Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2010, 09:30   #136
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: BMW X1 launched at 22 lakhs! Details on pg. 7!

given the premium indian consumer's penchant for SUV's and top marques like Beemer, at this price the BMW X1 has the potential to become the single biggest game changer for BMW.
First the Corporate Executive Edition of the 320 and now this!! Seems that BMW have begun to understand what make us Indian consumers tick.

Over to merc to see what they will do to combat this!

Of course, acquisition may be easy - but it is another matter completely about sustained and sustainable maintenance!

But this is good overall because the used market will also get a massive fillip, with some world class cars becoming available for people on a stricter budget.
Old 27th December 2010, 11:03   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Between the X1 and Yeti it is very difficult to decide.
Yeti is no doubt quite capable. It could do better off road than the X1 even if the X1 came with 4wheel drive, thanks to the shorter wheel base and overhangs in the Yeti.

But, let's not forget people going to opt for the sheer brand value with the BMW name. Most of the people here look at the brand value over the features most of the time. When I had gone to book the 3 series, there were couple of the customers who came in for booking 3 series but walked out booking the X1. These are the people who are in their late 40s & early 50s with teenage kids, who would always suggest "it's an SUV dad and it's better than sedan". Obvious most of them think from what their children, wife and rest of them suggest. Even the ones in late 20's with all moolah will surely think more about the brand more than what the car has to offer.
Majority of them would barely take their BMW for off road, merely with the thought that it could harm the car in some way and will be extra careful before they do. People who are of the thoughts with spending few lakhs more and getting BMW, will surely be the one to get it.
For people who are going to opt for the Outlander, Captiva, Xtrail, are surely going to think over and will have a look at the X1.

Yeti in comparison looks kinda VFM against X1. With space, luggage room, features being the same or even more in Yeti and along with the 4x4 with LSD is surely worth going for in crossover class.

Last edited by Invinsible : 27th December 2010 at 11:11.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:14   #138
BHPian

I finally did get around to visiting the Skodas for a look at the Yeti. Somehow the dimensions are way too compact for my liking.

Am hoping the X1 at least a bigger 'look' than the Yeti, dimensions notwithstanding.
Old 28th December 2010, 18:38   #139
Senior - BHPian

i saw the X1 in flesh & it definitely is & looks bigger than the Yeti.
Old 29th December 2010, 13:27   #140
BHPian

Just returned from the bmw showroom. The X1 is "Amazing"! The car in the parking lot was in white, but then I saw the black one inside the showroom and was totally blown away.

The Good-
---finish is excellent, i dont know why people are complaining about the plastics. they are just as good as they are on the 3 series/c class
---the car [specifically in black] is SIMPLY AMAZING...i mean ive been researching the car for months now...you just HAVE to see it in person
---for me, its the perfect crossover, a little higher than the 3 series but not as bulky as the x5. the car is not TOO big and not TOO small...just ticks the right boxes for an urban SUV
---front seats are awesome
---the alloys look great
---bmw financing options are good....loan interest around 9% [thoughts?]
---panoramic sunroof is simply WOW

The not soo good--
---Rear leg room is a little more than the 3 series, not great, can get cramped with the hand-rest down
---expected more space in the boot[there really isint too much to speak of]
---i expected more out of the idrive, there isint any GPS option at launch. so its only music/radio, so not really much differentiating the basic and highline other than the xenons upfront
---I doubt that the CE version will come with the corona rings upfront....something im not too happy with :(...the dealer said he would check back and confirm this....please share if you have any more info on this

[i have taken a few exterior pics....will upload this evening]
Old 29th December 2010, 21:13   #141
BHPian

Can somebody confirm the claims made by Bird Automotive,Gurgaon that the corporate edition X1 20d not under production untill mar 11, hence deliveries would start April onwards.
I want to acquire X1 in january 2011 if under production
Old 30th December 2010, 10:08   #142
Senior - BHPian

By introducing X1, BMW paved a way to buy a BMW to many BMW lovers. A car like SUV from BMW is something I love to buy any day. It will certainly drag the attention of Yeti, Fortuner etc buyers, which is quite normal and obvious.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:34   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Albatross. View Post
Can somebody confirm the claims made by Bird Automotive,Gurgaon that the corporate edition X1 20d not under production untill mar 11, hence deliveries would start April onwards.
I want to acquire X1 in january 2011 if under production
apparently all the cars that are currently in the showrooms are CBU units, as production has just started. No word on when people who have booked will receive the cars but it should be in the next 3-4 months.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:25   #144
Team-BHP Support

A friend in b'lore who went to purchase the base X1 diesel was told that (a) deliveries will be in Mar / Apr and (b) prices are likely to rise by approx 3 lakhs by then and the revised pricing will apply.

What is the point of this initial pricing declared if even the first lot of customers are being told they'll have to pay revised prices that are substantially higher?
Old 30th December 2010, 14:53   #145
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I feel the price should not be affected since the cars current stock are CBU and the cars delivered then will be CKD, unless BMW follows the low inaugural price approach.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:10   #146
Senior - BHPian

Thats strange.Why would BMW import a few a CBUs and then shift to CKD?I guess the CBUs are just for display,test drive purpose from the initial lot.

And also if it is going to be sold in CKD version later prices should fall rather than increase.
Old 30th December 2010, 23:31   #147
Senior - BHPian

Personally, from the looks department I may prefer to go in for the Fortuner for its Butch look. But the 2.0L Diesel performance stats of the x1 will change me towards that direction

At the end of the day, one is a BMW and the other is just a Toyota
Old 31st December 2010, 00:57   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Let's not forget Hyundai came with the Santa-Fe at a price point higher than the Fortuner and closer to X1, they were able to manage to sell all of the quota they had for this year.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:31   #149
Senior - BHPian

If readily available, I would be really confused between Santa Fe & the X1. I would not consider the Fortuner when these are available... I know the Fortuner costs a lakh less than the Santa Fe but it is worth much less, totally my opinion.

Advantages of SF over X1:
1) Similar performance to X1
2) Three rows of comfortable seating
3) AC vents on all rows
4) Butch looks when compared to X1
5) High GC
6) Cheaper spares & upkeep costs
7) Feature loaded when compared to X1
8) More spacious when compared to X1

Advantages of X1 over SF:
1) The BMW badge, thats more than enough!

Last edited by raj_5004 : 31st December 2010 at 09:32.
Old 31st December 2010, 10:01   #150
Senior - BHPian

Can someone compile the features of the X1 vis-a-vis the competitors like Santa Fe/Fortunner and others?

For me, owning a BMW overshadows some minor feature disadvantage it might have

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks