Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2020, 06:29   #13666
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Folks, I'm being offered a 30,000 km run 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic (Petrol) EX AT for 4,00,000. Is that a good deal?

Also, my work colleagues are warning me against buying a Mumbai registered car "because of undercarriage rusting due to the coastal weather".. is that a thing?

Appreciate the responses!
Old 24th January 2020, 06:59   #13667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punatic View Post
Folks, I'm being offered a 30,000 km run 2014 Hyundai Verna Fluidic (Petrol) EX AT for 4,00,000. Is that a good deal?

Also, my work colleagues are warning me against buying a Mumbai registered car "because of undercarriage rusting due to the coastal weather".. is that a thing?

Appreciate the responses!
The only weak point I can think of is the AT history of use or abuse. How are you going to get the AT checked out?

The undercarriage can be easily examined for rust or other damage. Of course, you will have to get the car's service history and get it thoroughly checked in any case. Do you know the owner(s)?
mvadg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2020, 07:30   #13668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Of course, you will have to get the car's service history and get it thoroughly checked in any case. Do you know the owner(s)?
Thanks for the response mvadg. No idea about the owners, found the listing on cars24. Haven't tried them ever, so honestly a little circumspect. But will of course not go for the deal without checking the service history.

Your tip on the AT does worry me a bit, because that is basically what I'm looking for: a pre-owned AT/CVT/DCT...
Old 24th January 2020, 14:06   #13669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Well, I may be wrong but the way I see, you are not getting real benefit in purchasing a not so popular used car in the BR-V. The BR-V may not see daylight post 2020, keeping that in view the market price shouldn't be that high AFAIK.

The City on the other hand is a safer bet discounting the ground clearance, extra seats and few features. Due to its omnipresence it's easier to live with and easier to leave as well. At 5'ish it could be a good deal if all is well. Also, it should be more efficient than the BR-V on the highways due to its design.

All the best and take a call weighing both heart's and mind's say.
Hi Guys,

Heart won over head - as usual!! I brought the BR-V home last evening. Got it thoroughly checked out by Honda and self (on the ramp) before finalizing. So far, so good. Very happy with the car and got a really "cheap thrill" yesterday when the PUC guy said "PUC is not required for new cars Sir"!!
Have to do the insurance tomorrow and then servicing and extended warranty.

Thanks for all the help from @Smartcat, @Jetsetgo08, @Wangdu, @Hserus and others. Much appreciated.

Hopefully, I won't have to bother you guys with any more questions for a while.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 00:54   #13670
BHPian

I'm on the lookout to buy a Camry petrol or the hybrid in Delhi. But I'm amazed at the prices quoted for the car. Even a 2012 model is not less than 12Lakhs on the outside considering the invoice value in 2012 for the Camry was just a shade over 20L. Is it just an inflated game that dealers are playing? Since I couldn't find any owner owned cars but only dealers. Any pointers on what would a 2015++ Camry actually cost in the second hand market?
duke is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 03:04   #13671

BHPian friends, I need a little help from you. I have a alto k10 VXI manual. I’m thinking of selling it. It’s 3 years old and 46000 KM on odo. The car is in good condition, timely serviced always from maruti authorised service centers. I’m not sure about the selling price though. I have no idea about used car market and prices. It is currently WB registered but I’m residing in Pune now. So it would be great if you can give your valuable input on -
1. Shall I sell the car in WB or it is fine to sell it in Pune?
2. Shall I go for cars24, olx etc? Or look for direct buyers?
3. What all documents I need to transfer to new buyer in order to leave the complete ownership of my car?
4. What price can I expect?
5. Suggestion if any.

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th January 2020, 16:11   #13672
BHPian

One of my friend is looking at 2013 Nov Diesel 110 bhp Duster, done 1 lakh 15 thousand kms, in a very good condition (recently driven to Araku from Hyderabad without any problems). The owner is quoting 6.5 lakhs. Seems high to me. Look forward to hearing on what could be the right price.
Old 27th January 2020, 19:49   #13673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-dk View Post
One of my friend is looking at 2013 Nov Diesel 110 bhp Duster, done 1 lakh 15 thousand kms, in a very good condition (recently driven to Araku from Hyderabad without any problems). The owner is quoting 6.5 lakhs. Seems high to me. Look forward to hearing on what could be the right price.
Don’t even bother. Old dusters had heavy clutch which was rectified to an extent with facelift in 2016 I think.

110 ps duster is known for injector issue. And the running seems too high even to buy a Maruti or Toyota. I would stay clear for sure.
aniyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 23:50   #13674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Don’t even bother. Old dusters had heavy clutch which was rectified to an extent with facelift in 2016 I think.

110 ps duster is known for injector issue. And the running seems too high even to buy a Maruti or Toyota. I would stay clear for sure.
Thanks for your valuable inputs. I will advise him to stay away.
Old 28th January 2020, 08:35   #13675
BHPian

Quote:
My in laws have the Verna. What you ought to check is if the low seating position suits you on long drives. I'm not saying it's worse than the competition or anything, just that personally I think it needs getting used to. Also the car you've mentioned is probably due for a tyre change considering the age, so factor the price for that in.
Quote:
because of undercarriage rusting due to the coastal weather".. is that a thing?
There is some truth to what they say, but unless this car has lived right by the beaches rusting need not be such a deal breaker as they are making it out to be. Frankly, compared to Pune, Mumbai has a much wider pool for you to choose cars from and you can find sparingly used examples for a great deal here. There are many many used cars being bought and sold in Mumbai daily. Unlikely that the undercarriage is so rusted that you shouldn't buy it. The best thing to do would be to raise it onto a lift at a service centre and inspect it yourself. If it is mild, simply apply some reputed underbody coating and you should be good to go.
Iyencar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2020, 16:30   #13676
BHPian

Many thanks for the responses Iyencar! The low seating position and consequent ingress-egress issue is indeed what finally put me off after the test-drive. I'm 181 cm, so not outrageously tall, but still it appears I'll have to stick to the crossovers/SUVs!
Old 29th January 2020, 12:55   #13677
BHPian

Hey Guys,
I used to own a Ford Fiesta 1.6 from 2007 to 2013 and still in love with it.
I have been contemplating on getting a used Fiesta 1.6S (S only) for office commute and late night/ weekend drive. I already have an Endeavour for family and outstation trips (atleast twice monthly).
Thinking of getting this car purely because of nostalgia and its the only car that I would buy again among all the cars I have driven or owned. None of the other cars on sale today within 20L come close to the driving pleassure, ride, handling, steering feel and engine music of the fiesta.

Does it make sense to buy a 7 to 10 year old Fiesta now in 2020? What's a fair price?
Old 29th January 2020, 21:14   #13678
BHPian

Quote:
Many thanks for the responses Iyencar! The low seating position and consequent ingress-egress issue is indeed what finally put me off after the test-drive.
Good you tried it out.
Quote:
I'm 181 cm, so not outrageously tall, but still it appears I'll have to stick to the crossovers/SUVs!
Well, don't rule sedans out entirely yet. There are quite a few which can seat someone as tall as you are comfortably. Maybe posting a query in the "What Car" thread should help. There are good sedans in each segment that give a good balance of decent seat height with the advantages of a sedan. Off the top of my head you can look at a used Corolla (good ground clearance and reliable) , Jetta (Petrol comfortline), or even the SX4 (cheap and reliable). Good luck!

Last edited by Iyencar : 29th January 2020 at 21:15.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2020, 12:32   #13679
BHPian

My cousin brother wants to buy a used SUV in the 5-7 lakhs range. The used car options he liked are Honda C-RV and Mitsubishi Outlander. Both are in the 2009-2011 model range. Is it advisable to go for either of them? Mileage and regular maintenance cost isn't an issue. He had a Pajero 2.8 before and he spent a lot of money on repairs and finally sold it off.
Old 30th January 2020, 15:25   #13680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi.mariner View Post
My cousin brother wants to buy a used SUV in the 5-7 lakhs range. The used car options he liked are Honda C-RV and Mitsubishi Outlander. Both are in the 2009-2011 model range. Is it advisable to go for either of them? Mileage and regular maintenance cost isn't an issue. He had a Pajero 2.8 before and he spent a lot of money on repairs and finally sold it off.
He can also take a look at TBHP's favorite, the Suzuki Grand Vitara, which seems like a more complete product against soft roaders like C-RV and Outlander.
rdst_1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks