Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2011, 07:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Increasing CS (sub-4 meter) sedans in India

Tata, is always a manufacturer who creates a new segment.

Same with its CS version. After the recent scoop on the famous Amby as CS version, Logan already in the news, now its time for Maruti. Yes, the dezire is loosing its bulky back.

Read on

Maruti to make Dzire shorter and cheaper - The Economic Times

So do you guys think that to be cost competitive, the Sedan is going in for a different versions?

Or our govt should relax the 4000mm to some higher number?

Last edited by .anshuman : 7th January 2011 at 15:20. Reason: Ir repairable tags removed.
Old 7th January 2011, 08:50   #2
BHPian

Re: Increasing CS models in India

Dezire in its current avatar is not a very spacious sedan, chopping off about 6 inches will make it even worse. Maurti may decide to reduce just the trunk, which is more likely, but it would result in the car being more out of shape than it is!

Would be interesting to so what they do. Etios is surely waking up Maruti.
Old 7th January 2011, 10:09   #3
BHPian

It seems like Dzire and Manza both are planning on reducing the size (and thereby weight) with the same engine to compete with Etios for performance.

However IMO the better car would be the XYLO CS.
Old 7th January 2011, 10:25   #4
BANNED

Good the Etios can be said to be the cat amongst the pigeons.

A Manza CS was always on the cards
Old 7th January 2011, 13:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Even i read it this morning. Dezire is currently at 4.16 Meters and will now come under 4 meters. More on the lenght of Indigo CS. Not sure what that is going to do to space. Most likely they will only be able to alter boot space.

As for other cars, it is said that Logan CS is in the making, Mahindra Xylo Mini and Scorpio Mini as well.
Old 7th January 2011, 13:21   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

the famous amby with its CS ('Cut Short') version would I guess be rather similar to the ancient old Morris Oxford of the '50's. Or the old landmaster of the early '60's.

todays news talks about Swift Dezire getting a CS version as also the Logan - all in competition to the Etios.

It is so nice to see manufacturers adapting to consumer needs/ wants/ aspirations!
Old 7th January 2011, 13:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post
Dezire in its current avatar is not a very spacious sedan, chopping off about 6 inches will make it even worse. Maurti may decide to reduce just the trunk, which is more likely, but it would result in the car being more out of shape than it is!

I also read the news at ACI
SCOOP! New Dzire under 4 metres | Autocar India
the news is regarding the cs version of soon to be launched next gen Swift. Pls confirm.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:17   #8
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

i am 6 ft 2 in tall and found the back seat in the swift dzire very comfortable indeed. it was a taxi from Hertz or someone in Calcutta a year or so ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM View Post

Old 7th January 2011, 14:24   #9
BHPian

The Indica Vista is 3795 mm in length. What can they accomplish with 20 cm more?

Pradeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Last edited by pradkumar : 7th January 2011 at 14:26.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:35   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pradkumar View Post
The Indica Vista is 3795 mm in length. What can they accomplish with 20 cm more?
In India we want a saloon and not a hatch. See the success of the Indigo CS. Basically what you will get is an updated Indigo CS with the FIAT/Tata engine.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:14   #11
BHPian

Quote:
i am 6 ft 2 in tall and found the back seat in the swift dzire very comfortable indeed. it was a taxi from Hertz or someone in Calcutta a year or so ago.
This is a blanket statement. Even a 800 will have enough rear leg room if you push the front-seat all the way front. Dezire has very tight leg room - it's a fact.

I think CS models are better than their original counterparts. Most often the boot travels empty, hence cutting a few inches of it will not affect the practicality much.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Increasing CS (sub-4 meter) sedans in India

^^ I agree. I am 6'2" tall too, Do i find the rear seat of DZire/Swift/Punto/any other small car comfortable? Ans: Depends on the height of the person on the front seat and how much of the available space he uses.

So my classification of Rear seat space(Rough):
Tight- Swift, DZire, Punto, Polo etc
Better- Figo, Indigo CS, Indica V2, i20 etc
Good: Vista, Manza, Logan etc
Old 7th January 2011, 15:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Expect a wafer thin rear bumper & smaller boot. No change whatsoever to the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gshanky View Post
It seems like Dzire and Manza both are planning on reducing the size (and thereby weight) with the same engine to compete with Etios for performance.
I highly doubt a Manza CS will be launched anytime soon. Tata has way too many hatchback + sedan options in the 3.5 - 5.0 lakh price band, and will be risking severe overlap. You can get away with overlap if you are a Maruti with a 100,000 monthly sales tally, not Tata whose Indica / Indigo / Vista / Manza sell <20,000 combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i am 6 ft 2 in tall and found the back seat in the swift dzire very comfortable indeed.
The Dzire has about the same space as a Swift, main difference is in the angle of the rear seat. The Swift & Dzire are known for their cramped rear benches. Anyways, the point is....if you were comfortable in a Dzire, you'll be a LOT more so in a Manza or Etios.
Old 7th January 2011, 15:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

With referece to rear leg space and especially when using cabs, most often the drivers seat is pulled almost to the middle or quite up front to liberate a lot of leg rooms at the back. Also, atleast i hve yet to see a very tall driver as of date. Most of them are of average height. Else imagine if all drivers are over 6.2 or more, with the seat fully pushed back, then the rear is almost usless

Same case in any car i drive. After I sit, i am a litle over 6'3", so i have to push the seat all the way back rendering the rear seat useless

As for the Dezire, the ony leverage with the engineers would be to chew off the boot, as the Dezire does have a fairly decent sized boot at present.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Good the Etios can be said to be the cat amongst the pigeons.
A Manza CS would be great, the only thing stopping me from finalising the Manza was the humongous boot. Is there any update on when this would be available?
Do the CS models impact the cabin size in any way? I hope the only reduction is in the boot size!

Most Viewed