Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2011, 17:59   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Premier 118NE 'VICEROY'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Glad to see a thread for the Viceroy! What would be the right price for a used Viceroy in a decent condition (1996 & 1997 models)? If anyone has any experience / idea, please do share.
The pricing may not be very different if the seller doesnt see this as a rare/special model. If he indeed knows its special, may be a 10-20% premium may be worth. Dont forget the benefits of lesser rusting. Your premium will be recovered over a period of time in lower maintenance costs

Do you know of a excellent Viceroy for sale. I would be interested if any.
Old 3rd March 2011, 15:58   #32
BHPian

The Viceroy Arrives!

My Father and I are now the proud owners of a 1997 PPL Viceroy! The car is in an excellent condition. More details on it later.

Regards and Keep Revving,

Rahul Waghmare.
Old 3rd March 2011, 18:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

re: Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Its better not to spam a thread if you dont understand some sentiments of the 118NE owners.

I never liked the NE, before i restored one and after that, its undying love to that fantastic car. A comfort level that car offered, none could match it

I remember sitting in a viceroy 11 yrs ago , belonged to my Team Manager at Stanchart, He was so smitten by that car, he never let it go. The Viceroy was a better product, but with the Advent of Maruti tin boxes, the PAL cars started fading at sales.

So what, many of them who own one, will never part with it.

With no offence to 118NE lovers and offtopic too, naming Marutis as tin boxes is not quite right. Whatever you say, maruti did reinvent the landscape of automobiles in India{ with a lot of support from the govt, obviously since govt of india was the primary stake owner}. Marutis are still one of the most reliable vehicles that you have around. Padminis / 118ne / Ambys lost out mainly because of this. My dad had owned all of the above the early fiat with suicide doors, amby mark 3, 3 of padmini 137ds. But the most peaceful ownership experience of the lot was a maruti 800. Small they may be, but as capable as anything around they are.
Old 3rd March 2011, 19:19   #34
BHPian

Hey Rahul,

Congrats on a new buy It would be great if you could share some pictures of the Viceroy! [Both Interiors and Exteriors]. Also if possible do share some reviews on the same like the difference you notice in 118NE and Viceroy etc.
Old 4th March 2011, 03:57   #35
BHPian

The Viceroy Has Arrived!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Do we have any BHPians who own a Viceroy?
My Father and I acquired a 1997 Viceroy on 3rd March 2011!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Hey Rahul,

Congrats on a new buy. It would be great if you could share some pictures of the Viceroy! [Both Interiors and Exteriors]. Also if possible do share some reviews on the same like the difference you notice in 118NE and Viceroy etc.
Thanks for your wishes, Chetu!! Yes, I would be posting pictures and writing a review on the Viceroy over the weekend. Tied up with office work now.
Old 24th March 2011, 11:51   #36
BHPian

Congrats on the purchase! I really envy you. The Viceroy is a rare sight indeed.
Please share a few pictures of the beauty. I'm sure many fans are waiting with bated breath!
Nissan1180 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2011, 17:26   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I really envy you. The Viceroy is a rare sight indeed.
Please share a few pictures of the beauty. I'm sure many fans are waiting with bated breath!
Yes. Scarlet_Rider a.k.a Rahul. Its been a long time you haven't shared any updates of your new acquisition the rare Viceroy.

Please update us soon with some pictures along. Can't wait more.
Old 20th April 2011, 04:31   #38
BHPian

Viceroy Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan1180 View Post
Congrats on the purchase! I really envy you. The Viceroy is a rare sight indeed. Please share a few pictures of the beauty. I'm sure many fans are waiting with bated breath!
Thanks for your wishes Nissan1180!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenDay View Post
Yes. Scarlet_Rider a.k.a Rahul. Its been a long time you haven't shared any updates of your new acquisition the rare Viceroy. Please update us soon with some pictures along. Can't wait more.
Hello Folks!!

Sorry about the delay in responding with details on our Viceroy. Due to personal commitments and office work, I am hardly finding time to post a detailed report. In the mean time, I am attaching pictures of the instruction book (user manual) and it's supplement that came with the car.

The main instruction book is the same that used to come with the regular 118 NE except that PAL has been replaced with PPL. The instruction book supplement is the one that highlights the features of the Viceroy. I am posting pictures of all the pages of the instruction book supplement.

I will be posting details about differences that I observed between our 118 NE and the Viceroy later. Apart from the PPL logo and the Viceroy badge, there are a lot of improvements in the Viceroy when compared to the 118 NE. More on it later. In the mean time please go through the pictures below.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-001.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-002.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s01.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s02.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s03.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s04.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s05.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s06.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s07.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s08.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s09.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s10.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s11.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s12.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s13.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s14.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s15.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s16.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s17.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s18.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s19.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-s20.jpg  

Last edited by Scarlet_Rider : 20th April 2011 at 04:33.
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th April 2011, 14:51   #39
Senior - BHPian

Amazing stuff, and the best news is that she is less prone to rusting now why would your car rust because its in Hyderabad way far from sea, it is under yours and uncles care so no point of rusting. What makes me happy is its a rare variant, brought from a prominent personality, maintained by two die hard lovers.

All the very best to Viceroy and the Bond car of yours (118 NE) and wish both a healthy life, apart from wishing you to get back your old car (Elegant) seriously I will start praying for her to come to you.

Last edited by chanu : 27th April 2011 at 14:52.
chanu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 03:33   #40
BHPian

The Viceroy Story

March 2nd, 2011: Dad comes home for lunch and tells us that his friend has informed him about a Viceroy car that is for sale. We are all excited to hear more about the car. It is a November 1997 PPL (PAL Peugeot Limited) Viceroy, white colour, factory fitted A/C and a single owner car.

What caught our attention the most was the profile of the owner. The owner of the car was a Parsi gentleman who ran a famous multi-brand car garage in Hyderabad. (The garage is still there.) The gentleman expired in 2009 and the car was not being used regularly, hence it was for sale. The car was registered on his wife’s name.

On 2nd March 2011, Dad visited the place where the car was kept and was happy with the overall condition of the car. The car still has the original paint. There are absolutely no signs of rust.

The next day, Dad fixed an appointment with the owner. A person from the owner’s side and Dad got the car home for a test ride. The car was in good condition keeping in mind that it still had the original paint since 1997. We all went for a test ride and were satisfied.

Once we were back, Dad examined the engine bay, interiors and dickey in detail. We then jacked up the car and Dad examined the underbody. It was in good condition. The papers were clear. The car had a new Amaron battery (dated October 2010) and the suspension work was recently done. The deal was finalized and the Viceroy was ours on the 3rd of March 2011!!

The Viceroy finally arrived!!

I will give a detailed report on the differences between the Viceroy and our 118 NE in a couple of days. Posting a few pictures of the car.

Rahul Waghmare.
Attached Thumbnails
Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-001.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-002.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-003.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-004.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-005.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-006.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-007.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-008.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-009.jpg  

Premier 118NE 'VICEROY' - A RARE variant of the 118NE-010.jpg  

Scarlet_Rider is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 09:39   #41
BHPian

wow. Thats a beauty you got there. Lovingly maintained one. I am sure the gentleman Parsi would be happy that his car has gone into to the right hands.
Yes, please post the difference between the 118NE and the Viceroy.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 09:54   #42
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Scarlet Rider Viceroy is looking absolutely fab. Its really superbly maintained by the previous owner and i am sure it will continue to look so and even better in your hands.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2011, 10:21   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Interesting thread. The 118NE was a "luxury" barge back in the days where an in-car AC was considered a rich man's indulgence. Fabulous ad camaign too-the tagline "It makes a lot more car sense" has stayed with me to this day.

A good friend of mine used to own one- must check with him if he still has it.
Old 28th April 2011, 11:55   #44
BHPian

Circa '92: We had a navy blue 118 NE on which i learned most of my driving. The gearbox was butter smooth and the ride was very plush. My dad took lot of pain in looking after that beauty. After a couple of years, we had it dyed White in which she looked extremely elegant and she was taken to Coimbatore (which was the only place in south where you could get quality stuff) to get the upholstery done along with other accessories like a 'National' A/c and a philips cassette player Owned her till 2001 but have fond memories even in 2011 (a bit cheesy, I know!!)
Old 28th April 2011, 12:07   #45
BHPian

@Scarlet_Rider: - That is one beautifully maintained car! The body line is so neat!

In the Viceroy suppliment manual, it shows the seats with head rest. However they do not seem to be there in your car. So was the head actaully provided in any model of the NE or was it just for the books?

Does anyone have the engine bay pic of the car? (Prefrably a new car, I know it is kind of impossible, but just trying my luck) I am asking this because my NE has a lot of clutter in the engine bay and I want to get rid of the unwanted things and make it as clean as possible.

Cheers!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks