Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 14:02   #11836
BHPian

re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger View Post
Hi Hserus,

Do you have any idea about the procedure being followed by airport custom authority ? They are asking me to credit a certain amount as a security token.

It will be deducted from the final amount, If I decided to go ahead or else it will be refunded back.

Any pointers would be really helpful ? Planning to check out the car today evening.

Thanks
Just walk away! Its a scam.

You can find such fraudulent ads for embassy/airport vehicles all over olx.
Old 17th February 2017, 17:55   #11837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Never give any money as 'security token' for checking out the car. This amount is security from what?

Surely smells like a scam here.
It's mentioned that the small security deposit is to be paid post TD of the car and not for the TD. They just asked copies of his personal documents for issue of the pass.
I am not sure if car is kept inside. Oh yes I am sure that the car is not of any Pilot's as they do park the cars in special parking spots alongside normal parking areas as per my knowledge and not alongside aircrafts inside.
But its better you try contacting them for more details, pictures if the car
Old 17th February 2017, 20:46   #11838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
It's mentioned that the small security deposit is to be paid post TD of the car and not for the TD. They just asked copies of his personal documents for issue of the pass.
Oh, sorry. I didn't read that. Where did you find that the deposit is to be paid post the test drive of the car?

And, after the test drive, the security deposit is for what?
Old 18th February 2017, 07:37   #11839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
Oh, sorry. I didn't read that. Where did you find that the deposit is to be paid post the test drive of the car?

And, after the test drive, the security deposit is for what?
That is entirely nonsense and if you give a fraudster a copy of your ID proofs god knows what nefarious use he will make of it. You might end up losing more than that security deposit.
Old 18th February 2017, 07:44   #11840
BHPian

A friend while upgrading from Alto 800 was quoted 1.5L from Nexa guys. I suggested him to check elsewhere, we made an appointment with Cars24 and after filling the details got an estimate of 141000-176000. Upon, actually visiting their outlet, and after 2 hours minimum(their 'we buy any car in 30 mins is pure BS),they quoted 139000 saying this is the best they could get.

Finally, the next day we went to a local dealer, and sold it off for 165000. This guy instantly paid 20k cash and rushed down to the bank for making the transfer for another 145000. The whole process was over in an hour.

Lesson learnt- Never ever blindly trust your sales adviser when exchanging your car, and always get a couple of more quotes fro the market before finalizing.
Old 18th February 2017, 23:59   #11841
BANNED

What can I expect for a december 2010 Chevy Spark 1.0 PS (has AC and Power steering)? It has done about 28,000 kms and the exteriors are in a decent condition. Just had a new clutch put into it. Wondering how much I can get if I sell it off.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 01:47   #11842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
What can I expect for a december 2010 Chevy Spark 1.0 PS (has AC and Power steering)? It has done about 28,000 kms and the exteriors are in a decent condition. Just had a new clutch put into it. Wondering how much I can get if I sell it off.

Thanks
If you put in all the effort to get a new clutch why do you want to sell it off now? It is a very lightly used car and should have quite a lot of life left in it.
Old 19th February 2017, 02:55   #11843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
If you put in all the effort to get a new clutch why do you want to sell it off now? It is a very lightly used car and should have quite a lot of life left in it.
It's over 6 years now and the reliability usually just goes downhill from this time, by my experience. And also more interested in upgrading to something safer.

Can hold on to it upto an year and a half more, but I'm worried if I wait that long the residual value would be too low (close to 8 years old at that point).
Would love to get other point of views on this.

P.S. Yes I know GTO's 5 year old car, sell or keep thread. Just want to see how it holds for cars with not so great resale values, if somebody has had any experience.

Cheers
Old 19th February 2017, 04:39   #11844
Senior - BHPian

The resale value for a 6 year old beat is already disgustingly low. Use it for as long as it lasts, and then sell it for what you get would be the best value for money. It is a perfectly good car if driven within the city - doesn't react well to clutch riding, rough driving etc of course but that's about it.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 09:03   #11845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The resale value for a 6 year old beat is already disgustingly low. Use it for as long as it lasts, and then sell it for what you get would be the best value for money. It is a perfectly good car if driven within the city - doesn't react well to clutch riding, rough driving etc of course but that's about it.
It's a Chevy spark and not beat so the resale will be even lower. I think you should expect only around 1L or maybe 10-20k more considering the model is now discontinued and no one seems to want to buy a Chevy. 28k and 6years is too less for a car to become unreliable and should be retained as a beater car. If you can find parking space then better buy something safer for the longer runs and the beat for the shorter runs. I personally use a 10 year old wagon r for local dilshad garden runs and my jazz for trips to central delhi or home.
Old 19th February 2017, 09:24   #11846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's over 6 years now and the reliability usually just goes downhill from this time, by my experience. And also more interested in upgrading to something safer.

Can hold on to it upto an year and a half more, but I'm worried if I wait that long the residual value would be too low (close to 8 years old at that point).
Would love to get other point of views on this.

P.S. Yes I know GTO's 5 year old car, sell or keep thread. Just want to see how it holds for cars with not so great resale values, if somebody has had any experience.

Cheers
I have a 2009 Chevy Spark and current ODO reading is ~92000KM. Front suspension components were replaced during 80000 service (total bill came around 17K). As others suggested keep the car as long as you can unless you are doing frequent highway runs. You may get around 1.2-1.5 Lakhs if you sell it.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2017, 11:13   #11847
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
It's a Chevy spark and not beat so the resale will be even lower. I think you should expect only around 1L or maybe 10-20k more considering the model is now discontinued and no one seems to want to buy a Chevy. 28k and 6years is too less for a car to become unreliable and should be retained as a beater car. If you can find parking space then better buy something safer for the longer runs and the beat for the shorter runs. I personally use a 10 year old wagon r for local dilshad garden runs and my jazz for trips to central delhi or home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
I have a 2009 Chevy Spark and current ODO reading is ~92000KM. Front suspension components were replaced during 80000 service (total bill came around 17K). As others suggested keep the car as long as you can unless you are doing frequent highway runs. You may get around 1.2-1.5 Lakhs if you sell it.
Thanks for the input. Don't have extra space for another car ,neither college nor at home so would most likely keep the Spark as is for the time being. Makes sense as 90 percent of the running is between ITO and CP in delhi
Old 19th February 2017, 11:42   #11848
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Don't have extra space for another car ,neither college nor at home so would most likely keep the Spark as is for the time being. Makes sense as 90 percent of the running is between ITO and CP in delhi
That's a good idea. A new car at this time is a waste. Better buy it once you enter PG. If all goes well that should be less than 2 years away. Lot changes in the indian car scene in 2 years and you can upgrade to a higher segment than now. If bored you can get yourself a new ICE to keep you interested in the car.
Old 19th February 2017, 11:59   #11849
BHPian

In the light of the NGT diesel ban, does the logic of retaining car beyond 5 yr mark get altered? I mean the resale of the 5 year old car does get hit badly as its residual life to the buyer is capped at 5 years (without re registration/NOC). ? So wouldnt it make sense to sell it at say 5 years , than after 7 years (leavng only 3 years for the buyer)?

Where does the residual value curve flatten out?
Old 19th February 2017, 12:15   #11850
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
That's a good idea. A new car at this time is a waste. Better buy it once you enter PG. If all goes well that should be less than 2 years away. Lot changes in the indian car scene in 2 years and you can upgrade to a higher segment than now. If bored you can get yourself a new ICE to keep you interested in the car.
Its not really my car! Its my sister's. ICE is an interesting option but with most models now coming with factory fit systems, i won't be able to move it to a new car. BTW, Android Auto on any phone is the best ICE! voice commands and controls right from your smartwatch. I love that. And even the most basic Android auto HUs are about 25k. Would just keep the car till it feels like an upgrade is needed (At this time its just a "want").
Yeah definitely looking to get a car once I get the elusive PG

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigneshkumar31 View Post
In the light of the NGT diesel ban, does the logic of retaining car beyond 5 yr mark get altered? I mean the resale of the 5 year old car does get hit badly as its residual life to the buyer is capped at 5 years (without re registration/NOC). ? So wouldnt it make sense to sell it at say 5 years , than after 7 years (leavng only 3 years for the buyer)?

Where does the residual value curve flatten out?
It defintely does change. Your point is my exact opinion too, add to it that diesels are more expensive to maintain and usually have high mileage on them. 5 yr selling is a better option if you are restricted to selling in your state only.
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks