Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2013, 04:03   #7066
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hello friends, this is not just a price check but this is also a used car suggestion query -

Right now, I am in UK and I will be returning to Mumbai in some months. We have an Innova and a XUV5OO back home. We recently sold the Innova as it was quite old and was being rarely used. Now, my sister in law has just learnt driving and my family is planning to buy a used small car.

Now my plan is - to buy a car which is decent enough so that even I can drive it when I get back to Mumbai. Also, it can double up as a family car when required. Basically, I want a car which is fun to drive, plus can seat 4 comfortably. Now the criteria for the car is :

1) Has to be a petrol. Petrols have lower resale value. The running of this car would be very very less and hence does not justify a diesel.
2) Preferably an automatic. Everyone in my family is a diesel lover. We have not bough petrol cars since 2003. So if we are buying a petrol car after 10 years, it has to be an automatic. It will be easy for my sister in law who has just learnt to drive plus even I would like the comfort of the A/T as this car would strictly be a city car. For the highways, we have the XUV.

Now, I need a car which is powerful, nimble and fun to drive. I cant spend more than 5 Lacs, because anything more than that and I can might as well buy a brand new i10 A/T. I shortlisted a few cars like -

1) i10 A/T : Tall boys are good for the city, but I dont think they are fun to drive!

2) i20 1.4 A/T : Somehow, I dont really like the way the i20 looks.

3) Honda City (ANHC) A/T : Great engine, adequate power and paddle shifters! Honda reliability. Again, I dont like the way it looks, but it is better than the i20 atleast.

4) Honda Civic A/T : Great engine, good looks, spacious cabin and paddle shifters. But low ground clearance and very low seating, which is a problem for tall people like me and my brother.

Honda Civics are being sold for dirt cheap. Civics which has run 40-50k is being sold for 4-5 Lacs. But the car is now discontinued.

I can get good examples of i20 for 5 Lacs. But then if I invest about 50-60k more, I get ANHCs in similar condition.

One thing I forgot to mention is that the car should be mildly modifiable! I mean, a car which may look good with alloys and fatter rubber, because I will be doing that at the minimum.

I did not consider the A star because it is too cramped for us and SX4 A/T is too dull to drive. Your opinion guys? Is it worth to stretch for the ANHC? Is ANHC the best option in petrol A/T in that budget?

With my driving requirement in mind, does anyone thing I should chuck the idea of getting an A/T and go for a used Fiat Linea T-Jet instead? I have had a Punto before and the problem with T-Jet is that it has exactly the same interiors!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th April 2013 at 04:06.
Old 17th April 2013, 09:23   #7067
BHPian

Firstly, is it worth buying a Sep 2005 model used Honda City?

Secondly, what do you think can be the expected price for below specs?
Seller is quoting 4.35L in Bangalore.

Model: Honda City Gxi
Colour: Golden silverish
KMS: 66K
Owner: Single
Year: September 2005
All 2 L worth fittings were fitted at showroom and most of the fittings are from Honda
Old 17th April 2013, 09:42   #7068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
...Yes, indeed a steal. His father bought the car from one of his friend and deal just happened in the moment. He only came to know about the car, when she came home.
Unbelievable! The transaction is definitely not at Arm's Length price. Anyways glad that your friend was able to get such a deal.

Take a look at the going prices of the Fortuner from our very own TBHP Classifieds:

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-capture.png
Old 17th April 2013, 09:45   #7069
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatmakar View Post

All 2 L worth fittings were fitted at showroom and most of the fittings are from Honda
Seller deserves
For that kind of money you can get a Honda Civic in excellent condition.
akshay4587 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 11:04   #7070
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hello friends, this is not just a price check but this is also a used car suggestion query -

Now, my sister in law has just learnt driving and my family is planning to buy a used small car.
Hello Raj,
If you want a small car then, ANHC & Civic deletes itself out of the question. Nevertheless, I believe you should go for a sedan.

Quote:
I shortlisted a few cars like -

1) i10 A/T : Tall boys are good for the city, but I dont think they are fun to drive!

2) i20 1.4 A/T : Somehow, I dont really like the way the i20 looks.

3) Honda City (ANHC) A/T : Great engine, adequate power and paddle shifters! Honda reliability. Again, I dont like the way it looks, but it is better than the i20 atleast.

4) Honda Civic A/T : Great engine, good looks, spacious cabin and paddle shifters. But low ground clearance and very low seating, which is a problem for tall people like me and my brother.

Honda Civics are being sold for dirt cheap. Civics which has run 40-50k is being sold for 4-5 Lacs. But the car is now discontinued.

I can get good examples of i20 for 5 Lacs. But then if I invest about 50-60k more, I get ANHCs in similar condition.
One thing I forgot to mention is that the car should be mildly modifiable! I mean, a car which may look good with alloys and fatter rubber, because I will be doing that at the minimum.
Between the ANHC & Civic, I suggest the Civic.
Reason 1 - Even after 7 yrs in the market, the Civic looks way futuristic.

Reason 2 - Mod friendlier.

Reason 3 - One of my building fellow drives a Civic. He is 6'1. So I guess low seating should not be a problem. Also, you mentioned that the running will be low. For short distances, the Civic will be brilliant!!Do take a test drive, just to be sure.

Reason 4 - You can save a lot of money by buying 07-08 Civic rather than a 09 City. Use that money to modify the Civic.

Quote:
With my driving requirement in mind, does anyone thing I should chuck the idea of getting an A/T and go for a used Fiat Linea T-Jet instead? I have had a Punto before and the problem with T-Jet is that it has exactly the same interiors!
If I'm not mistaken, you were not too happy with the A$$ of Fiat.
My question - Why walk the same path, again?!
Also the Tjet has been recently discontinued. If you were not happy with non avaliablity of spares for your Punto, imagine the headache for a model like Tjet.

Regards,
Varun

Quote:

Hello RM,
The max that I would give for this car is 3.25L, even after considering that prices in the South are the highest in India

Regards,
Varun

Last edited by powertrain : 17th April 2013 at 11:12.
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 11:15   #7071
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Raj,

My suggestion - Go for Honda Civic. Thats it. The A/T Civic is a great car to drive & feel of luxury & safety is not available in any other car.

Well maintained 2007 / 2008 Honda Civic A/T are available between Rs. 4 to 5 lacs.

Quote:
Seller is quoting 4.35L in Bangalore. KMS: 66K
Hello Rajatmakar,

Frankly speaking I generally suggest to avoid used cars that are more than 5 / 6 years old. The car in question is almost 8 years old. Though it is Honda & one can be assured of its quality, I will not offer more than Rs. 3 lacs for this car.

The price of Rs. 4.35 lacs quoted by seller is very high & just let him know that one can buy a new Maruti Ritz in Rs. 5.5 lacs.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:40   #7072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
1 - 2L for a 2006 Cedia seems like an OK price. Although a mouth watering deal will be arounf the 1.6-1.75L mark. Remember that the Cedia is among the long list of duds from Mitsubishi. So haggle hard.
Wow ! these mitsus have really depreciated fast and hard ! My 2001 OHC 1.5 sold for 1.85l about 5 months back and i was the 2nd owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Anyone.

How much can I expect for a 1.2 Ford Figo , 2010, run 23k kms, well maintained in Bangalore?

Regards
Tharian - you should expect around 3.25L given its Bangalore but selling a petrol Ford would be a bit difficult. What variant is this ?
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:58   #7073
BHPian

Quote:
If you want a slushbox, go for the Civic or Corolla. Many examples in the market, both are reliable. The rear seat of Corolla isn't that low compared to the Civic, so I guess you won't face the problem. If a stick-shift will do, go for either the Cedia or T-Jet. However when I was in the market about 4-5 months back, couldn't find any well maintained Cedia's, so I assume they are rare to come by.
prateekm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 12:58   #7074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

Tharian - you should expect around 3.25L given its Bangalore but selling a petrol Ford would be a bit difficult. What variant is this ?
It is a Exi model which came with music sys back then. I am thinking of a price with the Evo alloys(5) and RRP fitted FFE and BMC Intake. I know I cannot add too much for these . I was thinking of the same as what you quoted without these extras.
Yes, selling a Ford Petrol and for a good price is difficult.
Old 17th April 2013, 13:14   #7075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Rajatmakar,

Frankly speaking I generally suggest to avoid used cars that are more than 5 / 6 years old. The car in question is almost 8 years old. Though it is Honda & one can be assured of its quality, I will not offer more than Rs. 3 lacs for this car.

The price of Rs. 4.35 lacs quoted by seller is very high & just let him know that one can buy a new Maruti Ritz in Rs. 5.5 lacs.

Thanks,
Thanks to you and others who responded. I saw this sale ad in my office portal and just wanted some quick feedback.

I have a 2006 Swift Zxi and considering either a swap to a used petrol sedan or even newer diesel ones like Amaze etc.
My usage is < 10K kms per year.

I intend to do some more analysis and then finalise.
Old 17th April 2013, 13:20   #7076
BANNED

Quote:

I sold a 67 K run Jan 2005 City last June for 3.25 Lacs. The seller is daydreaming and also tell him that any of the fittings won't fetch him any money! rather some of them may reduce the appeal or value of the car to some buyers
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2013, 14:33   #7077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Hello Raj,
If you want a small car then, ANHC & Civic deletes itself out of the question. Nevertheless, I believe you should go for a sedan.

Between the ANHC & Civic, I suggest the Civic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello Raj,

My suggestion - Go for Honda Civic. Thats it. The A/T Civic is a great car to drive & feel of luxury & safety is not available in any other car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
If you want a slushbox, go for the Civic or Corolla.
Thank you for your reply friends. Since everybody is unanimously suggesting the Civic, I have a few queries -

1) The road to my office is really poor, my Punto has scraped it's belly many times. Doesnt the Civic have a low GC issue?
2) I have heard that the seats of the Civic is very low set. My elderly father had a tough time getting in and out of the Punto.
3) The Civic is discontinued. Availability of parts in future?

Frankly, even I would like to get a Civic instead of the ANHC or i20, but for that price, the cars available in the market are atleast 6 to 7 years old. What about maintainence of these cars?

On the other hand, ANHCs are available for a premium but the cars are 3-4 years old.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 17th April 2013 at 14:34.
Old 17th April 2013, 16:25   #7078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply friends. Since everybody is unanimously suggesting the Civic, I have a few queries -
Hello Raj,

Please refer the below thread on Frankmehta's review & experience on recently purchased 2007 Civic A/T.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...matic-cng.html

The car (Civic) was 5 years old & had already done 41000 when he purchase it last year. Currently he drives the Car 60+ kms everyday & mentions that his (Civic) driving time is best time of the day.

Further you may contact T-BHPian - Jatinpatel who is a very happy & proud owner on 2007 Civic.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2013, 14:40   #7079
BHPian

Any idea of what price can be paid for a Mahindra MM550 army auctioned vehicle? There is a guy quoting 1.5 Lakh for 2001/2002 MM550, unregistered but he will be getting it registered. The vehicle is just as you can expect out of an auction, good body, but mechanicals and cosmetics need to be done up. Is 1.5 Lakh a fair value for such vehicle provided papers are clear?
Old 18th April 2013, 14:56   #7080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfvinay View Post
Any idea of what price can be paid for a Mahindra MM550 army auctioned vehicle?
Hello Vinay,
Now this is one instance where it is very, very difficult to predict a fair price. It all depends on the condition of the jeep. Since you mentioned that the mechanicals and cosmetics need to be done up, I doubt if it's wise to spend 1.5L on just the body & chassis. Maybe max 1L. I suggest you take pics of the jeep & send it to jeep gurus like harjeev, Samurai, 4*4 addict,Tejas, GTO, wandernomad, ranjith or UBS Sir. Not to forget BD Sir!!

They can give you advice like none other. Talk to them and take a call accordingly.

Regards,
Varun
powertrain is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks