Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.77%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.81%
Canvas shoes 42 7.23%
Regular sports/walking shoes 310 53.36%
Leather shoes 17 2.93%
Driving shoes 53 9.12%
Other 22 3.79%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2005, 12:57   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whenever I am out on long trips, theres only one way to drive : Barefoot! This is the only way I "feel" my car the most...and it results in a precision oriented driving style.

Next up is keds with a really thin sole.

GTO
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th December 2005, 12:57   #17
BHPian

i have a good collection of slip ons, sandals and while driving i prefer something which does not have a sliperry sole because it tends to lose the grip on the pedal so i prefer something which has kidnof a rough sole . other wise flats, heels anything is ok with me. heels sometimes do have problems for some girls but it is ok with me. and i always keep a pair in my car if the ones i m wearing are not comfortable while driving. yes i also like to feel the accelerator barefoot and i drive like that too sometimes.

shubbhi
Old 28th December 2005, 13:09   #18
BHPian

Barefoot for me. IMO, you have to feel the pedal for precision control
Old 28th December 2005, 13:19   #19
BHPian

Bare foot or just with socks. I feel control ismore important than style!! . With bare foots I have good feel on accelerator and brakes.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:03   #20
BHPian

Nikes,Addidas or any other sports footwear for me.

I Never drive for long durations with formal shoes. Hurt like hell after sometime and the feet become stiff - basically,the one on the throttle.

Never tried barefoot though.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday I saw some really neat sneakers by PUMA, didn't know whether they were driving or riding shoes, seemed more like the latter. Great snug fit, but would be inconvenient if you had to step out of the car ever. And they come in colours other than red too, like Black, and a tiny Ferrari badge towards the rear, that seemed more like an afterthought.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:07   #22
BHPian

for all bare-foot fans (seem to be loads of them here)

- dont you find that driving barefeet is more uncomfy for long drives (or is it just me )

- also, while it does give you better 'feel' of the engine no doubt - isnt this rather psychological in nature. its more of the vibration and the 'tightness' of the pedal that you feel, rather than actual response of the engine.
goldie_malhotra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2005, 14:16   #23
BHPian

Osioz or slippons , even for the long trips i prefer osioz
Old 28th December 2005, 14:18   #24
BHPian

Hey bala,
I mentioned this in your review thread itself. That bump next to the accelerator is really irritating. I even managed to scrap off some surface from it. On long drives its bare foot only. With corsa and a clear highway, all you need is a small amount of pressure with your toe for cruising.

In city changing in and out of shoes freq is difficult. So it’s with shoes in city.

Quote:
dont you find that driving barefeet is more uncomfy for long drives (or is it just me )
Actually driving bare foot is more comfortable. Except that on high way under heavy breaking, the shoes keep moving forward and backward Which is a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited by gkrishn : 28th December 2005 at 14:25.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:25   #25
BHPian

I feel more comfort in sneakers than the executive shoes.
Old 28th December 2005, 14:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Feel of accelarator?

what is that

even with big sole you will be pressing & releasing accelarator the same amount
sorry but I am unable to understand all that *feel* stuff

As for me anything goes as long as I am comfortable
Old 28th December 2005, 15:46   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adya33
what is that
even with big sole you will be pressing & releasing accelarator the same amount
It has to be felt so description is futile here :-) If you play cricket, you'll know how different it is to strap anything on or off with your gloves on. You take off the gloves and it's so easy. This is something very similar to that. (Ajmat had given far better rubber analogy sometime back, but let me not steal it).
Old 28th December 2005, 15:58   #28
DRC
BHPian

Yes! I too had the same problem and changed a lot of footware just because I was not comfortable driving. Finally I found one pair (real cheap ones) of slip ons from Bata.
They are really light , flexible, have thin sole and grippy. I dont know what they are called. They look like Hybrid between Chappal and shoe, so we call them Shappals. Many of my friend too bought them after I recommended.

Woodland, leecoopers are not very good to drive, They normally push down more pedals you actually want to step on..
Old 28th December 2005, 16:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Like Steeroid and Viper, i can drive wearing pretty much anything...from chappals to heavy trekking shoes. I am surprised that so many people here prefer driving bare-foot on the highways. I, personally, like heavy shoes for highway driving since they fulfill the role of cruise-control to some extent.

I once tried driving bare-foot and the whole feel of the pedals changed...so much more pressure was required. Didn't like the experience much so never tried it again.
Deeps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2005, 16:43   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deeps
Like Steeroid and Viper, i can drive wearing pretty much anything...from chappals to heavy trekking shoes. I am surprised that so many people here prefer driving bare-foot on the highways. I, personally, like heavy shoes for highway driving since they fulfill the role of cruise-control to some extent.

I once tried driving bare-foot and the whole feel of the pedals changed...so much more pressure was required. Didn't like the experience much so never tried it again.
Actually it is not very surprising that so many people feel driving barefoot is so much more comfortable. Have you seen that undergarment ad, "Its next best thing to wearing nothing"? Actually I can think of an even better analogy buttt... you know

I have a formal shoe in which I always used to find driving the toughest. In fact I am a bit afraid of driving in it because I always have to understand how much to release the accel pedal rather than how much to press. I never get a feel wearing the shoe. I realised it much later that because of its construction it actually fits all around my feet so tightly that probably my feet feel a bit "breatheless" (reduced blood supply?!!). On top of that it also has a heel. The net effect is that I get very little feel in it.

Otherwise I wear anything and drive. Still I believe driving barefoot is the best if you can manage it.

Most Viewed