little high as compared to the two. In your budget it makes a lot of sense. Happy hunting.
Old 16th March 2015, 17:55   #10270
BHPian

Hello, in my ongoing search for a decent used sedan, I have come across a Chevy Optra magnum 2007 diesel model. The owner is second and it has 76k on the odo. The current owner is quoting 2.2lakh.
I think this is among the first batch of optra diesel to be introduced. What are the common niggles? I think it may be due for a suspension overhaul and need to check the condition too. Is it a good buy? Location is baroda, Gujarat
Old 17th March 2015, 12:25   #10271
BHPian

Can someone please help me with the ongoing market rates for a 2013 Renault Fluence E4D? The car is in excellent condition and has done 31000 kms till date. I have arrived at the Fluence after a lot of deliberation.
Old 17th March 2015, 14:22   #10272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
Can someone please help me with the ongoing market rates for a 2013 Renault Fluence E4D? The car is in excellent condition and has done 31000 kms till date. I have arrived at the Fluence after a lot of deliberation.
Fluence has not been a market success and you will get a good Fluence for approx. 7-8 lacs for a 2 year vintage.
I am quoting for a Mumbai market.

Cochin rates may differ a bit.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2015, 15:00   #10273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Fluence has not been a market success and you will get a good Fluence for approx. 7-8 lacs for a 2 year vintage.
I am quoting for a Mumbai market.

Cochin rates may differ a bit.
Thank you. This is ideally what I'd call a super depreciation disaster! The OTR was around 18 Lacs when the car was bought. After multiple rounds of negotiation, the seller has quoted 8 Lacs. I intend to keep the car for 5 years and is assuming this is not a bad deal.
Old 17th March 2015, 16:05   #10274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSM_TorqueZoner View Post
Thank you. This is ideally what I'd call a super depreciation disaster! The OTR was around 18 Lacs when the car was bought. After multiple rounds of negotiation, the seller has quoted 8 Lacs. I intend to keep the car for 5 years and is assuming this is not a bad deal.
Dear RSM

Cars especially in the D segment are depreciation disasters.
Consider cars from even Honda that were good buys at one time like the Accord selling for as low as 5 lacs for a 4-5 year vintage. Agreed that the Accord is now a discontinued model but then Honda name has a market goodwill.

Capable D segment market duds selling at over 50% of the OTR price:

Sonata/Accord/Passat/even Camrys and Superb sell at 50% offs.
Fluence is basically from a lesser known brand and hence the depreciation will be even harder.

Only car that sort of holds on to its value to some extent is the Altis though it cannot be in the same D segment bracket as the above mentioned ones.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 09:15   #10275
BHPian

Quote:
My questions are:

4) How easy/hard is it alter a digital odometer reading?

-TIA
To answer these questions
- After 15 years, the registration can be renewed for 5 years at a time, by getting the road worthiness test done.
- All Digital odometers can be easily tampered with. Local mechanics charge around Rs 600

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks