Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2019, 11:45   #13201
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
My only question is why? Why not a used WagonR? 3-4yrs is a pretty long time so might as well spend a bit more and get something else that has seen less miles, is a petrol probably, can be kept longer if you change your mind and not defunct. I would probably not pay more than a 75k for it and that's purely based on my gut feel. I sold my well maintained Esteem that had half the miles on it for 2lacs.
Its a Tier-3 city. I am getting offers for decently maintained 2011 Ford Fiesta Diesel for 2.5 lacs, 2012 Arrow shot Honda city for 3 lac apx, and a 2012 Ritz/WagonR for 4 lacs. All about 80k kms run. Maruti's Resale value is way too high here, and not in a mood to splurge more.
Old 15th June 2019, 14:56   #13202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasunBannerjee View Post
Its a Tier-3 city.
If your budget is limited, I don't see any harm in going for the Beat. You have a primary car and this can perfectly serve as a backup for the next 4 years and 20k kms.

Keep in mind that although you'll be able to trust the vehicle as it belongs to a known person but for a third person, this car has way too many negatives - discontinued brand, questionable service availability, mediocre reliability record, diesel vehicle, done 1 lakh kms.

Chances are that it will take months to find a buyer directly. Make this fact known to the seller.

As for the price, accompany the seller and get the car valuated at 3-4 used car dealers. Tell him/her that you'll pay around 10k over the avg price offered by dealers. That's how it works here when cars are traded between family/friends/known people. This way none of you will feel shortchanged after the deal.
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th June 2019, 16:01   #13203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post

As for the price, accompany the seller and get the car valuated at 3-4 used car dealers. Tell him/her that you'll pay around 10k over the avg price offered by dealers. That's how it works here when cars are traded between family/friends/known people. This way none of you will feel shortchanged after the deal.
That is a really good advice. Thanks a lot.
Old 18th June 2019, 00:21   #13204
BHPian

Hi guys, I wanted some help.

Looking to purchase a June end 2010 Honda City top model with new tyres and battery. The car has ~70k on the odo. The car looks to be in a decent condition.

The owner is asking for 2.55L, slightly negotiable. Is this a good deal? What would be a fair price to pay for the car?
Old 18th June 2019, 04:38   #13205
BHPian

Hello All,

Please assist me on the below.

I am currently looking to buy a 2011 Dec make, TATA Indigo eCS (Top end Model VX ABS Diesel). The owner is asking 2.25L. One of my friend suggests me bargain the price to as low as 1.90L. Is this a good price for the car on offer?
Old 18th June 2019, 05:15   #13206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Hello All,

I am currently looking to buy a 2011 Dec make, TATA Indigo eCS (Top end Model VX ABS Diesel). The owner is asking 2.25L. One of my friend suggests me bargain the price to as low as 1.90L. Is this a good price for the car on offer?
eCS means the primitive indirect injection engine. Your friend is right. Start from 1.80.
Swapnil4585 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 08:53   #13207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
The owner is asking for 2.55L, slightly negotiable. Is this a good deal? What would be a fair price to pay for the car?
I think you've found a good deal there. 2.55 lakhs (with scope for negotiation, 10-15k I assume) sounds fair for a 2010 model with less kms on the odo.

Check the car thoroughly and make sure the kms are genuine and there's no accident damage because individual sellers usually don't quote a reasonable price (like in this case) for less used well-maintained cars.
Old 18th June 2019, 08:58   #13208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

With a 2 Lakh budget, why do you wanna buy a Tata Car? You will have a lot of options in this budget from the Alto to a Civic.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2019, 05:19   #13209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
With a 2 Lakh budget, why do you wanna buy a Tata Car? You will have a lot of options in this budget from the Alto to a Civic.
Alto is too small a car for me. Hence ruled out. The other cars from multiple brands which are available in the market are year 2008 or before make. I have a plan to keep the car for at least 5 to 7 years. Hence I am thinking hard to take the plunge.
Old 19th June 2019, 09:05   #13210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Alto is too small a car for me. Hence ruled out. The other cars from multiple brands which are available in the market are year 2008 or before make. I have a plan to keep the car for at least 5 to 7 years. Hence I am thinking hard to take the plunge.
A Tata is the worst option if you want to keep the car for 5 to 7 years, especially the model and vintage you are speaking of. The maintenance cost and ownership experience will spoil the full 5-7 years and we will lose a enthusiast in the process :P

You should get a SX4 easily in your budget, if you need a sedan. Around 2010 to 2011 vintage.
2000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 20:05   #13211
BHPian

Quote:
A Tata is the worst option if you want to keep the car for 5 to 7 years, especially the model and vintage you are speaking of. The maintenance cost and ownership experience will spoil the full 5-7 years and we will lose a enthusiast in the process :P

You should get a SX4 easily in your budget, if you need a sedan. Around 2010 to 2011 vintage.
I could'nt agree more with the above. Having been a Tata customer for the last 7+ years, I would steer well clear of them in future.
Go for an SX4. You won't regret it. Just make sure you get the car thoroughly checked at a MASS before purchase.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 20:25   #13212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Walk away if its the CR4 engine, mechanics vouch for its unreliability. If its the earlier Tdi engine, 1.9L is a fair price if the car is in mechanically good condition.

Quote:
A Tata is the worst option if you want to keep the car for 5 to 7 years, especially the model and vintage you are speaking of.
Well, not anymore really. The quality has definitely improved from Manza onwards. Though may not be upto Japanese reliability, the relatively lesser resale value gives us more car per car.

Last edited by jetsetgo08 : 20th June 2019 at 20:33.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2019, 21:36   #13213
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Go for an SX4. You won't regret it. Just make sure you get the car thoroughly checked at a MASS before purchase.

Regards,
SS
Quote:

I'm also looking for a car between 2-2.5L. I am currently considering the Honda City 2009-10 but SX4 did cross my mind a lot of times.

Though I've noticed that the resale of the SX4 is quite abysmal. It would be great if someone could point out the reason why.

My mechanic says that the spares are expensive, is that true? Say if you were to compare it to the Honda City? Another said that the spares are not readily available. Someone was trying to source a compressor for the SX4 and could not find in spite of the best of his efforts.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 20th June 2019, 21:44   #13214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibot View Post
I'm also looking for a car between 2-2.5L. I am currently considering the Honda City 2009-10 but SX4 did cross my mind a lot of times.

Though I've noticed that the resale of the SX4 is quite abysmal. It would be great if someone could point out the reason why.

My mechanic says that the spares are expensive, is that true? Say if you were to compare it to the Honda City? Another said that the spares are not readily available. Someone was trying to source a compressor for the SX4 and could not find in spite of the best of his efforts.

Any help would be appreciated!
If you get a Honda, nothing like it. SX4 is great from service perspective. (Authorised).

SX4 was not particularly a hit model and had recurring issues like fluctuating RPM. A city is practically a fill it shut it forget it car.
Old 20th June 2019, 21:57   #13215
BHPian

Quote:
If you get a Honda, nothing like it. SX4 is great from service perspective. (Authorised).

SX4 was not particularly a hit model and had recurring issues like fluctuating RPM. A city is practically a fill it shut it forget it car.
You're totally right about the Honda City, I owned a 2003 crystal lights model and it was a great car. The issue is, we're stretching our budget with 2.5, we're def more comfortable buying a car within 2, so I don't mind the SX4 if it fits the bill since I'll only get a 2008 or at the most 2009 model in 2L in Delhi.

Most Viewed