Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2017, 00:15   #12301
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

I'm in the market for a good automatic in the C2 / D1 range. One car which is of interest is the 5th Gen Elantra given that it's very comfortable drive.

I've found two examples -
A. Exhibit A is a 2013 diesel AT SX(O), which has had a low running of just 25k. The seller quoting seeking 12L for this. The car is KA registered. The car is being sold by an individual seller (the first owner).

B. Exhibit B is also a KA registered diesel AT SX (O). This one is 2015 registered and has run 45k so far. This one is on offer for around 13.5L. This car still has a year of warranty left. The car is being sold by the used car division of a Toyota dealership in town.

I need some help on -
1. Are the prices quoted for exhibit A and B reasonable ?

2. Between the two, would it be wiser to pick up the 2015 model even if it came at a 1.5L premium?

3. Given that the 5th Gen Elantra has been phased out nearly a year ago, is there a risk in picking these cars up ?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 28th August 2017, 01:29   #12302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I'm in the market for a good automatic in the C2 / D1 range. One car which is of interest is the 5th Gen Elantra given that it's very comfortable drive.

I've found two examples -
A. Exhibit A is a 2013 diesel AT SX(O), which has had a low running of just 25k. The seller quoting seeking 12L for this. The car is KA registered. The car is being sold by an individual seller (the first owner).

B. Exhibit B is also a KA registered diesel AT SX (O). This one is 2015 registered and has run 45k so far. This one is on offer for around 13.5L. This car still has a year of warranty left. The car is being sold by the used car division of a Toyota dealership in town.
I find the 13.5 lakh price tag for a now discontinued Elantra (not a very successful model) very high. I think you will be better off buying the latest Verna which should be available for only about a lakh more with similar features and a better touch screen HU than the hour glass shaped HU of the Elantra. The car was no doubt a looker and one of the finest iteration of the fluidic design but I find these cars overpriced. The Verna has the same engine and gearbox combo which makes it hard to recommend a used Elantra.

The 2012 Elantra is already 5 year old which in itself does tend to show in terms of the maintainance required to run the compared compared to a brand new Verna. 25k is very low running and you should get the ODO verified at the service centre I find both the cars overpriced by 1-1.5 lakhs and at the current prices you should look elsewhere. Another option as you are ok with pre-owned is a Jetta or Octavia DSG which you should get for similar money but will be much better to drive than either of the Hyundai's. Hope this helps.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 17:26   #12303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
I find the 13.5 lakh price tag for a now discontinued Elantra (not a very successful model) very high. I think you will be better off buying the latest Verna which should be available for only about a lakh more with similar features and a better touch screen HU than the hour glass shaped HU of the Elantra. The car was no doubt a looker and one of the finest iteration of the fluidic design but I find these cars overpriced. The Verna has the same engine and gearbox combo which makes it hard to recommend a used Elantra.

The 2012 Elantra is already 5 year old which in itself does tend to show in terms of the maintainance required to run the compared compared to a brand new Verna. 25k is very low running and you should get the ODO verified at the service centre I find both the cars overpriced by 1-1.5 lakhs and at the current prices you should look elsewhere. Another option as you are ok with pre-owned is a Jetta or Octavia DSG which you should get for similar money but will be much better to drive than either of the Hyundai's. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your thoughts.

I agree that the pricing for a new Verna would be within ~3L of the asking price for these cars. However, I'm not sure about the 2017 Verna because the diesel automatic isn't available in the top spec [ and frankly I can't digest the looks ].

I'll try to negotiate these prices down to the extent possible and then take a call.

Turns out one of cars was earlier under a company car lease scheme and is being disposed off by the company. Is it advisable to pick up such cars?

The dealer is offering a one year dealer warranty. In addition one year of the OEM warranty is still valid which is playing on my mind.

Well a well priced Jetta would be a dream.. But I don't think I have the risk appetite for the temperamental DSG.

Last edited by qaqa : 28th August 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Typo
Old 28th August 2017, 17:34   #12304
Senior - BHPian

That doesn't matter (buying a company car lease vehicle). You'd still be the second owner I guess that way and the car will be reasonably new - bought new and sold off by the three year mark. I got just such a vehicle in my Fiesta, was a good bargain especially if you buy it at auction rather than from a dealer who will add his margin.

Get a trusted mechanic to check out the cars and use his input to decide.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th August 2017, 17:57   #12305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Get a trusted mechanic to check out the cars and use his input to decide.
I unfortunately don't know any good mechanics here in Bangalore. Can I just take it to a Hyundai service centre and ask them for a thorough check-up?

Do service centres provide such a service, and is it advisable in the present context ?
Old 28th August 2017, 19:34   #12306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
I unfortunately don't know any good mechanics here in Bangalore. Can I just take it to a Hyundai service centre and ask them for a thorough check-up?

Do service centres provide such a service, and is it advisable in the present context ?
Yes they will levy a charge for it but will certainly do it. They will do it even more honestly if they aren’t the dealership that is selling the used car in the first place.
Old 28th August 2017, 20:26   #12307
BHPian

Quote:
I got just such a vehicle in my Fiesta, was a good bargain especially if you buy it at auction rather than from a dealer who will add his margin.
Can you please share the auctioneer name and how the process works ?
Old 28th August 2017, 20:44   #12308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
The car was owned by Ford Corporate and given as a company car to an employee. They then put it on the market at the end of 3 years, and it'd just completed 20k kilometers.

I picked mine up from a dealer as I'd just missed the auction - but they seem to only be doing this in Chennai. So any car you buy for an other state would need to be transported and re-registered.

Not aware of the auction link but I know a couple of Ford employees (one a bhpian) and can ask them.
Old 28th August 2017, 23:12   #12309
BHPian

Quote:

Not aware of the auction link but I know a couple of Ford employees (one a bhpian) and can ask them.
Thanks but am not looking for a Ford. Just needed to get a fix on how the auction option works and if it is available to retail buyers.
Old 29th August 2017, 07:04   #12310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Quote:
Not aware of the auction link but...
Auctions can sometimes get you the unimaginable. Here is the story of a businessman who managed to purchase two yesteryear luxury cars by paying peanuts. The icing on the cake is that the cars will certainly be the talk of the town for a long time to come. An excerpt:

Quote:
While liquor baron Vijaya Mallya has settled in London after being named as a defaulter by many leading banks in India, concerned authorities are auctioning his assets one after another to recover their dues. A businessman from Hubballi has bought two of Mallya's cars in an online action that was held in January 19, 2017.

Hanumantha Reddy, 28, a businessman, said the two cars were under the ownership of United Spirits Limited when they were put on auction by Quippo Valuers & Auctioneers Pvt Ltd. “I bought a Hyundai Sonata Gold car for just Rs 40,000 and a Honda Accord for just Rs 1 lakh,“ Reddy said. The businessman said that he paid Rs 1,40,000 for the two cars, a total of Rs 1,58,000 including 12.5% VAT. He received the cars in April 2017 as they were in Mumbai.

Both cars were in good condition when he bought them. The Sonata is a 2002 model and the Accord is 2003 model, Reddy explained.
dailydriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2017, 22:12   #12311
BHPian

Hello All,
One of my friends is looking to sell a single-owner, Feb 2014 Hyundai i20 Magnum 1.4 CRDi that has run 45K KMs. Orange book value shows around 4.5L, while Indian blue book shows around 5.5L.

What is a reasonable price for the car?
Old 1st September 2017, 15:07   #12312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Hello All,
Assuming that it is not the Elite i20, anywhere around 4.8-5.0L is a good price from a "buyer's" perspective. The Asta variant has a slightly better resale(read 50-60k extra), is a quick mover in the used car market.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2017, 17:24   #12313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
Hello All,
One of my friends is looking to sell a single-owner, Feb 2014 Hyundai i20 Magnum 1.4 CRDi that has run 45K KMs. Orange book value shows around 4.5L, while Indian blue book shows around 5.5L.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Assuming that it is not the Elite i20, anywhere around 4.8-5.0L is a good price from a "buyer's" perspective. The Asta variant has a slightly better resale(read 50-60k extra), is a quick mover in the used car market.
In other words, average the prices of OBV and IBB, quote 20..30k above that, get bargained down to more or less that amount and job done.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2017, 14:20   #12314
BHPian

Is it ok to buy a used taxi (provided it has low mileage). Are there any requirements that bar it from being registered as private vehicle - some forums say there's a minimum time before which it can't be done. Can someone please clarify? Also, I'm told the lifetime road tax will have to be paid on conversion. This is 7% in Maharashtra right??
Old 3rd September 2017, 20:41   #12315
BHPian

Hi guys, looking at a used black Rapid Elegance, petrol AT, July 2012, 46k on the odo. Looks to be in good condition, comprehensive insurance till May 18. Slight dent on the left fender, ac motor for the middle vents need work, and maybe a replacement of a bush in the steering column (have to get this checked).

I've kinda negotiated to 3.88 lacs, w/o the rto and other charges. Does it sound about right?

Most Viewed