Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2016, 10:25   #11581
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

So for some cars like a fortuner - selling them after three rather than five years makes much more sense, purely because of a drop in resale value?

Interesting. So really long term ownership seems to be a bit less attractive for some cars compared to others.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 11:35   #11582
Senior - BHPian

I am perplexed with the resale value of Ecosport. It is the only car which is exempted from the jinxed resale value of Fords, while other ford cars are sold for peanuts in the used car market.

I would like to know the various factors that that determine the resale value in case of such an analysis.
Old 22nd September 2016, 12:31   #11583
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
I am perplexed with the resale value of Ecosport. It is the only car which is exempted from the jinxed resale value of Fords, while other ford cars are sold for peanuts in the used car market.
I would like to know the various factors that that determine the resale value in case of such an analysis.
Popularity of the model. Figo has an excellent resale value too - it is just Ford's midrange sedans that are a drug on the market.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 14:09   #11584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
FE may be one major aspect that determines the resale value of cars among the normal driving crowd. Maintenance cost might take the next position IMO.

Performance, power and safety stand behind the above factors.

Cheers.
Aslamjaffer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2016, 12:45   #11585
BHPian

What is the price range to get a Mauti SX4 VXI, 2007 Model run only 40,000 km. Is 2.5 lakh too much to give? External appearance Ok. Service history is available.
Old 26th September 2016, 00:20   #11586

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Well yes I'd say the Jazz certainly does look good. I like it more than the current gen Jazz. Being a Honda, I'm sure it will be reliable. The problem I have is getting hold of a clean car at a good price. Especially since its rare now.
That's right. I own a Pre-owned Jazz, bought 6 months into its life (paid 6L). I don't think I am ever going to sell the car. Its practical, user friendly, classy and extremely reliable.

If you get a good example, jump in without a second thought. Even if you have to pay a little extra. It wont matter over the long term.

It was a market flop (as suggested by another member), only because of the price. It has been stellar in all other respects.
Old 26th September 2016, 10:18   #11587
Senior - BHPian

http://orangebookvalue.com is quoting lesser prices than http://www.indianbluebook.com. Which will be a closer match to reality?

I'm trying to get a realistic price for a 28k km run Nissan Micra XV Premium Diesel.

How much does these used car dealers make profit on a single car? Any ball park percentages?

Last edited by thoma : 26th September 2016 at 10:21.
Old 26th September 2016, 12:20   #11588
Senior - BHPian

Slightly off-topic.

I searched for used cars on carwale,cartrade and cardekho etc.There is a used car valuation tool for each of the websites mentioned above. But, I have found that the dealer ads on the respective websites quoting a whooping 1.5-2lakh above the valued price as per evaluation. In some cases even in Team-bhp classifieds.

At times I wonder do they really want to sell the vehicle or do they only indulge in "Iski topi uske sarr"(fleece the innocent) sort of business. Again reminds me that the used car market is still in a nascent stage despite some of them being in business for more than a decade. Such unrealistic pricing really dampens the spirit of used car buyers, as at times I really feel shy to even negotiate. I wonder if we should negotiate with an attitude of shopping in a street bazaar, even if it hurts the seller in some cases.

If I am not wrong, the car's IDV in the insurance should be the benchmark for negotiating. Anything beyond Rs. 50k(max.) above IDV can be termed as overpriced. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 26th September 2016 at 12:21.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 18:56   #11589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedrolourenco View Post
How much is this Jaguar XF Petrol worth? He's quoting 25 L

Jaguar XF 5 Ltr petrol Portfolio variant. Well maintained single owner car

Vehicle Specs:

Fixed Price: No
Exchange Accepted: No
Make: Jaguar
Model: XF
Variant: XF Petrol V8
Vehicle Type: Sedans
Make Year: 2009
Make Month: December
Fuel type: Petrol
Digital Clock
Digital Odometer
Non-Smoking Owner
Read on some international forums that its quite a lemon.

Gearbox knob refusing to rise up or getting stuck in D or R. (even replacements have failed in some cases)

fuel filler cap getting stuck (very funny issue )

interior lights refusing to turn off or come on witouth warning

and wheels getting damaged.

And if the warranty is off then be prepared to rob a bank.

I'd stay away and get a poster instead coz its quite a looker though
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2016, 20:04   #11590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
Read on some international forums that its quite a lemon.

Gearbox knob refusing to rise up or getting stuck in D or R. (even replacements have failed in some cases)

fuel filler cap getting stuck (very funny issue )

interior lights refusing to turn off or come on witouth warning

and wheels getting damaged.

And if the warranty is off then be prepared to rob a bank.

I'd stay away and get a poster instead coz its quite a looker though
This is off topic.

But the problems you have mentioned are not related to the engine at all. You mean V6 XF has no such issues? or are these with all XF. Or is this problem related to only V8 engine Jags including XJL?
Old 26th September 2016, 20:08   #11591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
So for some cars like a fortuner - selling them after three rather than five years makes much more sense, purely because of a drop in resale value?

Interesting. So really long term ownership seems to be a bit less attractive for some cars compared to others.
I don't think that's true. I think it's more to do with the model change the fortuner had in 2012 along with the price increase. So post 2012 models sold in 3years last year and this year command a higher value then classic fortuners 2009-2011 which were cheaper to buy and had lesser features in today's scenario and are being sold as 5-6 year old cars. These percentages are with respect to today's ex showroom price and not at the time of buying as per my understanding.
ToyotaFan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th September 2016, 09:28   #11592
BHPian

Hey, I am looking for buying a Used Honda Civic or Altis as a daily drive. The Car has to be petrol and year later than 2011. What price should I expect in Mumbai? Overall I have observed Altis to be significantly expensive than civic. Is this true?
Also since ABS and Air-bags is mandatory, I assume all models for both cars come with the same, except Altis in J trim. Please correct my understanding.

Thanks,
Old 27th September 2016, 18:12   #11593
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Here's a difficult one.

I have always had a soft spot for jeeps and the other day a friend of mine sent me a pic of an eye catching red "Thar". Going for around 4 lakhs. I was like What's the catch??

Made some more inquiries and found out that it's actually a 1996 model Mahindra MM540 with a DI3200 engine. The "Thar" body was bought from Mahindra and fitted about 2 years ago. It also has disc brakes up front, power steering, modified suspension (as per Bolero) and air conditioning. Alloy wheels and huge "Cooper" tyres which are run only 5000 Kms.
Interior is also all "Thar" stuff. Green tax has been paid till 2020.
I took the car for a short drive this morning on a really bad road which it just sailed over. A/C was quite effective but again it is a small cabin and it was raining. I found the sound of the diesel engine very loud which the owner said is normal. Being a "petrolhead" I can't say but it seemed awfully loud. I also found the clutch quite hard - compared to my Waggie and SX4. Definitely no good in heavy traffic. Owner says the engine has never been opened but after 20 years who knows. This is probably the 4th. owner.
The price is now at 3.00 lakhs. I am still negotiating.

The plan is to drive it down to Goa (where I spend most of my time) and use it on weekends or the odd evening drive.

Mind you, it would probably be better off in Bombay dealing with the rubbish roads and would certainly keep those pesky rickshaws at a distance.

My questions are :
1. Is it worth the buy and if so, what should I look out for?
2. What is the max to pay for this vehicle. Owner claims he has spent 4.00 lakhs after buying it just for the new body, suspension, a/c etc. Tyres and alloys cost 1.00 lakh.
3. Is there any "Certificate of Fitness" that should be present on a vehicle that is 20 years old or is the "Green Tax" all that is needed?
4. Any other advice would be much appreciated.
5. Which is a good Mahindra garage in the suburbs where one can get the servicing done?

Many Thanks,
SS
Old 27th September 2016, 18:35   #11594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
My questions are :
2. Owner claims he has spent 4.00 lakhs after buying it just for the new body, suspension, a/c etc. Tyres and alloys cost 1.00 lakh.
3. Is there any "Certificate of Fitness" that should be present on a vehicle that is 20 years old or is the "Green Tax" all that is needed?
If he spent 5L on the vehicle + his cost of buying it, why is he selling it now in just 2 years of painfully restoring it?

In any case, I let go a well maintained Innova (top spec) Jan 2005 model, run 48k genuine Kms and with documented T.A.S.S. service records, for it was already 12 years old and one never knows what NGT & drunk monkeys are thinking next.
I could have closed the Innova deal between 4-4.5.

Last edited by vinit.merchant : 27th September 2016 at 18:37.
Old 27th September 2016, 18:47   #11595
BHPian

Hi Vinit,

That's exactly what I asked and his answer is that his little son is scared of the noise of the engine and refuses to sit in the jeep. I can sort of believe that!
He is probably also aware of the NGT lurking in the background.
He has actually got photographs of the restoration work so I do believe that.
The paint that has been used is far superior to Mahindra as it is Audi quality paint that was used.
It's quite a looker.

SS

Most Viewed