Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 13:37   #31
BHPian

Re: Additional registration needed for installing audio system in Kolkata?

Quote:
Originally Posted by soleinkol View Post
Thanks for all the responses, and a very happy 2011 to all of you!

I got the RTO receipt (RC smartcard 30-45 days away) - but for audio it IS 1520/- INR in Beltola RTO (1500 for registration and Rs 20 is for some surcharge etc). So I was not cheated on that aspect!

I would now check if my RC smart card mentions Audio as "Y" (per Blackasta)
Can you please confirm if Audio is mentioned as "Y" in the smart card received from Beltola RTO ?

I was just informed that smart cards for Beltola RTO does not have a mention of the audio registration, no sure if this is true thus wanted to confirm.
Old 19th March 2012, 14:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

I was wondering if some of our esteemed members in WB can find out what happens when a car from outside WB comes there on a trip and we have an audio system in the car. Our RC books do not have this option so will they just let it go as we are from out of town or will they "fine" us. Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 11:00   #33
Senior - BHPian

I want to gift a sony stereo + speakers to my father-in-law, who recently bought an Alto LXi in Chinsurah, WB (Hooghly district). The paperwork does not show extra payment for an audio system. How can he go about getting this paperwork completed before getting the ICE fitted?
Old 13th January 2023, 20:46   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post
... Can you please upload a scanned copy of relevant portion of your smart card, so that I can chase my dealer.
Here it is after almost a decade. Hope this helps.

Additional registration needed for installing audio system in Kolkata?-wbrc2013.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
The smart card should just say Audio: Y
Sorry I cannot put up the pic, as I am in US and the card is in India.
Is it still the case today?
Also do we need to pay the AC and Audio Video Tax every 5 years?

I have a 2022 RC Card for Jazz ( your review helped a lot ) which does not mention AC, Audio or Video but does mention Emission Norm which is missing in this 2013 RC Card thanks to which my 2013 CNG BS IV car is marked as BS III .
Old 13th January 2023, 21:05   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Not anymore, I think this was stopped in 2013 or 2015 and the taxes were subsumed under the normal road tax. When I renewed my previous 2004 reg car's RC in 2019, I had to pay pending music tax from 2004 to 2015.
boniver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 00:21   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I have a 2022 RC Card for Jazz ( your review helped a lot ) which does not mention AC, Audio or Video but does mention Emission Norm which is missing in this 2013 RC Card thanks to which my 2013 CNG BS IV car is marked as BS III .

I believe these crazy fees have since (thankfully!) been withdrawn. No mention of any such item based fee on my 2018 Jazz RC either !
Old 14th January 2023, 05:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I believe these crazy fees have since (thankfully!) been withdrawn. No mention of any such item based fee on my 2018 Jazz RC either !
I've been fined recently as part of 15 year RC renewal. So yeah it still exists and is absolutely a travesty to penalise unsuspecting chaps.
digitalnirvana is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 19:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
I've been fined recently as part of 15 year RC renewal. So yeah it still exists and is absolutely a travesty to penalise unsuspecting chaps.
If possible could you please share more details. Was this a challan which can be tracked in mParivahan or was it a "put it in my pocket please please type". How much was the fine? How it could have been prevented?
rroy92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 21:40   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
It doesn't exist anymore for fresh registrations. Only for cars registered before 2012 or 2014 (I can't recall exactly). If the tax wasn't paid then, it's collected now during the RC renewal. I had paid Rs. 2400 in 2019 for my 2004 registered car @300 per year from 2004 to 2012, which is when I believe the tax was subsumed.
boniver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 21:52   #40
BHPian

Quote:
How it could have been prevented?
Well the payment is Rs 540 per year for duration of registration, per electronic device. I have been asked to pay that for 15 years for audio system as well as dashcam.

The agent we used will collect that when he comes to handover the RC. I've told them that Rs 8000 is more than the cost of the audio system and TPMS so I'm just going to junk them, and not pay this exorbitant amount of Rs 8000 x 2. But he'll for sure charge Rs 540x5 i.e. Rs 2700. Its terrible really.

Way to avoid the payment is to remove them before sending for renewal. I didn't know about the rule so was completely blindsided.

I also forgot to remove tints which they charged Rs 400 to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boniver View Post
It doesn't exist anymore for fresh registrations.
Agreed, but its a nice way to fleece existing owners of older vehicles, who ironically would be the hardest hit financially because I'm assuming most of those who renew after 15 years are senior citizens or perhaps like me they can't afford new cars and thus are holding on to our existing ones.

My car had an audio system but in the RC it was marked N. I didn't know about this rule and took no step to correct it, and was penalised.

Customer friendly way would be to charge a token one time fee and subsume the tax, but it wouldn't fill their coffers.
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:43   #41
BHPian

SOLUTION

If you are in the same situation, applying for a new RC Card should be enough. Thee new layout does not have these fields for AC / Audio Video. In my case, I had applied for Hypothecation Removal and got a new RC card with the new design.

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd March 2023 at 21:29. Reason: Formatting, spacing

Most Viewed