Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2017, 09:16   #11791
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
Post demonization I have noticed a very wiered trend, wherein the cars in the used car markets are trading at very high prices. This trend can be noticed even for cars that can be considered as depreciation disasters.

Now suddenly on various websites and upon direct enquiry, some people are quoting as much as 50-60% value for 5-6 year old Fiat cars.
+1. I have experienced the same. I am currently in hunt of a sparingly used diesel hatch for <6L. But, the dealers and their ads on OLX, Quikr, Carwale etc. are priced unreasonably high. IMHO, there is no point in negotiating on the already jacked up prices. It is similar to retail stores jacking up the MRP by 50% and giving a 30% discount on it. It seems the dealers are in no hurry to clear the stock or the demand for the used cars has not subsided irrespective of demonetization.

Unfortunately, with the advent of offering Exchange bonus by the new car dealers, a substantial percentage of genuine sellers are tricked into exchange . Thus, most good/well maintained used cars end up with the dealers.

The only reasonably priced used cars are mostly sold by genuine sellers with reasons of relocation or a financial necessity. However, finding them is like searching for an oasis in the desert.
Old 21st January 2017, 11:18   #11792
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm on the other side. I have been trying to sell my Tucson and have been getting ridiculous quotes from people trying to use the ngt ruling as a bargaining tool

However with the government challenging the ngt ruling and the amount people are willing to quote, I've decided to hold on to the girl for the foreseeable future.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2017, 12:41   #11793
BHPian

I feel really sorry to say this but I have noticed from many years in the used car market that we Indians consider our own money most precious and someone else's money free fund. That is how most Indians are, and not just in the used car market, in everything. So no market benchmark works due to lack of ethical thinking.
zulfi hansi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 01:53   #11794
BHPian

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used Corolla Altis in Bangalore. I'm looking at 3 options:

1. I'm checking out a 2008 1.8 VL AT single owner, done 100k. Is it safe to buy a car which has done 100k and also 9 years old? Price quoted is 6L and car is in good condition. What're the maintenance costs I'm looking at for Altis in general and for a 9 year old VL AT?

2. There's another Altis 2009 done about 65k 1.8G quoted at 5.5L.

3. A 2011 Altis 1.8G at 6.25L, looks not so good outside, but I haven't seen it in person yet, so could be just missing clean up job.

My budget is about 6L overall including any follow up maintenance, fixes I'll have to do after buying. Any ideas?
Old 22nd January 2017, 09:38   #11795
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthikeyan View Post
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a used Corolla Altis in Bangalore. I'm looking at 3 options:

1. I'm checking out a 2008 1.8 VL AT single owner, done 100k. Is it safe to buy a car which has done 100k and also 9 years old? Price quoted is 6L and car is in good condition. What're the maintenance costs I'm looking at for Altis in general and for a 9 year old VL AT?

2. There's another Altis 2009 done about 65k 1.8G quoted at 5.5L.

3. A 2011 Altis 1.8G at 6.25L, looks not so good outside, but I haven't seen it in person yet, so could be just missing clean up job.

My budget is about 6L overall including any follow up maintenance, fixes I'll have to do after buying. Any ideas?

My personal opinion is always that when you pick up a used car, it shouldn't be more than 4 years old and not more than 50k on the ODO. Post 75-90k you have a lot of other issues like suspension replacements etc. And if it's less than 40-50k it may even easy to track service record history thru authorised service centres.
To be honest the corolla is a no nonsense car, but 6-6.5L seems too steep for 7-9 year old cars. I would rather wait and scout for more options else you can always pick up something like a Vento or even a earlier gen honda city with much less on the ODO.
Old 22nd January 2017, 13:21   #11796
BHPian

This rule of not buying more than 4 year old car can be an exception only for Toyota Corolla. Provided it is in great condition even if it has done 80-100 k kms. Also you can bargain hard as the prices will only go down. At the same time don't hesitate in a few thousand for a good car.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 13:30   #11797
BHPian

How much can I expect for a Oct 2015 Nano XT in a fair condition in Bangalore? I have driven it for 15700kms
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:15   #11798
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
This rule of not buying more than 4 year old car can be an exception only for Toyota Corolla. Provided it is in great condition even if it has done 80-100 k kms. Also you can bargain hard as the prices will only go down. At the same time don't hesitate in a few thousand for a good car.
I've never owned a Toyota, but 100k in our road conditions seems a bit too much. I would be vary of buying a used car with that much history. Maybe some toyota owners can chime in.
Old 23rd January 2017, 14:50   #11799
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

I would like to know what could be the best price for a July 2015 Swift Vdi. Following are the details-

Car: Swift Vdi with ABS, no Airbags.
Registration Month: July 2015
Color: Red
Insurance: Valid till August 2017 with IDV:6Lakhs
Mileage : 12,000 kms

Checked and driven the car in person. No apparent rattles or abnormalities felt with the vehicle. Although, I would get it checked by a mechanic once I decide to go ahead with the deal.

Seller's initial quote was 6.7L. I started negotiating from 5.9L. Seller's final quote is 6.20L. Brokerage charges are 2%.

I have checked in all the used car evaluation websites where the prices are varying from 5.7L to 6.20L given the car is in excellent condition. Is it a good deal or can I walk away? Also, would like to know if there would be any additional surprise expenses to be aware of.

Thanks.
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:06   #11800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I've never owned a Toyota, but 100k in our road conditions seems a bit too much. I would be vary of buying a used car with that much history. Maybe some toyota owners can chime in.

Someone I know who was keen on a Corolla/city but was on a tight budget picked up a 2004 Corolla done 190k Kms. The only thing he did after buying the car was a basic oil change+ service and front brake pads were changed. The car was serviced at the Toyota SVC till 165k kms. I drove the car a few days back and it had already touched 194k kms. Infact the engine was smoother than my 2007 69k kms done Corolla. If these cars are serviced regularly nothing can go wrong with their engines. Rest suspension, clutch and tyres need replacement as per the use in any car. Although I would stay away from such high run cars but in case of a Toyota I would still consider upto 150k kms if it's a single owner car or the svc history is available.
These cars can outlive their owners and can handle any amount of abuse.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 17:28   #11801
Senior - BHPian

Bosch is auctioning off some of its owned vehicles on 01/02/2017 though e-auction. Interested can check the Kisan Auctioneers website.
Vehicles include Toyota Etios, Skoda Laura, petrol and diesel models, Hyundai Verna, petrol and diesel models, Xylo, Swift, Innova, Scorpio, Vento, I10 and Corolla Altis.

More information can be had from here

http://www.krauctioneers.in/E-17-010...ugodi-Cars.pdf
Old 23rd January 2017, 18:15   #11802
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
One of closest friends father owns a Toyota Qualis done about 6,40,000 kms(Yes, you read that right!). He gets it serviced religiously at every 5k kms from Toyota service and he tells me that his father still prefers his Qualis over his recently acquired TUV 300 as Mahindra has already broke down on road twice in 2 years of his ownership.

Fun Fact:- His father has spent over 10 lacs on servicing his Qualis till now, and has no plans of selling it whatsoever

Also, I myself have been looking for an used car for my daily commute(was confused between Civic or Altis), and upon talking to a few mechanics, each and everyone of them have recommended me to go for Toyota. All of them had basically the same response "Bhaiya mehengi hogi, par agar accident nai hua hoga pehle to ye Japani gaadiyan kharab nahi hoti"
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 22:34   #11803
BHPian

Hey Guys I have an Old Old Esteem which I want to give away, it is starts and cranks and drives well but it has it s fair bit of niggles. I want to sell it, any idea how much I can expect and what would be the best place to sell it?

TIA
M
Old 23rd January 2017, 23:30   #11804
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
Hey Guys I have an Old Old Esteem which I want to give away, it is starts and cranks and drives well but it has it s fair bit of niggles. I want to sell it, any idea how much I can expect and what would be the best place to sell it?

TIA
M
Honestly, anything around 50-60k, and you should feel lucky. It's better if you give it to a dealer when buying a new car and claim that exchange bonus, win win situation!
Old 29th January 2017, 08:31   #11805
BHPian

I've been looking at selling my Camry. The specs are:
Second Owner/ done just under 92,000 kms and in pretty good condition on the whole. Been getting really low offers..
Found it rather strange for a car that originally costed 20 lakhs plus!

Is that all the value to it?

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th February 2017 at 17:38. Reason: Please use proper punctuation, and not "...???" and "...!!!"

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks