Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Your preferred footwear for driving?
Barefoot! 80 13.77%
Flip flops/Chappal/Slippers 57 9.81%
Canvas shoes 42 7.23%
Regular sports/walking shoes 310 53.36%
Leather shoes 17 2.93%
Driving shoes 53 9.12%
Other 22 3.79%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2005, 16:02   #46
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk
Personally, I don't think it is possible to drive safely barefoot.
I once (only once) drove my Yamaha RX 100 with hawai
chappals.

- mvnk
Are we discussing riding bikes barefoot/ prefered footwear while riding, driving cars barefoot/ prefered footwear while driving or both here? When I used to own a RD350, I tried to drive her many times, but all she would ever let me do is ride her. Now, at red lights (Traffic signals, no dirty mind LOL), I often try putting a foot on the road to balance my car, but the door always gets in the way... Luckily, my car doesnt fall to a side.

Even I don't want to start a slanging match. But...

While being goody-goody and politically correct is all right,
I just meant that as a tongue-in-cheek remark... To further promote the good humour
Old 29th December 2005, 16:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

If you want to COMMUTE, wear shoes.
But if you want to DRIVE, go BARE-FOOT....!

@surya, no flame intended, but just as those who are "driving for living", at least some of us are "living for driving" right....?

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th December 2005 at 16:28.
Old 29th December 2005, 16:34   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk
Personally, I don't think it is possible to drive safely barefoot.
I once (only once) drove my Yamaha RX 100 with hawai
chappals.

- mvnk

Yes. You are right. Riding a bike with bare foot is not at all safe. But here we are discussing about the ideal footware for driving a car.
Old 29th December 2005, 18:05   #49
BHPian

My two paise on this subject:

Lately i have been driving with a slightly narrow sandal which has pin like stickies on its surface to promote better grip for the foot and the nether surface is also well ribbed for good grip. This is great for those scenarios where the underside of your feet are sweaty after long bouts of driving (despite the A/C). I bought this from a nearby town called Ranipet which is the hub of the leather manufacturers down south. Many of you wont believe, but it is possible to get a good Florsheim shoe for less than a 1000 bucks if you know the right people there. (Sorry, that was off topic)

I have tried driving barefoot, but i faced a particular problem. During spirted driving sessions, where frequent switching between the accelerator and the brake is needed for the right foot, i had instances where my right foot would almost overreach the brake pedal. I like meeting the brake pedal with the toe part of the foot, but i often ended up meeting it with the middle of my feet or my inner soles. So, i quit barefoot driving. Based on the enthusiastic support for the style though, i am going to try it once more to see if the mistake was just mine.

And i would beg to differ with the gentleman who seemed to deprecate the barefoot driving style. It is always horses for courses and everything is relative. While something might be just right for one person, it might not be for another. Lets understand and appreciate that fact.
Old 29th December 2005, 19:49   #50
BHPian

I drive with pretty much any type of footwear; sandals, shoes, boots, sneakers, goan slippers...

Tried driving barefoot for a while. Loved it, but quit soon after when
someone pointed out that it gets a little addictive and one loses the
ability to drive comfortably with footwear on. Don't know how true the
claim was, but oh well...

Cheers
Old 13th May 2006, 16:35   #51
BHPian

Footwear

I do not know where to post this. This seem the most apt, so here goes.
The other day, I saw my cousin who had just parked outside my house still in his seat and putting his shoes on. To my surprise, he said he always drove barefoot since it gave him a better feel of the pedals.
I on the other hand, have never felt comfortable driving in anything but the hardest and smoothest soles. I used to think everyone preferred my kind of footwear. My reasoning was that the smooth sole allowed my foot to slide up and down the pedals with my heels stationary. But this guy it seems moves his entire feet with the pedals.
I wonder what all you others do.
Old 13th May 2006, 17:19   #52
BHPian

yes the thin soled shoes do gives a better feel of the pedals.
but using no footwear is like inviting trouble.

it is better to drive with light weighted soft shoes (or sneakers!)

the best shoes are like the white shoes we used to wear for our schools on Saturdays!!

i personally prefers light-weights sports shoes for driving as they are comfy and can take me places!

i sometimes feels a bit problem in driving with thick hard soled boots.

ask your friend to buy a good pair of soft shoes else he might be in some trouble someday!
coz human skin doesnot has grooves which are a must to have a proper grip on the pedal!
Old 13th May 2006, 17:38   #53
BHPian

yup specially if ur feet sweat that would mean Hydroplaning on the pedals ? and gosh on a summers day it would be quite a stink.. but if ur feet dont sweat and they smell heavenly then whats the prob .. some people who dont have tacho's and have the accelerator cable actually use a lot of feedback from the pedal vibrations..

unfortunately i do sweat .. (partiall thanks to mumbais' humidity ) and my feet dont smell like daises so .. i do wear shoes & to top that I have large feet, so big " I have just become a Green Beret " soled shoes tend to sometimes press 2 pedals at a time ! so i prefer good old sneakers whenever i can

related post here m8 http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlight=shoes

Last edited by Kinetik : 13th May 2006 at 17:45.
Old 13th May 2006, 21:17   #54
BHPian

What I find comfortable is...........

# White Cotten socks of towel material.
# Natural leather shoes with flat rubber soles.
# Laces tied loosely while driving long distance

Never ever bare foot. Yucks can't think of doing that. Its like showing disrespect to your "Palace on wheels".

So long....
Old 13th May 2006, 22:40   #55
BHPian

I drive with shoes (while going to office) and other times with chappal (that woodlands, nike types with big grips)

My friend drives always barefooted. He wears his shoes everytime he gets down the car and everytime he gets in he wears it.
Old 13th May 2006, 22:54   #56
Senior - BHPian

Used to love driving barefoot.... esp on long drives!.... drive with shoes while driving to work etc... god know what we have trod on on those occassions (and transfer to the pedals) when one uses footwear! - had this pointed out once - dropped the habit since...

Miss it though:(

Last edited by kb100 : 13th May 2006 at 22:56.
Old 14th May 2006, 19:47   #57

Out of all the shoes i've driven in, i feel those 200 rupee BATA shoes are the best. I get maximum feedback when i'm wearing those.
Old 14th May 2006, 20:21   #58
Senior - BHPian

basically dont use anything with excessive cushioning or an air-bladder if you want to get a feel/feedback from the pedals.
Old 14th May 2006, 20:40   #59
ECM
BHPian

Bata ki Hawai chappal is best for me and I always keep it behind my seat and use it when I go for a long drive.
Old 14th May 2006, 21:11   #60
BHPian

Quote:
You must be a tempo trax driver... - mvnk
Aren't these guys humans too. They are also Drivers like you and me are entitled to have thier preferences. One must & should respect the other man's choice.

So long....

Most Viewed