Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:04   #13951
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

This doesn't look like a car that you should sell.

People like you are a gift for quite a few people on this thread I must say

Keep the car till it hits a lakh km or more, the MT is bulletproof unlike the DSG in VW Skoda cars and the car build quality is great. If you are getting tired with it, spend on some detailing and expensive floor mats for example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
Hi fellow TBHPians,

I'm in the market for a new car (still nervous given the macro scenario) so wanted your advise on how much should I sell my old Rapid for. The car details are as below:

Model: Skoda Rapid MT 1.5 Elegance Black Package (diesel)
Service History: All services done by Skoda ASS, except the one I did a month ago (with GoMechanic)
ODO: 25K
Condition: Good, Interiors like new. Upgraded the HU to RCD 330G.

I will be grateful for any feedback.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:18   #13952
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andafunda View Post
I'm in the market for a new car (still nervous given the macro scenario) so wanted your advise on how much should I sell my old Rapid for.
Agree with others, even I would suggest to hold on to the car. I am afraid if you try to sell, it might only fetch 50% of the amount that you had spent. Try to sell it within your known circles even if you decide to sell it.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 11:44   #13953
BHPian

I've been transferred to Delhi and will need a used automatic hatch there. What will be a fair price of a 2014-15, around 50K KM run Brio CVT? I'm seeing ad in OLX for about 4.3L. After 3 years or so when I get transferred again out Delhi I plan to sell the car. Or is it better to buy a new Alto K10 AMT?

I have a Ignis AMT at home which don't want to take to Delhi.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:28   #13954
AZT
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
I've been transferred to Delhi and will need a used automatic hatch there. What will be a fair price of a 2014-15, around 50K KM run Brio CVT? I'm seeing ad in OLX for about 4.3L. After 3 years or so when I get transferred again out Delhi I plan to sell the car. Or is it better to buy a new Alto K10 AMT?

Assuming there is no number plate issue in Delhi, can't you take the Ignis with you and buy the vehicle in Kolkata. Since you are from here you could negotiate a better deal. Or you don't like the Ignis and want to leave it back.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:40   #13955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
This doesn't look like a car that you should sell.

People like you are a gift for quite a few people on this thread I must say

Keep the car till it hits a lakh km or more, the MT is bulletproof unlike the DSG in VW Skoda cars and the car build quality is great. If you are getting tired with it, spend on some detailing and expensive floor mats for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Agree with others, even I would suggest to hold on to the car. I am afraid if you try to sell, it might only fetch 50% of the amount that you had spent. Try to sell it within your known circles even if you decide to sell it.
I wish I could keep the car. I love it, I care for it and it drives like a champ. However, as I mentioned in my previous post, my ankle (post ligament injury) starts paining a lot when i use the clutch a lot in traffic (Mumbai!).

Will really appreciate if the community members here can give their opinion on how much I can sell this car for.
Old 2nd September 2020, 12:45   #13956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZT View Post
Assuming there is no number plate issue in Delhi, can't you take the Ignis with you and buy the vehicle in Kolkata. Since you are from here you could negotiate a better deal. Or you don't like the Ignis and want to leave it back.
Used cars are generally cheaper in Delhi compared to Kolkata. Also, the thing that I've noticed in Delhi in my earlier tenures is that there is a lot of bullying to cars with out of state number plates in roads of Delhi NCR (no offense meant to Delhi members). That is why I planned to buy a car with Delhi number.

I'll not take my family at this time ,so the Ignis will serve them.
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:12   #13957
Senior - BHPian

Buying a new car for a short period may only be a good idea if you plan to not sell it after 3 years and take it with you wherever your next location is.

Quote:

I moved to Delhi from Kolkata last year and this is what I did:

1. My initial plan was to buy a used Honda City in Delhi and keep the i20 in Kolkata. However, I soon realised finding a decent Honda City within my budget was a tough (not impossible) task. Although used cars are cheap in Delhi, finding a genuine one with proper service records is a pain.

2. So I decided to take my i20 there. One fine morning, along with 2 other very helpful Bhpians, I drove my i20 from Kolkata to Delhi and I have been using it since then in Delhi

3. Now what about Kolkata? We were left without a car in Kolkata and my mother needed one. So I decided to spend the budget (increased it a bit) I had kept for the City in Delhi to buy a 'new' Santro for Kolkata.

The benefit of the above was that I was not left with a 6-7 year old Honda City with an unknown/shady past and it saved me some time from skimming through scores of Citys in the classifieds of various websites and making visits to various car dealers across the city.

Could I have done the opposite? Buying the Santro for Delhi and keeping the i20 in Kolkata - Yes. So, it can apply to you to.

P.S: For the time I have been in Delhi, my out-of state number plate has not caused me any issue. There are thousands of out of state cars in Delhi and I doubt it is a very big issue.

Last edited by Pancham : 2nd September 2020 at 16:16.
Pancham is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:27   #13958
BHPian

I am in a dilemma related to my next car purchase and where best to ask than Team-bhp. My current ride [Duster 85PS Rxl (O)] is going to be 8 years old. She has done 78K and runs like new. Even though underpowered, I have built a very steady relationship with her over the years, something more like a marriage

Well now I will come to the reason why this thread. I want to go for an upgrade primarily an AT with a Sunroof. Now I was looking at top-end Seltos/Creta to top-end Compass. But then again since I was looking at the range of 25-30 lacs (Compass is just over 30 lacs OTR in Namma Bengaluru), I started looking for 2nd hand luxury vehicles too. I came across a number of them, but as said else where in the forum, the entire 2nd hand market in Bengaluru is full of conmen and dealers who have no business ethics (in my view due to some personal experiences).

Anyways to cut a long story short, I was discussing with my brother and he said he wants to sell off his 9 year old C250 Avantgarde. It has just run 25K and has always been maintained in ASS. He is the sole driver and of the 25K, yours truly would have driven 1K

I have 3 questions.
  • I plan to keep the car for at least 8-10 years & I know the vehicle scrappage policy is on its way, considering that is it a good idea to buy ?
  • From a maintenance point of view, is it ok if I switch over to a FNG to keep the costs low ?
  • The car is registered in a different state, what is the implications of running the same in Karnataka ? (I know that rules have changed in the recent past)

Last edited by shabash : 2nd September 2020 at 19:33. Reason: Formatting
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:34   #13959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I have 3 questions.
  • I plan to keep the car for at least 8-10 years & I know the vehicle scrappage policy is on its way, considering that is it a good idea to buy ?
  • From a maintenance point of view, is it ok if I switch over to a FNG to keep the costs low ?
  • The car is registered in a different state, what is the implications of running the same in Karnataka ? (I know that rules have changed in the recent past)
1. No
2. Yes
3. A friend of mind moved his Polo from WB to KA and got it re-registered. He spent around 80k if I remember. I heard KA norms are stricter than other states so please take that into account.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 2nd September 2020 at 20:52. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:17   #13960
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabash View Post
I have 3 questions.
Run away from this car. I know it’s been maintained well, sparingly used, etc, but this Merc is about to turn into an endless money pit. Switching to a FNG is only going to lower the labour costs. You will still have to pay through your nose for genuine Merc parts.

The ONLY case where you may consider buying this, is if your usage is going to be extremely low, you’re getting it for basically next to nothing and you’ll use it as a weekend toy. If you plan to use it as a daily driver, I’d like to know which paint thinner you were sniffing when you were pondering over this??

Don’t do it! You are only going to burn a hole in your bank account maintaining this car.
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:52   #13961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetset
. It's a yay, if you can live with the cracked windshield and other dings and all other expenses included at 3.5L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Is it an Elite i20 or the older gen? )
It's an elite i20. I have counter offered with 3.3L as it has the 16inch OEM alloy package installed 2 years ago
Looking at other examples too.
Manoj2268 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:33   #13962
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj2268 View Post
It's an elite i20. I have counter offered with 3.3L as it has the 16inch OEM alloy package installed 2 years ago
Looking at other examples too.
Still 3.3 lakhs is on higher side. I'm sure it's insurance WDV won't be this much (my brother has a February 2014 Magna).
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 21:01   #13963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That is why I planned to buy a car with Delhi number.
Valid reason. A WB registered car will stand out in Delhi and invite unwanted attention from cops. Majority of out-of-state cars in Delhi are from neighbouring areas like Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan or Punjab.

For a used car, the only advice I'll give you apart from what others have already suggested is to go for either a Maruti or a Hyundai if you're planning to sell in 3 years. No other brand holds value like these two. Used Celerio AMT is what I'd suggest if you can live with the characteristic head-nod.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 21:50   #13964
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Used Celerio AMT is what I'd suggest if you can live with the characteristic head-nod.
Early Celerio AMT's were known to have lots of problem related to the AMT unit/clutch. Its all there in the "Maruti's AMT woes" thread. For older car that's why I'm inclining towards a Brio. If I couldn't find good resell value I may consider it taking to my next place. The Brio appears to be hassle free car. The Micra is another car but service and resell is much bigger headache I think.
Old 3rd September 2020, 21:59   #13965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If I couldn't find good resell value I may consider it taking to my next place. The Brio appears to be hassle free car.
If that's an option then you can definitely consider Brio. As a product, there's no doubt Brio AT is far superior to Celerio AMT. Also include Grand i10 Automatic in your shortlist.
self_driven is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed