Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2010, 10:45   #106
Senior - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 Will you buy it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saptarshi B View Post
- If you could, would you buy the loaded Fortuner / Captiva with a disel mill or a BMW X1 ?
First of all, I disagree to the above statement of yours. The BMW is definitely more loaded than the Fortuner which is infact bare basic with just 2 airbags & ABS as safety features.

The Bimmer has got everything from side airbags to powered seats to dual zone ACC to even USB slot!!

The only advantage Fortuner has over X1 is the third row seating, 4WD & rear AC vents which is a huge bonus. But if you consider the BMW brand image, these are no deal breakers.

I would definitely go for the Bimmer when the time is right...
Old 25th December 2010, 11:51   #107
BHPian

What the Fortuner commands for in terms of sheer size and road presence, the X1 makes up with the white and blue propeller logo !!

I am with you on this. The Fortuner had come in and taken the game away from the SUV market.

Now its BMWs turn. I can see the waiting period for the Fortuner reducing with the X1 already haveing over a 1000 bookings within a day of its launch !
Old 25th December 2010, 12:03   #108
Senior - BHPian

I would NOT buy a BMW X1 because of the following reasons -

Their Ownership costs are way higher than the rest of the competition and this is not only India BUT all over the world. Their spare parts cost a bomb and service charges are high.

The X1 comes with a puny 1.8 engine petrol which is not really performance oriented.

The loaded version is 30 lacs and OTR will be even more so 22 lacs is not really what an X1 costs.

The following SUV's are in direct competition more or less with the X1 -

Toyota Fortuner - Its biggest competitor. The huge waiting period on this one and the 20 lac + price tag will make its owners think twice and bare basic luxury add ons.

HONDA CRV - a good suv but deperately needs a diesel mill like rest of the world has.

Captiva - overall a very very good package BUT GM After sales is a bit dicy.

Endeavour - my personal favourite - has all the right tick marks BUT design is a generation old.

Outlander - absolutely marvelous SUV and looks / drives great. But HM / Mitsubishi dealer.

Skoda Yeti - Looks small BUT is very very clever.

I'd personally go in for an Endeavour / Fortuner.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:24   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
The only advantage Fortuner has over X1 is the third row seating, 4WD & rear AC vents which is a huge bonus. But if you consider the BMW brand image, these are no deal breakers.
You have missed the main +point of Toyota, it is known for its "Trouble free ownership and reliability" which no German manufacturer today provides at least based on owners feedback.

Entry level model costs 22L and OTR will come up to 27L in chennai (Considering 15% road tax and 8% insurance), which is no way cheaper when compared to its competitor.

If you have complaints about Fortuner not offering any luxury add-ons then switch to Yeti which offers lot of bells and whistles and comes with a efficient diesel engine.

Any given day I will either go for Yeti (provides good VFM) or Fortuner (for its reliability, trouble free ownership and looks)
Old 25th December 2010, 12:32   #110
BHPian

This is especially relevant to me because I went through this process before finally buying my Fortuner.
i thought of the loaded X1 long and hard, along with the outlander before I finalized on the fortuner. Staying on topic, my thoughts on the x1 were as follows:

1) This is subjective, but I dislike the way it looks. Too small, too strange lines, and not enough presence. It is essentially as tall as my accord. The fortuner dwarfs it

2) tiny engines. Especially when I get 3 litres in my fortuner.

3) Do not like the image associated with small SUV's.

4) Want peace of mind when i do venture off-road, rare as it may be.

All in all, I know that you cannot compare the 2 brands, and the bmw would probably handle better and feel more premium, the fortuner was a no brainer for me.

Very pleased with it so far, only complaint would be ride and brakes. The interiors are not as bad as people say. I own an innova and I can safely say that there are enough different parts to make it stand apart.
Old 25th December 2010, 12:33   #111
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : One-liners that add ZERO value to the thread are strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, they are considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 25th December 2010 at 17:54.
Zero Cool is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th December 2010, 13:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

1000 people have already pre bought it.
Old 25th December 2010, 13:24   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW X1 launched at 22 lakhs! Details on pg. 7!

Note from Moderator: Threads merged. Please continue the discussion here. Thanks
Old 25th December 2010, 14:30   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The BMW is definitely more loaded than the Fortuner which is infact bare basic with just 2 airbags & ABS as safety features.
Spot on... What I like about the premium Germans (read BMW and Mercedes) is they always bring their latest to India, and absolutely no compromise on the safety offerings. Look at X1 - from the base CE to Cool Elegance, standard safety features are in abundance. Where as Mass Market leaders like Toyota or even VW think that safety is premium, and should be confined only to top end models (that too, normally just ABS and two front airbags). And not to talk about the way they bring retired engines, or heavy quality compromise on some India specific models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I would NOT buy a BMW X1 because of the following reasons -

The X1 comes with a puny 1.8 engine petrol which is not really performance oriented.
Sorry to disagree, I guess judging a car by engine size is getting to be thing from the past. All major manufacturers are into engine downsizing. In a couple of years even F1 has plans to go with 1.6L engines. And at home, look at the 1.4L Fiat T-Jet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
The following SUV's are in direct competition more or less with the X1 -

Toyota Fortuner - Its biggest competitor. The huge waiting period on this one and the 20 lac + price tag will make its owners think twice and bare basic luxury add ons.

HONDA CRV - a good suv but deperately needs a diesel mill like rest of the world has.

Captiva - overall a very very good package BUT GM After sales is a bit dicy.

Endeavour - my personal favourite - has all the right tick marks BUT design is a generation old.

Outlander - absolutely marvelous SUV and looks / drives great. But HM / Mitsubishi dealer.

Skoda Yeti - Looks small BUT is very very clever.

I'd personally go in for an Endeavour / Fortuner.
Missing a key point here. Even in BMW terms, they have never stated X1 as an SUV. Its a cross-over, which have some butch but retain most of the sedan-like qualities. From the above list, a comparison with the Yeti, CR-V etc. does make sense. For me, Fortuner and Endeavour belongs to a different segment, and caters different sensibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
You have missed the main +point of Toyota, it is known for its "Trouble free ownership and reliability" which no German manufacturer today provides at least based on owners feedback.
This can be subjective, or maybe more of a relative conclusion. I have not seen many BMW owners complaining about the ownership costs, or reliability issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
1000 people have already pre bought it.
Not surprising at all... The product calls for attention, and the desirability factor is so huge.
I have a feeling that these cross-overs - X1, Yeti etc. are going to do really well in India.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:29   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This can be subjective, or maybe more of a relative conclusion. I have not seen many BMW owners complaining about the ownership costs, or reliability issues.
Toyota is accepted globally as most trusted and reliable vehicle (Nothing subjective here)
Please check through the forum and see how many customers have complained about BMW and Merc, mostly about failure in the middle of the road.
Old 25th December 2010, 16:47   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post

Sorry to disagree, I guess judging a car by engine size is getting to be thing from the past. All major manufacturers are into engine downsizing. In a couple of years even F1 has plans to go with 1.6L engines. And at home, look at the 1.4L Fiat T-Jet.
Thats true but here the 1.8 petrol with only 157bhp is a slouch. I mean cars which are half the price will keep up with it. Now for a person who is just buying it as a weekend/going for wedding car then it makes perfect sense, the 1.8 i.e.
Old 25th December 2010, 17:11   #117
BHPian

1000 bookings within 24 hours of it's launch is something even BMW wouldn't have anticipated. Germans truly feel like that 20L is their territory now and it's high time that others (Read Toyota, Mitsubishi, Honda etc.) should shift their gears real quick.

Crossover or SUV - People tend to go for bigger and better toys these days. I bet 99% of all Fortuner or Pajero owners would never do some serious off-roading. It's status symbol for them all the way.

X1 will definitely eat into Fortuner sales and will probably leave others gasping for breath in this category. Competition . We all wish to see overpriced vehicles like Pajero drop well below 12L to light up this segment just like Skoda Superb did to others in it's category.
Old 25th December 2010, 18:16   #118
Senior - BHPian

I am still waiting for the 4x4 diesel MT to arrive in India. Then we will have some thing to compare Yeti with. Fortuner in my opinion is not in the same league and should not be considered.

As far as Pajero goes, barring its engine it beats the Fortuner in every other aspect.

Last edited by Aroy : 25th December 2010 at 18:20.
Old 25th December 2010, 18:28   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The BMW is definitely more loaded than the Fortuner which is infact bare basic with just 2 airbags & ABS as safety features.

The Bimmer has got everything from side airbags to powered seats to dual zone ACC to even USB slot!!

Really ? Have you seen a BMW X1 and sat inside it ? I recently had a chance to do so at BMW Welt in Munich, and also in X5 and X7, 3-series, 5-series etc. X1 has hardly any space for the rear seats. Most BMW with 2-rows of seating are for max 4-people. The central tunnel is like a hill (even in the X5 and higher), and only usable for kids for a short time.

So, while X1 is a competent and attractive offering, don't compare it with CRV, Fortuner, Outlander etc - they are for entirely different needs and segments.
Old 25th December 2010, 19:21   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post

Entry level model costs 22L and OTR will come up to 27L in chennai (Considering 15% road tax and 8% insurance), which is no way cheaper when compared to its competitor.
Yes, the fortuner will offer peace of mind since its a toyota but i guess BMW will not be too far behind either.

Also, the BMW brand image & status is unmatchable by toyota.

Quote:
If you have complaints about Fortuner not offering any luxury add-ons then switch to Yeti which offers lot of bells and whistles and comes with a efficient diesel engine.

Any given day I will either go for Yeti (provides good VFM) or Fortuner (for its reliability, trouble free ownership and looks)
The Yeti is too small for us! I would prefer a Captiva over it anyday. Atleast the X1 has the BMW brand as it's saving grace.

Lets face it, when we spend huge bucks, we do consider brand image. I would obviously love owning a "BMW" instead of a toyota or skoda, even if it means adjusting with some minor compromises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Really ? Have you seen a BMW X1 and sat inside it ? I recently had a chance to do so at BMW Welt in Munich, and also in X5 and X7, 3-series, 5-series etc. X1 has hardly any space for the rear seats. Most BMW with 2-rows of seating are for max 4-people. The central tunnel is like a hill (even in the X5 and higher), and only usable for kids for a short time.

So, while X1 is a competent and attractive offering, don't compare it with CRV, Fortuner, Outlander etc - they are for entirely different needs and segments.
Hmmm, i never compared the X1 with fortuner for space. All i said was the X1 is more "loaded".

Most Viewed