Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2011, 16:20   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
It will be smarter move if they come with a 1.6 liter petrol engine
What is so smart about going for a smaller engine in the premium sedan segment? India isn't a market where 200cc separates different variants of a 10+ lakh sedan. Toyota knows that, if they launch the 1.6, they can make the 1.8 R-I-P. On the spec sheet, a 1.6 won't necessarily look good when the competition offers 1.8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Anyway, if they are to stay competitive, they would need to offer a few extra features as well.
Altis already has amongst the best feature list in the segment. If there's two cars that need more equipment, it's the Civic & the Laura petrol!

Last edited by GTO : 8th January 2011 at 16:21.
Old 8th January 2011, 17:26   #17
Team-BHP Support

Re: Facelift Corolla Altis Spied by Autocar in Bangalore !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well, the 'new' 2011 Corolla in US still has the same 132bhp output from the 1.8 mill. And it only has a 4-speed AT. So, i think there is no chance India gets anything better. 1.6l engine option could be a possibility like another poster mentioned.
Yes but in Malaysia and Thailand they now have the 2ZR-FE dual VVT-i engine with 140PS and 7 speed Super CVT-i transmisson.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:02   #18
Team-BHP Support

Even I too read about the Altis in Malaysia/Thailand. Hopefully they bring it on to India, but importantly without a increment in price!

And with petrol prices soaring high, they should also look at improving specs for the diesel segment. That would be really some thing to look forward to.
But I guess it may only remain a wish list.
Old 8th January 2011, 18:35   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am quite sure the new Civic will set the C+ market on fire again once it is launched in 2011/2012. Though it must be said that the new model would have the current Civic's big shoes to step into.

We all know what happened to the 9G Corolla after the current Civic was introduced back in June '06. Toyota won't want to lose their hard won lead in this segment.

We generally get the Thai version of the Corolla in India. It is not entirely unreasonable to expect the 140 BHP 2ZR-FE dual VVT-i engine in the Altis' mid life refresh.

Regards,
Old 8th January 2011, 22:07   #20
BHPian

Last week, Me and my Friend were saw this "patched" up Toyota near Jayanagar 4th Block, Bangalore. We were not sure which car this was, Is this the same car under discussion?

Facelift Corolla Altis Spied in Bangalore!-30122010.jpg

Sorry for the quality, Shot from my Nokia Cellphone camera. We tried getting closer but got caught in the traffic. This was as close as we could get.
Old 9th January 2011, 14:07   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Last week, Me and my Friend were saw this "patched" up Toyota near Jayanagar 4th Block, Bangalore. We were not sure which car this was, Is this the same car under discussion?
Yups, that's the refreshed Altis. Thanks for the photo!

Regards,
Old 9th January 2011, 17:03   #22
PCS
BHPian

Hey that colour actually matches with cruze colour !!! Is that a new colour ?

If the engine is not changing, then why are they testing extensively.

Guys if you look at care fully even the grade badge is covered.

New engine expected for indian market ?
Old 10th January 2011, 01:38   #23
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post

Attachment 479388

Sorry for the quality, Shot from my Nokia Cellphone camera. We tried getting closer but got caught in the traffic. This was as close as we could get.
Very good catch 007. Your photo clearly indicates that thus new Altis is very near to its launch. Nice colour too. I'm glad Toyota has upped its strategy for the recently launched Altis that too immediately after the launch of Etios.
Old 10th January 2011, 07:06   #24
Team-BHP Support

That explains it. Its the engine make over! Some how I did not like the front grill of the Thai version. The current India version looks much much better!
One can see that grill in the International Corolla thread.
Old 10th January 2011, 15:26   #25
Senior - BHPian

Great to see newer version of Altis. I guess it has a steering wheel like Etios has (not totally circular but flat at the lower side)

This means that the current gen Altis resale value in the market will dip and I can finally buy 1st gen Altis instead of pre altis corolla.
Old 10th January 2011, 17:13   #26
BHPian

I drove the existing diesel and was amazed at their guts. It is so low on initial pickup that you are hard pressed to believe Toyota has such an offer. It's refined et all but then it is also a 12 lac rupee car and definitely rather probably a Spark can give it a run for it's money at a red light. What about the existing customers who bought the 1.4 D4D if the 1.6 D4D comes?
Old 10th January 2011, 17:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

For those who havent seen the previous thread in International Automotive Scene forum:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...-malaysia.html
Old 11th January 2011, 02:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

The front end looks like a step backwards,but makes it look a little bit more mature.And the ornate grille takes away the ugliness of the bonnet shut line.
The rear looks upmarket-ish like the Mark X and at the same time like the older corolla.
Think that he 1.6l petrol engine will be priced lower to fight with the City as ACI said.
Also hope that Toyota modifies their european 2.0l diesel engine to fit inside the Corolla quickly and phase out this Yaris engined model.
Old 13th January 2011, 14:55   #29
BHPian

Saw two Altis with masked badge and taped headlight corners and tail lamps portions in JP Nagar, Bangalore. One blue (may be the one that bond bhai spotted) and one off-white. I couldn’t find any changes from current Altis. Sorry couldn’t take a picture.
Old 14th January 2011, 13:58   #30
BHPian

Rear looks very civic-ish. Even the sides look more or less civic-ish. People who like the previous civics design will probably go for this car - apart from the general "Toyota crowd". The Civic heading for our shores looks ugly.

Most Viewed