Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2015, 21:01   #10486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Pls dont go by only TBHP or other sites for the pricing. TBHP uses India Blue Book, which seems to value cars lesser than some other sites. A better way would have been to speak to dealers for valuation of similar cars (like for exhange value).

Krishna, a lemon is a faulty car. Badly faulty. If this car is a lemon, then you should not even be looking at it.

But if you are refering to the price, then I think you have already committed for 4.8L. I dont think you can now go back and reduce the offer. So you have to decide if you want to go ahead at this price or if you want to back out
I think you are right. I checked mahindra finance which is powered by india blue book i guess and it shows a similar range. Even going by this value, the car is 4 years old in age, but not aged 48k kms, which to me is a good thing since it also has new tyres @31k kms.

You are spot on with the deal thing again. I cannot go back and under quote now, I wil only have to back out, but i'm not seeing any good meaningfully used and aged diesels in the market. I dont want to go by dealers because of high chances of getting cheated. I will take this car to a ford center and get a full service history checked. Any points to look for when I do this? One way to identify in bills is change of clutch plates, timing belt, brake pads etc i guess. Anything else to look?

I might have over quoted, but like I said its useful to me if I get a car within next weekend, so I can shift peaceful and drive down to my native as well to get my doggy which is not easy until i get a car..so may be this prompted a higher valuation in my brain ! If its a hasty decision then i might as well back out and that's why i'm here to check
Old 21st May 2015, 03:19   #10487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I think you are right. I checked mahindra finance which is powered by india blue book i guess and it shows a similar range.
My suggestion would be to forget this car. The old Fiesta is a fantastic machine with its best in class handelling and excellent ride. After a Baleno (even I had one for 7 years), the Fiesta won't disappoint too as an overall package. In that lrice range buddy, perhaps you can get a Ritz or an Etios both of which are too dull to drive being an ex-Baleno owner.
Contact dealers as an old Fiesta owner wishing to sell your car and see how much they are offering. They would offer 5-10% lower than what you can lay while buying a similar car.
Go to olx, search for it, go to 2nd or 3rd page where you would see older ads. Those advertisers posted their ads long back but couldn't seal a deal yet.
This means that they are already desperate and would be willing to negotiate more. Tell them that you have got lower quotes from dealers and negotiate from there.
This is actually how you do it.
Also, checkout our how to buy a used car thread for information on how to inspect the car.
Avoid cars that are with dealers. Go to buyer's home to see the car in person. Avoid 2nd owner cars too.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 08:26   #10488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Avoid cars that are with dealers. Go to buyer's home to see the car in person.
Many dealets don't disclose their identity and wish to sell cars as owners because of reservations of people to deal with them. To identify ads by dealers vis a vis by owners you may do the following:
1. Check for other ads posted by the same person. In all possibilities a owner wouldn't be selling more than one vehicle at any given point of time. At most he might be repetitive in his post which would also give you a fair idea since when is he trying to sell it.
2. By my experience I have noticed that dealers usually have fancy mobile numbers which are very easy to memorise. Atleast this is the trend in Delhi that they have fascination towards such mobile numbers. So you can also identify them with this though it might not be correct in 100% of cases.
FidoDido is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 09:10   #10489
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidoDido View Post
2. By my experience I have noticed that dealers usually have fancy mobile numbers which are very easy to memorise. Atleast this is the trend in Delhi that they have fascination towards such mobile numbers. So you can also identify them with this though it might not be correct in 100% of cases.
I disagree.

It may be true that Delhi people have fascination towards fancy mobile numbers but how can you say only used car dealers have such fascination?

Even an individual can have fancy mobile numbers (I am an example ).

The perfect solution to find a car is dealer's or not is - select the mobile number from the ad and Google it. If you will find more ads of other cars on different websites with same number, it is dealer's ad. If you don't get more ads, chances are it is an individual's car. Then you can put this number in Facebook search box and you may find good details about the person. You can also search True caller to know his real name.You can also see his whatsapp profile pic to have more idea about him.
Old 21st May 2015, 10:28   #10490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I disagree.

Even an individual can have fancy mobile numbers
Dear Mukesh

I already wrote the better option as point number 1.
When you search for more ads by the same user/number and you find other cats also advertised by the same user you can easily understand that the seller is actually a dealer.

Point no 2 is out of my personal experience that can be verified by anyone by hitting olx or quikr. You will find that people who are selling many cars in delhi (which implies that they are actually dealers) would be having fancy mobile numbers.
FidoDido is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2015, 11:42   #10491
BHPian

Quote:
I disagree.
It may be true that Delhi people have fascination towards fancy mobile numbers but how can you say only used car dealers have such fascination?
Quote:
Dear Mukesh
I already wrote the better option as point number 1.
When you search for more ads by the same user/number and you find other cats also advertised by the same user you can easily understand that the seller is actually a dealer.
Or just ask them if they are owner of the car and go to owner's house to see the car in person.

Last edited by ampere : 21st May 2015 at 21:30. Reason: Reduced the full quote in the post.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:06   #10492
BHPian

Quote:
Or just ask them if they are owner of the car and go to owner's house to see the car in person.
Ashish ji

The car dealers are also aware that everyone wishes to deal with the owners and not with them. So, they cook up stories too. I went with a friend some time back to buy a skoda Laura. The guy was a dealer but he claimed that the car is owned by his uncle who has authorised him to sell the car. I found his number at olx and there were many cars posted under his number. So, either you are ready to deal with a dealer or you need to be extra cautious to spot them.
Old 21st May 2015, 18:28   #10493
BHPian

There is another trick played by them. I almost fell for it before I bought Ritz in Feb 2012. A 2011 Wagon R VXI was offered for 2.9 lakhs(At that time ex-showroom was something like 3.8 lakh or so ). I contacted the person who asked me to come to a flat complex. I was there , looked at the car which was reasonably ok but driven for 20,000 km in one year! Then he told me that it is actually Dec 2010 car, which he has slightly fudged to make it 2011 car! He showed me the Insurance paper which showed a different name than the person I was talking to! With so many doubts, I dropped it like a hot brick . When I enquired around, was told that this is one of the tricks dealers do to park it in some flat so that it is made to look like the owner is a resident of the flat and is an individual seller!
Old 21st May 2015, 22:39   #10494
BHPian

Quote:
My suggestion would be to forget this car. The old Fiesta is a fantastic machine with its best in class handelling and excellent ride. After a Baleno (even I had one for 7 years), the Fiesta won't disappoint too as an overall package. In that lrice range buddy, perhaps you can get a Ritz or an Etios both of which are too dull to drive being an ex-Baleno owner.
Contact dealers as an old Fiesta owner wishing to sell your car and see how much they are offering. They would offer 5-10% lower than what you can lay while buying a similar car.
Go to olx, search for it, go to 2nd or 3rd page where you would see older ads. Those advertisers posted their ads long back but couldn't seal a deal yet.
This means that they are already desperate and would be willing to negotiate more. Tell them that you have got lower quotes from dealers and negotiate from there.
This is actually how you do it.
Also, checkout our how to buy a used car thread for information on how to inspect the car.
Avoid cars that are with dealers. Go to buyer's home to see the car in person. Avoid 2nd owner cars too.
in fact my Baleno was also pre-owned car, which we bought for 425000/- when it was 2 yrs, 5000 kms old and we sold it when it was 6 yrs and 98000 kms old with LPG for 2,75,000/-

But now that I am looking for diesels only, its kind of hard to get one or not a value proposition from price point. I am not looking at age in years because we will surely put in miles easily on any car in family. Thats why this fiesta classic got me interested. It has just enough room, reliability and good engine that should last our use. This car has less mileage and new tyres, reducing my investment into it, so I got interested. Do you really think i should let it go without looking into the service history and its details ?

Quote:
Many dealets don't disclose their identity and wish to sell cars as owners because of reservations of people to deal with them. To identify ads by dealers vis a vis by owners you may do the following:
1. Check for other ads posted by the same person. In all possibilities a owner wouldn't be selling more than one vehicle at any given point of time. At most he might be repetitive in his post which would also give you a fair idea since when is he trying to sell it.
Quote:
I disagree.

Even an individual can have fancy mobile numbers (I am an example ).

The perfect solution to find a car is dealer's or not is - select the mobile number from the ad and Google it. If you will find more ads of other cars on different websites with same number, it is dealer's ad....
Quote:
Ashish ji

The car dealers are also aware that everyone wishes to deal with the owners and not with them. So, they cook up stories too. I went with a friend some time back to buy a skoda Laura. The guy was a dealer but he claimed that the car is owned by his uncle who has authorised him to sell the car. I found his number at olx and there were many cars posted under his number. So, either you are ready to deal with a dealer or you need to be extra cautious to spot them.
Well, I think I am usually able to identify a car by its drive response and the feeling I get while testing it. Dealer cars seldom pass this feeling and if they do, the dealer will charge exorbitant premium. I do filter ads before getting into details as well.
Old 22nd May 2015, 08:09   #10495
Distinguished - BHPian

@Krishna, check that Fiesta thoroughly & if it ticks all boxes you could go for it. The price is something you will have to absorb ..
Old 22nd May 2015, 09:57   #10496
BHPian

Quote:
So, either you are ready to deal with a dealer or you need to be extra cautious to spot them.
Or, as I said earlier, just go to their home to see the car in person and meet the owner (the guy in the RC) and nobody can sell you a car pretending to be somebody else if you keep your eyes open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
in fact my Baleno was also pre-owned car, which we bought for 425000/- when it was 2 yrs, 5000 kms old and we sold it when it was 6 yrs and 98000 kms old with LPG for 2,75,000/-

Do you really think i should let it go without looking into the service history and its details ?

Well, I think I am usually able to identify a car by its drive response and the feeling I get while testing it. Dealer cars seldom pass this feeling and if they do, the dealer will charge exorbitant premium. I do filter ads before getting into details as well.
Our Baleno was a 2006 LXi in Pearl Silver. We bought used, from the owner's house in 2007 for Rs. 400000 and it was just 10k KM run. The story is very similar to yours. I can challange if there is any other car available today in India which is as good an allrounder with superb highway stability, that precise handling, unmatchrd reliability and the list goes on. After 115000 KM, it is lying in a Maruti Service Center after an accident. Its still running on oiriginal clutch and suspension.
I think being a dealer's car, you should leave this Fiesta and look for an individual's listing. Its a frugal and reliable diesel car, less people would want to sell it, hence not much cars would be there up for a sale, but keep trying and as there are not many takers of a Ford in used car market, you should get the right one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
There is another trick played by them. I almost fell for it before I bought Ritz in Feb 2012. A 2011 Wagon R VXI was offered for 2.9 lakhs(At that time ex-showroom was something like 3.8 lakh or so ). I contacted the person who asked me to come to a flat complex. I was there , looked at the car which was reasonably ok but driven for 20,000 km in one year! Then he told me that it is actually Dec 2010 car, which he has slightly fudged to make it 2011 car! He showed me the Insurance paper which showed a different name than the person I was talking to! With so many doubts, I dropped it like a hot brick . When I enquired around, was told that this is one of the tricks dealers do to park it in some flat so that it is made to look like the owner is a resident of the flat and is an individual seller!
Good to know that you checked all the papers and saved yourself from a possible fraud. Way to go.
I myself had bought 3 used cars and sold 4, I would say that used cars make huge money sense, so go for it and just be cautious.
Old 22nd May 2015, 14:42   #10497
BHPian

Quote:
Or, as I said earlier, just go to their home to see the car in person and meet the owner (the guy in the RC) and nobody can sell you a car pretending to be somebody else if you keep your eyes open.

Our Baleno was a 2006 LXi in Pearl Silver. We bought used, from the owner's house in 2007 for Rs. 400000 and it was just 10k KM run. The story is very similar to yours. I can challange if there is any other car available today in India which is as good an allrounder with superb highway stability, that precise handling, unmatchrd reliability and the list goes on. After 115000 KM, it is lying in a Maruti Service Center after an accident. Its still running on oiriginal clutch and suspension.
I think being a dealer's car, you should leave this Fiesta and look for an individual's listing. Its a frugal and reliable diesel car, less people would want to sell it, hence not much cars would be there up for a sale, but keep trying and as there are not many takers of a Ford in used car market, you should get the right one soon.
Well, our Baleno stories are quite similar I would say !

The fiesta CLXi is not a dealer car. He is an individual, working in software company @Whitefield. He is just quoting a high price because he has maintained it well, used very little and low mileage. Since it was on lease service was free and he didnt have service history with him, he will get it from the leased company and mail it to me this weekend.
I too feel he is commanding higher premium, considering low resale value of fords, but a few dealers i checked with are also quoting around 4.5 but with higher mileage ZXi models.

I have seen a Verito today and I dont even want to talk about the abuse it has been through within 46000kms. I have seen another Tata Manza Elan 2011 model @53590kms, well maintained (again on company lease plan). The owner is works adjacent to my office and is selling because of lease expiry in June. He has put in 4 new tyres in Dec (Pirelli) and services recently in March. He is using it as a daily commute and highway drives and seems to have kept quite well. He is also quoting about 5.5L for a quadrajet Manza Elan.

The Manza is having ABS, Bluetooth, Reverse Cam, Alloy wheels, new tyres, Some stickering to hide minor scratches (this owner told me himself), very clean interiors but tata quality shows on the steering wheel and some color peeloff at small edges. The fiesta has no fancy stereo, no ABS, no reverse cam, no alloys but new tyres, no scratches, not much used, very clean interiors.

Both will be coming for around the same price, but TeamBhp values the Manza at a higher price than the fiesta (may be due to the added features in the elan ?)
The 90 bhp engine of manza felt easy and sounds similar to my punto. The clutch travel was short (owner replaced clutch plates in 45k km service, replaced battery last month)
Old 24th May 2015, 11:45   #10498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post

Guys, please help me finalize a car for my dad. Requirements are a decent sized petrol hatchback suited for 90% town riding, low cost of maintenance, should not have a low seating position and should have ABS and all of these should come around 3.5L. My shortlist includes the Jazz, Punto and the I20.
I have seen a 1.3 Manza Aura(abs) 2010 model. Single owner, alloy wheels, skirting, 62k done, clutch plate changed at 40k. All services done in authorised service centre, 60k service done.
Rear tires need immediate replacement, front tyres 10k old.
Owner quotes 3.25lakh. Is this a right price in Kerala?
Old 24th May 2015, 22:32   #10499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomy View Post
I have seen a 1.3 Manza Aura(abs) 2010 model. Single owner, alloy wheels, skirting, 62k done, clutch plate changed at 40k. All services done in authorised service centre, 60k service done.
Rear tires need immediate replacement, front tyres 10k old.
Owner quotes 3.25lakh. Is this a right price in Kerala?
Sounds good to me. And instead of a petrol hatchback, you get a diesel Sedan!
Only thing is, for the elderly, I think an i20 would be easier to drive and maintain than a Manza, but not a deal breaker at all.
Old 24th May 2015, 23:03   #10500
BHPian

Hi guys...

I have seen a few preowned cars this weekend in hyd and could find only few goods ones.. The most appealing one was a chevvy sail sedan..

This is a 2013 sail ls 1.3 diesel version with abs, 41000km old recently serviced. I'm getting this for 530000. The driveability was enjoyable and looks like it was kept well.. The bumper had some scratches from city traffic, tires have another 5 to 7k of life left and then probably i have to replace the clutch at 50k service as per schedule.

This seemed like a spacious car, owner is selling because he's moving to Australia in June, he had renewed insurance upto 2016, so he didn't have intention to sell until April it seems. This is marginally more than what I pay for fiesta in bangalore I have been mentioning in my earlier posts, but I get abs Bluetooth audio and better driveability. But i have to invest in tires and probably clutch after few thousand kms!!

What do you guys suggest from fiesta in bangalore and sail from hyd... I might have to pay life tax later in blr if i keep the vehicle next year which I'm prepared for anyway

Resale might be bad for both the cars in my list but how about service and spares and other experiences?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks