Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:21   #9106
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi guys, Looking for a learner car for wife. Need quick advice on the following deal. 2005 Zen Lxi (Tiger Model) 26150 kms run, with following features - Factory fitted Pioneer stereo music system - Air-conditioning - Power windows/steering. - All tyres in excellent condition - central locking What will be a fair price for the same??
Individual seller/ Dealer?
And what about the number of owners?

Please verify the service history if the car is not known to you. 240 kms per month for 9 years sounds very less.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:42   #9107
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Hello mates !

After reading numerous threads on this forum, i am inclined towards buying a pre-worshipped car. Currently, i dont have a parking space in my society and i will use the car only for weekends driving around the city. This will be my first car.

I would like to keep the car for around 3-4 years hence i believe i should buy a decent one. Fixed a budget of around 2 to 2.5 lacs for this.

Came across this and need your suggestions if the price is right:

Hyundai i10 Magna
Year: 2011 Model (Facelifted one)
Odo reading: 20K Kms
Dealer quote: 3.4 Lacs

Thanks in advance.
Old 7th April 2014, 16:57   #9108
BHPian

Gentlemen,

The wife wants to learn driving, and has started hinting towards getting a second car.

So rather than blow money on a new car, I think it makes sense to get a used car, get her to practice on it, and then move on to a better car.

So, the hunt is on to find a used car for her. She has no clue about how to drive, be it manual or automatic. The last time she drove something on the streets, she was in kindergarten .

What would the junta here recommend for such a person? Manual or auto?

Thanks in advance, cheers!
Old 7th April 2014, 17:25   #9109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
To master the nuances of driving and to enjoy its fun, may I suggest the MT.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:25   #9110
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,

The wife wants to learn driving, and has started hinting towards getting a second car.

So rather than blow money on a new car, I think it makes sense to get a used car, get her to practice on it, and then move on to a better car.

So, the hunt is on to find a used car for her. She has no clue about how to drive, be it manual or automatic. The last time she drove something on the streets, she was in kindergarten .

Auto will definitely be easier to learn, but I would say go for manual. Shifting from Manual to Auto would be easy, but learning in an auto car, would make her completely uncomfortable in manual.
ank.nsit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:33   #9111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Best will be to enroll her into a training class for around Rs.3000, and see whether she can drive MT. If she can, then you can think of buying a beater car. If she is not able to handle gears, then the beater car will gather dust, and you will think that you'd better have bought an Automatic car.

So first test on learning car whether she is comfortable with the stick, then decide.
ani_meher is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 17:34   #9112
Senior - BHPian

Please let her learn on a stick shift. If at a later point for whatever reason she wishes to switch to an automatic transmission, that's alright. Don't let her baby steps be with an automatic, she needs to know how to drive a manual as well.

edit: why do you need to buy a car for her to learn? Sign her up for a driving school and let her scratch and dent their cars up if she has to
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 19:08   #9113
BHPian

Quote:
Gentlemen,
Would recommend manual since:

1) Like mentioned above, it's much easier switching from manual to auto any time. For anyone with age on his/her side, manual should the preferred while learning to drive.
2) You can get a beater car like 800 or zen for peanuts, and not think twice of it while selling it again once the purpose is served. Locating an automatic will be tough, disposing it off might be even more of a headache.

However if she eventually says that she hates driving just due to frequent gear changes (have observed a lot of ladies having this issue), then better get an auto
avisidhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 21:09   #9114
BHPian

Quote:

The wife wants to learn driving
Well, you and i are on the same boat, literally.
My wife also wants to learn driving and i have enrolled her on a motor training school. Why buy a car when someone else is ready to risk their car for a meagre amount of money you pay as coaching fees?

Quote:
Manual or auto?
Manual for sure. Switching from Manual to Auto might be easier. My wife finds the gear/clutch combination challenging but i have made it clear that she has to learn the manual way. Initially, i noticed she used the clutch only when changing gears. The major portion of the clutch/break combo was handled by the instructor as wife was only focusing on accelerator
skyrocket003 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 21:44   #9115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
To master the nuances of driving and to enjoy its fun, may I suggest the MT.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Auto will definitely be easier to learn, but I would say go for manual. Shifting from Manual to Auto would be easy, but learning in an auto car, would make her completely uncomfortable in manual.
Thanks mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Best will be to enroll her into a training class for around Rs.3000, and see whether she can drive MT. If she can, then you can think of buying a beater car. If she is not able to handle gears, then the beater car will gather dust, and you will think that you'd better have bought an Automatic car.

So first test on learning car whether she is comfortable with the stick, then decide.
Thanks for the suggestion mate! That definitely makes a lotta sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Please let her learn on a stick shift. If at a later point for whatever reason she wishes to switch to an automatic transmission, that's alright. Don't let her baby steps be with an automatic, she needs to know how to drive a manual as well.

edit: why do you need to buy a car for her to learn? Sign her up for a driving school and let her scratch and dent their cars up if she has to
Lol, thanks mate.
She is quite apprehensive about learning from someone else other than me.
Although, she is positive about me being in the car with her when she learns how to drive.
But, she doesn't want to use our car to learn. Sometimes the logic of it all boggles the mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Would recommend manual since:

1) Like mentioned above, it's much easier switching from manual to auto any time. For anyone with age on his/her side, manual should the preferred while learning to drive.
2) You can get a beater car like 800 or zen for peanuts, and not think twice of it while selling it again once the purpose is served. Locating an automatic will be tough, disposing it off might be even more of a headache.

However if she eventually says that she hates driving just due to frequent gear changes (have observed a lot of ladies having this issue), then better get an auto
Thanks mate! Honestly, one day I tried to explain the logic of changing gears in a car. The only thing she could say was - "Sounds Exhausting! Why would you even invent something like that!?"

Looks like a driving school is the first step for us. Let's see how things get on. Thank you all for the suggestions. For now, we will be concentrating on getting the basics of it all nailed down. Will consider a beater M/T after that.
Old 9th April 2014, 10:30   #9116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Hi guys,

Looking for a learner car for wife. Need quick advice on the following deal.

2005 Zen Lxi (Tiger Model)
26150 kms run, with following features
- Factory fitted Pioneer stereo music system
- Air-conditioning
- Power windows/steering.
- All tyres in excellent condition
- central locking

What will be a fair price for the same??
Hello guys,

Closed the deal at 82000

The car was 5th owner (with 3 transfers within the family as the owners were in and out of India). The last owner had the car for close to three years. Was not very keen after I heard 5th owner but then managed to get a good deal and the owner seemed genuine. Calculation at the back of my mind was to retain the car for atleast an year and trade off for a new hatchback with good exchange offer so that i fetch atleast 60000 INR.

Let me know your views on the same.
Old 9th April 2014, 11:38   #9117
Senior - BHPian

^^^ As you have closed the deal, my views would be: All the best, enjoy your purchase.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:38   #9118
BHPian

One of my colleague is looking to purchase used Ford Fiesta SXi 2010 (Petrol).

Olx link

The deal is almost finalized for <5L
Initial ask: 5.75L

The car has done about 23,000 kms.

Very minor dents / scratches (which is expected in Bangalore traffic)

Couple things,
1. As per RC, he is the 2nd owner.
He has purchased via company lease and recently transferred on his name. Technically he is the 1st owner. But on papers he is the 2nd owner.

Will this be a problem? As my colleague will be 3rd owner.

2. There was been a Insurance claim for break-lights and rear bumper replacement (~6,000) and NCB is 20%.
Trying to get more details on the repair done.

I did TD, could not find any problem with the car.
Ran smooth, not noise. Did not find any

Wanted to check if this is a good buy?

Anything else to check?
Attached Thumbnails
The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-1.jpg  

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-2.jpg  

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-3.jpg  

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-4.jpg  

Old 9th April 2014, 12:54   #9119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500ContyCruiser View Post
One of my colleague is looking to purchase used Ford Fiesta SXi 2010 (Petrol).

Olx link

The deal is almost finalized for <5L
Initial ask: 5.75L

The car has done about 23,000 kms.

Very minor dents / scratches (which is expected in Bangalore traffic)

Couple things,
1. As per RC, he is the 2nd owner.
He has purchased via company lease and recently transferred on his name. Technically he is the 1st owner. But on papers he is the 2nd owner.

Will this be a problem? As my colleague will be 3rd owner.

2. There was been a Insurance claim for break-lights and rear bumper replacement (~6,000) and NCB is 20%.
Trying to get more details on the repair done.

I did TD, could not find any problem with the car.
Ran smooth, not noise. Did not find any

Wanted to check if this is a good buy?

Anything else to check?
A good buy for 3.5-4L max.
Not a good deal at close to 5L.
Old 9th April 2014, 12:54   #9120
Senior - BHPian

Whenever i check used cars on any website, i hardly find any Ertiga's there. Looks like people are very happy with it and don't want to sell it. I know its not in the market for very long time, still it is very difficult to find used Ertiga for sure.

Any comments?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks