Old 25th December 2010, 19:28   #121

Re: BMW X1 Will you buy it ?

Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Thats true but here the 1.8 petrol with only 157bhp is a slouch. I mean cars which are half the price will keep up with it. Now for a person who is just buying it as a weekend/going for wedding car then it makes perfect sense, the 1.8 i.e.
Agree with you Akshay. the 1.8 with 157bhp does not sound exciting for a BMW. But well - they're providing an option for those who want a cheaper BMW. Same like the 320i CE
Old 25th December 2010, 19:33   #122

Re: BMW X1 launched at 22 lakhs! Details on pg. 7!

Somewhat ! What could be the price of a used lowest price X1 three years from now? I must start planning as I would not be able to afford a new BMW!
Old 25th December 2010, 19:43   #123

Are people forgetting about the Sante Fe? Had a funny incident yesterday at a Hyundai dealer in Chandigarh, while inquiring about the SUV from the sales guy who quite happily informed me that people were making bookings for Sante Fe after rejecting the X1.
Old 26th December 2010, 00:26   #124

Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Hmmm, i never compared the X1 with fortuner for space. All i said was the X1 is more "loaded".
Well, I read it different I guess. You said the "only" thing Fortuner has over X1 was 3rd row seating, 4WD,...
I was trying to say that forget 3rd row, even 1st and 2nd row are much better in the Fortuner or any of the other Jap SUVs in that price bracket. The base versions don't get iDrive, Nav, Xenons etc etc, so the specs are mid-of-line I think (more than Fortuner, but less than some others) - however, it does score in driving dynamics & safety tech, and also is pretty peppy in both petrol & diesel variants.

BTW, xDrive18i actually has 2l engine not a 1.8l - so, it makes a decent 150bhp and isn't underpowered ...
Old 26th December 2010, 03:12   #125

Agree with you Akshay. the 1.8 with 157bhp does not sound exciting for a BMW. But well - they're providing an option for those who want a cheaper BMW. Same like the 320i CE
well with todays tech, engine size is a thing of the past, its all about the tech the engine has more then the size, turbochargers/superchargers with less displacement engines is the thing of the future, even F1 is going that way from 2013, nowdays the tech is so good that a 1.8l turbocharged engine can give a 2.4l V6 a run for its money
Old 26th December 2010, 09:24   #126

Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well, I read it different I guess. You said the "only" thing Fortuner has over X1 was 3rd row seating, 4WD,...
I was trying to say that forget 3rd row, even 1st and 2nd row are much better in the Fortuner or any of the other Jap SUVs in that price bracket. The base versions don't get iDrive, Nav, Xenons etc etc, so the specs are mid-of-line I think (more than Fortuner, but less than some others) - however, it does score in driving dynamics & safety tech, and also is pretty peppy in both petrol & diesel variants.

BTW, xDrive18i actually has 2l engine not a 1.8l - so, it makes a decent 150bhp and isn't underpowered ...
yes, thats what i said. the fortuner is more spacious & the only advantage it has over X1 is 3 rows of comfortable seating & 4WD. but for those looking for an "urban" SUV, the X1 makes sense as i dont think many fortuner owners take it for off roading anyways!

i think even the base X1 is decently loaded. not comparing to the fortuner since the fortuner is pretty basic.

the base X1 has 4 airbags & DSC, powered seats, dual zone ACC, etc. if we compare this to the santa fe, then the X1 suddenly seems basic! but as i said, i would buy a BMW over a Hyundai & adjust without some features!
Old 26th December 2010, 10:34   #127

In terms of driveability BMW petrol is not going to be a slouch either compared to the others.
BMW 18i has power to weight ratio of 99hp & 132nm of torque to weight ratio.
Compare this to Honda CRV has 95hp & 128NM; Outlander has 105HP & 139NM; Fortuner 87hp & 175Nm; Captiva 82HP & 175NM of power & torque to weight ratio.

Compared to the Petrol variants out there BMW is upto the mark. Driveability I suppose is not going to an issue. Ofcourse the diesel variant will be more exciting to drive compared to the petrol with 113Hp & 223Nm of power & torque to weight ratio. But for the one who is not going to cover much of mileage over the years 2.25Lakhs saving can be added to the fuel expenses.
BMW is targeting both customers who are directed towards petrol variants of SUV or rather crossovers as well as diesel.
It may not have advantage with what Fortuner or Ende could do but for brand value X1 will steal some market.
Old 26th December 2010, 16:15   #128

Originally Posted by Invinsible View Post
In terms of driveability BMW petrol is not going to be a slouch either compared to the others.
BMW 18i has power to weight ratio of 99hp & 132nm of torque to weight ratio.
Compare this to Honda CRV has 95hp & 128NM; Outlander has 105HP & 139NM; Fortuner 87hp & 175Nm; Captiva 82HP & 175NM of power & torque to weight ratio.

Compared to the Petrol variants out there BMW is upto the mark. Driveability I suppose is not going to an issue. Ofcourse the diesel variant will be more exciting to drive compared to the petrol with 113Hp & 223Nm of power & torque to weight ratio. But for the one who is not going to cover much of mileage over the years 2.25Lakhs saving can be added to the fuel expenses.
BMW is targeting both customers who are directed towards petrol variants of SUV or rather crossovers as well as diesel.
It may not have advantage with what Fortuner or Ende could do but for brand value X1 will steal some market.
I think you make an excellent point. Its all about power to weight. We sometimes forget that!
Old 26th December 2010, 16:38   #129

Don't know how Fortuner can be a competition to X1. They are in two different categories. Anyboby looking for a diesel, 7 seat, space, 4X4, Ownership costs, ***, Pricing (24+ OTR in Bangalore) will simply pick up the Fortuner. Its a no-brainer. All the above are lacking in X1 (except diesel mill). X1 is more for the Yuppies / atmost an alternative to 3 series (30+ OTR).
Old 26th December 2010, 20:31   #130

This is purely my Opinion.. (maybe some of my friends as well).. Pls don't pounce on me if you don't agree

Owning B-Mer is a different feel altogether. The superior handling of B-Mer makes it a joy to drive. I want to thank BWM for getting X1 at a killer price. Agreed, some of the features are missing but I really don't care since B-Mer is all about "Feel and handling"

Im super confident in above statement because I was owning 3 series back in US for couple of years (purchased that for $8000 (pre-owned) in 2007). I think BMW offered the best of handling compared to a dozen other companies.

I cannot afford to buy a new X1 here, but will certainly own a pre-owned one after 3-4 years...

Last edited by harishpr : 26th December 2010 at 20:34.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:06   #131

Honda might as well just discontinue the CR-V.. its not going to sell even in double digits now that the X1 has been launched.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:26   #132

Are there any plans for Audi or Merc to bring in an X1 competitor to Indian shores?

@AbhiJ: For CR-V they need to reduce the price drastically and bring in a diesel mill. From what I have heard, Honda is considering to launch diesel CRV in the near future. (Heard from dealer in Pune). If honda does not do this, then they might discontinue it.
Old 27th December 2010, 00:32   #133

Though not a true substitue for a Beemer SUV, at that price who really cares.

In Bangalore the base version should come to around 26-27 max. Decent buy none the less
Old 27th December 2010, 00:32   #134

Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
1) Too small
Its essentially as wide and as long as the CR-V, give or take a couple of inches.

Originally Posted by tvrspeed12 View Post
tiny engines. Especially when I get 3 litres in my fortuner.
BMX X1 1.8 ltr petrol
110 Kw
200 Nm Torque
0-100 : 10.4 secs

BMW X1 2.0 ltr Diesel
130 Kw
350 Nm Torque
0-100 in 8.3 secs

Toyota Fortuner 3.0 Ltr Diesel
126 KW
343 Nm Torque
0-100 in 12.7 secs.

Nuf Said !

Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
@AbhiJ: For CR-V they need to reduce the price drastically and bring in a diesel mill.
Pricing for CR-V has been a complete disaster.

I got my CR-V 2.0L in 2008. If i remember correct the ex showroom then was 17.6 lacs. Even at that price, the car wasnt exactly "value for money". Honda's current ex showroom price for the same model is 22.8 lacs.
Old 27th December 2010, 09:20   #135

We're comparing the X1 with the Fortuner which will happen as buyers will cross shop between the 2.

No one seems to have mentioned the Yeti. The Yeti is exactly the same segment as the X1 i.e. softroader. The interior space is similar in both cars. Both cars have diesel engines that are really good.

Even brand value is pretty decent for Skoda atleast compared to Toyota.

Features wise, the Yeti has 4X4 but only a manual box.

If Skoda launch a Yeti DSG they can take the fight right up to the X1. The Yeti is more practical, has better go anywhere capability and will be a little cheaper to maintain than the BMW.

Between the X1 and Yeti it is very difficult to decide.