Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 22:36   #9526
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread. (Online tool : Page 1)

Dear Forum Members,

I have set my eyes on a pre-owned Tata safari storme. I am yet to figure out the correct/optimum price for this vehicle. The detail of vehicle are :

Model: Tata safari Storme EX
Odo reading : 25000
Insurance: free for three years (A TATA offer)
Warranty: 3+1 extended
extra: Reverse parking cam & alloys. (installed from ASS while getting the car)

Please help in ascertaining the fair price of this vehicle.

Last edited by Wireless : 12th July 2014 at 22:37. Reason: spelling errors :P
Old 12th July 2014, 22:41   #9527
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireless View Post
Dear Forum Members,

I have set my eyes on a pre-owned Tata safari storme. I am yet to figure out the correct/optimum price for this vehicle. The detail of vehicle are :

Anything under 5 lakhs is a good deal for the car. Try to close it at 4.5 lakhs given that there are hardly any Safari's being sold today and its such an old model (meaning Safari as a car in various avatars has been there forever).
Old 12th July 2014, 23:00   #9528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post
Anything under 5 lakhs is a good deal for the car. Try to close it at 4.5 lakhs given that there are hardly any Safari's being sold today and its such an old model (meaning Safari as a car in various avatars has been there forever).
Isnt 4.5 lakhs a bit too low for a 7-8 month old storme even by Delhi standards or am I missing something here?
Old 12th July 2014, 23:14   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Dear Forum Members,

10 lakhs looks to be a good price considering it would have cost around 14 lakhs when new. You may up to 11-11.5 if the vehicle is very well maintained. But start negotiations from 10 lakhs. Best of luck for the car.
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2014, 23:23   #9530
BHPian

I am unable to understand. See the last 3-4 comments and for the same car, 2 suggestions, one for 5 and other for 10? What does team-bhp price calculator says? Or the carwale's?
Old 13th July 2014, 00:27   #9531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
I am unable to understand. See the last 3-4 comments and for the same car, 2 suggestions, one for 5 and other for 10? What does team-bhp price calculator says? Or the carwale's?
Rest assured, there really is no way you can manage a less than 1 year old Storme EX for 4.5-5!Unless there is some defect in papers/mechanical defect etc.
Old 13th July 2014, 00:40   #9532
BANNED

Quote:

Its a Safari Storme, not the normal one. Plus its just 8 months old.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 03:26   #9533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
Its a Safari Storme, not the normal one. Plus its just 8 months old.
Imho the car takes the most depreciation hit in the first year. This is because the first years sales are generally distress sales.

In any case the price I quoted was based on the following:

1. Safari is nearing an end in its lifecycle as a model with original Safari based vehicle launched in 1998. There have been changes since, but overall shell remains more or less the same.

2. Over 15% dip in overall Safari numbers if you look on the year on year numbers

3. Tata after sales support is not highly rated. From what I have read this car develops rattles etc.

4. Delhi resale market/prices not as high as South.

5. Brand new Duster launched at 8.xx ex-showroom.

All things considered this car would not move quickly off the shelf. I have seen cars quoted by folks for 15 lakhs at auto portals selling for 10-11 lakhs. I think some Safari owners might have found offence (inadvertently) by my post, my apologies for that, but the intention is just to get you a good deal and not bring the car down at all. 5-6 lakhs tops is what the price should be depending on condition of the car and reason for sale.
aseem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 03:36   #9534
BANNED

But the Storme is based on the all new X2 architecture, and its basically an all new car.
HyperRetard is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 05:21   #9535
BHPian

Quote:
Imho the car takes the most depreciation hit in the first year. This is because the first years sales are generally distress sales.

In any case the price I quoted was based on the following:

1. Safari is nearing an end in its lifecycle as a model with original Safari based vehicle launched in 1998. There have been changes since, but overall shell remains more or less the same.

2. Over 15% dip in overall Safari numbers if you look on the year on year numbers

3. Tata after sales support is not highly rated. From what I have read this car develops rattles etc.

4. Delhi resale market/prices not as high as South.

5. Brand new Duster launched at 8.xx ex-showroom.

All things considered this car would not move quickly off the shelf. I have seen cars quoted by folks for 15 lakhs at auto portals selling for 10-11 lakhs. I think some Safari owners might have found offence (inadvertently) by my post, my apologies for that, but the intention is just to get you a good deal and not bring the car down at all. 5-6 lakhs tops is what the price should be depending on condition of the car and reason for sale.
The safari is a pretty capable car and though I own a fortuner (didn't trust reliability of XUV and Safari) I still wont say that a very comfortable with good ride and handling SUV (after the XM2) launched a couple of years back will also retain 33% of its price after 8months and 25k on the ODO. Cars normally loose around 15% of their value in the first year and that brings us in the 10-11 lakh ball park. Lower resale rates are mainly due to lower taxes in NCR where cars itself are sold at a lower price. Percentage wise its the same. Maybe tanveer can comment more on this since he owns a safari and has test driven the storme extensively.
Old 13th July 2014, 08:23   #9536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
The safari is a pretty capable car and though I own a fortuner (didn't trust reliability of XUV and Safari) I still wont say that a very comfortable with good ride and handling SUV (after the XM2) launched a couple of years back will also retain 33% of its price after 8months and 25k on the ODO. Cars normally loose around 15% of their value in the first year and that brings us in the 10-11 lakh ball park. Lower resale rates are mainly due to lower taxes in NCR where cars itself are sold at a lower price. Percentage wise its the same. Maybe tanveer can comment more on this since he owns a safari and has test driven the storme extensively.
Actually 10-15% depreciation is extremely low as the cost of used car car loans are 14-15% as opposed to new cars which can be had for 11%. So it would make no sense to buy a used car being 2nd owner and having almost same EMI. Plus I do feel based on my experience that Delhi has far lower resale value then south and I am factoring original car cost when I say this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRetard View Post
But the Storme is based on the all new X2 architecture, and its basically an all new car.
XUV is an all new car. But calling zillion iterations of Scorpio or Safari all new is really a stretch of imagination. Heavily tweeked Yes!

Last edited by Stratos : 15th July 2014 at 10:06.
Old 13th July 2014, 10:22   #9537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ha ha why not ask for free and if getting one for free then ask for two.

Buddy its a 14 lakh car with 3 year warranty remaining and just 16% of warrantied engine life done.

For 5 lakhs you can get 2009 VTT Dicor and not Storme.

About the initial sales Safaris always sold 1000 -1200 per month those who want one will never look at anything else and those who don't want can never be convinced to buy one.

I think max 25% of depression in first year is max to expect for this.

Btw only thing old in storme is body shell and engine so yes not new but heavily tweaked.

Last edited by amitk26 : 13th July 2014 at 10:24.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2014, 12:25   #9538
BHPian

For safari Storme 2013 model even our Team BHP calculator (which most agree that shows prices heavily on lower side) is showing 7.33 to 7.88 (for buyer). carwale's calculator is showing- 9.3L(from dealer) & 9.17L (from individual)..

I am greatly confused. So need you help..

Last edited by Wireless : 13th July 2014 at 12:33. Reason: adding information.
Old 13th July 2014, 12:45   #9539
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For safari Storme 2013 model even our Team BHP calculator (which most agree that shows prices heavily on lower side) is showing 7.33 to 7.88 (for buyer). carwale's calculator is showing- 9.3L(from dealer) & 9.17L (from individual)..

I am greatly confused. So need you help..
Well the vehicle is really very good. If you compare or to what you need to pay for new vehicle. I feel carwale valuation is more realistic.

While discounting Safari's people generally get influenced by pricing of used TCIC which sells for approx 2 lakhs but then it is 4 generation old vehicle.
Old 13th July 2014, 14:05   #9540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wireless - what's the seller quoting ? Since its a new product I'm not sure what would be the best depreciation % to be applied but going by the reasonable demand for the Storme and no major issues reported, assuming 20% would be fair. Its a plus that the car has alloys as well.

I almost thought I had bumped into the Official jokes thread when I saw a few posts above !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks