Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2005, 03:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia launched. VTec beater??

Hi to all,

yesterdat my dad received a call for a cedia test drive from the dealer. Its in the showroom on time as issued by HM-mitsubishi.

The old lancer is now being redone with a 1.6 engine and will be out around february or march with new interiors,exteriors and engine. This has been confirmed by the dealer and Times Of India.

Ask Honda to get ready to be beaten in sales again if mitsubishi gets the pricing right.
Old 23rd December 2005, 05:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is music to ears!!
Mitsz guys, its time to hit back at Honda. Prepare for war.
So, Which mivec is coming???
Old 23rd December 2005, 07:56   #3
Team-BHP Support

Forget beating the Honda City VTec. As far as performance is concerned, the Toyota Corolla is the new yardstick to guage other cars by. Will Mitsubishi get there? I doubt it.
Old 23rd December 2005, 09:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

What are the specs and pricing of the car? Wasn't Cedia supposed to be priced in Corolla/Octavia territory? If that's the case then it can't be compared to the City.
Old 23rd December 2005, 09:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

I didnt like the looks :( Its slightly bigger than the Lancer and would cost more than Lancer. Ther was a review about it on a auto mag two months back.

Do you guys know abt Lancer Invex or so? Maybe its 2lit engine wil power teh Cedia

Ther !

http://www.autocarindia.com/new/Information.asp?id=1349

Last edited by jkdas : 23rd December 2005 at 09:43.
Old 23rd December 2005, 10:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wasn't Cedia supposed to be priced in Corolla/Octavia territory? If that's the case then it can't be compared to the City.
Yup, even the article says it's gonna be competition for the Corolla. But, if they get the 1.6 version (as claimed by mitsu), it will fall in the Vtec category.

If a 2ltr version is producing 125bhp (not sure how much that will be in India), a 1.6 should produce around 100. But, if they detune the car for indian conditions, expect that fig to fall by another 8-10 bhp.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 23rd December 2005 at 10:13.
Old 23rd December 2005, 10:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

I, personally didn't like the looks of the Cedia. I don't know if it's going to be the same version as I saw in ACI a few months back but if it is then the looks are really disappointing.
Cedia can have some fun on the sales charts for a few months only. Cedia sales will skid the moment Honda launches it's fantastic new Civic. The Cedia is no match in any parameter compared to the Civic.

Last edited by amit : 23rd December 2005 at 10:36.
Old 23rd December 2005, 10:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

No MIVEC on this engine...the 2.0 I mean.
Old 23rd December 2005, 11:12   #9
BANNED

Let me say this with confidence... The Mitsubishi Cedia will have more than a tough time competing with Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. If Mitsubishi thinks they can take on the might of the Toyota Corolla in India with the Cedia, they are in for a fight they are surely going to lose. In no way will this car be able to take on the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla... The Honda City, maybe. Also, why are we forgetting that the Mitsubishi Lancer/ Cedia are rated as very unsafe cars?

Have I said all this because I hate Mitsubishi? No, sir, I have only stated what makes sense. Also, keep in mind that I was one of the first few who owned a Mitsubishi Lancer in Chennai when it was first launched and I also owned a Mahindra (Mitsubishi) Voyager when it was first launched.

Last edited by MrBoombastic : 23rd December 2005 at 11:13.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hello people. dont get confused.

There are two Lancers.

The current 1.5 will get the new 1.6 engine

The cedia will have the 125hp manual engine plus an invecs engine. Not sure but dealer said it will be the more refiened invecs3 this time. He also said a diesel is in the making. So it will again be 3 engine options as we have with the current lancer right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
Let me say this with confidence... The Mitsubishi Cedia will have more than a tough time competing with Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla. If Mitsubishi thinks they can take on the might of the Toyota Corolla in India with the Cedia, they are in for a fight they are surely going to lose. In no way will this car be able to take on the Honda Civic and Toyota Corolla... The Honda City, maybe. Also, why are we forgetting that the Mitsubishi Lancer/ Cedia are rated as very unsafe cars?

Have I said all this because I hate Mitsubishi? No, sir, I have only stated what makes sense. Also, keep in mind that I was one of the first few who owned a Mitsubishi Lancer in Chennai when it was first launched and I also owned a Mahindra (Mitsubishi) Voyager when it was first launched.
Sir also please read that same article. Its all the media's doing. mitsubishi rated poorly in side impact but made up in frontal crash tests in the same exam. all the journos ins India have said before(until 2002-2003) that lancer is one of the safest cars. though the same doesnt hold true for the 1.5 anymore. Dont forget that Cedia is equipped with ABS and airbags which even corolla doesnt have(no ABS).

old lancer has beaten OHC in sales until many times. And all the magazines have written good things about cedia. HM-Mitsubishi has actually taken inputs from the mag people and improved the car. I dont see why it cannot beat a corolla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
Forget beating the Honda City VTec. As far as performance is concerned, the Toyota Corolla is the new yardstick to guage other cars by. Will Mitsubishi get there? I doubt it.
The 1.6 lancer is not in competition to the corolla. Otherwise I would say that the performance king is Skoda RS. Its the old 1.5 laner that has gone back to the drawing board for the 1.6 and new interiors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
What are the specs and pricing of the car? Wasn't Cedia supposed to be priced in Corolla/Octavia territory? If that's the case then it can't be compared to the City.
yes the cedia is priced in the corolla territory. But the 1.6 engine is supposed to be plonked in the current lancer which is under upgradation. HM engineers promised in the article in the TImes Of India. Its a complete revision this time. The dealer said that Mitsubishi will bring in the 1600cc engine to counter the vtec and optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu
Yup, even the article says it's gonna be competition for the Corolla. But, if they get the 1.6 version (as claimed by mitsu), it will fall in the Vtec category.

If a 2ltr version is producing 125bhp (not sure how much that will be in India), a 1.6 should produce around 100. But, if they detune the car for indian conditions, expect that fig to fall by another 8-10 bhp.

Shan2nu

I dont think so. Coz thats wat the current 1.5 is producing.

I guess it will be within 95-105hp
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:28   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBoombastic
It will majorly depend on the pricing my friend.The Cedia is not a bad product.My Dad's Lancer had more than 2lac+kms onthe dash and had been reasonably cheap to own. Let us wait and see where they price it at. I spoke to the dealer in B'lore today and he does not have any clue about the existing Lancer being upgraded.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:34   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Hello people. dont get confused.

There are two Lancers.

The current 1.5 will get the new 1.6 engine

The cedia will have the 125hp manual engine plus an invecs engine. Not sure but dealer said it will be the more refiened invecs3 this time. He also said a diesel is in the making. So it will again be 3 engine options as we have with the current lancer right now.

Dont forget that Cedia is equipped with ABS and airbags which even corolla doesnt have(no ABS).
A Diesel- Do you have any information on the specs Devarishi?
The recent upgade on the Corolla includes the ABS.
Old 23rd December 2005, 12:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

I don't like the looks of Cedia. it looks similar to ugly NHC (but many people like NHC & so cedia)
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

Tell HM/Mitsubishi to,
a) Run FE campaigns with OD and few other mags.
b) Provide nice plush looking interiors.

They will have more realistic chance of competing against City/Vtec.
Old 23rd December 2005, 13:23   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Sir also please read that same article. Its all the media's doing. mitsubishi rated poorly in side impact but made up in frontal crash tests in the same exam. all the journos ins India have said before(until 2002-2003) that lancer is one of the safest cars. though the same doesnt hold true for the 1.5 anymore. Dont forget that Cedia is equipped with ABS and airbags which even corolla doesnt have(no ABS).
Devarshi, my fellow patriot and dear friend, the Corolla has always had airbags right from day one (2003) and the current Corolla has ABS, bhai. Dev, I'm not talking of just the Indian scene or the old Lancer when I say Lancer/ Cedia is unsafe... Bhai, I'm speaking of 2005 and the global scene... I remember, even on our forum there is a thread about most unsafe cars and Lancer is rated third from bottom or so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay
It will majorly depend on the pricing my friend.The Cedia is not a bad product.My Dad's Lancer had more than 2lac+kms onthe dash and had been reasonably cheap to own. Let us wait and see where they price it at. I spoke to the dealer in B'lore today and he does not have any clue about the existing Lancer being upgraded.
Ajay, so very right... Pricing is one of the most important keys to sucess. If you notice, I mentioned I owned a Lancer, but never mentioned having any problems in maintainance. The only problem I see when looking at the Cedia/ Lancer is the safety bit... Oh! It was just 77bhp when it was just launched here, but that point has no relevance to this discussion.

Like Ajay said, if the pricing is right things can change in a big way. Let's not forget, in our country, autorickshaws, 800s, Sumos and many more unsafe vehicles still sell in very large numbers.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks