Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2011, 23:00   #3916
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Need inputs from you. A friend of mine in Bombay is looking at purchasing a 2nd hand sedan in the range of 4 lakhs. He is currently looking at petrol cars, no good diesel options available. He'll be keeping this car for minimum 2 years atleast.

The options at hand - a 2006 Optra 1.6 Royale and 2007 Honda City ZX Vtec M/T, both being offered from Mahindra First choice. He hasn't been able to source any from individual sellers. The Optra is in an immaculate condition and just under 4L, and he's preferring this car. (The city's higher by 40k)

Q1. Is MF a good option? They are offering one/two year warranties on these cars.

Q2. Feedback required on the Optra. Also is the pricing correct for both the cars? I feel they are definitely on the higher side.

Awaiting your inputs.
Stay away from MFC, from my experience, they are crooks, just very low level money makers. The warranty provided for these cars cover only the engine and gear box and I am waiting for the time when a car sold by them actually has an engine/GB problem, what will they do ? Source a car from the local classifieds or thru T-BHP classifieds, always better to buy directly from the owner. Also better to stay away from the Optra, the NHC is a much better choice.
Old 25th December 2011, 23:13   #3917
PhX
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
Need inputs from you. A friend of mine in Bombay is looking at purchasing a 2nd hand sedan in the range of 4 lakhs. He is currently looking at petrol cars, no good diesel options available. He'll be keeping this car for minimum 2 years atleast.

The options at hand - a 2006 Optra 1.6 Royale and 2007 Honda City ZX Vtec M/T, both being offered from Mahindra First choice. He hasn't been able to source any from individual sellers. The Optra is in an immaculate condition and just under 4L, and he's preferring this car. (The city's higher by 40k)

Q1. Is MF a good option? They are offering one/two year warranties on these cars.

Q2. Feedback required on the Optra. Also is the pricing correct for both the cars? I feel they are definitely on the higher side.

Awaiting your inputs.
Hey, I wouldn't be able to tell you about MFC; I've never been there myself, and don't have any experiences.

However, for a 4L budget, your friend should be able to get decent 2007-2008 VTEC Honda City. Instead of going through MFC, look through the classifieds or at carwale. Find a car that's close to your budget, get the car checked by a mechanic you trust and negotiate the price. It will be a little extra effort, but worth it. At MFC, TrueValue or AutoTerrace, you always end up paying more for no good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Get it checked out thoroughly by your preferred mechanic or by Honda themselves. That is a very good price IMO for the car, check if it's accident free and if it drives well. Yes, the mileage is a bit high as mentioned by you, but it's still a very good deal on the face of it. Make sure you know what you're getting into though; don't rush into it just because your heart leaps at the thought of owning a City for such a terrific price. Do your research and come to a decision in due course of time.

Good luck! Let us know how it went.
Thanks! The car is definitely accident-free and well-maintained. They've come down to 6.15L. I'm hoping to close it sub-6 because I need to transfer the registration from a Thane number to a Mumbai number.

Possibly OT (and possibly a noob question): Is it possible (and hassle-free) to transfer the insurance into the new owner's name without having to pay anything extra?
Old 26th December 2011, 10:20   #3918
Distinguished - BHPian

I just checked out a Honda city yesterday at first choice.
It is immaculate, and i have gone through their warranties which look good(proviso of non normal wear and tear.eg: shocks and coils, no, but struts and rods, yes), and also spoke to 4 people who had bought from mahindra to see how well the warranties are honored.
they are, apparently.
I dont remember the version, and nor can i figure it out.

Help me here please.
Its a 08 model, 37k on the clock and its got the following:
1. Driver and passenger airbags
2. all around power windows
3. electrically adjustable mirrors
4. central locking(i dont think its a feature, but mentioning, nonetheless)
5. the engine block plate says vtec.is it a vtec?

Who am i?

price after negotiation has come to 5.05, all inclusive, (with insurance, warranty for first year for 7k, and new tyres)

(is that worthy of a TBHP quiz?)
Old 26th December 2011, 10:36   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
City bla bla bla....I dont remember the version, and nor can i figure it out.

Help me here please.

Who am i?

price after negotiation has come to 5.05, all inclusive, (with insurance, warranty for first year for 7k, and new tyres)

The easiest way to spot the difference is the body shape! The previous generation City looks nothing like the current generation City, so that's a dead giveaway. Anyhow, this sounds like the previous generation City. AFAIK, electrically adjustable mirrors weren't a part of the City at all previously. The City only just got it with the latest facelift.

I could be wrong though!
Old 26th December 2011, 10:38   #3920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The easiest way to spot the difference is the body shape! The previous generation City looks nothing like the current generation City, so that's a dead giveaway. Anyhow, this sounds like the previous generation City. AFAIK, electrically adjustable mirrors weren't a part of the City at all previously. The City only just got it with the latest facelift.

I could be wrong though!

I honestly dont know what to say to this.
Old 26th December 2011, 10:40   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I honestly dont know what to say to this.
Whoops, were you looking for the version of the gaddi as opposed to which generation it was from?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 14:22   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX View Post
Is it possible (and hassle-free) to transfer the insurance into the new owner's name without having to pay anything extra?
Once the car is registered to the new owner's name, he will have to make an application to the insurance company. The insurance will be transferred to the new owner's name at no cost (may be a small processing charge). Validity and all other details will be the same, only owner's details will chance.

However, NCB will not be transferred. In case the policy has NCB, the new owner will have to pay the NCB difference for the pending period from the date of transfer till the validity of the policy (in additon to the processing charges, if applicable).

If the new owner decides for a different insurance company, then the car will be evaluated and then new policy will start afresh.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:10   #3923
Senior - BHPian

Please advise about a Chevy beat Diesel with following specs:

. 1 month old
. 2000 km run
. PS version but all top ups done, like remote central locking and all four power windows (autocop) , xplod touch screen player, reverse camera, 4 speakers, fog lamps, seat covers + steering cover, wooden finish on dash board (where the beat has shiny black finish), Garware tints, car cover, mats etc
no scratches or accidents
. Selling because owner heading out of country
. Done first servicing of 1000kms
. The 3 year warranty is there, but the cashless ownership is not taken.

On road a new PS costs 4.96 here. I am getting the above in 4.5L, so effectively 10% discount with all the above goodies free. Is it good?

Last edited by ani_meher : 26th December 2011 at 15:17.
Old 26th December 2011, 15:21   #3924
BHPian

I think 4.3 to 4.4lakhs would be a good deal. Considering a PS without the features costs 4.95l.
You will be hit with a lower resale value when you go to sell the car, because you are the second owner, so factor that cost in and take a call.
Diesel hatchbacks with very low kms on the clock are hard to come by btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Please advise about a Chevy beat Diesel with following specs:

. 1 month old
. 2000 km run
. PS version but all top ups done, like remote central locking and all four power windows (autocop) , xplod touch screen player, reverse camera, 4 speakers, fog lamps, seat covers + steering cover, wooden finish on dash board (where the beat has shiny black finish), Garware tints, car cover, mats etc
no scratches or accidents
. Selling because owner heading out of country
. Done first servicing of 1000kms

On road a new PS costs 4.96 here. I am getting the above in 4.5L, so effectively 10% discount with all the above goodies free. Is it good?
mohandasnikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 16:00   #3925
BHPian

Quote:

Do they have the cashless ownership for Chevy Beat Diesel ? If yes, then can you buy one right now?

How much did the first owner spend on extras for the vehicle. If it is just Autocop and basic music system, I guess it would not cost more than 10 - 12k for him. If the music system is really good then 4.5 is worth it because you would be spending a big chunk of money on new vehicle to get a similar system installed.

The deal is based on how you want to pay for the vehicle. If you are planning to finance it then I guess this deal is not worth it. Because the rate of interest is higher for 2nd hand vehicles. It would be better to a new vehicle and finance it.
Also how long are you planning to keep it? If it is for just 1 year or so, then again I would suggest look for cheaper options.
If you are paying by cash, then I think you can bargain hard and get the same for 4.3 to 4.4 as mentioned earlier.
Or try to get the 3 year cashless ownership on beat and buy it for 4.5 or 4.55.
Your purchase decision is a bit different, as you want to buy a new beat, instead you are getting a 1 month old beat for a lower price. All the best for your decision
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 16:19   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Your purchase decision is a bit different, as you want to buy a new beat, instead you are getting a 1 month old beat for a lower price. All the best for your decision
Thanks for the detailed answer, and also thanks to mohandasnikhil!

This will be my first car, on which I will learn driving I liked a number of cars, loved a handful only. One was beat, which was my first love 2 years ago when it wasn't even released, and I saw it being tested in Pune. Second is Jazz. No other car has appealed as these two.
Also how long are you planning to keep it?
I am keen on diesel because of mental satisfaction of low cost of running ( though may not be mathematically correct ). I plan to keep this for 2-3 years at least, so as to identify my final needs from a car. Currently I am bit confused about whether I need sedan or small car or mid hatchback like Jazz etc, so I think 3 years will be best to drive a small car and to learn what to expect from a car.

How much did the first owner spend on extras for the vehicle.
The first owner says he has spent above 60k on accessories alone! Autocop central lock + power windows, that xplode panel costs some 20k (checked on google) n speakers for 3-4k, rear cam (no idea about costs), then usual toppings like mudflaps, tints, fog lamps (doesn't it costs about 2000?) and a unused car cover, still lying in packing. The seat covers are genuine Chevy accessories. I think the accessories fair price would be about 40k (market, not for used ones).

Do they have the cashless ownership for Chevy Beat Diesel ? If yes, then can you buy one right now?

Buying a cashless ownership is not an option now, and it costs Rs.18000.

I will be paying with cash, so no loan hassles. I echo your exact thought, it's as if I am getting an almost new car with 15-20% discount (counting the accessories). 3 years company warranty for a completely new user is attracting me!

This would be my second highest expenditure in life (after home!). If you have any comments, pls do comment.
Old 26th December 2011, 18:34   #3927
BHPian

Quote:
This will be my first car, on which I will learn driving
The first owner says he has spent above 60k on accessories alone!

This would be my second highest expenditure in life (after home!). If you have any comments, pls do comment.

if you don't plan to travel very often with luggage, this might just be the right car for you. i would say negotiate hard and try to close the deal at 4.3-4.4 as others have suggested; if the current owner is right about the 60k figure on accessories and those systems are upto your taste, it would be worth the quoted price. make sure to get the insurance transfered to your name and also demand for the service history (and other original reciepts, documents) so far; a fully documented service history will easily escalate your resale by a few 10s of thousands down the line.

P.S. if you decide not to buy this car, please pass on the details to me, a friend is looking for a used diesel vehicle.
infotech58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 19:26   #3928
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles

Whoops, were you looking for the version of the gaddi as opposed to which generation it was from?
Correct.
Any information would be welcome about city mid gen versions.
Old 26th December 2011, 20:07   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
I just checked out a Honda city yesterday at first choice.
It is immaculate, and i have gone through their warranties which look good(proviso of non normal wear and tear.eg: shocks and coils, no, but struts and rods, yes), and also spoke to 4 people who had bought from mahindra to see how well the warranties are honored.
they are, apparently.
I dont remember the version, and nor can i figure it out.

Help me here please.

Who am i?

This must be Honda City ZX Vtec. I think City ZX Vtec with ABS and Airbags was launched by Honda as a response to SX4 Zxi. Just to make sure it is a Vtec, check if it had rear disc brakes. It should have rear disk brakes and 14 inch Honda alloys.

Price looks high for a 4 year old petrol sedan. For about the same price, you should be able to get a late 2008/ early 2009 all new honda city with similar mileage.

Edit - Please check the links below to find out if it is Vtec or Vtec Plus.

Features: Honda City ZX VTEC - CarWale

Features: Honda City ZX VTEC Plus - CarWale

Last edited by amit1234singla : 26th December 2011 at 20:22.
amit1234singla is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2011, 23:07   #3930
BHPian

Quote:
This will be my first car, on which I will learn driving. No other car has appealed as these two.

I am keen on diesel because of mental satisfaction of low cost of running ( though may not be mathematically correct ). I plan to keep this for 2-3 years at least, so as to identify my final needs from a car. Currently I am bit confused about whether I need sedan or small car or mid hatchback like Jazz etc, so I think 3 years will be best to drive a small car and to learn what to expect from a car.

The first owner says he has spent above 60k on accessories alone!

I will be paying with cash, so no loan hassles. I echo your exact thought, it's as if I am getting an almost new car with 15-20% discount (counting the accessories). 3 years company warranty for a completely new user is attracting me!

Since you are hellbent on the vehicle, you should go for this one.

I think if the quoted 60k is correct, it is a good deal. Just get the original bills of the accessories as well to ensure authenticity of his claims.

Also as you are paying by cash, this would be a good option and starting off with a hatchback is a good idea. Diesel will make sense if you are planning to run around 1000kms a month in the current scenario. Just give her adequate care and the car will serve you long. Again all the best for your purchase decision.
himavanth_m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks