Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2013, 13:29   #8341
Senior - BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
True value prices are always high but this is a new high !
Quote:
Originally Posted by VishnuNarayanan View Post
I am also of the opinion that True Value is trying to make exorbiant profits by taking advantage of the trust Indians have in the brand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Even if you are buying the car in South India (with higher taxes IMO), you are almost paying 1.5 times the correct market value of the car. These days even True Value outlets are not reliable...
This is definitely a new high and this is exactly why people all say in unison that Maruti cars have good resale value.
One of the main reasons is that as people upgrade their cars the dealers offer good offers and exchange bonus and try to cash in on the high demand that exists for used cars especially Maruti make.
Even some Maruti cars are not favourites with the buyers. Estilos are not in great demand. I saw a 2006 Estilo on offer for Rs 1.95L
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
2006 Santro Xing is available for around 1L in NCR, why go for even an older model of Alto for 1.4 L?
In Kerala, the asking rate of similar models of Santro Xing is in the region of Rs 2.2L.

Last edited by rajeev k : 26th October 2013 at 13:33.
Old 26th October 2013, 13:32   #8342
Senior - BHPian

Team! Need help to evaluate a Ford ikon tdci 2010 model, run 79k km. This is in Coimbatore.
Old 26th October 2013, 13:37   #8343
Senior - BHPian

Hi @rajeev k

I believe when you have company owned second hand market this is bound to happen (also refer Toyota's case). The cars are good but the company is able to raise the market value of the cars because of their support & fleecing (at times). One has to be careful how to spend wisely rather than follow the herd &/ or perceptions.

BTW the 7 years old Estilo @ Rs.1.95 is again daylight robbery for a model that's is discontinued.

I, however, hope we are not going off topic with this discussion.
Old 26th October 2013, 14:32   #8344
BHPian

Guys, i am looking at the used market to buy a i10 Kappa2 Automatic. Kappa2 was launched is 2010. So preferably 2010 or later model.
Would it be a good idea to get a used Automatic? would it cost a lot to maintain/service?

What should be a good price to look for? Carwale says 3.5L for a car in good condition, but do not see any listing below 4L
Old 26th October 2013, 14:36   #8345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
D mode blinking issue is nothing but the gearbox problem. While driving in automode, the D light will start blinking which results in gear changes abruptly, example :from 5th gear to 3rd, or 2nd to 4th with huge jerk. My vehicle refused to reverse though I engage in reverse mode. Imagine that you are in dense traffic, and negotiating a U turn, and car won't reverse!!! I literally had to push back getting down. Google and find more trouble this issue can give.
Does this problem exist in Hyundai Automatics too?
Old 26th October 2013, 14:42   #8346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katpasin View Post
would it cost a lot to maintain/service?
I can tell that there is no extra cost to servicing or maintaining the automatic. I use a same.

No not seen that D mode blinking issue in any of my automatic cars till now...2 Hyundai, 1 Honda & 1 Maruti (the Maruti 800 was quite pathetic though with other issues like a tendency for the Torque convertor blades to break! But it was an ancient model too)

Last edited by anks_at : 26th October 2013 at 14:50.
Old 26th October 2013, 15:43   #8347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
After a long long time seing a Safari in this thread ! Very good deal when you compare at what price a Scorpio Sle at similar vintage would go at
Thanks for the comforting words.
Actually, I narrowly missed a Nov2010 Vx at about 7.5 Lakhs,in Feb 2013, due to my bad negotiation skills.I ended cursing myself .This time I did not want to miss this deal. This piece had low running, my favorite color( pearl White),Extended warranty,Good upkeep, so grabbed this Safari at seller's quote . It had to be Safari, nothing else would do.
Regards,
Abhay.
Old 26th October 2013, 16:36   #8348

Quote:
I would suggest look out patiently for both cars models, with lesser mileage & slightly older model, which you can buy cheap & modify as per your whims with the budget you have.

Best of luck with your search .
Thanks CARDEEP.. I came across a seller, lady driven 2008 WagonR which has run 30k KM with plush interiors, and she is quoting 2.7 lacs. I am thinking of negotiating on this one. I am yet to inspect the car. Have arranged a Maruti mechanic to come along for inspection at her convenience. Suggestions?
Old 26th October 2013, 17:05   #8349
BHPian

Bhpians
One query. I have seen a classified online for Palio 1.6, Stile, 2007 year, just 25000. When I enquired at Fiat ass they informed it was last serviced at ASS in January 2011 at 21000 odo reading paid service. Yet to see the car or talk to owner. This shall be My first car.
Can less driven cars pose problems.
What should be checked in this case.
Old 26th October 2013, 17:15   #8350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Can less driven cars pose problems.
What should be checked in this case.
Yes, less driven cars can be problematic unless the service has still been done regularly. Check & verify the service history for sure.
At the minimum the batteries can be in a bad condition. The tyres may have dead spots/hard spots (I m not sure what they call it exactly), & things like brakes can be rusted etc. Check things like door hinges for rusting, noises etc.
If the owner skimped on replacing engine oil timely, despite less use, the engine might not be in a great condition too.
I am sure others here will give you a better answer, but yes be careful of buying a less used car unless the owner has still maintained it properly. If its properly serviced & maintained then its still good.

In the car you mention above - last service Jan 2011 (almost 3 years!), doesnt sound good!

Last edited by anks_at : 26th October 2013 at 17:16.
Old 26th October 2013, 17:38   #8351
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
A 2003 Alto Lxi got sold at Rs1.5 lakhs yesterday at a True value outlet, which I tried for Rs 1.4 Lakhs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Is this for real?
I won't pay more than 45-50K for a 10 year old alto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Doesn't make sense. I wonder on what basis True Value and others quote such prices.
Insane decision on the part of the buyer. For a comparison sake my 2002 LAncer SFXI would not fetch even a Lac perhaps today. What its got over the Alto:
1. 1.5L Engine
2. Amazing handling and grip.
3. Electrically foldable and adjustable mirrors.
4. Alloys.
5. Obviously much more spacious.
Can go on and on.

No way someone can pay 1.5L for a 10 year old Alto.
Old 26th October 2013, 17:43   #8352
BHPian

Quote:

Buying an automatic car from used car market increases the risk by 100 percent. New cars atleast have warranty to take care of lemons, but in used market no such assurances. It's good as long as car works fine, in my case the car was a lemon with no warranty.
If you like automatic and plan to keep for long time, go for new vehicle.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:11   #8353
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by harishpr View Post
Buying an automatic car from used car market increases the risk by 100 percent. New cars atleast have warranty to take care of lemons, but in used market no such assurances. It's good as long as car works fine, in my case the car was a lemon with no warranty.
If you like automatic and plan to keep for long time, go for new vehicle.
That is not an issue with Automatics per se, it is an issue with any used car. Good used cars (properly serviced/maintained) are great VFM & a new car will more likely be more reliable (mostly). However, keeping all constraints that we have to consider during our purchases, both have their advantages.
Check the service history thoroughly, contact the service garage too. A lemon will probably have a substantial "extra" service history. With a new car you will just have to risk it as much as with a used car regarding having a manufacturing defect. Obviously, you have to be careful when getting a used car, but that pays.
Old 26th October 2013, 18:40   #8354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniRider View Post
Thanks CARDEEP.. I came across a seller, lady driven 2008 WagonR which has run 30k KM with plush interiors, and she is quoting 2.7 lacs. I am thinking of negotiating on this one. I am yet to inspect the car. Have arranged a Maruti mechanic to come along for inspection at her convenience. Suggestions?
Bangalore prices are higher than Delhi-NCR. However, I am not sure whether this is the correct price for this car... to be honest I feel it is bit higher than what I would pay in in Delhi-NCR. Do check the used valuator on Carwale & other websites or seek help any TBHP-ian from Bangalore to make sure you pay the just money for your (future) car.

PS : Please refer the below link which says Rs.2.25 lacs is the best quote for this car:

http://www.carwale.com/used/CarValua...=25884852&vt=1

Last edited by CARDEEP : 26th October 2013 at 18:47.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2013, 18:47   #8355

Quote:
Bangalore prices are higher than Delhi-NCR. However, I am not sure whether this is the correct price for this car... to be honest I feel it is bit higher than what I would pay in in Delhi-NCR. Do check the used valuator on Carwale & other websites or seek help any TBHP-ian from Bangalore to make sure you pay the just money for your (future) car.

I don't know how the depreciation works Bangalore versus Delhi-NCR, but I do know that Bangalore cars are always priced more in this part of the world. I feel 2.3-2.4 lacs is a good price, but I am not sure the car owner would agree. I will see how the negotiations go. Thanks CARDEEP

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks