Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2010, 14:08   #2491
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
I'd say run... someone I know struggled to sell a 7K run '08 violet Civic for 9.5L, where on earth is this dealer quoting so much?
Bang on! Remember, the used car market in Bnagy is very skewed. So, you will come across a lot of dealer/owners who will try to sell their vehicles at prices which they believe they should get. Most times their 'wished' price has no relation with the 'market' price of the vehicle. The deal you came across is a prime example.

Run fast. A similarly used CIVIC should not cost you 10L at max. In Delhi (and Bombay to a certain extent), you can get the same sample for 7.5L max. You can do the math by the following:

(New car cost in Delhi/Mumbai- New car cost in Delhi)- depreciation on that amount= 'Premium' you should be ready to pay ever the same car cost in another city.
Old 13th December 2010, 18:56   #2492
BHPian

One of my friend is looking for used civic, we just checked one details as follows,

Year:2006 Dec (2007 Registered)
Make:Honda
Model:Civic SMT
ODO:35K
dealer quoted price:6.7 lacs
Stopper: 2nd Owner

As we test drove the vechicle and verified all the other visual aspects, the vechicle is very well maintained and absolutely scratch free, looks really good and no rattlings , vibrations and all. Kindly helps us on the following questions,

Is the price justified or not? How much we can bargain?
What is the correct price for the 2nd owner vechicle?
What is the other things which we need to take care while buying used Civic especially?

Kindly help us on this. Thanks in advance.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:03   #2493
BHPian

^^^ 6.7 L for 2007 Civic is a steal. That too from a dealer it's unbelievably less.
You can take extra precautions, check if the mileage is genuine, no accidents, etc.
Old 14th December 2010, 10:44   #2494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch.nathan View Post
^^^ 6.7 L for 2007 Civic is a steal. That too from a dealer it's unbelievably less.
And that is exactly what should raise a RED FLAG. That and the fact that you'll be the 3rd owner in 3 years!
Be extra careful about the history of the vehicle and get it checked thoroughly by a good reliable mechanic.

I went through a similar situation when I was looking at cars. The 2007 diesel fiesta I looked at was almost scratch free and looked very well maintained and drove smoothly for the small TD I did, and the price quoted was also very reasonable. I loved the vehicle and was almost ready to buy it then and there.

But when I got it thoroughly checked from a mechanic, he found that the back (trunk) had been completely welded and replaced (the marks were hidden under the trunk's rubber beading), some of the window glasses and rear windshield had been replaced, and also the diesel engine was giving a "back kick", meaning losing compression, and would require at least another 30k in repairs in a few months!!!

Last edited by Neilguy : 14th December 2010 at 10:48. Reason: Clarity
Old 14th December 2010, 20:36   #2495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
One of my friend is looking for used civic, we just checked one details as follows,

As we test drove the vechicle and verified all the other visual aspects, the vechicle is very well maintained and absolutely scratch free, looks really good and no rattlings , vibrations and all. Kindly helps us on the following questions,

What is the other things which we need to take care while buying used Civic especially?

The number of owners should not bother you if you intend to keep the car for 4+years. Check of accident history and see if the service history is available.

Pramod

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th December 2010 at 20:53. Reason: typo
Old 14th December 2010, 20:42   #2496
BHPian

I have seen a 2006 Civic S with 37K on odometer and single owner listed at 680,000 on TS mahalingam website. TSM was supposed to be relatively more reliable used car dealer (i bought one from them). So I suppose 6.7L for the civic listed in this post is par for the course!
Old 14th December 2010, 21:05   #2497
BHPian

Get it well examined by a qualified and trusty mechanic. Cars can be patched up a little before the sale, so be extra cautious
Nice price though.

Check for structural damages, accident history, insurance claimed, service records etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post

Old 15th December 2010, 13:54   #2498
BHPian

what would be a best price for 99 Honda city 1.5 exi AT in bangalore.
Yet to see the car. 2 owners. 65k run.

Carwale puts it at 1.6 lakhs Asking price 2.25 (negotiable)

Any precautions before buying this particular model.

-Shashi
Old 15th December 2010, 15:52   #2499
BHPian

Thanks friends, The deal is with jain car shoppe, i have no idea about their reliability. Anyway, will have one more look with our trusted mechanic this week.
Old 15th December 2010, 15:53   #2500
BHPian

What should be the price for 2003 August City Vtec done 48k . The car body is in perfect condition well maintained and no rattels. Only hitch owner has said that there is some work in front wheels as there is some tak tak noise while moving with steering in full lock position. The car is in Mumbai and Mumbai registered
Old 15th December 2010, 16:37   #2501
Senior - BHPian

I sold my 2004 Palio 1.2 NV Sport for 1.75L last week. It was just 39K run and well maintained.
Old 15th December 2010, 16:48   #2502
BHPian

How much should i pay for a single owner genuine 50k mileage opel astra 1.6 gls Pune register. its through a dealer and he is willing to negotiate. he is quoting 85k. says the fuel pump and filter have been recently changed.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:37   #2503
BHPian

First, take a good mechanic and get it checked thoroughly. Keep a buffer on the expenses you need to incur to get it in good working condition, if there are any issues with it. Also you need to consider service & spares cost, in the long run
And bargain hard, you can call the shots as this is not a car that is going to sell off very quickly, so the dealer will negotiate for selling it quickly, upkeeping such cars will cost him as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
How much should i pay for a single owner genuine 50k mileage opel astra 1.6 gls Pune register. its through a dealer and he is willing to negotiate. he is quoting 85k. says the fuel pump and filter have been recently changed.
Old 15th December 2010, 21:07   #2504
BHPian

A friend recently saw a ford ikon 2001 model in Bangalore run about 60k kms for only 1.25 lacs. Wondering if the price is ok as the car looks in great condition. Initial quote was 1.6 lacs!! Are ford Ilona in demand?
Old 15th December 2010, 21:30   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
First, take a good mechanic and get it checked thoroughly. Keep a buffer on the expenses you need to incur to get it in good working condition, if there are any issues with it. Also you need to consider service & spares cost, in the long run
And bargain hard, you can call the shots as this is not a car that is going to sell off very quickly, so the dealer will negotiate for selling it quickly, upkeeping such cars will cost him as well.
Thanks very much. i also forgot to mention that its a 1997 model and single owner.
What kind of expenses would i need at this state of engine running? Authorized Service is absolutely nil right? and spares are few and far between? i am actually buying it as a stop gap measure during the winter. intend to sell it off by march 2011 and buy a new car then. My budget is low right now and hence this decision.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks