Team-BHP - Maruti Omni - Engine no/Chasis no badge Missing After a Repaint
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Omni - Engine no/Chasis no badge Missing After a Repaint (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/94974-maruti-omni-engine-no-chasis-no-badge-missing-after-repaint.html)

I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He has a maruti van which is due for FC. In the process to get it done, he verified the car and found that the engine no/Chasis no badge is not there. They had got the van re-painted 3 years ago and the painting shop guys have not fitted that back(if they had removed in the process of painting). My friend also did not notice that.
Now the RTO inspector will verify the entry in the form and the badge physically during FC routine.
How can we explain the inspector and will he give FC without it ?

Mods,
Please move/merge to the appropriate section/thread, if this is in wrong section/thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rk_sans (Post 2204362)
I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He has a maruti van which is due for FC. In the process to get it done, he verified the car and found that the engine no/Chasis no badge is not there. They had got the van re-painted 3 years ago and the painting shop guys have not fitted that back(if they had removed in the process of painting). My friend also did not notice that.
Now the RTO inspector will verify the entry in the form and the badge physically during FC routine.
How can we explain the inspector and will he give FC without it ?

Mods,
Please move/merge to the appropriate section/thread, if this is in wrong section/thread.

Rksans,
Chasis number is engraved into the chasis itself. There no badge.
For a maruti van, check under the front seats. It should be there.

Incase Chasis number is really missing then you can get the FC done with the help of an agent. The car wont have to go the RTO.

Car will have to be inspected by the RTO inspector at the RTO, even an agent will not be able to help now since the rules are strict

You dont need the badge, the chasis no is engraved right below the drivers seat(remove the seat). The badge is for convenience

With the engine/chassis number missing, hope your friend got back the same car he dropped in for painting stupid:

My cousin has an Omni, and yes, the number is below the driver's seat.

This is a common problem with Omni. The plate indicating the Engine and Chassis No is fixed to the RHS B Pillar by two rivets. This is prone to get bent with any slight external force usually during egress when shoes or chappels can do the damage. Maruti saved two rivets here. It is this way in Alto also. Had it been fixed at the four corners this would never have happened. Call it Maruti's value engineering.

But this is not at all a serious problem, because the chassis no can be seen in the mudguard below the driver's seat. But the serious problem is when the mudguard corrodes and needs replacement or during accident repairs.

Maruti, please take note.

In all such cases where the number is missing due to corrosion or tinkering, would one be stepping on the wrong side of the law by stamping the chassis number again at the appropriate spot?
Regards,
Ashok

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashphil (Post 2251651)
In all such cases where the number is missing due to corrosion or tinkering, would one be stepping on the wrong side of the law by stamping the chassis number again at the appropriate spot?
Regards,
Ashok

As long as you are stamping back the same engine / chassis number, I don't see why it should be a problem with the authorities. For instance, when I got a new body on my Jeep, there was no option but to remove the factory number plate.