Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2020, 10:52   #14236
Senior - BHPian

Re: The "USED" Car Price Check Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athani View Post
Thank you very much! Appreciate your time and advice.

The Seller is not willing to budge below 6 lacs. I'll take a call after having the car professionally inspected and perusing the service records.

Thanks again. 🙏
Walk away from it. 6 isn't worth for this car and the running is very suspect for the car's age.
hserus is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 19:07   #14237
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,
One of my friends is on the lookout for a Hyndai Tucson, we recently came across a 2017 GL AT petrol model on OLX. The dealer (Broker Dalal) is quoting 17L as his final price. The car seems to be in perfect shape. Do you think this is a good price for the car?

OLX listing.

TIA
Old 4th November 2020, 20:07   #14238
Senior - BHPian

Which means he bought it at around 16 odd. If the tyres and clutch are good, relatively new (within the last year or so) battery, its an OK price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hi all,
One of my friends is on the lookout for a Hyndai Tucson, we recently came across a 2017 GL AT petrol model on OLX. The dealer (Broker Dalal) is quoting 17L as his final price.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 20:54   #14239
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Which means he bought it at around 16 odd. If the tyres and clutch are good, relatively new (within the last year or so) battery, its an OK price.
Probably lower than 16L, as now he is standing firm at 17L. We have offered him 15.5L and hoping to close it around 16L or so.
Will share an update shortly.

Cheers
Old 5th November 2020, 10:32   #14240
BHPian

Quote:
Walk away from it. 6 isn't worth for this car and the running is very suspect for the car's age.
Hi Hserus,

I have just sold a 2010 SX4 with 22.4 K genuine Kms on the clock and full service history. A couple of buyers turned up and were very suspicious initially about the mileage but then finally acknowledged the genuine mileage. (I have 4 cars) Mine was also a "one of a kind" car (I like to think) like the one under discussion, but, Yes! 6.00L is too much for a 12 year old car.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 12:34   #14241
Senior - BHPian

Depends, if there is service history corroborating the low usage that is fine. Gaps in the service history would suggest a tampered odometer.

The 2010 automatic i10 I got for my wife late last year actually did have 40500 km on the clock and had been entirely serviced at a local Hyundai dealer so the SA was familiar with the car and its history. So I had no hesitation buying it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Hi Hserus,

I have just sold a 2010 SX4 with 22.4 K genuine Kms on the clock and full service history. A couple of buyers turned up and were very suspicious initially about the mileage but then finally acknowledged the genuine mileage. (I have 4 cars) Mine was also a "one of a kind" car (I like to think) like the one under discussion, but, Yes! 6.00L is too much for a 12 year old car.

Regards,
SS
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 15:17   #14242

Hi all!
I am interested in owning a reliable used-car for usage predominantly on highways (total usage in itself will be quite low -few thousand kms per year). I am not looking for a maruti suzuki (for various personal reasons) and want to own something that might have a decent resale value in 2 to 3 years time.

A seemingly reliable dealer in Chennai (TSM cars) is quoting 4.5 lakhs (intially he quoted 4.75 lakhs) for a 2012 Honda City V Petrol (single previous owner). The said car comes with ABS and dual-airbags, has a manual transmission and has covered 45000 kms. What’s not encouraging though is that the car has had not any takers for more than 6 months now. Sales guy claims that this is because of the quote price and the same is because of the good condition of the car! I am yet to take a test drive. OBV pegs the value of the car at around 4.05 lakhs. Cartrade and the likes peg the value at about 4.5 lakhs or more. As I understand, the Honda 1.5 vtec engine is a reliable one and the car too has lots of space. Hence, I am considering this option.

Could someone please guide me on the following wrt the above choice:
a) Quoted price
b) WRT the Honda City: Ease of service and, cost of service and spare parts
c) Reliability of Honda City (don’t want to be stranded on a roadside and /or wait for days/weeks for spares)
d) Reliability of TSM Chennai

Some History! Couple of years ago, I purchased a very old used-car (palio 1.6 gtx). Liked the idea of owning a used and inexpensive Fiat. The main purpose of purchase was to become comfortable with real world driving. Also thought that if I get lucky, I could own it for a few years. Theoretically, I knew the associated challenges. But in reality, owning that car was a real pain (throttle body and oxygen sensor problems, issues with mechanics, associated costs etc)! Got rid of that within a year of purchase! Now, looking for another used car as I am cash-strapped and the presence of the virus makes usage of a personal vehicle preferable. I live in an very small town (3 hrs from B’lore) where the availability of decent mechanics is an issue (will this be a problem with Honda Citys too?). Please guide!

Last edited by Grand Vitesse : 6th November 2020 at 15:44.
Grand Vitesse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 09:30   #14243
Senior - BHPian

TSM is an old and reputable dealer but I didn't find him terribly honest. I was shopping for a used car for my wife soon after the 2015 Chennai floods and came across one at their yard that looked clean.

The salesman swore it was not flooded and was parked in a multi level car parking etc. Unfortunately while polishing up the car to make it look good for a customer, they forgot to clean up the upholstery on the car's ceiling / roof and touching it, it felt sticky. The car's manual was in the glove box and surprise surprise, it had been soaked in muddy water and then dried.

Of course it might be possible that the owner patched up the flooded car and sold it to TSM but still .. I told him where he could stick his car and moved on.

In any case, never believe what a used car salesman tells you, however reputable his company might be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand Vitesse View Post
A seemingly reliable dealer in Chennai (TSM cars) is quoting 4.5 lakhs (intially he quoted 4.75 lakhs) for a 2012 Honda City V Petrol (single previous owner). The said car comes with ABS and dual-airbags, has a manual transmission and has covered 45000 kms. What’s not encouraging though is that the car has had not any takers for more than 6 months now. Sales guy claims that this is because of the quote price and the same is because of the good condition of the car!

Last edited by hserus : 7th November 2020 at 09:31.
hserus is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 20:42   #14244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoosetoCruze View Post

You didn’t mention the mileage of the Accord, still, as long as it’s run less than 150,000kms, it should be a safe buy. Does the seller/dealer have the car’s full/complete service history?
Sorry, forgot to mention - the car has run 73,000 km.

I've checked out the service history of the car for 2016/17/18/19 and it has gone through only regular servicing(oil change, coolant top-up, interior detailing, exterior wash - last bill was 10,291). I also had the car checked in a FNG and they had certified the engine, transmission are all fine. The service history also confirms the car's mileage is genuine.

Quote:
Even for Bangalore, that price is on the higher side and I think you should negotiate hard!
The dealer is firm at 7.84 Lakhs and isn't budging. I started with a 6.5L offer and then upped to 7L or walk away and the response was that they can't reduce since they've got to recoup the amount they paid to the owner.

OBV says fair price is 6.7L in Bangalore, but I see 2011/12 vehicles listed at 8.25 to 8.5L. The vehicle I'm evaluating is a 2013 vehicle and hence 7.84L looks relatively better. This car was originally listed at 8.3L and they've reduced this to 7.84L, probably due to the COVID effect and the car's been on sale for about 4 months that I can see.

I'm on the fence now, should I just wait for a better deal to come around? Or should I just pull the trigger and go ahead with it?
Old 7th November 2020, 20:54   #14245
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarthikeyan View Post
I'm on the fence now, should I just wait for a better deal to come around? Or should I just pull the trigger and go ahead with it?
You’re between a rock & a hard place, thanks to the used car mafia in Bangalore.

Do you feel the car is worth 7.8L? If yes, pull the trigger. If not, keep looking. Never rush a used car purchase unless you’re urgently in need of a vehicle. You’ll have to make that decision.
Old 7th November 2020, 21:38   #14246

Quote:

In any case, never believe what a used car salesman tells you, however reputable his company might be.
Satyavachan! Thank you hserus. Though I became a member only recently, I have read your posts regarding your Fiesta and Scorpio purchases from VJ cars. I keep watching their Ads too. However, they don't seem to be dealing with that many cars with age more than 4/5 years or quoted price lesser than 4/5 lakhs. Are they any better?
Grand Vitesse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 05:24   #14247
BHPian

Morning bhpians

I am looking for a used Fortuner. I have come across several cars. I haven’t test driven any yet. Will be doing that tomorrow. I personally like the old shape better (type 2). I just needed advice on a couple of things:
1. Which model should I look at and the anticipated pricing for the same?
2. I would definitely use it for some trips to the mountains during its time with me but mostly use it in the city, Do you think I need a 4x4?
3. These cars are mostly high mileage models. So Do you think a car with over 1 lakh kms is reliable and safe enough to buy?

The price I am seeing right now is around the 15lakh mark. Let me know if they are any good

Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 14:49   #14248
Senior - BHPian

Car: Honda City
Year: 2018
ODO: 27000
Variant: ZX CVT Petrol
Transmission: Automatic
No.of owners: 1

What is the fair price for the same? If everything is in order?
Old 8th November 2020, 15:49   #14249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
2. I would definitely use it for some trips to the mountains during its time with me but mostly use it in the city, Do you think I need a 4x4?
3. These cars are mostly high mileage models. So Do you think a car with over 1 lakh kms is reliable and safe enough to buy?
The 1st generation of the Fortuner didn’t have the best brakes, which was fixed in the subsequent generation. However, when buying used, every vehicle should be evaluated on a case to case basis.

2. When you say ‘to the mountains’, do you mean paved/gravel/mud/no roads? For anything other than paved, you will probably need 4x4.

3. Most Toyota & Honda vehicles (especially MT) can easily last 500,000kms or more, with only routine maintenance & timely wear and tear part replacements. 100,000kms is child’s play for a Toyota. Just make sure the vehicle was serviced regularly & all the fluids were changed at the required intervals. You can verify that by asking for complete service records.

As with any used car, get it inspected by an honest mechanic/ASC, before you buy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
What is the fair price for the same? If everything is in order?
To be honest, that car still hasn’t depreciated enough for you to enjoy any significant benefits.

The sticker price in 2018 was ~ 15.5L. Around 3yrs later, the owner may expect more than 10-11L, which in my opinion, is the upper limit of what the car is worth.

But you never know, see what’s the lowest they’re willing to go..
ChoosetoCruze is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 17:35   #14250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

To be honest, that car still hasn’t depreciated enough for you to enjoy any significant benefits.

The sticker price in 2018 was ~ 15.5L. Around 3yrs later, the owner may expect more than 10-11L, which in my opinion, is the upper limit of what the car is worth.

But you never know, see what’s the lowest they’re willing to go..
You are correct. Owner is expecting 12L for it. I was thinking of offering 10.5L start with and another 10-15k based on the condition of the car. I informed the owner to let me know in case he drop the price.
Latheesh is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks