Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2020, 13:38   #14191
BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
Too bad! But like you said, the search continues.

If you can find another Camry which checks out & is within your budget, why look elsewhere?

I’d stick to Japanese (specifically Toyota & Honda) if I were you. They are the gold standard of reliability & fuss free ownership.
Thanks @ChoosetoCruze. Agreed.

I found another Camry Hybrid, 2nd owner. When I checked the service records, it had front bumper and AC radiator replaced, meaning a frontal collision serious enough. Spoke to the owner and he said he's selling it since his travel business is down due to COVID. Decided not to go ahead since he's also let the car be listed by a park n sell dealer also and they're quoting different prices.

In the meanwhile, I found a 2013 2nd owner Honda Accord in decent condition, listed by Spinny used car dealers for 7.8L. I test drove it for about 60 kms. The Spinny sales person was hesitant but after putting my foot down that I want to know how it rides and handles on highways, he agreed. Obviously, this was the latest Accord I could fine in the last month or two. I couldn't find a 2014 or 2015 Accord when it was last sold with an IC engine.

I observed the following in the test drive:
  • Interiors - Corolla < Accord < Camry. Accord's is better than corolla but less opulent than Camry. Particular the seat leather is wrinkled and softer than Camry's firm yet soft enough. Missus said let's replace the seats if we buy this, I think that's another 40-50K if I get decent seats, but I think that's ok. What do others think?
  • Steering - Corolla < Camry < Accord. I found the accord's steering more direct in feel and precise. It's a tad smaller than Camry's and Corolla's, but I loved it.
  • Pick up - Corolla < [Camry, Accord]. Both Camry and Accord are equivalent. Camry's better at slow speeds due to hybrid/electric kicking in, Accord's is better at running acceleration when vtec kicks in. In 4-5 seconds, you can reach from 50-60kmph to 120kmph since it's a TC gearbox. I. found it fun and addictive. I thought I was at 80-90kmph and when I looked at the speedo, realize I was already past 120 and still gathering speed.
  • Size - Corolla < Camry < Accord. Accord is big, but I found this a non-factor in the test drive. I drove through peak traffic within BLR city and in NICE road, but it was still less stressful. Same was the case in the outer ring road highway with medium to low traffic. I think the lower GC and lower dashboard makes Accord feel more planted and visceral feel during the drive. Obviously, it handles like a boat, but Corolla/Camry are like a ship I'd say
  • Mileage - Accord < [Corolla/Camry] - but my running will be 5K-6K per year without Corona. With Corona, it's 2-3K max, so if I buy Accord for 7.8L(or whatever amount I can negotiate for), I save 6-7 L compared to a 2015 Camry Hybrid. I'll take 10-20 years to recover this in fuel savings, or probably never. So this is obviously a non-factor for me. Are my assumptions correct?
  • Reliability - Accord < [Corolla, Camry]. Accord was built strong, the sheet metal was strong and even stronger than the Corolla in the fenders etc, but I saw some wear n tear on the dashboard and Honda suspension is less robust than Toyota's. Less GC also means it's more prone to scraping.

Can I get the Accord serviced at Honda A.S.S or a FNG and get regular services and spares replacement? I wouldn't want the vehicle at service for more than 2-3 days a year, I'm spoilt by my Corolla's reliability over the last 4-5 years. What do the experts think?
skarthikeyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 14:06   #14192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthikeyan View Post
I observed the following in the test drive
You basically echo my thoughts down to the letter.

The Accord is basically the sportier version of the Camry, however, like you said, the benchmark is still the Camry.

You didn’t mention the mileage of the Accord, still, as long as it’s run less than 150,000kms, it should be a safe buy. Does the seller/dealer have the car’s full/complete service history? As that brings me to the next point.

Coming to spares, the best person to answer that question would be the Honda dealer or your FNG. An almost 8 yr old car is bound to have some wear & tear part replacements, but the price you're buying it at will offset that.

Even for Bangalore, that price is on the higher side and I think you should negotiate hard!

Make sure that transmission is in good health as that’s the weakest link in the Accord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Does 4.75L for 2018 Swift ZXi with around 25K on odo sound good? Also, I’m a first time buyer, so any pointers with regards to checklist for this specific model would be highly appreciated.
Browse through this thread - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...car-india.html (ARTICLE: How to buy a *USED* Car in India)

The price seems okay for a low run swift provided it’s checked by a mechanic..

Last edited by ChoosetoCruze : 25th October 2020 at 14:36.
Old 25th October 2020, 14:32   #14193
BHPian

Does 4.75L for 2018 Swift ZXi with around 25K on odo sound good? Also, I’m a first time buyer, so any pointers with regards to checklist for this specific model would be highly appreciated.
Old 25th October 2020, 15:59   #14194
BHPian

Thinking of selling my current ride for an upgrade. It is August 2014 Hyundai Xcent Petrol S(O) variant.

1. Has never been in an accident.
2. All four tyres changed to Yokohama Earth 1 mid last year.
3. New Amron Battery fitted mid last year.
4. 56000 kms driven.
5. Driven only by me.
6. Always parked in a covered parking.
7. Roof wrapped last year with matte black.
8. Alloy rims powder painted to black as well.
9. Few scratches here or there that comes with usage.
10. Has never left me hanging and has been trouble free so far. No complains what so ever.
11. Insurance valid till August 2021.
12. Registered in Pune and I am the first owner.

The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-img_20200101_1745182.jpg

Please let me know what should be price that I should be looking at.

Last edited by Engine_Roars : 25th October 2020 at 16:03.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 16:22   #14195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Thinking of selling my current ride for an upgrade. It is August 2014 Hyundai Xcent Petrol S(O) variant.

Please let me know what should be price that I should be looking at.
There are so many online price calculators, and there are prices mentioned in OLX that you can deduct a certain percentage of expected reduction from bargaining and get a good idea of that.

And then there are the tbhp used car classifieds where you can post this to much more effect.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 00:46   #14196
BHPian

Is a A-star, VXi Automatic, 2013 run 50000 KM, 1st owner worth rs 3.25L. I found the ad in OLX. The car is registered in UP. The owner (1st owner) claims that all service records available. The price can be surely negotiated.

Basically I'm looking for a used automatic (non-AMT) car in Delhi within 4L. I can find only 1 or 2 examples of Brio AT at around 4.3L within this budget.

There are some i10 (old) 2011 or 2012 model but I don't know whether to consider them!

All others are Kwid, Celerio, Wagon R and Alto.

I already have a AMT Ignis, so I know the issues. But buying a used AMT and that run 30-40K KM doesn't gives me mental peace.

What would be the best bet here?
Old 26th October 2020, 01:47   #14197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Is a A-star, VXi Automatic, 2013 run 50000 KM, 1st owner worth rs 3.25L. I found the ad in OLX. The car is registered in UP.

There are some i10 (old) 2011 or 2012 model but I don't know whether to consider them!
If it’s a UP car you have to pay Delhi road tax to re register it in Delhi. Drop the idea.

I have a 2012 i10 automatic for beater use - change the atf fluid for sure along with other lubes like engine oil, brake oil and coolant when you get it, but it has been pretty reliable since I got it. Abysmally low FE of around 7-8 in city driving but that’s most automatics.
Old 26th October 2020, 11:28   #14198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is a A-star, VXi Automatic, 2013 run 50000 KM, 1st owner worth rs 3.25L.
Definitely not. Even 2.5 lakh will be a generous offer for this car.

Quote:
Basically I'm looking for a used automatic (non-AMT) car in Delhi within 4L.
In my opinion, a lightly used 3rd gen City AT will be the best bet. This car has sold in decent numbers which makes it easier to come across a clean example when buying used. You will find plenty of 2012-13 models in your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Does 4.75L for 2018 Swift ZXi with around 25K on odo sound good?
Be careful. Price sounds too good for a 2 year old Zxi variant.

Last edited by self_driven : 26th October 2020 at 11:35.
self_driven is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 11:33   #14199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
I have a 2012 i10 automatic for beater use - change the atf fluid for sure along with other lubes like engine oil, brake oil and coolant when you get it, but it has been pretty reliable since I got it. Abysmally low FE of around 7-8 in city driving but that’s most automatics.
Thanks!!

A 2011 or 12 i10 is also much cheaper. I see listing at about 2.2L or so. I know about the FE and it dosesn't concern me. What I want to know is about the mechanical reliability or niggles of a 9-10 year old automatic car. Your post gives some assurance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
Definitely not. Even 2.5 lakh will be a generous offer for this car.
But if the pricing is OK, is the car worth buying?

Quote:
Originally Posted by self_driven View Post
In my opinion, a lightly used 3rd gen City AT will be the best bet. This car has sold in decent numbers which makes it easier to come across a clean example when buying used. You will find plenty of 2012-13 models in your budget.
Yes I see City AT in this range. How costly is their maintenance? Actually I was looking for hatch primarily as myself will be sole occupant. Also, parking will be hassle free. The primary use of the car will be traveling to office which is about 18Km both way .

Last edited by archat68 : 26th October 2020 at 11:38.
Old 26th October 2020, 13:44   #14200
BHPian

In yesterday's Pune Mirror.
I am not associated with BU Bhandari in any way.
Attached Thumbnails
The "USED" Car Price Check Thread-img_20201026_134112.jpg  

Old 26th October 2020, 14:07   #14201
BHPian

Quote:
What I want to know is about the mechanical reliability or niggles of a 9-10 year old automatic car.

But if the pricing is OK, is the car worth buying?

Yes I see City AT in this range. How costly is their maintenance? Actually I was looking for hatch primarily as myself will be sole occupant.
When you buy a 10 yr old car, you HAVE to do your homework well, on the expected immediate expenses that you are going to have to shell out, post purchase. Things like suspension parts, tyres, battery, brake pads & discs, wheel bearings, alternator, water pump, AC compressor, timing belt (in some cars) are high on the list of requiring replacement at the 10yr mark in any car. So don’t expect to buy a 10yr old car & drive it like it was brand new, without spending a substantial amount of money on getting it back to tip-top shape.

Of course, if you already have budgeted for all of those unforeseen expenses and you have 4L to spend APART from maybe 1L on immediate maintenance, my suggestion would be the City automatic. That is a car which requires minimum maintenance, is safe & is built to last (especially 8-10yrs ago). The Jazz CVT is still out of your reach with your present budget, and don’t waste your time with a 10yr old A Star or i10 as those cars will fall apart in front of your eyes, with your monthly running of 1000kms.

If you haven’t budgeted for unforeseen maintenance, your actual budget is 3L, in which case your options are even more limited. It might make more sense to search for a new car in that case.

All of the above is because you’re considering cars which are approaching 10yrs old. The equation changes drastically if you’re looking at upto 5 yr old cars.

Don’t even bother with out of state cars as they are not worth the hassle.

The only added cost of driving an AT is marginally worse fuel economy, more frequent transmission fluid changes & front brake pad replacement. The rest of the car pretty much requires the same amount of maintenance as a manual car.

Choose wisely & good luck.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 19:16   #14202
BHPian

How accurate do folks think the OBV values are? Does it just make sense to check the OBV value and subtract a % when you are selling and add a certain % when you are buying?

Does the T-BHPValue vary largely compared with OBV?
Old 27th October 2020, 19:31   #14203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Car: Honda City Petrol
Year: 2014
ODO: 44000
Variant: SV
Transmission: CVT
No.of owners: 1

What is the fair price for the same? Is 5L a low offer?
We revised the offer to 5.2L but owner is expecting 7L for it. 2014 OTR price was ~11L, so our offer 5.2L is pretty good considering it is 6 years old. Looks like Honda City holds the value really well after initial 2-3 years. Our search continues!

Last edited by Latheesh : 27th October 2020 at 19:38.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 05:48   #14204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
How accurate do folks think the OBV values are? Does it just make sense to check the OBV value and subtract a % when you are selling and add a certain % when you are buying?

Does the T-BHPValue vary largely compared with OBV?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
We revised the offer to 5.2L but owner is expecting 7L for it. 2014 OTR price was ~11L, so our offer 5.2L is pretty good considering it is 6 years old. Looks like Honda City holds the value really well after initial 2-3 years. Our search continues!
And herein lies the crux of the problem using online OBV calculators. An owner may just blindly go by the online value of his vehicle, completely ignoring its actual market value, and demand outlandish figures for his possession.

Online OBV values are just a rough estimate and are certainly NOT the do all and end all, for used car prices. There are just so many variables which a potential buyer needs to consider.

Yes Hondas do hold their value very well, but , that car is NOT worth 7L. No way! Be patient & keep searching.
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 06:41   #14205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post
When you buy a 10 yr old car, you HAVE to do your homework well, on the expected immediate expenses that you are going to have to shell out, post purchase. Things like suspension parts, tyres, battery, brake pads & discs, wheel bearings, alternator, water pump, AC compressor, timing belt .
Mine had been very lightly used - hardly ran 40k km, owned by an elderly woman who must have used it only for local trips (and yes this is also wearing in its own way to cars).

Now, I would normally suspect such a low odo reading on a ten year old car, but this one had been fully serviced at a Hyundai dealership over the years, and the entire service record was available when I took the car to the nearest Hyundai dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks