Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2012, 22:47   #4741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhdadhichi
Fellow BHPians,

I had posted a reply on the same thread around 2 months back to ask for the price i can expect for selling my Red Swift VDI 2008 model in good condition with Sony Audio system, 4 JBL speakers with 2 tweeters & newly add shoes from Michelin. The answer i got was about 4 Lakhs, now that 2 months has passed since i got this quote & my swift has done 64000 Kms thats about 4K more than it was earlier.

What do you guys think is the best price i can get now? I got a quote of 3.5 lakh from the car dealer i know.
The dealer price for this is okay as per what your being quoted 3.5 plus minus 10 grand here ot there the dealer will easily sell this of in between 3.75 to 4 depending on the buyer. If you sell directly and the car is in top mint condition you could easily get between 3.8 to 4 lakhs from an individuval here in delhi.
Born 2 Be Wild is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 22:58   #4742
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Folks,

With skyrocketting petrol prices, at back of my mind, am thinking of shifting to a diesel car.

I own a May 2011 model i20 Asta petrol and the ODO reads just 8000 kms in last 1 year. The car is in excellent condition with zero trouble. I have extended year warranty too.

I enquired Hyundai sales and they quoted just 4 lacs for exchange :( saying the first two years depreciation will be high. The On Road price was about 7 lac last year and within a year, will the car value drop so much, just because its petrol car and there is good demand for diesel cars?

Am confused with these options.

1) Wait for a year or two and then buy a newer model - but not sure how much the petrol cost is going to go up.
2) Look for better price outside Hyundai dealership. If so how much the price can be at the best?

What will be the better bet? Please opine.

-Ravi
Old 31st May 2012, 23:37   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Folks,

With skyrocketting petrol prices, at back of my mind, am thinking of shifting to a diesel car.

I own a May 2011 model i20 Asta petrol and the ODO reads just 8000 kms in last 1 year. The car is in excellent condition with zero trouble. I have extended year warranty too.

I enquired Hyundai sales and they quoted just 4 lacs for exchange :( saying the first two years depreciation will be high. The On Road price was about 7 lac last year and within a year, will the car value drop so much, just because its petrol car and there is good demand for diesel cars?

1) Wait for a year or two and then buy a newer model - but not sure how much the petrol cost is going to go up.
2) Look for better price outside Hyundai dealership. If so how much the price can be at the best?

-Ravi
It’s best to stick with the Petrol car now that you have bought it, and enjoy the car rather than think about fuel prices all the time, as the loss would anyways be at least 2 lakhs if not 3, and it cannot be covered now even if you were to buy a Diesel car. It also depends a lot on how many kms you drive in a month, if it’s below 1300-1500, just keep the Petrol and enjoy the car.
musicmanaman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2012, 23:53   #4744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib
Folks,

-Ravi
If you are going to sell, you will loose 3L on i20petrol. Actually if you depreciate 20% for 1year, it is 1.4L only. But additional loss will be 3L- 1.4L = 1.6L
And there is an addtional investment of 4L to buy new diesel car as you are left with 4L after selling petrol car and diesel car will be around 8L. After adding 4L additional investment & loss of 1.6L. Now calculate the interest in 5.6L permonth which could be Rs.4,000+ and then calculate your monthly running which is just 666kms and you are saving fuel bill of just Rs.2,300/- Once again calculate yourself and make a wise decision.

Last edited by HighOctane : 31st May 2012 at 23:59.
HighOctane is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 00:36   #4745
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to get a new car soon. The query is regarding mr dependable, 1.9 PalioD. ELX.
Its a 2005 November model and I'm thinking whether I should find a new home for her! Its been a real good experience with it and never had an issue so far. Lots of wonderful trips, happy miles and memories associated during this 67K+ odo as of date.
I have the FIP issues popped up for few months now and using workaround all the time, no issues with that. My questions are.

> I'm going for SUV, dont ride much in the city but major use is going to be highways and occasional city usage (was same with my PalioD also). Does it make sense to keep PalioD for wife/parents knowing that we are not going to put considerable miles on it once I have the new car!! or better to find a new home rather keeping her parked most of the time (was thnking to keep the car considering the low resale value).
> In case if I decide to find her a new home, what can I expect? its in very good condition except FIP which I'm planning to get fixed (shoud cost around 20k!! or less!!). How much should I expect?

Thank you.
Old 1st June 2012, 01:38   #4746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Does it make sense to keep PalioD for wife/parents knowing that we are not going to put considerable miles on it once I have the new car!! or better to find a new home rather keeping her parked most of the time (was thnking to keep the car considering the low resale value).
Thank you.
Does it makes sense? YES.

Will it have a low resale value? Hell YES.

Keep the car if it has been responsible for some happy motoring and has given you a trouble free experience. As you said, you won't get much by selling it. Regardless of how well maintained it is.

Regards.
YC.BALENO.CHD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 09:47   #4747
Senior - BHPian

Thank you YC,

I am inclined towards keeping her. However, I'm affraid of keeping a diesel car parked for long time and maintenance etc. I guess, I will give it to my wife for her very short commute to work and other errands. Its a true workhorse. I'm surely not going to get the value its worth.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:33   #4748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you YC,

I am inclined towards keeping her. However, I'm affraid of keeping a diesel car parked for long time and maintenance etc. I guess, I will give it to my wife for her very short commute to work and other errands. Its a true workhorse. I'm surely not going to get the value its worth.

Good decision. My friend recently tried selling his, and it was not a pleasant experience. The money that you will anyway lose with the sale, will be more than enough for her upkeep.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:46   #4749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
I own a May 2011 model i20 Asta petrol and the ODO reads just 8000 kms in last 1 year. What will be the better bet? Please opine.
-Ravi
Hello Ravi,

It will be indeed a bad decision to sell off your Car for Rs. 4 or even Rs. 4.5 Lacs.

You usage for last year has been just 8000 kms & if it is same with Diesel Car then the yearly saving will be approx Rs. 22,500 [8000 Kms / 12 mileage = 660 liters of Petrol & 660 * 35 (Rs. 80 petrol - Rs. 45 Diesel) = Rs. 22500 approx.]

Thus just to save Rs. 22,500 per year, what are you losing? Rs. 3 lacs in your Value of i20 & You will put additional Rs. 2 / 3 Lacs to buy a new Diesel Car.

Now just consider interest on additional Rs. 3 lacs you will put in to buy a Diesel Car = Rs. 30,000 per year.

Thus please continue use your Car & only think of selling after three years.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 10:54   #4750
BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to get a new car soon. The query is regarding mr dependable, 1.9 PalioD. ELX.
Its a 2005 November model and I'm thinking whether I should find a new home for her! Its been a real good experience with it and never had an issue so far. Lots of wonderful trips, happy miles and memories associated during this 67K+ odo as of date.
I have the FIP issues popped up for few months now and using workaround all the time, no issues with that. My questions are.

> I'm going for SUV, dont ride much in the city but major use is going to be highways and occasional city usage (was same with my PalioD also). Does it make sense to keep PalioD for wife/parents knowing that we are not going to put considerable miles on it once I have the new car!! or better to find a new home rather keeping her parked most of the time (was thnking to keep the car considering the low resale value).
> In case if I decide to find her a new home, what can I expect? its in very good condition except FIP which I'm planning to get fixed (shoud cost around 20k!! or less!!). How much should I expect?

Thank you.
I made the mistake of selling my Palio 1.9D ELX two years ago. I still regret. Price you get for Palio is very low. It serves as good car till odo reads 150000 kms. Consider keeping it. If you take her for a ride even once a week, still it will keep itself in shape.
Old 1st June 2012, 14:12   #4751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Apologies for quoting myself.
I had a look at the car and it was shoddy. Major color difference between the doors and panels. Could not make out which one was painted and which was not.
The engine also seemed to have lost all its vigor and could hear some groaning inside. Thanked the dealer and made my exit.

Can you tell me if 2.65L is a good price for this car?

Model: Oct 2004
Owners: 2
Make: Honda City V-AT
KMS: 22500

The car looks to be well looked after but I feel the quote is quite bloated. Would 2.3 - 2.4L be a good enough price for this car?

Many thanks
Hiren, I suggest you stay away from this car. Reason -
New Tyres;
New Brake Pads;
New Suspension Struts
New tie rod ends and lower Arms and all suspension and steering bushes;
Door rubber beedings new;
Wheel bearings new;
Axle boots are new and
Axle bearings are new.

Tell me why would the above parts need replacement in just 22,500 kms
It looks like it has done 2,25,000 kms !

Regards
Varun
powertrain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 15:44   #4752
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
New Tyres;
New Brake Pads;
New Suspension Struts
Wheel bearings new;
Axle boots are new and
Axle bearings are new.

Regards
Varun
While I cannot comment on the mileage clocked by the car, this looks like the case of an accident where suspension was damaged completely.

It is possible that the car has clocked only 22K KM. The photos look good (I don't know how old they are).

Be careful!
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 16:03   #4753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hiren, I suggest you stay away from this car. Reason -
New Tyres;
New Brake Pads;
New Suspension Struts
Wheel bearings new;
Axle boots are new and
Axle bearings are new.

Regards
Varun
Varun,
Thanks a ton for your input, I don't know why this thought never came to my mind. But now, it all makes sense.
It seriously help getting a second opinion.

Cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
While I cannot comment on the mileage clocked by the car, this looks like the case of an accident where suspension was damaged completely.

It is possible that the car has clocked only 22K KM. The photos look good (I don't know how old they are).

Be careful!
It sure does look that way SUN. The photo's is what tempted me towards this car. I will nonetheless take a look at this car and get back.
There is no way we will buy this car if it has been involved in an accident.
Thanks for the reply,

Regards
Old 1st June 2012, 17:02   #4754
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Varun,
Thanks a ton for your input, I don't know why this thought never came to my mind. Bu----------------------SNIP---------------------ply,

Regards
You should go and at least see the car.
He's mentioned all service done, see if thats from Honda.
Cross ref a couple of them from 1-2 years apart, youll get a fair idea of mileage being real or not.
Replacements may be just cos of age, preventive, but HIGHLY unlikely, plus that 22.5 does ring all kinds of bells.
But who knows, maybe you'll get lucky?

The dealer may have been trying to reel in people by saying new dish and new dash, but they arent the smartest of people, are they?
he's put in too much "new".
The parts themselves could come out to be 2.65L...
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 22:47   #4755
Senior - BHPian

^Also check for any insurance claims.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed