Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2006, 14:38   #46
Senior - BHPian

Hi there

We had the same issue with Tata Dicors initially, when the cars occassionally farted out large amounts of diesel smoke during hard acceleration.

This problem has been sorted out by Tata Motors pretty fast - they did a software mod on the ECU to change the EGR Valve band from 700~2500 rpm to 900~2200 rpm and have also retrofitted a EGR Valve Modulator.

End of smoke.
Old 11th January 2006, 15:44   #47
BHPian

thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
when the cars occassionally farted out large amounts of diesel smoke during hard acceleration.
Here in my friend's case, it emits large amounts of smoke and soot even when the engine is on idle.... so much, his other car that was parked behind the Innova got covered in black when he started the Innova in the morning.
Old 11th January 2006, 18:48   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

This is kinda scary.
Let's hope they do something about it soon.
We will stick to regular diesel for this car if we get it.
Old 11th January 2006, 18:49   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
Hi guys,

Yesterday I was talking to a long time friend of mine about T-BHP and stuff discussed here when the topic about the Innova problems came up. He owns a G3 Diesel Innova that has done about 9K so far. I know he is very particular about his cars and fills ONLY in his usual pump which he has fouud to be reliable over the years. Infact all his cars get filled in that place only, so that leaves out the question of adulterated fuel. Now, he fills only premium (think it is Turbojet) diesel ever since he bought the Innova. He told me about the problems he had been facing lately, which are exactly the same as the ones posted here..... excessive smoke, drop in engine power etc.

I have directed him to print out the thread here and show it to the dealer and see what he says. Looks like he had been assured that the issue will be fixed by the local dealer.

Now, can anyone let me know what specifically we should be looking for ? like if they are just going to clean the injection system and the same problem might occur after another 8-9K or so.... he typically drives about 1K per month max so it could be a very long time before we realise if the problem is going to occur again....

I guess he should insist on a fuel pump change... advices anyone ?

thanks in advance guys.

i switched to regular diesel from turbojet . the results are amazing. black smoke is gone and engine is much more refined.
Old 11th January 2006, 19:03   #50
BHPian

Hi guys,
I have an Innova "V" diesel and am facing the same problem of black smoke. My car has done 11k on the odo. Last Monday the dealer supposedly adjusted the sensor controlling the volume of fuel flowing to the engine (logic=unburnt fuel causing black smoke). The engine did seem smoother and the smoking did seem slightly less while running. However, smoke still emanated even in slightly brisk accelaration. Today the dealer has taken the car again to check the exhaust system (whatever for?). I am hoping for the best.
Vicki_Rau
PS - It is absolutely great to find a forum like BHP and a bunch of like minded petro(and diesel) heads
Old 11th January 2006, 23:04   #51
BHPian

Is regular diesel better ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharad_agl
i switched to regular diesel from turbojet . the results are amazing. black smoke is gone and engine is much more refined.
Will have to ask him to try regular diesel... I am sure it is hard to convince anyone that regular diesel is better

I really don't understand the logic myself, but will just ask him to test anyways.
Old 16th January 2006, 00:50   #52
BHPian

[SIZE=2]RDP,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]My innova was taken by the dealer on Friday. They opened the exhaust system and cleaned/flushed it with a pneumatic line. This was to remove deposits of carbon. There is no black smoke now and the engine is running much smoother.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Spoke to the service incharge, who stated that TKM are working on re-tuning the ECU and that the fix should be done by Feb. 15th..[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Cant understand this BS, they do not accept the problem but will make you pussyfoot around for atleast 2 visits, which in B.lore traffic is crazy. My evening return trip took 3 hours![/SIZE]
Old 16th January 2006, 01:32   #53
jat
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
This is a major problem especially on highways. Only need to fill one tank full of adulterated diesel and your engine(common rail) will see stars.

This problem is there in cities also. But diesel is less likely to be adultrated as the other elements like petrol is expensive and kerosene is not available in plenty and whatever is available will not cause that kind of damage as most of the people are talking about. Another one is naptha and again it is not that commonly available for adulteration to most of the pump.

With diesel adultration, when viscosity goes down, so does the lubricity and causes wear and tear of fuel system moving parts e.g. fuel pump, injectors etc which means bigger expenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
Petrol is also adulterated but to a much lesser extent. The percentage of petrol vehicles travelling on highways is very small. Also, petrol is more difficult to adulterate. Yes, you would be relatively better off with a petrol vehicle. In the city, adulteration is much much lower than on highways.
Petrol is more likely to adultered by diesel as diesel is readily available and there is financial gain also. Many autorickshaw drivers used to mix petrol with diesel on petrol engines driven autos. In this case the engine parts life is generally reduced gradually but immediate effect is high level of pollution.

I am not sure (I have tried to search but unable to get the data on all the fuel specifications in India and hence cannot compare) but the premium diesel may be containing less sulphur (and that's why the dealer may advicing you against using premium diesel, although they may not be knowing the exact reason themselves). And one school of thought consider that reduced sulphur, although reduces the amount of pollution by oxides of sulphur, it lowers the lubricity of the fuel and may cause higher wear and tear in the fuel systems. Even if this theory is supported, the damage cannot be so fast to be noticed with one or two fillings of tank, but will take a many fillings (may be 50~100) to be noticed and much more than that to completely damage the engine.

Last edited by jat : 16th January 2006 at 01:36.
Old 25th February 2006, 02:10   #54
BHPian

Called the dealer as he had committed 15th Feb. for ECU re-map.
Was given some BS that first they will change the cat. convertor and than do the re-map by March 15th.
Lets wait and see, meanwhile the Innova is back to its smoking ways.
Old 10th May 2006, 13:29   #55
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Seeing the number of complaints here, I am happy that my Innova is not giving me any cause for worry till now. It even did a Ooty trip with 5 of us with AC on all the way to the top just before its 10000km oil change service.

Until now there has been no change in the way the engine sounds and it has been smooth and healthy sounding.

It has been fed only ordinary diesel.

Rajesh, Alleppey, Kerala
(Marina LS BSIII, Oct 05, 9713 kms, 14.44 kpl, KL 04 T7722, 53km/day)
(Innova V Diesel, Jun 05, 10023 kms, 12.44 kpl, KL 04 S6336, 33km/day)
Old 10th May 2006, 14:02   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdp
1. There does seem to be an excessive black smoke problem
2. Others have also noticed a degradation in performance of their vehicle.

This seems to be a unadjusted/malfunctioning Fuel pump injector problem.

Since your Innova still is under warranty this should be rectified by Toyota.

Reading through the post this seems to be a universal issue. So maybe this has got to do something with the pump/injector design itself.

How can toyota just do this? I mean how can they just introduce a design without proper testing.? The old qualis didnot have this problem. So Toyota can not say they never knew that fuel quality is bad in India.

Old 17th May 2006, 19:14   #57
Senior - BHPian

The problem is with the fuel pump..espcially the rotary ones..
Old 18th May 2006, 14:14   #58
DRC
BHPian

Recall/fix was due in Feb. Did that really happen?

I am getting a little concerned, as I have put my Petra for sale and planning to buy Diesel Innova V

Last edited by DRC : 18th May 2006 at 14:17.
Old 8th June 2006, 19:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC
Recall/fix was due in Feb. Did that really happen?

I am getting a little concerned, as I have put my Petra for sale and planning to buy Diesel Innova V
My friend got a call from the local Toyota dealer and got his Injector/Pump etc all replaced free of cost. His car is now back to it's old ways. Looks like Toyota is doing a silent recall.... when the cars come in for Service or with a complaint.

Hope this helps all Innova owners out there with the same problem.
Old 8th June 2006, 20:00   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver
My friend got a call from the local Toyota dealer and got his Injector/Pump etc all replaced free of cost. His car is now back to it's old ways. Looks like Toyota is doing a silent recall.... when the cars come in for Service or with a complaint.

Hope this helps all Innova owners out there with the same problem.
Thats good news. Thats the way one must act to serve its Customers. I am sure many Innovas may not have this problem just yet or many people would not even know that this is a problem. Its good that the dealers are doing what is needfull in making TOYOTA a customer friendly & responsible company. Thats how trust is built. It takes years or maybe decades to build a reputation, which could be ruined in record time by sheer indifference and callous attitude of the Dealers/Manufacturer.

Does anybody know of an instance where a dealership was cancelled by the manufacturer for bad service.

So long....

Most Viewed