Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2010, 18:33   #1681
JLN
BHPian

I have also been hunting for a used corolla in bangalore. Can;t find too many of them unlike the civics. so you may have to pay a small premium. I think you should close the deal at below 6 lakhs.

jayanth
Old 17th May 2010, 21:55   #1682
lsp
BHPian

Santro XL, June 2005, 40K for 2.25L?

Hi guys,
Need your opinion on this car. I've only interacted with the owner on mail and he has sent the following information and pics. Would be checking out the car in a couple of days or over the weekend.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Santro XL, June 2005 (Euro III), 40K mileage, Delhi Registration, Single owner

Service History - He says he will find out if hyundai will give him a copy of the same.

Loan - Owner has foreclosed the loan on 15th of this month and will get the NOC within 10 days

Any accidents/repairs - car is reportedly accident free (never claimed insurance even once during the last 5 yrs)

Replacements -
Battery replaced about 6 months ago as the old one died.
Replaced the brake shoes and the power steering seal/Oil during service just about 10 days ago

Tyres - in pretty good condition and they should last you another 15000 kms easily

Insurance - Comprehensive, valid until 7/2010

Other fitment -
Remote Central Locking (Xenos)
Gear Lock (pin type)
Sony CD/MP3 player/FM radio with AUX input (for ipod etc)
2 speakers in front, 2 X 3WAY speakers on the rear parcel tray (for better bass)

Asking price 2.25L

All the above information provided by the owner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

My thoughts -
Price seems a little high for an XL model of 2005. Carwale quotes 1.89L for Excellent and 1.81L for Good condition car. On the other hand when I check out used cars listed at the same site then the price for 2005 XL is in the range of 2.3-2.4L. How far are these figures reliable? Bit confused in fixing my last price for the car.

From the pics, car body looks fine. I would have preferred body colored bumpers but Black is not a deal breaker for me. Did Santro XL come with any power windows?? My last car (Sanro DX 2001), had a rear wiper and though I didn't use it much in Delhi, I remember it being very useful in those few rainy days.

I am not in dire need of a car. As in, I can manage to wait for sometime. About a month ago I rejected a Santro XS (top model) Sep 2005 50K done for 2.3L as the clutch seemed to be needing some adjustment and the alloys were in bad condition. Considering that, I am not at all convinced by the asking price of this car. However m planning to check it out.

Questions:-
1) I know it is hard to say just by looking at the pics, but what do u guys think about the car?

2) Given the level of equipment, whats the genuine price for this car?

3) what should I be checking in regards to the loan foreclosure? How do I ensure everything has been settled.

4) What points should I use to bargain? eg. Painting cost of bumpers, Windows need tint, Tyres 5 year old and need replacement etc.

5) Were body colored bumpers standard for XL? I distinctly remember seeing XLs with Body colored bumper.

6) How many power windows did XL have? 0 or 2 or 4

7) Lastly, and perhaps I should've begin with this, with the new Euro 4 norms coming into effect in Delhi will it be possible to get a Euro 3 car registered? If I am not able to transfer ownership in my name then the whole idea of searching for a used car is waste. I should start looking at new cars.

Any suggestions for Hyundai Service centers in south Delhi where I can get this car checked? Any references to service personnel in Hyundai A.S.S would be highly appreciated.

Pics:-
The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-car1.jpg

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-car2.jpg

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-car3.jpg

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-car4.jpg
Old 18th May 2010, 15:52   #1683
BHPian

Folks,

What would be a fair price for an OHC (Type 2) 1.5Exi 2003
  • 2 Owners.
  • 54000Kms
Its supposedly has
  • No mechanical work, scratch-less condition
  • Excellent engine condition
  • Full service history and track record available
TN Plates.
I'm yet to see the car. I just wanted to know what would be fair price for a car like this.
Old 18th May 2010, 16:14   #1684
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Folks,

What would be a fair price for an OHC (Type 2) 1.5Exi 2003
  • 2 Owners.
  • 54000Kms
Its supposedly has
  • No mechanical work, scratch-less condition
  • Excellent engine condition
  • Full service history and track record available
TN Plates.
I'm yet to see the car. I just wanted to know what would be fair price for a car like this.

for a 2003 model 53k sounds fishy with two owners, i guess a fair price should be 2 lacs

Pramod
Old 18th May 2010, 17:15   #1685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
for a 2003 model 53k sounds fishy with two owners, i guess a fair price should be 2 lacs
Pramod
Doctor owned car (both owners are docs).
My logic was since it came with a service history that should be ok ?
Or am I being stupid ?

Anyway I'm yet to see the car.
I was told 2.50-2.60L would be a fair price and 10-20k more if the condition is really good.

@ Pramod, Do you get good OHC for 2L in Cochin ?
In that case I'd rather get one from there.
Old 18th May 2010, 19:36   #1686
BHPian

Ikon in bangalore

Team,

What would be a fair price for an 1.3 ford ikon flair of 2004 @ Bangalore
First Owner.
88000Kms

12 CD changer + woofer

No mechanical work, scratch-less condition
Excellent engine condition + Full service history and track record available

Tyre needs to be changed in another 10k kms.
Old 18th May 2010, 20:05   #1687
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdmanju View Post
Team,

88000Kms

Tyre needs to be changed in another 10k kms.
Isn't it a bit risky to get an Ikon with such high reading on the odo?
Old 18th May 2010, 20:08   #1688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
How far do you think the online car evaluation calculators (e.g. Carwale) are correct?
I'm no expert on used cars, but I can give two data points. I managed to sell my old M800 to True Value to roughly the same price quoted by Carwale for a sale to a dealer. Carwale's quotes also seem to match with those offered by Honda AutoTerrace for used Hondas.

I would trust Carwale online evaluations as a very decent starting point, actually. After that, it depends on the actual condition of the car, the kind of accessories the car is fitted with, the negotiating capabilities of the parties, etc.

Regards,
spadix
Old 18th May 2010, 23:00   #1689
lsp
BHPian

Thanks for the replies guys. I understand that the quotes given by online forums are just for reference and given keeping in mind a standard set of parameters. The actual price of a car will be affected by a lot of other things. Everyone inflates the price while selling and tries to bring it down while buying.

Bargaining is something which isn't my forte.

What do u guys think about this deal? -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anandg View Post
HI LSP
I am too facing the same dilemma but for past few months I have observed that the prices of the cars are always inflated by the sellers. Wont you and me would do the same if we were to sell our prized possessions? Its how you bargain that matters in the end. Dealers are indeed there to rip you off.
But remember the price of the good condition car should be between the "excellent and good" state as mentioned in carwale. If not walkaway. If you need help then befriend a surveyor in maruti and call him to check the deal that your getting and he shall update you with the lowest price that a car can be sold in market and then you can take steps from there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
@LSP

Mate, as you must had read on the site itself, the prices are indicative and to be very frank, even the indication is not always accurate. At the most, you get a fair idea about the price.

The actual price depends and varies a lot on the actual condition of the car. Also, there are frequent variations in the used car price due to factors like model changes and stuff.

Less than a couple of years ago there were Ikon Flairs with around 60K on the clock going for as low as 1.25 lakhs. Try finding a similar deal today.

Also, the dealers are not to be trusted. A petrol W124 Masterpiece in good condition should not command more than 4 lakhs but a dealer at Chandigarh was quoting around 7.75 lakhs for the car. Almost double. Similarly, the fusion diesel which isn't a popular car was on sale for 5.2 lakhs. Someone tell me why wouldn't anyone with I.Q. greater than a cauliflower won't buy a new Figo Diesel or Ikon Diesel for same money?

So, you get the picture. Its tough having an accurate data about the resale values. Best bet is to hunt for newspaper classifieds and a fair bit of research.

Also, as you mentioned its very normal that you find inflated prices as compared to CARWALE, thgey expect you to bargain and bargain hard, don't they?

Regards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
I'm no expert on used cars, but I can give two data points. I managed to sell my old M800 to True Value to roughly the same price quoted by Carwale for a sale to a dealer. Carwale's quotes also seem to match with those offered by Honda AutoTerrace for used Hondas.

I would trust Carwale online evaluations as a very decent starting point, actually. After that, it depends on the actual condition of the car, the kind of accessories the car is fitted with, the negotiating capabilities of the parties, etc.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by lsp : 18th May 2010 at 23:14.
Old 19th May 2010, 09:26   #1690
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Doctor owned car (both owners are docs).
My logic was since it came with a service history that should be ok ?
Or am I being stupid ?

Anyway I'm yet to see the car.
I was told 2.50-2.60L would be a fair price and 10-20k more if the condition is really good.

@ Pramod, Do you get good OHC for 2L in Cochin ?
In that case I'd rather get one from there.
The problem is OHC especially the 99 to 2003 models are over hyped every where in kerala, there are 3 variants in this model the 1.3exi, the 1.5 exi and the 1.5 vtec, best part is all 3 are priced somewhat equally in the used car marken in cochin, getting a decent OHC in cochin from a owner is difficult due to an extreamly well knit dealer/broker network. If you are indeed looking for an OHC and registration is no bar i guess extending your search till AP will definitely give you fruitful results in the price range you are looking. However there is still chance of getting a decent OHC at a decent price in cochin itself, but will take a lot of time and patience.

Pramod
Old 19th May 2010, 10:49   #1691
BHPian

Hey yzkrj, if registration is not an issue for you then please check the classifieds section in Team-bhp, I saw a Honda City 1.5 exi, doctor owned car put for sale. The car is from Chennai.

The car looks pretty good from the pictures, done nearly 54 K miles I think. Just check it out.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:01   #1692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post
Hey yzkrj, if registration is not an issue for you then please check the classifieds section in Team-bhp, I saw a Honda City 1.5 exi, doctor owned car put for sale. The car is from Chennai.

The car looks pretty good from the pictures, done nearly 54 K miles I think. Just check it out.

i dont know what is so special about doctor owned cars? same goes with parsi owned ones as well in mumbai. I have heard of lot of issues where doctors are responsible for rash driving and causing damge to properties, OT, i have seen a lot of moded cars in the hospitals parking lots where i regularly visit. The emphasize i think should be on the physical inspection and then the service records. a doctor/parsi owned car dosent mean it demands a premium, just my 2 cents.

Pramod
Old 19th May 2010, 11:03   #1693
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr_007 View Post

One thing i don't understand why does Doctor Owned sells in premium? Why not engineers? I feel doctor use the car more than engineers going from hospital to hospital all through the day and every day, is it not. I have seen used cars from doctors most of them don't have time to give for service also.

Last edited by shamanth : 19th May 2010 at 11:05.
Old 19th May 2010, 11:20   #1694
BHPian

My Friend is buying a used 800. Please check whether this offer is good or not...

Maruti 800 with AC.
Year:2003
Second Owner
Odo: 40K KMS
Asking Price: Rs.80,000
Old 19th May 2010, 11:38   #1695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
One thing i don't understand why does Doctor Owned sells in premium? Why not engineers? I feel doctor use the car more than engineers going from hospital to hospital all through the day and every day, is it not. I have seen used cars from doctors most of them don't have time to give for service also.
Lady driven cars will also demand more resale. These are the selling tactics from the dealers. I have personally seen how lady driven cars are maintained, I would stay away from it, reasons being riding the clutch, driving at high speeds in low gears, going fast over potholes, driving the car oblivious to the fact that one of the tyres have punctured.

Note - These are my perceptual view & no offense meant to lady drivers.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 19th May 2010 at 11:40.

Most Viewed