Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2010, 18:46   #61
BHPian

Spoke to an exec in the Pune showroom, the X1 is expected in Dec/Jan....wasnt in a position to give out more info. Just cant wait to take it for a TD!!!
Old 14th September 2010, 18:22   #62
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
BMW guys take you for a TD in the road with no speed breakers. Around my house there are so many speed breakers they said it will be better if you come to our showroom.

The X1 makes more sense in those cases.
Agreed. For those who need that extra ground clearance or drive in slippery situations, a crossover could make sense. Note however that, over my 525d test, it really didn't scrape over the worst of speed breakers. And if you live on such rough roads, a proper SUV is probably better suited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSriva View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that fact. However, could you please care explaining why and which crossover you drove was bad?
Sedans handle better, are quicker and more efficient than crossovers. What exactly does a crossover do that a sedan can't? Proper SUVs, on the other hand, are usually body-on-frames (more robust), can seat 7 (most of them) and have selectable 4x4 (not primary FWD). Crossovers are little more than sedans on stilettos. At a cheaper price (their sedan equivalent), I can have a vehicle that's as high quality and far better to drive.

Quote:
How could you even think of this!! There should be significant numbers in the first place before they can be hit
You need to check my August 2010 sales analysis. The Outlander is the best selling Mitsubishi in India and manages surprisingly respectable sales numbers. Atleast over the recent past.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:42   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sedans handle better, are quicker and more efficient than crossovers. What exactly does a crossover do that a sedan can't? Proper SUVs, on the other hand, are usually body-on-frames (more robust), can seat 7 (most of them) and have selectable 4x4 (not primary FWD). Crossovers are little more than sedans on stilettos. At a cheaper price (their sedan equivalent), I can have a vehicle that's as high quality and far better to drive.
Your interpretation is correct, though the context in which I had posted my query was different (as under):
Quote:
Coming back to the point these crosovers according to me ... drive badly
Quote:
Reason why I am asking this question is globally crossovers are considered to be good handlers and SUVs the worst.
Though personally I feel these stilettos come in extremely handy given lakes for roads we have during monsoons and the resultant craters for roads on account of lethargy of civic/municipal agencies for most of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You need to check my August 2010 sales analysis. The Outlander is the best selling Mitsubishi in India and manages surprisingly respectable sales numbers. Atleast over the recent past.
August aside, what were the numbers before Outlander did? However, I for one, am really happy with the numbers OL did in August and would definitely wish the trend to continue.
Old 14th September 2010, 21:12   #64
Senior - BHPian

This discussion seems centered around urban driving conditions. All I have to say is, considering how often my Dad takes the car out on long-distance drives to the outskirts of the city (and beyond) for site visits, an X1 would have made immense sense for us at the price, instead of a C/3. These days, about half of his such trips are in the Corolla because he knows the 3 will either not make it or come too close to scraping the underside.

Also, crossovers do have an advantage over sedans where a person who is uncomfortable with low seating is looking out for a premium car. I believe that the elderly would definitely prefer sliding into an X1 than crawling into a C/3.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:05   #65
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Your interpretation is correct, though the context in which I had posted my query was different (as under)
Ah, in reply to ac427? I don't agree with him. Crossovers drive rather well for their SUV'ish stance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
All I have to say is, considering how often my Dad takes the car out on long-distance drives to the outskirts of the city (and beyond) for site visits
Not sure what kind of terrain those site visits have, but I've toured practically every corner of Maharashtra in my C (atleast the most popular destinations). Never really faced an issue, or terrain where I wished I had an SUV. Indian highway quality has also come a long way. The drive from Bombay to Nasik / Pune / Goa / Gujarat (and most other routes) is A+.
Old 15th September 2010, 22:18   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW Gurgaon has the X1 parked in the basement. My cousin checked out the car, According to him X1 has decent quality interiors but the GC is really low. The X1 is expected to come in only RWD configuration here with the same 2.0 litre engine as the 320d.
Old 27th September 2010, 22:23   #67
BHPian

Launch seems to be on track for Dec 2010 as confirmed by NDTV Car and Bike show this weekend
Old 4th October 2010, 17:27   #68
BHPian

Found the pictures of X1 here

Auto News India - BMW X1 Spy pictures | CarDekho.com

Source: Cardekho.com
Old 5th October 2010, 16:30   #69
BHPian

One More Link for this

BMW X1: All about the Rs 30-lakh beauty! : Rediff.com Business

Some highlights:-

BMW had showcased the X1 at the Delhi Auto Expo and the company is planning to price it between Rs 25 (Rs 2.5 million) to 30 lakh (Rs 3 million).

The car is expected to be available in five variants with a diesel engine in both manual and automatic transmission option.

1995cc, 4-cylinder, 16-valve, diesel engine that produces 143bhp of maximum power at 4000rpm with 320Nm of maximum torque at 1750-2500rpm.

BMW X1 is loaded with ABS (antilock braking system), EBD (electronic brake-force distribution), dual front airbags and side ITS head airbags, alarm system with remote control, engine immobiliser, front and rear anti roll bars, central locking, child lock, crash sensor, front and rear fog lamps, halogen headlamps, front and rear seat belts with pre-tensioner, belt force limiter and side impact protection.

Last edited by KALINGA : 5th October 2010 at 16:31.
Old 6th October 2010, 01:03   #70
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2010 at 09:12.
arin_12 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 6th October 2010, 08:58   #71
BHPian

Today's Hindustan Times's HT Cafe also confirms that BMW will be launching X1 here in India in October for 25 Lakhs. BMW will locally assemble X1 here in India to bring its cost down. There will a huge boot space available at rear i.e. 420 litres, much bigger that Honda CR-V & X1 will be having 6-Speed automatic transmission.
There will be two engine options available:
1. 2.0L Turbo Diesel Engine (Same as 3-Series & 5-Series) - 177 BHP.
2. 2.5L In-Line 6-Cylinder Petrol Engine (Same as 523i) - 204 BHP.
Old 6th October 2010, 09:33   #72
Senior - BHPian

@ Arin : X1 is a new series altogether which is just hitting the market.

Last edited by GTO : 20th October 2010 at 09:13. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted
Old 6th October 2010, 12:33   #73
BHPian

Another website has spy pictures of what looks like a test production car in india. Can anyone track down higher quality spy images?

Auto News India - BMW X1 Spy pictures | CarDekho.com
Old 6th October 2010, 12:44   #74
Senior - BHPian

Just to clear my confusion..which SUVs is the X1 actually be pitted against apart from the CRV ?? The Q5 clearly is a lot more expensive and also bigger in size. The engines on offer in the Q are also more powerful. So is it only to be the CRV ?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:50   #75
BHPian

I was recently in Europe and saw the X1 many times. I can definitely say that it will be super hit in India even if costs more than 25 lacs.

Its not as big or grand as the X5 (obvious I know) but it definitely has a good appeal and should suit the India buyer's must have list, except the third row of seats.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks